Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 44
Re: Can someone explain to me how this “Lucky Dip” thing works
Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: December 26, 2018 19:54

24FPS
I was at the first concert to use Lucky Dips, and therefore had no wisdom, and paid the price. If you can get LDs, get them. They are indeed significantly cheaper, and really, what the tickets SHOULD cost. You might end up in the pit staring into Keith's nose, but you could also end up with the shittiest seats in the house. (I did).

What I didn't know at the time was that people with crappy seats went to guest services and complained. They very often got better seats. (My original seats were so bad I could only see Ronnie.) I moved on my own, eventually, to a better view, but I still stuck up in the balcony.

If you're going to a stadium show, why bother to get tix ahead of time? My experience is that there are always great seats at the box office the night of. Or from scalpers who are in a mad rush to dump tickets before they're worthless. I got floor seats at face from the box office at Dodger Stadium, night of. At Staples in L.A. I got the Stones personal tickets when they released them to the public through the box office. I was 17th row at the side of the stage. (The band always holds on to a certain amount of seats until the night of.)

I know this is more difficult if you have a skittish lady with you who would freak out at the idea you wouldn't have tickets ahead of time. I had to show that I was pretty good at this before there was confidence in me. I'm just to old, and stubborn to sit on the phone for hours, or stand in line. But, it might be worth it to stay on the phone if you have a chance at Lucky Dips.

So you can give guest services your old ticket stub possibly after getting into the stadium? arena? and that's what they take in the exchange from you?

Re: Can someone explain to me how this “Lucky Dip” thing works
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 26, 2018 21:53

two4fun111
24FPS
I was at the first concert to use Lucky Dips, and therefore had no wisdom, and paid the price. If you can get LDs, get them. They are indeed significantly cheaper, and really, what the tickets SHOULD cost. You might end up in the pit staring into Keith's nose, but you could also end up with the shittiest seats in the house. (I did).

What I didn't know at the time was that people with crappy seats went to guest services and complained. They very often got better seats. (My original seats were so bad I could only see Ronnie.) I moved on my own, eventually, to a better view, but I still stuck up in the balcony.

If you're going to a stadium show, why bother to get tix ahead of time? My experience is that there are always great seats at the box office the night of. Or from scalpers who are in a mad rush to dump tickets before they're worthless. I got floor seats at face from the box office at Dodger Stadium, night of. At Staples in L.A. I got the Stones personal tickets when they released them to the public through the box office. I was 17th row at the side of the stage. (The band always holds on to a certain amount of seats until the night of.)

I know this is more difficult if you have a skittish lady with you who would freak out at the idea you wouldn't have tickets ahead of time. I had to show that I was pretty good at this before there was confidence in me. I'm just to old, and stubborn to sit on the phone for hours, or stand in line. But, it might be worth it to stay on the phone if you have a chance at Lucky Dips.

So you can give guest services your old ticket stub possibly after getting into the stadium? arena? and that's what they take in the exchange from you?

it might be worthwhile trying. But I doubt it'll work with LD tickets since they are easily recognizable as LD tickets – there's no price printed on them!

Re: Lucky Dip tickets US 2019
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 27, 2018 08:20

Yes, you've got to try. And it may vary from venue to venue or even from one customer service desk to another, one staff member to another.

I think that Topi drew bad LD tix at one of the Euro gigs in the spring and he just kept agitating and complaining so much over and over that they put him in pit finally.

Anyone else have experience with getting LDs upgraded?

plexi

Date: December 27, 2018 11:52

timbernardis
Yes, you've got to try. And it may vary from venue to venue or even from one customer service desk to another, one staff member to another.

