Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood - Not for Beginners
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 25, 2018 23:21

In these days I have listened a lot to Not for Beginners, I find it to be a very different album from those of Ronnie, more intimate. The instrumental opening song with Ronnie on the acoustic steel guitar lap is beautiful. There are many interesting things in this album. This Little Heart is a beautiful melody, R U Behaving Yourself? It's fantastic, Whadd'ya Think, Dylan's King of Kings. Great album in my opinion!

Re: Ronnie Wood - Not for Beginners
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 26, 2018 15:07

I loved it at the time, saw one of the shows he played to promote it (with Slash in the band!), revisited few weeks ago and it definitely still stands up. Some wonderful acoustic tracks especially and the instrumentals make this one a keeper.

Date: November 26, 2018 15:40

I was actually going to post about this album. I have been on a strict Ron Wood diet for last week. All his solo albums (except for "Feel like Playing which I put in a wrong case and can not find anymore...).
I think we can agree that "Own Album" and "Now Look" are tops.

The mix on "Neck" is terrible, but once you get past that snare and that hollow reverb plate, the songs are good. Some of the more obscure like "We all get old" and "Lost & Lonely", "Come to realize" are the best.

"1234" is raggedy and excellent. all those loose jams that initially sound the same have incredible grooves. And Ron sings well. There are some brilliant lyrics on this album: one of my alltime favorite lines ever is when Ron sings in "Priceless" - "I been a lot of places in my life, I loved a lot of women, and I ain't lyin, I ain't lyin.." - because you know, he is NOT lying at all.

So "Beginners" is a weird album. I always think of it as his drunk album. The songs are demos and dubs. Most of them should not have been put out. While there are beautiful ideas, the whole album comes off like a disc that a writer makes for himself - "Ok, these are my best new ideas to work on..."

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 26, 2018 15:53

I bought Ron Wood's "Not for beginners" in 2001...................I just got round to listening to it on 20.8.2015...........[iorr.org] ...........never did get round to listening again, maybe I should.......cool smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 26, 2018 16:37

1. Ive got
2. Now look
5 gimme some neck
6 1234
4 not for beginners
3 feel like playing

All his albums i love
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 16:40 by corriecas.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 26, 2018 16:37

There are some good songs on "Not for Beginners", yet Ronnie Wood was affected by his alcoholism when he recorded it. "R U behaving yourself" could be a great stonessong, but Ronnie sounds completely wasted on the whole album.

Date: November 26, 2018 16:44

I think it's a good album. However, the main problem is Ronnie's singing. It's really bad.

Luckily, he improved his singing after this one. I Feel Like Playing might feature his best singing ever.

I agree with Palace, though. NFB is all sketches and bits, and sorely in need of a producer.

Date: November 26, 2018 17:04

DandelionPowderman
I think it's a good album. However, the main problem is Ronnie's singing. It's really bad.

Luckily, he improved his singing after this one. I Feel Like Playing might feature his best singing ever.

I agree with Palace, though. NFB is all sketches and bits, and sorely in need of a producer.

Yeah Dandy.There are times that Ron's singing, his phrasing and his choice of melody is surprisingly sophisticated. The vocal on "Fountain of Love" is very good.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 26, 2018 20:28

corriecas
1. Ive got
2. Now look
5 gimme some neck
6 1234
4 not for beginners
3 feel like playing

All his albums i love
Jeroen

Slide On This?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 26, 2018 21:13

Slide on this is awesome. Feel like playing and life at the ambassador also great

Date: November 26, 2018 21:23

Elmo Lewis
corriecas
1. Ive got
2. Now look
5 gimme some neck
6 1234
4 not for beginners
3 feel like playing

All his albums i love
Jeroen

Slide On This?

My God, i forgot that One.
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 23:20 by corriecas.

Date: November 26, 2018 21:25

1. Ive got
2. Now look
3 Slide on This
4 feel like playing
5 not for beginners
6 gimme some neck
7 1234

All his albums i love
Jeroen[/quote]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 26, 2018 21:54

1 Ive got
2 now look
3 gimme some neck
4 slide on this
5 1234
6 mahoneys last stand (don't forget this gem)
7 I feel like playing
8 not for beginners (yes - drunk abum. He forgot writing songs)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2018 21:56

Not a good period in his life and it shows. Possibly his weakest solo album.

Enjoyed the show at Vicar Street in Dublin to promote it though. Ragged, drunken but lots of fun - with Slash sitting in for about three quarters of the gig. What a night.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 26, 2018 22:28

If I remember RW's kids helped out on the record - Jesse and Leah - Jesse put the band together.

Date: November 26, 2018 22:32

deardoctor
1 Ive got
2 now look
3 gimme some neck
4 slide on this
5 1234
6 mahoneys last stand (don't forget this gem)
7 I feel like playing
8 not for beginners (yes - drunk abum. He forgot writing songs)

True, Mahoneys last stand is very good.!!(2a)
jeroen

Date: November 27, 2018 08:02

Elmo Lewis
corriecas
1. Ive got
2. Now look
5 gimme some neck
6 1234
4 not for beginners
3 feel like playing

All his albums i love
Jeroen

Slide On This?

I can not believe I forgot this one. IMO that is probably his most "professional" album. It also came out during that time when Keith and Mick's solo output was top notch.

Date: November 27, 2018 08:36

Palace Revolution 2000
Elmo Lewis
corriecas
1. Ive got
2. Now look
5 gimme some neck
6 1234
4 not for beginners
3 feel like playing

All his albums i love
Jeroen

Slide On This?

I can not believe I forgot this one. IMO that is probably his most "professional" album. It also came out during that time when Keith and Mick's solo output was top notch.

I remember all three albums were reviewed in a Norwegian paper. Ronnie got great reviews, while Main Offender and Wandering Spirit were regarded as mediocre.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home