Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: albums concidered great which I don`t get
Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: November 30, 2018 12:09

BORN TO RUN by the Boss, it is a good album but not a gem, at least for me.

and also all the stuff from JOURNEY.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 30, 2018 12:55

dmay
Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys.

That one took me a while, don't give up, it's a masterpiece !

It also took me a while to "get" "Gimme Shelter" when I was a teen and first heard it on "Rolled Gold", somehow the pop stuff was easier to get into, songs like "Yesterday's Papers" for instance ;-)

I still have a hard time with stuff from the VU...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 30, 2018 19:23

Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 21:12

Most of the Beatles catalog always seemed overrated to me...some great singles in there, but few albums I like start-to-finish...JUST MY OPINION.

Anything by Journey, Rush, Styx, Kansas, Boston....yuck. Also my opinion.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 23:58

masseywinos
Anything by the Police god I hate that band.

Ghost in the Machine. Love that album!

Personally, I don't get or like Neil Young, never been a Floyd fan and what the hell with Tom Waits??? I got the critically adored Rain Dogs album back in the '80s and couldn't listen to it.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 3, 2018 06:52

KRiffhard
Nirvana - Nevermind
Sgt Peppers
Anything by Pink Floyd and Queen

Nevermind was a rip off of the Stiff Little Fingers. i heard it before it broke open, my friends younger brother had left it at his house inside the double CD player on his system, Technics if i remember correctly, we were transferring a bunch of stuff to cassette (ahh mixtape's, a lost experience for this generation) for my upcoming 21st birthday in November of 1991, we played it while sorting out the running order of the mix, and we both commented, this is punkish and familiar....

yep just a rip of The Stiffs another friend opined later, who is still a massive fan of S.L.F. he saw them in concert last year by flying from New Zealand to England to watch them at their home Pub, quite the journey for a 2hr experience... He'd swim if he had too, such a diehard.

Heck they were a hugely overrated act.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 3, 2018 07:49

Nirvana’s “Nevermind.” “In Utero” is such a better album.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 3, 2018 07:53

duke richardson
Sgt. Pepper according to Keith:

>> Some people think it's a genius album, but I think it's a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like Satanic Majesties—"Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we.<<

While I certainly admire and respect the technological innovation and vision of “Sgt. Pepper,” in terms of the quality of the actual music, I gotta go with Keith on this one. “Revolver” and “Rubber Soul” have far better songs on them, yet they’ve never gotten the true recognition they deserve having had to live under “Sgt. Pepper’s” shadow.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: December 3, 2018 13:39

stevecardi
duke richardson

>> Some people think it's a genius album, but I think it's a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like Satanic Majesties—"Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we.<<

While I certainly admire and respect the technological innovation and vision of “Sgt. Pepper,” in terms of the quality of the actual music, I gotta go with Keith on this one. “Revolver” and “Rubber Soul” have far better songs on them, yet they’ve never gotten the true recognition they deserve having had to live under “Sgt. Pepper’s” shadow.

Anyone who thinks Sgt. Pepper is overrated needs to have another listen to that album...from start to finish. I love Keith but he was only half right with his comment...

Date: December 3, 2018 13:44

ThePaleRider
stevecardi
duke richardson

Anyone who thinks Sgt. Pepper is overrated needs to have another listen to that album...from start to finish. I love Keith but he was only half serious with his comment...

smoking smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 3, 2018 14:00

ThePaleRider
stevecardi
duke richardson

Anyone who thinks Sgt. Pepper is overrated needs to have another listen to that album...from start to finish. I love Keith but he was only half right with his comment...

I grew up with that album, I know it very well. Technically and conceptually it was innovative, original, and a milestone in popular music. Musically it was mediocre and the songs are way inferior to what they produced later and - especially - before. Brilliant popsongs like "Here, There and Everywhere", "Hey Jude" or "Drive My Car" to name just a few (the list is much larger) or beautiful experiments like "Tomorrow Never Knows" are lightyears away from sentimental drivel like "She's Leaving Home", rubbish like "Good Morning", gimmicks like "Mr. Kite" or the tedious "Within You Without You" ("look ma, I learned to play the Sitar"). The only songs that more or less work are "Lovely Rita" and "A Day In the Life".
I agree with the previous poster that Revolver is a much better album (containing two of the brilliant songs I mentioned before) but I would even hesitate to call this an absolute masterpiece since it also contains drivel like "Taxman" (George only started to write good songs post-1967), the sad joke "Yellow Submarine", and the inevitable happy-McCartneyism "Good Day Sunshine".

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: December 3, 2018 14:45

Anything by the Grateful Dead.. .

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 15:19

anything by the Beatles. Any album by U2 after Joshua. Anything by Springsteen

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2018 15:31

duke richardson

thumbs up Imo the Beatles were ballroom musicians who got very lucky...

Posted by: Ya-Yas ()
Date: December 3, 2018 17:31

potus43
anything by the Beatles. Any album by U2 after Joshua. Anything by Springsteen

Spot on. Except I´d rather have it "Any album by U2 ever."

The Beatles/U2/Springsteen are all so b-o-r-i-n-g.

Matti

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 17:47

thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 19:29

Witness
TATTOO YOU by the Stones themselves!!!

[ CLOSER by Joy Division to me is an all time great album, comparable to the very best. However, it is music of downcast moods. Not music for everyone, and maybe not for anyone to listen to every day. But try to listen to their single " Love Will Tear Us Apart" to approach them.]

