Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New letter to send to ABKCO concerning 50th Anniversary of Let it Bleed
Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 00:19

Thanks to the flu keeping me in bed the last two days, I have crafted a letter in support of the 50th Anniversary of Let it Bleed next year. Please add any comments before I send.

Mr. Jody Klein
ABKCO Records
85 5th Ave 11th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Dear Mr. Klein,

After the remastering of The Rolling Stones catalogue in SACD released in 2002, I sent you and your father, the late great Allen B Klein, a letter of interest involving ideas for The Rolling Stones catalogue. In the letter, I gave some recommendations based on fan interaction of what was most desirable for the Stones fan to include capitalizing on the anniversary of the greatest live album ever released to date, Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (completed and released in late 2009 for the 40th anniversary) and the On Air BBC sessions (released for Christmas 2017). I along with many other fans were very pleased by these coming to light and thank you for both projects.

Recently, ABKCO has capitalized on the 50th anniversary of Their Satanic Majesties Request last year and Beggars Banquet this year. While I am pleased at the thought of releasing the stereo and mono versions in a boxed set, it is still missing the mark of what the fans are wanting. As the Stones career has paralleled that of the Beatles, I’m sure you have seen what the Beatles released on the 50th of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band release and this year’s White Album release. Fans of the Beatles are thrilled with what was released because it is not just the stereo and mono versions of the discs, but the outtakes and demos that were released in those box sets.

You may be asking, what was missed with the Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet box set releases? The thing missed are the unreleased gems and different takes on the songs. Looking at the most recent release, it is well known that the Stones performed many takes of songs for the Rock and Roll Circus that were not released, and it is rumored that songs performed did not make the final cut such as “Route 66” and “Confessing the Blues.” Those combined with alternate takes of Jumping Jack Flash and Child of the Moon (not on the album but from that same period of time) as well as alternate takes of the songs on the album could have been included. In addition, there are definitely some unreleased tracks from the Surrey, March 1968 and Trident, June 1968 sessions for Beggar’s Banquet including: “Blood Red Wine (eventually morphed into Sister Morphine and Winter)”, “Still A Fool” (AKA “Two Trains”) “And I Was A Country Boy (kind of sounds like the future Let it Bleed), “ Did Everybody Pay Your Dues?” (AKA “Street Fighting Man” with different lyrics). “Stuck Out All Alone” (A.K.A “Hamburger To Go”), and the superb rocker “Highway Child” (AKA “The Vulture”). Maybe the rationale behind not releasing these is the plan for an Anthology type series of both DVDs and CDs like what the Beatles did a few decades ago, and ABKCO is holding those tracks out until such a time to release. Or maybe there is some contractual agreement with the band that those unreleased gems and different takes on songs are never to leave the vaults. If it is the former, that would be awesome for the fans and very profitable for ABKCO and it is my hope it will be done soon. If it is the latter, it would be a travesty to not give the fans what is desired and already out there in less quality bootlegged form.

The purpose of this letter is to put in perspective what ABKCO should consider with the 50th anniversary of Let It Bleed to include all of the historical and significant things that the Stones did in 1969. We are coming up on the this and honestly, this can be the greatest opportunity for ABKCO to come through for the fans. Doing the stereo and mono versions of the entire album is nice, since that is the pattern you have started with the previous 2 releases; however, more should be included. These are the things to consider in making an awesome box set that fans will truly enjoy:

1. Work with whoever has the rights to the Maysles film to release the entire Altamont concert with DVD and CD. This is a piece of history, much like Woodstock, that should be allowed access to the fans. This was greatly missed when the 40th Anniversary issue of GYYYO! was released. If this cannot be released as part of Let It Bleed box set, then it deserves it’s own release next year. The band sounded great from what was released in the Gimme Shelter theatrical release, so I am confident the rest of the show is worthy of release and is a necessity given the historicity of the event.

2. Release a complete show (or a separate box set of several shows), unedited, and not overdubbed or maybe even a box set of 3-4 shows. Many rock historians consider the first ever bootleg to be the Oakland 1969 show that received a bootleg title “Live’r Than You’ll Ever Be”. That one should be considered even though the Stones played more confidently and better on the latter part of the tour.

