Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Extraordinary Live Clash Resource
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: November 26, 2018 17:50

Every Clash gig ever now available online!

Thanks to the insane efforts of Rat Patrol (possibly not his real name) here is pretty much every Clash gig in wildly variable sound quality but all available as easy downloads via Mega.nz.

From an audio / performance point of view I recommend Lyceum '79, Palladium ‘79 and New Jersey ‘80. But for total nostalgia the Music Machine, 100 Club and Screen On The Green recordings certainly bring it all back home!

Fill your boots...[www.clashcity.com]

Re: OT Extraordinary Live Clash Resource
Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: November 26, 2018 19:00

Every gig ever?
The one time I saw them is not there. 22, May, 1984 Kansas City ,Missouri. It doesn't seem to be every show but every circulating recording. I guess my show isn't in circulation.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 26, 2018 19:06

keithglimmer
Every gig ever?
The one time I saw them is not there. 22, May, 1984 Kansas City ,Missouri. It doesn't seem to be every show but every circulating recording. I guess my show isn't in circulation.

Probably because it's post Mick Jones

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 26, 2018 19:28

Maindefender
keithglimmer
Every gig ever?

I was thinking the same, but the first time I saw them at the Santa Monica Civic in 1980 is not on the list.
I also saw them open for the Who in '82 at L.A. Coliseum and US Festival '83 (Mick Jones' last show with the band), and both are on the list.
Might just be shows in circulation as keithglimmer said.

Date: November 26, 2018 19:45

Almost too much - thats going to take some research. Incredible. Do you know who is responsible for all this wealth johnnythunders?

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 26, 2018 20:26

Never understood the appeal of this band. Look like punks but they're not. Average song-writing at best. Mundane musicianship at best. I really don't get it. The Pistols and the Ramones blow these @#$%& off the map on their worst night. No wonder they just sort of quietly faded away.

Date: November 26, 2018 20:40

As if the Sex Pistols and Ramones were exceptional musicians lol. Great bands though for sure!
Not to defend the Clash, but as with any other band, either you get it or you don't - not everyone's cup of tea.
Could be their eclectic brand of music leaping from one genre to the next - from punk, reggae, rock, hip hop, etc. that might leave some confused, but that's all part of the greatness and charm.
And to see them LIVE was an entirley different experience - elevating the energy level beyond reason. As they were once heralded, "The Clash - the only band that matters"!

Date: November 26, 2018 20:44

Nice....the 1982 Dallas Tx Bronco Bowl is on there.

My one and only time

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 20:47 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 26, 2018 22:17

Hairball
As they were once heralded, "The Clash - the only band that matters"!

That's funny ! >grinning smiley<

Date: November 26, 2018 23:02

Hairball
Maindefender
keithglimmer
Every gig ever?

I was thinking the same, but the first time I saw them at the Santa Monica Civic in 1980 is not on the list.
I also saw them open for the Who in '82 at L.A. Coliseum and US Festival '83 (Mick Jones' last show with the band), and both are on the list.
Might just be shows in circulation as keithglimmer said.

My Cape Cod Coliseum show is missing also, such a tease.....eye rolling smiley

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: November 27, 2018 03:55

It was Keith Richards who indirectly turned me on to the Clash. Most of the music I love today I discovered through the Stones (specifically Keith) and Elvis Presley. Keith turned me on to reggae by mentioning it in an interview when I was 14 or 15 in about 1980. I became a huge fan of Mikey Dread who worked with the clash on Sandanista. I owe Keith a lot for all he has shown me through the years.

