Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Albums considered not great, which only I get
Date: November 30, 2018 15:34

Taking the opposite direction form noughties thread, I started thinking about albums where you feel like you know the 'secret' but nobody else sees it. On the one hand you want the rest of the world to see it, on the other hand you kind of enjoy being one of the few in-the-know.
(the title sounded good, but now I am actually having to think on this one for a while...)

Ok, the Novaks. A superb band from Canada; their self titled debut album; should turn Stones fans on.

Be Bop Deluxe - they are not really unknown, but Bill Nelson ix brilliant IMO. I will pick "Sunburst Finish" as album.

Cockney Rebel - Steve Harley may have damaged his own reputation in later years by being a dweeb; but when he had CR going with "Human Menagerie", "Psychomodo" and "Best years Of Our Lives" he was tops.

Blitzen Trapper - I'll say "American Goldwing" but their catalog is mostly very good.

The Scientists - I am going out on a limb and say that the reunion album in 2007 may be their best "sedition". The early material is the core of the band, but the reunion was very good.

The Blow Monkeys - "Digging your scene"

The Tubes - "What do you want from Life" - they got the success they craved in 80's, but with it, the quality of the material went down the drain. up to '79 "Remote Control" they were sensational. especially live.

Empire of the Sun, Tahiti 80 - I think of them together - huge, sunny, synth rock.

Re: OT Albums considered not great, which only I get
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 30, 2018 15:40

Robert Cray - Strong Persuader

Every song on that album is great and this music is timeless! Well recorded and produced.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 30, 2018 16:19

Chris Fountain

Every song on that album is great and this music is timeless! Well recorded and produced.

I love that album too .

My offering, Repeat When Necessary by Dave Edmunds .

[Albert Lee's guitar work on Sweet little lisa is worth the entrance fee on its own. ]

Date: November 30, 2018 16:45

Miles Davis – Doo-Bop

I haven't come across one dude who likes this album. I love it, especially the reason Miles had for making it.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 30, 2018 16:58

ABB, VL........stones
Cristian periodista oficial Dylan
Animals by Pink Floyd
Last David Gilmour albums

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 30, 2018 17:05

Chris Fountain

Damn, Chris, your taste is excellent.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: November 30, 2018 17:06

The first couple of post-Faces Rod Stewart's:

A Night On The Town
Footloose and Fancy free

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 17:27

Anything by Keb Mo

Dat Dude is Dope

"I like the old me better"...haha. classic tune.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 30, 2018 17:35

"Berlin" by Lou Reed.
At least, as far as I can make out, it was very badly received when it came out, was not a commercial success and apparently in general perceived as one of his worst albums. When Lou Reed died, I read this somewhere and I was flabbergasted. I consider Berlin his best album, and in fact his only album really worth listening to (apart from some of the VU albums, but even those I wouldn't listen to entirely).

"Strictly Personal" by Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. Even Captain Beefheart doesn't like it. I think it's his best (together with the very different "Clear Spot")

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 30, 2018 17:40

"Child is Father to the Man" by the original Blood, Sweat, and Tears with Al Kooper, from 1968, especially "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know". They were one of the first rock groups to incorporate horns in a significant way. The later incarnation, with David Clayton Thomas, was more commercially popular, but Al Kooper's writing, vocals, and keyboards elevated that group to heights subsequent versions of BST would never reach.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 30, 2018 17:54

NEW ROUTES - LULU (1970):

Produced by Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd & Arif Mardin.

The personell is: Eddie Hilton, Jimmy Johnson, Cornell Dupree & Duane Allman, guitars.
Barry Beckett, keyboard
David Hood, bass
Roger Hawkins, drums.

Recorded at Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

Side One:

1. Marley Purt Drive
2. In The Morning
3. People In Love
4. After All (I Live My Life)
5. Feelin` Alright

Side Two:

1. Dirty Old Man
2. Oh Me Oh My (I`m A Fool For You Baby)
3. Is That You Love
4. Mr. Bojangles
5. Where`s Eddie
6. Sweep Around Your Own Back Door

And; ATCO records...

Date: November 30, 2018 18:16

GHS
IORR
Black and Blue

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: November 30, 2018 23:57

UNMASKED by Kiss

RADIO KAOS by Roger Waters

bye
Fernando

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 00:07

Not sure if it really fits, but I sincerely dig Emotional Rescue end-to-end.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 1, 2018 00:24

Cheap Trick "The Doctor"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 1, 2018 00:34

matxil
"Berlin" by Lou Reed.
At least, as far as I can make out, it was very badly received when it came out, was not a commercial success and apparently in general perceived as one of his worst albums. When Lou Reed died, I read this somewhere and I was flabbergasted. I consider Berlin his best album, and in fact his only album really worth listening to (apart from some of the VU albums, but even those I wouldn't listen to entirely).