3. If not a complete show from the tour, consider a compilation of live tracks that could be called Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out -Alternate Version. These would include the same songs they played on tour, but just not chosen for the GYYYO! official release. Examples of tracks to consider: “Jumping Jack Flash” and “Satisfaction” from the 1969 tour that open the movie Altamont-Gimme Shelter. Why these versions did not go on the GYYYO! live album puzzles me. Both are clearly the best live versions I’ve heard of either song with outstanding guitar work from Mick Taylor. If this GYYYO-Alternate is in consideration as a compilation of tracks from the tour, please make sure the first ever live version of Gimme Shelter is included and consider the unedited Sympathy For The Devil that was officially released on GYYYO! I don’t mean to be critical, but I have never understood why “Sympathy For the Devil”- from the official live album GYYYO! has the fourth lyric edited from the song. It definitely puzzles and confuses me. (As every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners are saints, as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer…). A complete representation of the 1969 tour is in order here to include all of the possible songs played on the tour and will complement the already issued GYYYO! 40th released almost a decade ago.

4. Work with whoever owns the rights of the Hyde Park July 5th, 1969 free concert in memory of Brian Jones. “I’m Yours, She’s Mine”, (a cover of a song by Johnny Winter which happened to be the recently deceased Brian Jones’ favorite song), “Gimme A Little Drink” (AKA Loving Cup), “Down Home Girl” (the only time they ever performed this song live) “Honky Tonk Women” (the first ever performance of the song) “No Expectations” (clearly the best ever version of this song live) are the true gems from this concert. The Stones also did “Jumping Jack Flash”, “Mercy, Mercy”, “I’m Free”, “Stray Cat Blues”, “Midnight Rambler”, “Street Fighting Man”, and “Sympathy For the Devil”. However, the first five songs that were mentioned before would be the songs that I think most people would like to hear in a cleaned-up, non-bootleg soundboard recording. Maybe a few of these tracks could be considered for the above mentioned GYYYO Alternate compilation. Currently, the only thing that is available is sourced from a mono video that was made of the show by Granada TV. If the whole show could be available in a potential From the Vault series, that would be great.

5. Include a disc of unreleased gems like the unique versions of “Gimme Shelter” with Keith, instead of Mick on vocals, and “You Got the Silver” with Mick, instead of Keith on vocals. Other gems include: “Honky Tonk Women” (alternate version with the Paris verse and Taylor solo missing), “Loving Cup” (there are two alternate versions different than the 1972 release Exile On Main Street one of which was recorded at the first sessions with Taylor in 1969 originally titled “Gimme A Little Drink”), “Who Am I?” and “Hillside Blues” (the latter being a blues take clocking in at over eleven minutes, with sensational guitar work from Richards and Taylor). Again, you may be choosing to do an Anthology to include all the unreleased gems in a box set so it would be redundant to include here in the Let It Bleed box set.

Mr. Klein, with all due respect, I plead with you to not miss out on this opportunity to make the Let it Bleed box set the best it can be. Obviously, it may not be possible to do all five of the items mentioned above; however, if you do some of what is mentioned above, then it will increase chances for increased sales and praise from the fans.

Please know I am not trying to put ABKCO down, just trying to explain things that have been positive releases from the fan perspective. For instance, Universal Records did a great job with Sticky Fingers release. They included live tracks from the Roundhouse and the entire Leeds concert that was often bootlegged to now be officially released. They also put out the Marquee broadcast on CD & DVD in the From the Vault series. Included with Sticky Fingers were a handful of alternate versions of songs. I assume Universal had to work with ABKCO since you still have the rights to the some of the songs just as both companies worked together for the greatest hits release Grrr! and previously on 40 Licks.

In addition to how Universal handled the Sticky Fingers re-release, they did a wonderful job with the Exile On Main Street release previously as well as the Some Girls release to include live shows from that era and unreleased tracks. When you ask the fans of the Stones, they will point to these releases by Universal as the “way it should be done.” When asked by fans about what ABKCO has done, they will point to Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (GYYYO!), the entire 60s catalogue remastered in mono and stereo, and the recent BBC release as “wins;” however, the box sets for the last two albums 50th anniversary editions as “losses.” Many, including me, felt the GYYYO! 40th missed out on a few things and can now be rectified with the 50th anniversary coming up coinciding with the Let it Bleed release.