Date: November 27, 2018 04:07

Mikey Dread opened for them at the show I attended at the Santa Monica Civic, 1980!
There were some knucklhead punks in attendance who started to boo during Mikey's set (clearly they were unaware of the Sandinista connection),
so a couple members of the Clash came out on stage disguised in long overcoats, hats, and sunglasses and started dancing around to the reggae beat!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 27, 2018 04:41

I downloaded the show I saw: Hollywood Palladium, Oct. 11, 1979. It is unlistenable even by boot standards. Let us know if your show is a better recording.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 27, 2018 06:16

Fujiyama Mama!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 27, 2018 10:32

The only time I saw them was opening for the Who in 1982. They came out in attack mode & totally blew the Who away. 1 of the finest hours of rock I've ever seen. Interesting note: originally the Who approached Midnight Oil to open on the tour. This was before they were widely known. The Oils respectfully declined.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 27, 2018 11:00

First time I saw The Clash was in '77 at Derby...

...with, believe it or not, Johnny Kid & the Pirates supporting

Date: November 27, 2018 11:04

No idea but clearly a labour of love. The feelings of intense loyalty that the Clash instilled in their fans was truly impressive, and reminded me of another band...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 27, 2018 11:23

Thanks. My first Clash show (DC 2-15-79) is there in part, but unlistenable. Other Clash shows from around that time are there and are incendiary!

Date: November 27, 2018 11:44

Palace Revolution 2000
Almost too much - thats going to take some research. Incredible. Do you know who is responsible for all this wealth johnnythunders?

No idea but clearly a labour of love. The feelings of intense loyalty that the Clash instilled in their fans was truly impressive, and reminded me of another band...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 27, 2018 12:30

I can't remember which one of the two shows in San Francisco I went to in 82 but will for sure download both.
My 2nd fav band of all time!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 27, 2018 13:08

Ket
...My 2nd fav band of all time!

Me too probably.
Third favourite maybe a different animal altogether...the Black Crows.
No coincidence I suppose that the sound of both bands reveal differently manifested but still very "Stonsey" influences.

[..even if Mick Jones only admitted it years after he stopped being a young "punk" ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-27 14:11 by Spud.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 27, 2018 18:07

Spud
First time I saw The Clash was in '77 at Derby...

...with, believe it or not, Johnny Kid & the Pirates supporting

I don't believe that you saw the Pirates with Johnny Kidd in 1977.

Would have loved to have seen the Pirates in concert. Mick Green was a monster on the guitar, and the live side of Out Of Their Skulls makes Live At Leeds sound anemic!

A pretty lethal opening act. I'm surprised the Clash would follow them.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 18:48

Been revisiting the full Clash catalogue recently after many years not hearing it. Even Cut the Crap; any fans here of that maligned period? The Out of Control Demos pointed to a better bet that the synth drenched album did.

Sandinista still sounds as eclectic and wonderful as ever. London Calling is the masterpiece, but I have to say Sandinista is excellent too. Many say its overling but that is part of its unique charm. So many great songs on it, it equals London Calling for me as favourite Clash opus.

Date: December 3, 2018 19:23

Not a fan of Cut the Crap. Every album before it though has a special place in my heart - living through each album as they were released while in my mid to late teens. Sandinista is eclectic indeed which is definitely part of the charm - and when broken down few of the tunes from it rank up there as their very best - Somebody Got Murdered, One More Tim (+dub version), The Magnificent Seven, Up in Heaven (Not Only Here), The Call Up, and their cover of Police on My Back. It helps that this was their new album leading up to the first time I saw them, but all of it is ingrained - even the version of Career Opportunities with the children singing.

Interesting to note that the career spanning massive box set Sound System from 2013 includes practically every recording by them (maybe every recording by them?)except for the album Cut the Crap.
Highly recommended if you can find it at the right price, as is the Singles Box which contains individual mini-replicas of the original singles.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 3, 2018 19:40

crholmstrom
The only time I saw them was opening for the Who in 1982. They came out in attack mode & totally blew the Who away. 1 of the finest hours of rock I've ever seen. Interesting note: originally the Who approached Midnight Oil to open on the tour. This was before they were widely known. The Oils respectfully declined.

I saw the Clash open for The Who in Buffalo in 1982 and it was just the opposite. The Clash was no match for the mighty Who. In fact, I was up close in the center on the general admission floor and recall hearing lots of boos for the Clash. I wanted to hear how they sounded live. (Is this show available on the site?)