The big "fashion word" these days is "fake news". What to believe?
Are there also "fake Stones fans"?
Tattoo You is a great album with a bunch of great songs. The variation in the songs is very well selected, making it a special album. Ah, but who am I to say?smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2018 19:44

Koen
Graceland - Paul Simon

Ah... listening to that album obsessively while reading each new issue of Alan Moore's "Watchmen".
Two masterpieces and a double bliss in 1986! grinning smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 4, 2018 14:07

I always find I fail to understand the almost universal praise on Physical Graffiti. There are some killer tunes, some so-so tracks and some fillers living together in the building. In fact, that about one third of the material are outtakes from the group’s previous works testifies to some of them, if not all, literally falling into the tag it is — “fillers”. I have to admit, though, there are a couple of great tunes among this lot, The Rover in particular.

All things taken into account, for me, the album is a mixed bag at best.

Date: December 4, 2018 14:37

JN99
masseywinos
Anything by the Police god I hate that band.

Ghost in the Machine. Love that album!

Personally, I don't get or like Neil Young, never been a Floyd fan and what the hell with Tom Waits??? I got the critically adored Rain Dogs album back in the '80s and couldn't listen to it.

Yes, I dont get why the Police are getting bashed here. 'Regatta' IMO was really good, and "Ghost" was fantastic. I did really loathe "Syncronicity" though.
JN, you don't like Tom Waits? I guess if someone doesn't like the voice then they will just not like him. To me he is one of the greatest American writers. Who also knows when not to say something. Bruce Springsteen IMO could have been a lot better. He got caught up in his own myth.

Date: December 4, 2018 14:43

<I guess if someone doesn't like the voice then they will just not like him>

They should be able to find some good stuff on his three first albums, though, as he still was singing (mighty fine, imo) on those winking smiley

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 4, 2018 14:43

Trout Mask Replica -- Capt Beefheart......utter trash. never understood the reverence for this bomb

Date: December 4, 2018 14:47

RisingStone
I always find I fail to understand the almost universal praise on Physical Graffiti. There are some killer tunes, some so-so tracks and some fillers living together in the building. In fact, that about one third of the material are outtakes from the group’s previous works testifies to some of them, if not all, literally falling into the tag it is — “fillers”. I have to admit, though, there are a couple of great tunes among this lot, The Rover in particular.

All things taken into account, for me, the album is a mixed bag at best. "The Rover" is my favorite LZ song. I think the album stands up. Like all doubles there may be some lighter songs, but I truly don't see filler. Actually I can not think of a single cut that doesn't hold.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 4, 2018 16:01

RisingStone

Well, they went ot discoteques. You can hear it from Houses Of The Holy onwards. Only the first four albums were consistently blues rock.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2018 17:26

PG is an interesting parallel to EOMS.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 4, 2018 20:35

DandelionPowderman
I never got anything by Nick Cave. Yes, I have tried...

His last two albums - Push the Sky Away and Skeleton Tree - are masterpieces in my opinion. Worth a listen, but I understand why some find them a bit too dark.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 5, 2018 04:56

noughties
RisingStone

Well, they went ot discoteques. You can hear it from Houses Of The Holy onwards. Only the first four albums were consistently blues rock.

Musically speaking, as you say, Led Zeppelin’s works are divided into two periods, i.e. the first four albums and Houses Of The Holy onwards. Strangely enough, I like Houses Of The Holy as much as the previous titles. Their albums afterwards do little to me. Can’t explain why.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 5, 2018 10:21

Elmo Lewis
Astral Weeks - I like lots of Van's other stuff better

Although I am a big Van Morrison fan and have most of his albums I fully understand you. I never understood why they regarded Astral Weeks a classical album. But it's basically the same as with Goats Head Soup - the muddy Version that was only available for a very long time spoilt the albums, while live versions were brilliant. The remastered CD which was released some time ago helps to appreciate the original album better.

Van performed the entire Astral Weeks album around 2000 and released one Hollywood Bowl show as a live CD. Most probably it would have been better if he had selected the best live versions of the songs throughout the years, placed them in the order of the original album and spliced them together by the applause to get an uninterrupted 'live' experience. There are some much better versions than on the Hollywood Bowl album. I made such a live compilation for may favoutite album Beautiful Vision from bootlegs, and it's great (I wish it would be released officially).

Nowadays Van can release anything and the critics will be enthusiastic. I am not because as great as he is live until these days he tends to re-record much of his old songs, play cover versions or plays live in the studio which means that the arrangements which back in the past even saved some mediocre songs are no more there. However, from time to time there is a great song, and in concert Van is still in great voice.

That said, I never really got into Aftermath. Outside of the Stones I never was able to listen to an entire Genesis album. Some songs were o.k. but I always missed a bass element.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-05 10:25 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 5, 2018 11:11

bob r
Trout Mask Replica -- Capt Beefheart......utter trash. never understood the reverence for this bomb

I'm a big fan of Captain Beefheart, but I am with you on that. Apart from the depressing but good "Dachau Blues", the rest of the album is hard to listen to.
I am a fan of his "Strictly Personal", "Spotlight Kid" and "Clear Spot" albums though. They are much more accessible.

Date: December 5, 2018 11:32

RisingStone
noughties
RisingStone

Musically speaking, as you say, Led Zeppelin’s works are divided into two periods, i.e. the first four albums and Houses Of The Holy onwards. Strangely enough, I like Houses Of The Holy as much as the previous titles. Their albums afterwards do little to me. Can’t explain why.

Same here, but I don't think it's strange. For me, their musical transition started on III already, which was much more folksy and acoustic than the two previous albums. On IV they made a commercial, tear dropping hit. They had changed.

However, there is stuff on Presence and In Through The Out Door I like, too, but the overall quality of the material on those albums were much poorer - the playing, too, imo.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home