Final comments, in review, the fans would prefer to have the following items:
#1- Doing Let it Bleed better than ABKCO did with Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggar’s Banquet (and better than the Beatles have done with their re-releases). Some examples mentioned earlier in the letter that could be included:
- Original album in stereo and mono (if there was a mono version)
- 1969 Hyde Park remastered DVD and CD
- 1969 Altamont release of entire Stones set on DVD and CD
- 1969 Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out -Alternate to celebrate what has always been described by Mick Jagger as his favorite tour. You could probably put 3 or 4 shows in a box set on its own from this tour. Since the 40th Anniversary was already released, this would be tracks that did not make the official release.
- A complete show from the tour unedited and not overdubbed.
- Disc of outtakes and unreleased tracks from that period

#2- From the Vaults – The Stones Bootleg Series 50th Anniversary
Instead of using live options in a Let it Bleed box set, consider this as a stand-alone product released at the same time. Possible shows that fans would be interested in purchasing would be Hyde Park 69, Oakland 69, Baltimore 69, New York 69, Altamont 69. One way to reduce costs on your end would be to eliminate the middle man and production of materials for CD cost and allow fans to order the Bootleg Series directly from your website, including paying directly via a credit card to download the concerts in FLAC format. Selling these shows at a reasonable cost will give you a huge profit margin if properly done and marketed. Easily, I think the Altamont show would sell a minimum of 50,000 downloads and possibly 100,000.

Most importantly, if nothing else here in this idea is regarded as worthy of considering, you should release the entire Altamont concert if available from a clean soundboard recording. This is just as much a piece of history as Woodstock was. A double-disc should be issued with the entire show, which included the Jimmy Reed blues number that the Stones only played once “The Sun is Shining,” as well as the first-ever performance of “Brown Sugar,” and the appearance of a staple for tours to come in “Gimme Shelter.” A DVD of the entire Stones performance would be worthy of release as well. Maybe a 50th Anniversary box set of Altamont DVD & CD should be considered?

#3- Anthology- 63-71 DVD and CD or 60th Year Anthology
Outside of the Let It Bleed box set that is the focus of this letter, if I may, I would like to repeat some of the things I wrote to you and your father fifteen years ago, because there are still some ideas out there to consider for an official release. The time is now to begin preparation for the 60th Anniversary of “The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World.” Why wait till the Stones are in their graves to release to the public? By then, the interest will not be what it is now. I do believe as we prepare for the 60th anniversary of the greatest rock and roll band in the world in 2023, it would be prudent for those who ABKCO employs to start preparing for an Anthology 1963-1971 release for both DVD and CD. Yes, modeling after the Beatles very successful 10 DVD release and 3 double-disc release would be perfect. I know Crossfire Hurricane and the two decades old 25 x 5 release may be all the video available, and if that is the case, then this project would be superfluous; however, if this could be a project to work with Universal on to span all six decades of the Stones, then it could be huge because there would be so much to release from the vaults of unreleased tracks throughout the career of the Stones.

Tracks would be unreleased tracks, BBC tracks not released with the recent On Air release, and different takes of songs. Get back into the vaults and bring the fans what they want. ABKCO will make money, fans will get what they want without having to go the illegal bootleg route, and I’m sure the Stones will be happy that everyone else is happy. I am hoping this was already in the works and why we did not see this on the recent 50th anniversary releases.

In closing, thank you for your time and attention to this matter. It is very important to me and to the millions of fans that I’m representing with this request. I have spent many hours sifting through research to provide you with several proposals that will please everyone in the Stones fan base. As I stated to your father, Mr. Allen Klein, fifteen years ago, I’m not looking for any compensation from this project or any accolades for making the suggestion to your company. I just want some “Satisfaction.” Please respond to my letter as soon as possible.

Best regards to you and your company,

Re: New letter to send to ABKCO concerning 50th Anniversary of Let it Bleed
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 1, 2018 01:39

Thorough, detailed and reasonable, i would offer this as my bit, remove the please respond asap, it comes across a little demanding imo, after you've established your bona fides.smiling smiley

Date: December 1, 2018 02:12

You need a hobby!

Date: December 1, 2018 04:38

Thanks for the advice on the removal of the demand... As far as a hobby- I said I have the flu stuck in bed with nothing better to do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 04:39 by bigmac7895.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 09:50

The point is: ABKCO can't do what you kindly suggest.
There's an old court's order preventing them to release any previuosly un-issued studio music, after "Metamorphosis".
They can buy footage from Granada Televison, from 'Gimme Shelter', BBC and/or broadcasting companies, but can't release the mentioned 'Gimme Shelter' with vocals by Keith Richards, for example.
That said, it's to be underlined that they are very good at missing opportunities!
Everybody here knows that a different rough mix of 'Street Fighting Man' was issued in USA, Italy and New Zealand, but still they did not use it for the anniversary edition of 'Beggar's Banquet'. The recent set would have been a little better.
If I was Jody Klein, I'd set up a team of well-known and respected Collectors and use it to start my own From The Vaults Series: almost surely, this would be a short series, but would be of some interest, at the least.
Last, but not least Andrew Oldham is getting old and it's time for him to be back with a major role. His music is not included in the mentioned court's order and we could get a lot of interesting news (do you remember the inedit 'I've Been Loving You Too Long' with MJ on vocals?).
Museums have curators, the heritage of the Rolling Stones is managed by a good company (I admire ABKCO), but lacks of curators, IMO.

