Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: albums concidered great which I don`t get
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 28, 2018 14:29

Chicago. All albums.

Date: November 28, 2018 16:11

anything by pink floyd....sorry i just dont get it

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 28, 2018 17:19

noughties
Boys & Girls - Bryan Ferry
Closer - Joy Division
Layla - Derek & The Dominoes, (but Blind Faith was a promising band).

Well, I like Closer by Joy Division, but I think Unknown Pleasures was better. I can see that it's not everybody's cup of tea, but both albums were really very different from anything else. That, at least, made them special.

Personally, I could add anything by David Bowie to the list, and Sergeant Pepper from the Beatles. (Revolver is a much better album although severely flawed by Taxman and Yellow Submarine).

On the other hand, I was very surprised that Berlin from Lou Reed was considered not a good album whereas I think it is his best.

Date: November 28, 2018 17:21

HonkyTonkJan
Ket
DandelionPowderman

I never got anything by Nick Cave. Yes, I have tried...

Exactly the same for me, I have tried as well and for the life of me just do not get him at all. Maybe the "penny will drop" sometime?

Have you listened to "Into My Arms". That's a fantastic song imo....

I was going to say: did you guys try the album No More Shall We Part? Every song is a gem on that one.

Date: November 28, 2018 17:36

Definitely two that have already been mentioned:
Sgt Pepper is my least favorite Beatles album. It has "Day in the Life", but "Good Morning, When I'm 64, Lovely Rita" are not very good songs. "Mr Kite and Fixin a Hole are also not the best Beatles songs.

"OK Computer" comes to mind; actually the whole Radiohead thing.IMO really not all that great. I just can not stand Thom Yorke. Rwst of the band is pretty good.

the other one, the one I will never understand why it tops all these polls is "Pet Sounds". I bet it is only because Paul said it inspired him for "Pepper".

Many iconic albums are a microcosm of their time. And for what they stood for in a cultural sense; like "Pepper" or "Never Mind".

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 28, 2018 18:14

noughties
dmay
Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys.

A sensible choice this too. The production is of it`s time (1966), but I like it all the same. However, it was a bit surprising by Mojo to vote it "the best album ever" back in 1995.

I don't hate it, but I prefer their simpler earlier stuff.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 28, 2018 18:32

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
SRV and Double Trouble - Texas Flood (great playing but the sound ruins it for me)
John Lennon - Imagine (some great songs but also some that are really mediocre)
All 80s stuff from David Bowie
Slowhand - Eric Clapton (I looove Clapton but live he is so much better)
Gary Clark Jr - Blak and Blu
The Who - Tommy + Quadrophenia
Well , and I never thought that Tattoo was such an excellent album as many people think. It's still good but I could live without it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-28 18:34 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 28, 2018 18:33

Re: Pet Sounds

It took me repeated listenings to finally "get it".

Possibly the most over-rated album ever, (nope, Smile takes that honor) while still being very good.

BTW, I love the Beach Boys.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 28, 2018 22:46

Rock critics sometimes tend to jump on the same bandwagon. They also think they are there to impose some kind of order, therefore they like lists. The "Pet Sounds" as the top recommendation is like telling people to eat vegetables. There are a few people who truly love that album that much, but the fact it takes the top spot so often?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 28, 2018 22:58

matxil
HonkyTonkJan
Ket
DandelionPowderman

Exactly the same for me, I have tried as well and for the life of me just do not get him at all. Maybe the "penny will drop" sometime?

I was going to say: did you guys try the album No More Shall We Part? Every song is a gem on that one.

The Grinderman albums rock.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: November 28, 2018 23:07

Pretty much anything Queen has put out.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 29, 2018 00:15

Sgt Peppers. Groundbreaking production. Crap songs.

And all Albums by The Police. They had a few nice songs. But their albums sucked.

Rod

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 29, 2018 00:28

Graceland - Paul Simon

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 29, 2018 03:28

Well four albums in my all time top ten -- all spent time at number one -- got dissed in this thread. Pet Sounds, Forever Changes, Layla, and Quadrophenia. Which just shows there's no accounting for taste, or threads of this nature. We like what we like and dislike etc. I will just add that for me each of these LPs were among those that took a long time to kick in, years actually. But they are also albums I continue to receive pleasure from -- dense brilliance. Like Exile on Main Street.

Date: November 29, 2018 11:21

StonedRambler
Well , and I never thought that Tattoo was such an excellent album as many people think. It's still good but I could live without it

Ouch! I think somewhere in heaven, an angel weeped when you wrote that.

Date: November 29, 2018 12:01

ROLLINGSTONE
matxil
HonkyTonkJan
Ket
DandelionPowderman

The Grinderman albums rock.

It may rock, but I can't stand the singing..

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 29, 2018 12:17

matxil
StonedRambler

Ouch! I think somewhere in heaven, an angel weeped when you wrote that.
It's good but can't keep up with Exile, Sticky Fingers and Beggars Banquet (just my opinion).

Date: November 29, 2018 12:24

There are quite a lot of Stones-fans who don't like songs like Worried About You and Tops. I'm not one of them, though.

When the Stones played Norway in 2014, one of the most profiled Stones-experts in Norway, Bård Ose, claimed that it was unnecessary to play awful stuff like Worried About You..