Masterpiece.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2018 00:43

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 1, 2018 01:05

Bob Dylan

Slow Train Coming

Knopflers playing is so sweet and on the SACD version the 5.1 mix is sublime, it allocates everything too perfection imo, the lyrical content is such a departure and i really like the baring of Bob's witness, it's my Wife's favourite Dylan, she's a very observational person. I don't know how she ended up with this Rocker...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 1, 2018 02:35

SKILLS
Bob Dylan

Slow Train Coming

Knopflers playing is so sweet and on the SACD version the 5.1 mix is sublime, it allocates everything too perfection imo, the lyrical content is such a departure and i really like the baring of Bob's witness, it's my Wife's favourite Dylan, she's a very observational person. I don't know how she ended up with this Rocker...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I love that album, still have it and give it an occasional listen. Some deep emotion in Bob's voice and lyrics.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 1, 2018 02:44

The Who By Numbers-An antithesis to the bombast of Quadrophenia By Numbers is bright sounding, but lyrically very dark (probably amongst the Who's darkest lyrics and that includes Entwistles Success Story). Still a great album, the best song is Dreaming From the Waist, great bass playing by John Entwistle.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 1, 2018 03:27

I like The Who By Numbers as well.

Last two weeks I've been listening to It's Hard in the car. I think there is some great stuff on that album. Daltry has rarely sounded better.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 1, 2018 03:44

loog droog
I like The Who By Numbers as well.

Last two weeks I've been listening to It's Hard in the car. I think there is some great stuff on that album. Daltry has rarely sounded better.

It's Hard is not as bad of an album as some have made it out to be. I like Cry if You Want. When The Who performed it with My Generation a few years ago it kind of drove home the point that Cry if You Want was a grown up My Generation. I've Known no War is decent as well, along with the well known Eminence Front.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 1, 2018 03:56

Yes, who by numbers is also my favourite who album.

Also Goats Head Soup gets a lot of bashing which I don't get. I think there is not one single filler on it. Only the order is not optimal, especially Dancing with mr d is a weak opener compared to the previous three albums. Also the cover is weak compared to the previous three. And I think a weak cover lets an album automatically sound worse, maybe that's just me but I often notice that with myself. That's a strange psychological thing

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 1, 2018 04:05

I like One Life's Enough, Why Did I Fall For That, A Man Is A Man, One At A Time, as well as the songs you mentioned.

Funny thing, I never warmed up to Eminence Front, even though it became the most played song on the record.

There's a pair of albums by Procol Harum that I really like: Grand Hotel (side two is one of the all time greats) and Exotic Birds and Fruit. The songs As Strong As Sampson and New Lamps For Old on the latter record have a sense of melancholy that somehow speak to me right now. Nothing But The Truth sounds like Imperial Bedroom-era Elvis Costello.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 1, 2018 04:15

Spud
Chris Fountain

I love that album too .

My offering, Repeat When Necessary by Dave Edmunds .

[Albert Lee's guitar work on Sweet little lisa is worth the entrance fee on its own. ]

I slightly prefer Dave's "Tracks on Wax," but "Repeat" is great, too.

Mine would be Bryan Ferry's "In Your Mind." Also, the Everly Brothers' "Roots."

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 1, 2018 09:38

noughties
NEW ROUTES - LULU (1970):

Produced by Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd & Arif Mardin.

The personell is: Eddie Hilton, Jimmy Johnson, Cornell Dupree & Duane Allman, guitars.
Barry Beckett, keyboard
David Hood, bass
Roger Hawkins, drums.

Recorded at Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

Side One:

1. Marley Purt Drive
2. In The Morning
3. People In Love
4. After All (I Live My Life)
5. Feelin` Alright

Side Two:

1. Dirty Old Man
2. Oh Me Oh My (I`m A Fool For You Baby)
3. Is That You Love
4. Mr. Bojangles
5. Where`s Eddie
6. Sweep Around Your Own Back Door

And; ATCO records...

Great albums ! I've got them on a Rhino remaster, and feel that they are really funky from Lulu. If only she continued in this vein ?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 1, 2018 09:42

Under The Red Sky by Bob Dylan does it for me every time. It was slated because everyone expected an Oh Mercy follow-up, and he went and threw a massive curveball with what appeared, ostensibly, to be nursery rhymes, but have a closer listen and it will yield riches. You may have to ignore Wiggle Wiggle, but it has a sound and some quality of its own. Also, throw in Travelling Wilburys Vol 3, recorded at the same time.

It's far better, I hasten to add, than Empire Burlesque, Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: December 1, 2018 10:51

—-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 10:52 by Gigbag.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 1, 2018 12:24

tomcasagranda
Under The Red Sky by Bob Dylan does it for me every time. It was slated because everyone expected an Oh Mercy follow-up, and he went and threw a massive curveball with what appeared, ostensibly, to be nursery rhymes, but have a closer listen and it will yield riches. You may have to ignore Wiggle Wiggle, but it has a sound and some quality of its own. Also, throw in Travelling Wilburys Vol 3, recorded at the same time.

It's far better, I hasten to add, than Empire Burlesque, Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove.
Take another look at Dylan's Wiggle Wiggle and compare it to this [www.youtube.com]

Dylan took Howlin' Wolf's Evil, sped it up and added new lyrics to create Wiggle Wiggle. The lyrics are coded blues lyrics describing sexual intercourse [wiggle on your hands and knees, wiggle 'til it comes, wiggle like a pail of milk (in the blues a reference to semen), wiggle like a big fat snake etc.].

The song also references Mellow Down Easy by the great Little Walter (you wiggle, wiggle, wiggle everywhere): [www.youtube.com]

Dylan also references Willie Dixon's The Wigglin' Worm: [www.youtube.com] Another song about "getting it on".

Wiggle Wiggle is a great example of Dylan's deep knowledge of the blues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 12:30 by MrEcho.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 1, 2018 12:33

Neil Young, Everybody’s Rockin.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home