One last point. Records are not enough. Books for record Collectors are the new frontier. ABKCO's archives could fill definitive books for us Collectors and became the definitve reference in terms of matrices, pressings and editions. Nobody can write these books without first-hand info. I am self-publishing books that are aknowledged as relevant improvments, but they are far from being definitive...
Hope your flu is over, bye,
Luca

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 09:59 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: December 1, 2018 16:50

The letter has good intentions and is sincere but probably too long...like you're telling them how to do their job. They might get annoyed and turned off just reading through the whole thing.

Date: December 1, 2018 16:51

Thanks Luca- that makes sense. I wonder if there is an end date on releasing archived items? I mean they released the missing 5 tracks on Ya Yas didn’t they? They also had to give permission to release Loving Cup on Exile 40th, and they still had rights to some things on Sticky Fingers so there has been some things released. Maybe it’s only with studio recordings- if that’s the case, they should be able to release a live box set or at least the Altamont show.

Date: December 1, 2018 16:57

Thanks for the tip Pale Rider I will go back and edit- I am a bit wordy. The point is they haven’t been doing a good enough job if fans are screaming for more. I don’t hear anyone screaming for more from The Beatles 50th releases. I’m sure Paul and Ringo, with Let it Be, will finally release the film with the best outtakes of tracks.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 1, 2018 17:17

Perhaps you should enlist Richard Ashcroft’s assistance...
He seems to have a strong opinion on ABKCO these days!

[www.radiox.co.uk]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 17:53

I love it - I wonder if it might be a good idea to have this as some type of online petition too!

Date: December 1, 2018 20:40

Lynd8
I love it - I wonder if it might be a good idea to have this as some type of online petition too!

It could be a great idea. Can you start one up?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:17

My version:

Dear Jody:

Last week, I bought the Satanic Majesties box set in Amazon’s “Cyber Monday” sale for £25. The reason it wasn’t selling (as the Beggars Banquet set is probably not selling) well and had to be moved at a deep discount is that it doesn’t have anything new. If you want to sell more copies of the Let it Bleed box (or any other reissue product), stop repackaging the same stuff over and over and include something that we don’t already have.

Yours truly,

Dr Bryant

——————————————————————-

Jody’s response:

Dear Dr Bryant:

Thank you for your letter. However, based on the ticket sales for the latest Stones tour, we have concluded that Stones fans enjoy listening to the same stuff over and over.

Very truly yours,

Jody

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 21:24 by drbryant.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:30

I am sure ABKCO are well aware of this, BUT as far as I am aware unreleased tracks from 50 plus years ago enter The Public Domain.
So can be released by anyone with the possession of the tapes, without fear of litigation.
I think.
Of course, the answer, as said before lies in getting an agreement with the Stones of course.

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:36

I'm not sure Mick & Keith would call A.Klein "great"...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:36

jlowe
I am sure ABKCO are well aware of this, BUT as far as I am aware unreleased tracks from 50 plus years ago enter The Public Domain.
So can be released by anyone with the possession of the tapes, without fear of litigation.
I think.
Of course, the answer, as said before lies in getting an agreement with the Stones of course.

As usual, not so simple. Copyright in recordings expires in Europe 50 years after the recording is made (unless it is released, in which case it’s 70 years from release). You don’t need permission of the artist (at least I don’t think you do), but you need to pay songwriter’s royalties for 70 years after the writer’s death. I may Be mixing my jurisdictions but it’s something like that.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 1, 2018 23:12

I think your letter is great.

I wonder if it is worth mentioning the ever-diminishing number of Stones fans that are the market for this kind of product

Wait 10-20 years and who will want it?

Unfortunately though, I think it will all fall on deaf ears.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: December 1, 2018 23:12

I love the idea! The tour of '69 is probably the most important factor of the bands live legacy. Their live performances that year is of great importace beyond the hard core fans. Hyde Park, the american tour, Altamont, and the London shows are not well enough explored. Do it!