I think that Topi drew bad LD tix at one of the Euro gigs in the spring and he just kept agitating and complaining so much over and over that they put him in pit finally.

plexi

it was relatively easy in Europe since there were quite a lot tickets left (remember that new LDs were available for the UK shows a week before the tour kicked off; for Stuttgart prices for regular were significantly lower a few weeks before the show (seats that were 240 Euros were sold for 99 Euros etc)

Date: December 27, 2018 12:31

Why complain if you draw bad ld? Its in the game. If you want to be sure to have top tickets pay for them

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 27, 2018 15:06

slewan
timbernardis

plexi

it was relatively easy in Europe since there were quite a lot tickets left (remember that new LDs were available for the UK shows a week before the tour kicked off; for Stuttgart prices for regular were significantly lower a few weeks before the show (seats that were 240 Euros were sold for 99 Euros etc)

I have gotten LD's both upgraded and downgraded (traded higher priced seats for GA floor). It may have been a bit easier in Europe due to the number of shows in such close proximity, but the US tour is all stadiums as well, and there will undoubtably be more LD's released before show time(s). I believe the more cheap seats sold the likelier for a better seat via LD.

There are two places where you can negotiate for a better seat.
First is at the box office where you pick them up. Start with shmoozing the person distributing the tix (at the very least it gives you a connection if you go back to ask for an upgrade).. I heard of others getting an upgrade right at the box office last leg, and like I mentioned I had no problem "downgrading" to my preferred ticket in Cardiff, so definitely worth a shot.

The second place is the customer service station at the venue.
Here an upgrade is much more likely in my experience (have been upgraded there a few times over the years). The people working the customer service inside are typically more seasoned full time people who's sole purpose is to make the guest happy. Works best when the reason for the request is a good one (can't climb the stairs that high, can't see the stage, etc.)

People were having such good luck getting pit tickets on the UK tour, (myself included) that I was almost sorry I didn't buy them for all the shows, hopefully the luck will continue.. cool smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2018 17:08

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Why complain if you draw bad ld? Its in the game. If you want to be sure to have top tickets pay for them

I think it's so you can get better seats. Squeakiest wheels get the most oil.

Date: December 27, 2018 19:15

treaclefingers
PaintMonkeyManBlack

It's a fair question..
I think that once word got out (mostly here) that nosebleed LD seats could be exchanged under certain circumstances (behind pillar, can't see part of stage etc) the idea of asking for upgrades became more common as it often worked.

Ultimately, I am more than fine with whatever seats I end up with (got them for six shows this leg).
But, if I get nosebleeds, I will definitely ask as it doesn't take much effort and could pay off nicely.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 27, 2018 20:14

It's not a LD situation - but our tickets were upgraded from the lower level at the rear of Twickenham Stadium last June due to obstruction of the lighting and sound towers.

Date: December 27, 2018 22:34

Shawn20
It's not a LD situation - but our tickets were upgraded from the lower level at the rear of Twickenham Stadium last June due to obstruction of the lighting and sound towers.

nearly every venue has some seat held back to meet such situations. Simply because they can't tell before the stage, the videoscreens, the sound towers, the lightning and the cameras have been installed which seats will have obstructed view. Thus the have to have the option to move unlucky people to better seats

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 28, 2018 08:09

timbernardis

plexi

Yes, Staples Center 2013, had to complain to about 6 different people, but finally got upgraded from the very top of Staples to mid lowers. (Thank you Justin!)

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 28, 2018 08:14

slewan
Shawn20

nearly every venue has some seat held back to meet such situations. Simply because they can't tell before the stage, the videoscreens, the sound towers, the lightning and the cameras have been installed which seats will have obstructed view. Thus the have to have the option to move unlucky people to better seats

This happened to us back in 1997- Stones at Dodger Stadium. We had seats that were great, and were told they didn't exist. They gave us some upper levels, I said that wasn't acceptable to me but then when we were told we would be refunded 100%, my wife said...we'll take it.....I wasn't in the mood to argue.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 28, 2018 14:44

Timbernardis is referring to my experience in Prague where the venue staff didn't seem to know what LD was. They were giving everybody GA. Hardly random.

Let's say we didn't complain. We closed the deal.winking smiley After an hour of so of, ahem, negotiations, we got pit tickets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-28 14:45 by Topi.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: December 28, 2018 19:08

Topi
Timbernardis is referring to my experience in Prague where the venue staff didn't seem to know what LD was. They were giving everybody GA. Hardly random.

Let's say we didn't complain. We closed the deal.winking smiley After an hour of so of, ahem, negotiations, we got pit tickets.