I jumped in my chair, but that's how it is smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 29, 2018 16:06

Anything from the 80s, swimming in synths and electric drums etc

A lot of music that could have been very good was ruined by 80s production values.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 29, 2018 16:13

Quadrophenia and Tommy are among the 10 BEST albums ever released!

most of the stuff by Queen, Clash and nick Cave is rubbish though.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 29, 2018 22:45

Bryan Ferry`s Boys & Girls is marked as his most important album at allmusic.com. I don`t know if this is lazy journalism. You never see much love for this album among fans at the diehard site vivaroxymusic.com. His 70s solo albums are much in favour. To me it was a disappointment in 1985 after Roxy Mucic`s Avalon album. It sounds as if being made by a designer, stylish, but no real feeling.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 29, 2018 23:22

Oasis and especially their so called brilliant Wonderwall. I don't understand what's great about it. Morning Glory? No just Boring!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-29 23:25 by GJV.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 29, 2018 23:28

Ket
DandelionPowderman

if you ever have the chance to see him live. DO IT! even if you dont like his music too much, it will change everything. nothing compares to a cave live show!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 08:29

Anything by Rush…well almost anything…there are a few songs I like (Spirit of Radio comes to mind) but guess I could never get into ‘prog-rock.’

Anything by The Strokes and by that I mean everything.

The new album by The Rolling Stones – don’t get the fuss since dimes to donuts it’ll be slightly worse or slightly better than A Bigger Bang which means more bad vibes for the world anyway you look at it…Seriously, the world has been going to hell with itself since the 1980s and the Stones’ musical bombs are partly to blame.

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 09:09

Just keep playing Closer and Layla until you get them. For Boys and Girls - buy Roxy Music albums instead.

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 09:14

The thing about Forever Changes is that there's not really much playing by the group on the record. It's all members of The Wrecking Crew, ace studio musicians, essentially making the songs up in the studio according to ideas by the band and dictates by the producer and the record execs. The whole purpose was to create something that could get airplay so that the group could tour, play whatever they wanted live, and hopefully master some arrangements of "their" songs from the record.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 30, 2018 09:29

andrews27
The thing about Forever Changes is that there's not really much playing by the group on the record. It's all members of The Wrecking Crew, ace studio musicians, essentially making the songs up in the studio according to ideas by the band and dictates by the producer and the record execs. The whole purpose was to create something that could get airplay so that the group could tour, play whatever they wanted live, and hopefully master some arrangements of "their" songs from the record.

Not so as I understand it. The Daily Planet and Andmoreagain are indeed Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Don Randi and Billy Strange but I believe that was in part a move to kick the band up the butt (they were apparently a mess at the time) as well as to get good versions. As far as I know the band played the rest of the tracks with Don Randi playing keyboards on a couple of other numbers with some horns and strings supplementing the sound in places.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 30, 2018 10:13

marianna
Rock critics sometimes tend to jump on the same bandwagon. They also think they are there to impose some kind of order, therefore they like lists. The "Pet Sounds" as the top recommendation is like telling people to eat vegetables. There are a few people who truly love that album that much, but the fact it takes the top spot so often?

Brian Wilson did actually tell people to eat vegetables on the abandoned follow-up LP Smile ! The popular myth is that it's Paul McCartney crunching the carrot on the Smiley Smile version although it's likely one of the band members.
I get what you're saying though.
Smile has been my favourite album since about 1987 (replacing Pet Sounds) but painting a Vincent Van Go Go with musical instruments and voices showing a Chinese coolie using a pick-axe while building the railroad, looking up, wiping the sweat off his brow and seeing a crow fly over the cornfield with the Indians on the hills watching their land being taken as a train pounds the unfinished track and a xylophone mimics water droplets punning the Grand Coolie Dam (have you seen the grand coolie working on the railroad) isn't necessarily going to be everyone's cup of tea.
It is like Citizen Kane. Brilliantly made on every level and you're always told you should watch it and it's the best film ever but a lot of people find it quite boring. Having said that, vegetables are good for you as part of a balanced diet so there's nothing wrong with giving Pet Sounds (or Smile) a spin and following it up with Beggars Banquet to get your meat and vegetables.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2018 12:00

Nirvana - Nevermind
Sgt Peppers
Anything by Pink Floyd and Queen

Date: November 30, 2018 12:08

ash
marianna

Brian Wilson did actually tell people to eat vegetables on the abandoned follow-up LP Smile ! The popular myth is that it's Paul McCartney crunching the carrot on the Smiley Smile version although it's likely one of the band members.
I get what you're saying though.
Smile has been my favourite album since about 1987 (replacing Pet Sounds) but painting a Vincent Van Go Go with musical instruments and voices showing a Chinese coolie using a pick-axe while building the railroad, looking up, wiping the sweat off his brow and seeing a crow fly over the cornfield with the Indians on the hills watching their land being taken as a train pounds the unfinished track and a xylophone mimics water droplets punning the Grand Coolie Dam (have you seen the grand coolie working on the railroad) isn't necessarily going to be everyone's cup of tea.
It is like Citizen Kane. Brilliantly made on every level and you're always told you should watch it and it's the best film ever but a lot of people find it quite boring. Having said that, vegetables are good for you as part of a balanced diet so there's nothing wrong with giving Pet Sounds (or Smile) a spin and following it up with Beggars Banquet to get your meat and vegetables.

I like the comparison between overrated albums and overrated food. I had this reaction the first time when I ate oysters. What is all the fuzz about?
And with films: Apocalyse Now.
And I forgot to mention in my previous post: everything by Radiohead.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1258
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home