Date: December 1, 2018 23:19

The five new songs for ‘Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out’ are from unused footgae by the Maysles brothers who licensed ABKCO. In the case of ‘Loving Cup’ and other songs on SF and EOMS, ABKCO sued the RS for having used them and the court allowed ABKCO to release new studio songs (‘Metamorphosis’). Since then, ABKCO can’t issue any unreleased studio music anymore.
Concerning live music, I’m not sure how things go. Facts are that ABKCO’s discography already covers the group’s major tours (US 1966, 1969), the U.K. 1965 tour plus ‘Rock And Roll Circus’ and BBC broadcasts. What more coud they do?
RSR’s recent releases cover almost every tour.
New studio music from the Sixties could be issued only after a major settlement among ABKCO (they’ve got the tapes), ABKCO’s Gideon Music (gathering money from copyright), RSR that does not sue ABKCO for releasing inedit music and and any other player involver. When? After the last Stone leaves the stage...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 23:23 by 1963luca0.

Date: December 2, 2018 00:32

mickjerome
that’s just a little brown nosing to get what I want. Gotta kiss up sometimes

Date: December 2, 2018 00:35

drbryant
My version:

Dear Jody:

Last week, I bought the Satanic Majesties box set in Amazon’s “Cyber Monday” sale for £25. The reason it wasn’t selling (as the Beggars Banquet set is probably not selling) well and had to be moved at a deep discount is that it doesn’t have anything new. If you want to sell more copies of the Let it Bleed box (or any other reissue product), stop repackaging the same stuff over and over and include something that we don’t already have.

Yours truly,

Dr Bryant

——————————————————————-

Jody’s response:

Dear Dr Bryant:

Thank you for your letter. However, based on the ticket sales for the latest Stones tour, we have concluded that Stones fans enjoy listening to the same stuff over and over.

Very truly yours,

Jody

That is probably a lot easier than my dissertation lol

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 2, 2018 02:23

drbryant
My version:

Dear Jody:

Yours truly,

Dr Bryant

——————————————————————-

Jody’s response:

Dear Dr Bryant:

Very truly yours,

Jody

Is this for real?

Ticket sales are due to seeing the band live. They also have new arrangements for the songs. Compare JJ Flash from each tour. They're not the same.

Date: December 2, 2018 04:32

No, it was sarcasm and quite funny.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 2, 2018 13:29

Dear Jody,

"How about reissuing Sam Cooke's Night Beat, with studio dialogue and outtakes?".

After all, it's the same company, ABKCO.

Date: December 2, 2018 19:15

The OP's letter has good spirit, but maybe some editing would help; if you're serious about sending it.
The idea, and the letter itself IMO delivers enough passion.
All the titles, examples, credits are going to be mumbo jumbo to the eventual reader of letter. all that would come a lot later.
I think at this stage all you would want to go for is making the point of "The reissues by the Stones should be a lot better. There is no incentive to buy the same album over and over; and it becoming obvious to even marginal fans that this is not a good buy".

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: December 2, 2018 19:43

1963luca0
The five new songs for ‘Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out’ are from unused footgae by the Maysles brothers who licensed ABKCO. In the case of ‘Loving Cup’ and other songs on SF and EOMS, ABKCO sued the RS for having used them and the court allowed ABKCO to release new studio songs (‘Metamorphosis’). Since then, ABKCO can’t issue any unreleased studio music anymore.
Concerning live music, I’m not sure how things go. Facts are that ABKCO’s discography already covers the group’s major tours (US 1966, 1969), the U.K. 1965 tour plus ‘Rock And Roll Circus’ and BBC broadcasts. What more coud they do?
RSR’s recent releases cover almost every tour.
New studio music from the Sixties could be issued only after a major settlement among ABKCO (they’ve got the tapes), ABKCO’s Gideon Music (gathering money from copyright), RSR that does not sue ABKCO for releasing inedit music and and any other player involver. When? After the last Stone leaves the stage...

They release the IBC demos on the Super Deluxe version of GRRR! I'm not sure who owned the rights but they were studio recordings.

They also released the bonus live tracks on the Super Deluxe version of Charlie Is My Darling.

My understanding is that they are not allowed to change the original running order order of albums by adding unreleased material on the album proper. It must be on a separate disc which is why the extra Ya-Ya's tracks were not incorporated in the correct running and were instead put on a separate disc.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 2, 2018 20:04

bigmac7895
Thanks to the flu keeping me in bed the last two days, I have crafted a letter in support of the 50th Anniversary of Let it Bleed next year. Please add any comments before I send.

Mr. Jody Klein
ABKCO Records
85 5th Ave 11th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Dear Mr. Klein,

After the remastering of The Rolling Stones catalogue in SACD released in 2002, I sent you and your father, the late great Allen B Klein, a letter of interest involving ideas for The Rolling Stones catalogue. In the letter, I gave some recommendations based on fan interaction of what was most desirable for the Stones fan to include capitalizing on the anniversary of the greatest live album ever released to date, Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (completed and released in late 2009 for the 40th anniversary) and the On Air BBC sessions (released for Christmas 2017). I along with many other fans were very pleased by these coming to light and thank you for both projects.