Of course you did. It's in your DNA.

Date: December 28, 2018 22:23

MisterDDDD
slewan
timbernardis

plexi

I have gotten LD's both upgraded and downgraded (traded higher priced seats for GA floor). It may have been a bit easier in Europe due to the number of shows in such close proximity, but the US tour is all stadiums as well, and there will undoubtably be more LD's released before show time(s). I believe the more cheap seats sold the likelier for a better seat via LD.

There are two places where you can negotiate for a better seat.
First is at the box office where you pick them up. Start with shmoozing the person distributing the tix (at the very least it gives you a connection if you go back to ask for an upgrade).. I heard of others getting an upgrade right at the box office last leg, and like I mentioned I had no problem "downgrading" to my preferred ticket in Cardiff, so definitely worth a shot.

The second place is the customer service station at the venue.
Here an upgrade is much more likely in my experience (have been upgraded there a few times over the years). The people working the customer service inside are typically more seasoned full time people who's sole purpose is to make the guest happy. Works best when the reason for the request is a good one (can't climb the stairs that high, can't see the stage, etc.)

People were having such good luck getting pit tickets on the UK tour, (myself included) that I was almost sorry I didn't buy them for all the shows, hopefully the luck will continue.. cool smiley

Mister DDDD -- this is one of the wisest posts I have ever seen on IORR. You give options and suggestions as to how to handle bad LD tix. I intend to follow your suggestions closely this spring. Hell, I might just tell them I have an obstructed view even if I don't. What are they going to do, go to your seats to see if the view is indeed obstructed?

BTW, have you ever had to pay for an upgrade from LDs? Or any of you out there?

plexi

Date: December 28, 2018 22:25

BluzDude
slewan
Shawn20

This happened to us back in 1997- Stones at Dodger Stadium. We had seats that were great, and were told they didn't exist. They gave us some upper levels, I said that wasn't acceptable to me but then when we were told we would be refunded 100%, my wife said...we'll take it.....I wasn't in the mood to argue.

Does this mean that the tickets you had were phoney tickets, perhaps bought off a scalper?

plexi

Date: December 28, 2018 22:27

Topi

you say closed the deal -- does this mean there was some type of consideration (as a judge u know what this term means), whether monetary or otherwise?

plexi

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: December 28, 2018 23:08

timbernardis
BluzDude
slewan
Shawn20

Does this mean that the tickets you had were phoney tickets, perhaps bought off a scalper?

plexi

This happened to me in 2002. I bought back of the floor tix from TM, but it turned out the row didn't exist once they were done configuring everything. Guest services replaced the tix with 10th row right on the catwalk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-28 23:09 by GAFF.

Posted by: Harpo ()
Date: December 29, 2018 00:11

We had LD for the Anaheim CA Honda Center show. Next to the last row all the way in the back. Noticed the very last row was empty. A band was playing (can't remember if it was the Stones or the warm-up) and I noticed a gal in the same row but across the isle from us get up from her seat to go get some beers. Then some guy in a suit shows up and empties out her entire row, swapping your LD ticket for a better ticket. The gal showed back up with a tray full of beers wondering where her people went.

The suit guy swapped our row next and gave us just off the floor seats about 3/4 the way out on the tongue stage. Great seats. They were upgrading the back seats for the up close seats that didn't sell.

The next thing you know the gal with the tray of beers squeezed her way past us in our new seats. She found her people!! All is well but the row now has more people than seats. Everyone was standing anyway.

Then the ushers show up asking every person in the row for their ticket. They ended up emptying out the entire row, show your ticket, then go back to your seat. What a pain in the ... Missed a song or so.

Moral of the story... If your LD seats are really bad, they may upgrade you, but you need to be in your seat or you will miss the bus. The gal with the beers did. If you need to get beers or get rid of some in the restroom, leave your ticket with your other lucky dipper.