As for Midnight Oil, instead of respectfully declined, I would call it stupidly. How do you turn down that opportunity with class?

Date: December 3, 2018 19:55

The Sicilian
crholmstrom

I saw the Clash open for The Who in Buffalo in 1982 and it was just the opposite. The Clash was no match for the mighty Who. In fact, I was up close in the center on the general admission floor and recall hearing lots of boos for the Clash. I wanted to hear how they sounded live. (Is this show available on the site?)

As for Midnight Oil, instead of respectfully declined, I would call it stupidly. How do you turn down that opportunity with class?

I have to agree with crholmstrom. Saw the show at the L.A. Coliseum, and the Clash were so ferocious they left the Coliseum drained - by the time the Who came on they truly seemed like the dinosaurs they were being labeled at the time. Imagine hearing London Calling, and then hearing It's Hard. I was still a fan of the Who and their set wasn't horrible, but clearly something wasn't right. It didn't help that the guy behind me started singing loudly along with Behind Blue Eyes with tears running down his face...talk about annoying! In contrast, I saw the Who a few years earlier at the old L.A. Sports Arena and it stands as one of the greatest concerts I ever attended. And at Desert Trip, they along with Neil Young and Roger Waters were clearly the highlights imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-03 19:56 by Hairball.

Date: December 3, 2018 19:55

The Sicilian
crholmstrom

Download Buffalo 1982 show here
[mega.nz]

Regarding this tour they had been forced to replace their phenomenal drummer Nicky "Topper" Headon with the merely competent Terry Chimes. However there were certainly good gigs on this tour - check out the Boston Orpheum soundboard recording...[mega.nz]

Date: December 3, 2018 23:34

johnnythunders
The Sicilian
crholmstrom

Download Buffalo 1982 show here
[mega.nz]

Regarding this tour they had been forced to replace their phenomenal drummer Nicky "Topper" Headon with the merely competent Terry Chimes. However there were certainly good gigs on this tour - check out the Boston Orpheum soundboard recording...[mega.nz]

Yes being from MA I did gravitate to the two Boston '82 shows and both are strong. I've never seen the Shea Stadium DVD which was 10/82. I keep reading about the feud with Strummer and Jones, but it seems they could still play well together live. Even Jone's next to last show(Tucson '83) is good and in fact they played a lot more Jones' songs that night that surprised me. They ended with Sound of Sinners which showed they still cared even in '83.

Date: December 3, 2018 23:41

Hairball
Not a fan of Cut the Crap. Every album before it though has a special place in my heart - living through each album as they were released while in my mid to late teens. Sandinista is eclectic indeed which is definitely part of the charm - and when broken down few of the tunes from it rank up there as their very best - Somebody Got Murdered, One More Tim (+dub version), The Magnificent Seven, Up in Heaven (Not Only Here), The Call Up, and their cover of Police on My Back. It helps that this was their new album leading up to the first time I saw them, but all of it is ingrained - even the version of Career Opportunities with the children singing.

Interesting to note that the career spanning massive box set Sound System from 2013 includes practically every recording by them (maybe every recording by them?)except for the album Cut the Crap.
Highly recommended if you can find it at the right price, as is the Singles Box which contains individual mini-replicas of the original singles.

Looked for my Combat Rock and seems it went amongst the missing. I finally used my amazon gift cards and got Sound System for $65.00!! Arriving tomorrow. Agree on Sandinista, love it. Rebel Waltz is my hidden gem on the album...smileys with beer Thank you JohhnyThunders for starting this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-03 23:42 by Maindefender.

Date: December 4, 2018 00:11

$65 for a massive box set filled w/lots of extra goodies - very impressive Maindefender!smileys with beer

I think I paid apprx. $100 on popmarket.com a few months after iit was released, and even that was a big discount!

Unique clip from 2013 promoting Sound System - The Clash - Sound System Cut Out Show

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2450
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home