Recently, ABKCO has capitalized on the 50th anniversary of Their Satanic Majesties Request last year and Beggars Banquet this year. While I am pleased at the thought of releasing the stereo and mono versions in a boxed set, it is still missing the mark of what the fans are wanting. As the Stones career has paralleled that of the Beatles, I’m sure you have seen what the Beatles released on the 50th of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band release and this year’s White Album release. Fans of the Beatles are thrilled with what was released because it is not just the stereo and mono versions of the discs, but the outtakes and demos that were released in those box sets.

You may be asking, what was missed with the Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet box set releases? The thing missed are the unreleased gems and different takes on the songs. Looking at the most recent release, it is well known that the Stones performed many takes of songs for the Rock and Roll Circus that were not released, and it is rumored that songs performed did not make the final cut such as “Route 66” and “Confessing the Blues.” Those combined with alternate takes of Jumping Jack Flash and Child of the Moon (not on the album but from that same period of time) as well as alternate takes of the songs on the album could have been included. In addition, there are definitely some unreleased tracks from the Surrey, March 1968 and Trident, June 1968 sessions for Beggar’s Banquet including: “Blood Red Wine (eventually morphed into Sister Morphine and Winter)”, “Still A Fool” (AKA “Two Trains”) “And I Was A Country Boy (kind of sounds like the future Let it Bleed), “ Did Everybody Pay Your Dues?” (AKA “Street Fighting Man” with different lyrics). “Stuck Out All Alone” (A.K.A “Hamburger To Go”), and the superb rocker “Highway Child” (AKA “The Vulture”). Maybe the rationale behind not releasing these is the plan for an Anthology type series of both DVDs and CDs like what the Beatles did a few decades ago, and ABKCO is holding those tracks out until such a time to release. Or maybe there is some contractual agreement with the band that those unreleased gems and different takes on songs are never to leave the vaults. If it is the former, that would be awesome for the fans and very profitable for ABKCO and it is my hope it will be done soon. If it is the latter, it would be a travesty to not give the fans what is desired and already out there in less quality bootlegged form.

The purpose of this letter is to put in perspective what ABKCO should consider with the 50th anniversary of Let It Bleed to include all of the historical and significant things that the Stones did in 1969. We are coming up on the this and honestly, this can be the greatest opportunity for ABKCO to come through for the fans. Doing the stereo and mono versions of the entire album is nice, since that is the pattern you have started with the previous 2 releases; however, more should be included. These are the things to consider in making an awesome box set that fans will truly enjoy:

1. Work with whoever has the rights to the Maysles film to release the entire Altamont concert with DVD and CD. This is a piece of history, much like Woodstock, that should be allowed access to the fans. This was greatly missed when the 40th Anniversary issue of GYYYO! was released. If this cannot be released as part of Let It Bleed box set, then it deserves it’s own release next year. The band sounded great from what was released in the Gimme Shelter theatrical release, so I am confident the rest of the show is worthy of release and is a necessity given the historicity of the event.

2. Release a complete show (or a separate box set of several shows), unedited, and not overdubbed or maybe even a box set of 3-4 shows. Many rock historians consider the first ever bootleg to be the Oakland 1969 show that received a bootleg title “Live’r Than You’ll Ever Be”. That one should be considered even though the Stones played more confidently and better on the latter part of the tour.

3. If not a complete show from the tour, consider a compilation of live tracks that could be called Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out -Alternate Version. These would include the same songs they played on tour, but just not chosen for the GYYYO! official release. Examples of tracks to consider: “Jumping Jack Flash” and “Satisfaction” from the 1969 tour that open the movie Altamont-Gimme Shelter. Why these versions did not go on the GYYYO! live album puzzles me. Both are clearly the best live versions I’ve heard of either song with outstanding guitar work from Mick Taylor. If this GYYYO-Alternate is in consideration as a compilation of tracks from the tour, please make sure the first ever live version of Gimme Shelter is included and consider the unedited Sympathy For The Devil that was officially released on GYYYO! I don’t mean to be critical, but I have never understood why “Sympathy For the Devil”- from the official live album GYYYO! has the fourth lyric edited from the song. It definitely puzzles and confuses me. (As every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners are saints, as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer…). A complete representation of the 1969 tour is in order here to include all of the possible songs played on the tour and will complement the already issued GYYYO! 40th released almost a decade ago.

