Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: OT: albums concidered great which I don`t get
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 5, 2018 11:38

Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed. I am a Lou Reed fan. However, if you listen to this album to entirety, there will be permanent hearing issues.

Date: December 5, 2018 11:49

Chris Fountain
Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed. I am a Lou Reed fan. However, if you listen to this album to entirety, there will be permanent hearing issues.

I saw him play it back to back a few years back. Unfortunately, that's the only Lou-show I saw before he passed. It was pretty bad, as I knew it would be smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 5, 2018 12:01

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

I saw him play it back to back a few years back. Unfortunately, that's the only Lou-show I saw before he passed. It was pretty bad, as I knew it would be smiling smiley

He actually played it in concert? You've got to be shittin me! It was a protest album or concert. Why could someone who could write such songs as Bottoming Out, Wagon Wheel, Satellite of Love, do this ?

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: December 5, 2018 15:00

I always thought Metal Machine Music was a contract filler much like @#$%& Blues?
For artists I can't "get" my vote is Bjork

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 5, 2018 15:03

duke richardson
Sgt. Pepper according to Keith:

>> Some people think it's a genius album, but I think it's a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like Satanic Majesties—"Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we.<<

I like at least 6 or 7 other Beatles albums better that Sgt Pepper

Date: December 5, 2018 15:19

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

He actually played it in concert? You've got to be shittin me! It was a protest album or concert. Why could someone who could write such songs as Bottoming Out, Wagon Wheel, Satellite of Love, do this ?

They handed out earphones to all concertgoers, when we entered the club. It was surreal. He toured the album in 2010 smiling smiley

Here's a clip from the show in Denmark:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-05 15:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 5, 2018 16:20

To all those who dislike Sgt Pepper - please give the album one more chance now and then. It took me long to really like Pepper because I always thought there were better songs on other Beatles albums. But with Pepper it's not so much about the songs but more about the atmosphere that the album creates, just as it is with Exile. When I am not in the right mood I can't listen to pepper but sometimes I'm in exactly that mood and then Pepper seems like one of the best albums ever.
Also Sgt Pepper was a mile stone production and sound wise at that time so you have to understand that the people were stunned to hear this new sound. Fifty years later that production is nothing mindblowing anymore but at that time it really was (though I only write about what I head from other people, I wasn't born at that time)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-05 16:21 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 7, 2018 06:48

I never get this demotion of Sgt. Pepper that’s been going on over the years. I thought it was a great, even perfect record when I first heard it in early 70’s, and my impression hasn’t changed one bit ever since.
On the other hand, I feel Revolver is way overrated these days. Undoubtedly a good album in its own right, though not in the same league as Pepper IMHO. For me, Revolver feels like a transitional work that bridges the gap between Rubber Soul and Pepper. A fairly commonly observed modern opinion that Revolver has better songs than Pepper is totally beyond me.

Those generally regarded as below-par songs in Pepper, i.e. Fixing A Hall, Mr. Kite, When I’m Sixty-Four, Lovely Rita, Good Morning Good Morning etc...personally I’d rate them higher than the equivalent in Revolver, such as She Said She Said, Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing, Dr Robert, I Want To Tell You to name a few. Among the lesser talked-about songs on each one of the albums, I generally feel the former group better than the latter.

The rise of Revolver and the fall of Pepper for the last two decades or so...I suspect snobbery acts some role here.

My two cents.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2018 08:21

Sgt. Pepper and Revolver...both masterpieces, but I have a closer attachment to Revolver.
And then there's Rubber Soul, the White album, and Abbey Road to contend with, not to mention all of their early albums.
Desert pick choice at this minute - The White album.

Date: December 7, 2018 13:18

A Hard Day's Night would be my pick. Not a weak track on it.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 7, 2018 13:23

RisingStone
I never get this demotion of Sgt. Pepper that’s been going on over the years. I thought it was a great, even perfect record when I first heard it in early 70’s, and my impression hasn’t changed one bit ever since.
On the other hand, I feel Revolver is way overrated these days. Undoubtedly a good album in its own right, though not in the same league as Pepper IMHO. For me, Revolver feels like a transitional work that bridges the gap between Rubber Soul and Pepper. A fairly commonly observed modern opinion that Revolver has better songs than Pepper is totally beyond me.

Those generally regarded as below-par songs in Pepper, i.e. Fixing A Hall, Mr. Kite, When I’m Sixty-Four, Lovely Rita, Good Morning Good Morning etc...personally I’d rate them higher than the equivalent in Revolver, such as She Said She Said, Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing, Dr Robert, I Want To Tell You to name a few. Among the lesser talked-about songs on each one of the albums, I generally feel the former group better than the latter.

The rise of Revolver and the fall of Pepper for the last two decades or so...I suspect snobbery acts some role here.

My two cents.

thumbs up Yeah, is it snobbery or what? I think it`s the same notion that has raised Love`s Forever Changes so high. I don`t really get it. What`s so great about just three chords and a guitar? Mr. Kite, Fixing A Hole and Lovely Rita are among my Beatles favourites.