Harpo

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 29, 2018 03:13

Not a Lucky Dip story, but my January 2003 entry on IORR from the United Center:

"I had an experience I didn't expect. I had bought tickets a while ago and sold them when my son didn't want to come. After seeing the HBO special, he decided we had to go. I dialed up Ticketmaster, and they had two on the club level behind the stage. When we arrived at the statdium, after a long time at the window, the ticket guy came back and said that our original tickets were obstructed view, and would we mind if we took some $350 seats in section 101, row 13? We accepted his apology. Great upgrade!"

Remember when $350 was the most expensive ticket in the house?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-29 06:06 by bam.

Date: December 29, 2018 07:07

timbernardis
Topi

you say closed the deal -- does this mean there was some type of consideration (as a judge u know what this term means), whether monetary or otherwise?

plexi

None whatsoever. All it took was persistence. Basically we just asked for pit (wristbands) and got them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-29 07:10 by Topi.

Date: December 30, 2018 20:21

Topi
timbernardis
Topi

plexi

None whatsoever. All it took was persistence. Basically we just asked for pit (wristbands) and got them.

That is great! I could only hope to get so "lucky." What u did may not be an option at every show, but you've got to try.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-30 23:00 by timbernardis.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 1, 2019 20:10

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
PaintMonkeyManBlack

It's a fair question..
I think that once word got out (mostly here) that nosebleed LD seats could be exchanged under certain circumstances (behind pillar, can't see part of stage etc) the idea of asking for upgrades became more common as it often worked.

Ultimately, I am more than fine with whatever seats I end up with (got them for six shows this leg).
But, if I get nosebleeds, I will definitely ask as it doesn't take much effort and could pay off nicely.

indeed...this is a no lose proposition. I've only lucky dipped once...got horrible, in the rafters, behind the stage tix in Toronto. i was resigned to seeing the rolling stones from behind the whole show, not even a screen to look at. 5 min before showtime an usher asked our entire row if we'd like better seats.

no sh*t we would!

we were seated in lower level, row 15 beside the stage, stones at eye level. don't think I've had better seats ever and I've had close floor seats.

Now, with people suggesting to 'just ask' for better seats, why the hell wouldn't you?

Date: January 1, 2019 20:54

Indeed, as long as there is no cost, which there shouldn't be!

plexi

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 1, 2019 21:22

We know what they look like and we all have had great or shitty seats throughout the many years. This time I don't care with having LD Tix. Big Screens Help Even if sight lines are not favorable with LD tix - who cares? This could be our chance and I refuse to miss them under any circumstance. I just want the Loud Speakers to carry me away despite a stadium.

Miami bound. But I need money to pay property taxes, Waste management HOA etc... LD luck hopefully, fixes this ordeal or a strand of hope. I want no confrontations with the tix counter.

When I was much younger, I spent money on tix rambunctiously but then at younger ages I didn't give a shit.

Please don't f me Stadium LD Clan.

Date: January 2, 2019 04:10

If not a confrontation, it is at least worth asking the question mildly. You just might get Lucky.

peace/plexi

Date: January 7, 2019 06:51

Ok, I know this question came up not long ago here or in some other thread and more than one person knew the answer -- what were the Lucky Dip tix called on the 2013 US 50 and Counting tour, before they were called Lucky Dip? They were $85 for a pair. The LD moniker didn't come til later. This question has come up on the Shidoobee Facebook page.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 06:53 by timbernardis.

Date: January 7, 2019 13:20

I don't believe the Lucky Dips had an official name in 2013.
This is how they referred to them when announcing the '13 Vegas show..

"As a part of the general on sale, there are a variety of ticket prices including over a 1,000 tickets per show at $85 (including service charges). Some will be among the best seats in the house in the Tongue Pit, with others spread around the arena. These tickets will be sold as a pair. You will find out your seat location when you pick them up the night of the show. These tickets are exclusively available via www.rollingstones.com/tickets"

This was my first time buying the "lottery tickets', which is what I believe most people referred to them as then. Ended up with nosebleeds, and then getting them switched to a lower section next to the stage by MGM customer service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 13:42 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: January 7, 2019 13:55

If you look on Ticketmaster, it looks like on many of the shows LD owners might get very lucky.

Date: January 7, 2019 14:01

Off the top of my head I think the Lucky Dip moniker was first used on 14 On Fire

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 44

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home