4. Work with whoever owns the rights of the Hyde Park July 5th, 1969 free concert in memory of Brian Jones. “I’m Yours, She’s Mine”, (a cover of a song by Johnny Winter which happened to be the recently deceased Brian Jones’ favorite song), “Gimme A Little Drink” (AKA Loving Cup), “Down Home Girl” (the only time they ever performed this song live) “Honky Tonk Women” (the first ever performance of the song) “No Expectations” (clearly the best ever version of this song live) are the true gems from this concert. The Stones also did “Jumping Jack Flash”, “Mercy, Mercy”, “I’m Free”, “Stray Cat Blues”, “Midnight Rambler”, “Street Fighting Man”, and “Sympathy For the Devil”. However, the first five songs that were mentioned before would be the songs that I think most people would like to hear in a cleaned-up, non-bootleg soundboard recording. Maybe a few of these tracks could be considered for the above mentioned GYYYO Alternate compilation. Currently, the only thing that is available is sourced from a mono video that was made of the show by Granada TV. If the whole show could be available in a potential From the Vault series, that would be great.

5. Include a disc of unreleased gems like the unique versions of “Gimme Shelter” with Keith, instead of Mick on vocals, and “You Got the Silver” with Mick, instead of Keith on vocals. Other gems include: “Honky Tonk Women” (alternate version with the Paris verse and Taylor solo missing), “Loving Cup” (there are two alternate versions different than the 1972 release Exile On Main Street one of which was recorded at the first sessions with Taylor in 1969 originally titled “Gimme A Little Drink”), “Who Am I?” and “Hillside Blues” (the latter being a blues take clocking in at over eleven minutes, with sensational guitar work from Richards and Taylor). Again, you may be choosing to do an Anthology to include all the unreleased gems in a box set so it would be redundant to include here in the Let It Bleed box set.

Mr. Klein, with all due respect, I plead with you to not miss out on this opportunity to make the Let it Bleed box set the best it can be. Obviously, it may not be possible to do all five of the items mentioned above; however, if you do some of what is mentioned above, then it will increase chances for increased sales and praise from the fans.

Please know I am not trying to put ABKCO down, just trying to explain things that have been positive releases from the fan perspective. For instance, Universal Records did a great job with Sticky Fingers release. They included live tracks from the Roundhouse and the entire Leeds concert that was often bootlegged to now be officially released. They also put out the Marquee broadcast on CD & DVD in the From the Vault series. Included with Sticky Fingers were a handful of alternate versions of songs. I assume Universal had to work with ABKCO since you still have the rights to the some of the songs just as both companies worked together for the greatest hits release Grrr! and previously on 40 Licks.

In addition to how Universal handled the Sticky Fingers re-release, they did a wonderful job with the Exile On Main Street release previously as well as the Some Girls release to include live shows from that era and unreleased tracks. When you ask the fans of the Stones, they will point to these releases by Universal as the “way it should be done.” When asked by fans about what ABKCO has done, they will point to Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (GYYYO!), the entire 60s catalogue remastered in mono and stereo, and the recent BBC release as “wins;” however, the box sets for the last two albums 50th anniversary editions as “losses.” Many, including me, felt the GYYYO! 40th missed out on a few things and can now be rectified with the 50th anniversary coming up coinciding with the Let it Bleed release.

Final comments, in review, the fans would prefer to have the following items:
#1- Doing Let it Bleed better than ABKCO did with Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggar’s Banquet (and better than the Beatles have done with their re-releases). Some examples mentioned earlier in the letter that could be included:
- Original album in stereo and mono (if there was a mono version)
- 1969 Hyde Park remastered DVD and CD
- 1969 Altamont release of entire Stones set on DVD and CD
- 1969 Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out -Alternate to celebrate what has always been described by Mick Jagger as his favorite tour. You could probably put 3 or 4 shows in a box set on its own from this tour. Since the 40th Anniversary was already released, this would be tracks that did not make the official release.
- A complete show from the tour unedited and not overdubbed.
- Disc of outtakes and unreleased tracks from that period

#2- From the Vaults – The Stones Bootleg Series 50th Anniversary
Instead of using live options in a Let it Bleed box set, consider this as a stand-alone product released at the same time. Possible shows that fans would be interested in purchasing would be Hyde Park 69, Oakland 69, Baltimore 69, New York 69, Altamont 69. One way to reduce costs on your end would be to eliminate the middle man and production of materials for CD cost and allow fans to order the Bootleg Series directly from your website, including paying directly via a credit card to download the concerts in FLAC format. Selling these shows at a reasonable cost will give you a huge profit margin if properly done and marketed. Easily, I think the Altamont show would sell a minimum of 50,000 downloads and possibly 100,000.