Date: December 7, 2018 15:46

noughties
RisingStone

My two cents.

thumbs up Yeah, is it snobbery or what? I think it`s the same notion that has raised Love`s Forever Changes so high. I don`t really get it. What`s so great about just three chords and a guitar? Mr. Kite, Fixing A Hole and Lovely Rita are among my Beatles favourites.

eye rolling smileyI’m in trouble here...I really like Forever Changes.
The overall orchestration and the strings arrangement adopted on this album are nothing short of beautiful, some of the most accomplished ever heard on any pop records.
To set the record straight, FC has always been highly regarded in Britain, at least musically if not commercially, perhaps more so than in America, since its release (it is one of the catalystic records that inspired the young Robert Plant). If it has raised its status lately, I’d say it got to the position the album deserves.

Date: December 7, 2018 16:04

Maybe I`m wrong. However, there seems to be some musical history revision around that praises albums that weren`t so big in their time. The 90`s hipster generation rediscovered Velvet Underground and Syd Barret, for instance.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 7, 2018 16:30

I'm not a revisionist but I have always felt Revolver is the better album between it and Sgt Peppers. Revolver seems less dated. This is not to say Pepper is not a great album. just that Revolver seems to be the album where the Beatles truly became the "Beatles", they stopped trying to be folk rock (Rubber Soul) or covering old rock and roll and country other material and started to truly experiment. There's no denying that Revolver has some weak moments (Dr. Robert, Within You WIthout You, and Yellow Submarine, which I never cared for) but the other tracks (like Tomorrow Never Knows in particular) more than compensate for that).

One album I have never understood such respect for Pet Sounds. Its an OK album, but not one I listen to very much. I fail to see why its considered so groundbreaking. I much prefer whatever Smile would have been.

Date: December 15, 2018 21:12

Joni Michell generally and Both Sides Now especially. My brain recognizes this song`s greatness, but my heart is far away... It`s the melody...

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 16, 2018 02:26

I would say anything by the beatles, macartney solo, etc. Just don't get it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2018 02:49

go on a merry go round …. eat some jelly babies ….

ROCKMAN

Date: December 16, 2018 03:15

Rockman
go on a merry go round …. eat some jelly babies ….

I need something deeper than that.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 16, 2018 10:49

Gentleman by The Afghan Whigs is the worst kind of music for me. Physically and emotionally, I can't make it to song #3.

Also those 'legendary albums' by Love, Radiohead, Nirvana, Bjork (besides Debut), King Crimson, Joy Division, Pixies, Nick Drake, The Smiths, The Doors (besides LA Woman), Television, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Cure, Sonic Youth, Frank Zappa, ... I don't get it.

I can add Jimi Hendrix. Those albums aren't bad and I can imagine it was huge and revolutionary when those were first released. Just, today, in 2018, I don't get it.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 16, 2018 11:09

Roger Waters amused to death.
Roger Waters in general

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 16, 2018 11:16

stevecardi
Nirvana’s “Nevermind.” “In Utero” is such a better album.

I agree thumbs up

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 16, 2018 11:32

RisingStone

My two cents.

Yep, I agree.

There's still hope for Dirty Work.

Date: December 16, 2018 22:57

BowieStone
RisingStone

My two cents.

Yep, I agree.

There's still hope for Dirty Work.

This is, dare I say it, one of the worst revisionisms that has ever happened and spread in the history of rock ‘n’ roll criteria IMHO.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 17, 2018 02:10

noughties
Joni Michell generally and Both Sides Now especially. My brain recognizes this song`s greatness, but my heart is far away... It`s the melody...

Yeah, noughties. I've always loved the idea of Joni Mitchell, tell myself that she's great - but one time listen and I'm mostly done.

On the other hand, I hung in there with Astral Weeks and after a few spins, I fell in love. Been neglectful lately, so maybe it's time to revisit it.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 17, 2018 05:13

DandelionPowderman
A Hard Day's Night would be my pick. Not a weak track on it.

Cannot add more than say I totally agree here. It's a perfect album. I think it does not have the reputation it deserves because it's from their early, almost "naive" pop years, but almost every track on it could have been a successful single.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2018 10:05

I need something deeper than that.

Okay...…… go to Cooper Pedy and have an ice-cream

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: December 17, 2018 14:56

potus43
I would say anything by the beatles, macartney solo, etc. Just don't get it.
SHOCKED!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:04

Miss Troll arrives!!! HAHAHAh

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:11

i don't get rocks off.
rocks off what? somebody put rocks on him?
no, obviously, and i should NOT have to be saying this over and over..
...it's like just a way to describe something else....
like it's not like, like some dude shoved rocks on him dude
and he's all get them offa me.
no. not knowing that boy the way i do. it's about ess eeee exx
when he's sleeping?
um, i like to 'do it' when I'm kinda awake...
...but then, i don't have access to round the clock dealers.
maybe he was being metaphoria like on a 'trip' or some kind, i'm thinking.

______________________-

oh that's a song rocks off me..
not an "albums," as this thread architect has posited.
so, uh, all the above stuff i jsut writ?
well, never mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 19:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:21

I didn't get Twist With Me Volume 3. (the chubs)
but the first 2 volumes were Excellent!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home