Most importantly, if nothing else here in this idea is regarded as worthy of considering, you should release the entire Altamont concert if available from a clean soundboard recording. This is just as much a piece of history as Woodstock was. A double-disc should be issued with the entire show, which included the Jimmy Reed blues number that the Stones only played once “The Sun is Shining,” as well as the first-ever performance of “Brown Sugar,” and the appearance of a staple for tours to come in “Gimme Shelter.” A DVD of the entire Stones performance would be worthy of release as well. Maybe a 50th Anniversary box set of Altamont DVD & CD should be considered?

#3- Anthology- 63-71 DVD and CD or 60th Year Anthology
Outside of the Let It Bleed box set that is the focus of this letter, if I may, I would like to repeat some of the things I wrote to you and your father fifteen years ago, because there are still some ideas out there to consider for an official release. The time is now to begin preparation for the 60th Anniversary of “The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World.” Why wait till the Stones are in their graves to release to the public? By then, the interest will not be what it is now. I do believe as we prepare for the 60th anniversary of the greatest rock and roll band in the world in 2023, it would be prudent for those who ABKCO employs to start preparing for an Anthology 1963-1971 release for both DVD and CD. Yes, modeling after the Beatles very successful 10 DVD release and 3 double-disc release would be perfect. I know Crossfire Hurricane and the two decades old 25 x 5 release may be all the video available, and if that is the case, then this project would be superfluous; however, if this could be a project to work with Universal on to span all six decades of the Stones, then it could be huge because there would be so much to release from the vaults of unreleased tracks throughout the career of the Stones.

Tracks would be unreleased tracks, BBC tracks not released with the recent On Air release, and different takes of songs. Get back into the vaults and bring the fans what they want. ABKCO will make money, fans will get what they want without having to go the illegal bootleg route, and I’m sure the Stones will be happy that everyone else is happy. I am hoping this was already in the works and why we did not see this on the recent 50th anniversary releases.

In closing, thank you for your time and attention to this matter. It is very important to me and to the millions of fans that I’m representing with this request. I have spent many hours sifting through research to provide you with several proposals that will please everyone in the Stones fan base. As I stated to your father, Mr. Allen Klein, fifteen years ago, I’m not looking for any compensation from this project or any accolades for making the suggestion to your company. I just want some “Satisfaction.” Please respond to my letter as soon as possible.

Best regards to you and your company,

BigMac, I admire your enthusiasm with this letter. Don't know if you remember this, but myself and several others from another Stones fan website who were big, big fans of Get Yer Yas Yas Out and the 69 tour crafted a petition beginning in 2008 knowing that the 40th anniversary of Ya Yas was coming and did a massive PR job (eg "The Ya Yas Project") via sending this petition (to Abkco and the Stones organization) requesting the re-release of Ya Yas in an expanded format with the additional bonus tracks and the inclusion of sets from the support acts. We sent this petition to all the major Stones fans sites (including this one). I personally paid for an add in Gold Mine magazine directing people to sign the petition. I don't want to toot our horns, but I believe that with all the fan support we got that we contributed to the re-release of Get Yer Ya Yas Out in an expanded form. Personally, what would have made the 40th anniversary a solid grand slam would have been the inclusion of a COMPLETE DVD Stones show from Madison Square Garden. My wish for the future- a box CD set of all the MSG shows from 69.

My advice to you- send that letter to ABKCO-it can't hurt!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-03 00:15 by Sighunt.

Date: December 2, 2018 23:37

IBC demos are a good point. Still, ‘Grrr’ was a joint release of ABKCO and RSR and this might the reason why it happened. In ant case, the album is out of both’s catalogues. Talking about integrity, yes it has to be respected.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 2, 2018 23:58

Great letter! My only objection (I might be wrong), isn't The Sun Is Shining a Elmore James-written tune?

Bring on the autumn '69 Live Box + The ULTIMATE Let It Bleed Box!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 3, 2018 01:22

I hope the OP knows that it is just as much The Rolling Stones themselves who are blocking the release of vault material. ABKCO can’t release any studio outtake without band approval.

It was rumored that Mick and Keith were in a studio earlier this year, listening to Beggars Banquet outtakes. Still, an agreement could not be reached with ABKCO.

If ABKCO would be allowed, they would have been releasing outtakes for the anniversary editions.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 3, 2018 01:29

mickjerome

Are you referring to the Dutch/German/... translation of his name? smoking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home