Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: complete list of Stones songs in Open G
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 19, 2018 13:27

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
I don't think he changed to standard for the live versions.

[www.youtube.com]

Nt sure I understand your post. That is standard tuning he is playing in. They take it to Bm on live stage. On IORR it is in Cm. I just meant earlier that although it is in standard Jagger;'s voicings are so rudimentary he may as well be in open.

They also recorded it in Bminor, but they did speed it up to Cm in the mastering phase. The riff is in standard tuning.

Mathijs

Date: December 19, 2018 16:39

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Nt sure I understand your post. That is standard tuning he is playing in. They take it to Bm on live stage. On IORR it is in Cm. I just meant earlier that although it is in standard Jagger;'s voicings are so rudimentary he may as well be in open.

They also recorded it in Bminor, but they did speed it up to Cm in the mastering phase. The riff is in standard tuning.

Mathijs

thumbs up Very interesting. That makes lot of sense. Now that I think of Jagger's vocals, they sound slightly sped up.
But wait - do you think they sped it up AFTER recorded vocals, or before?

Date: December 19, 2018 17:25

Palace Revolution 2000
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

thumbs up Very interesting. That makes lot of sense. Now that I think of Jagger's vocals, they sound slightly sped up.

The sped up after the recorded vocals. The original is available on bootlegs. The give away is Taylor's bass line, which is centered around the open A string.

Mathijs

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 19, 2018 18:33

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2018 19:41

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

The sped up after the recorded vocals. The original is available on bootlegs. The give away is Taylor's bass line, which is centered around the open A string.

Mathijs

Damnit! I have always thought there is something slightly non-natural with Jagger's vocals. Now I know the reason why. Thanks!

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 19, 2018 21:45

Mathijs

They also recorded it in Bminor, but they did speed it up to Cm in the mastering phase.

Mathijs

Funny that when, during the DW sessions, Lillywhite wanted to speed-up a certain track, Keef blew a fuse and showed him the blade...

Date: December 20, 2018 16:10

Doxa
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Mathijs

Damnit! I have always thought there is something slightly non-natural with Jagger's vocals. Now I know the reason why. Thanks!

- Doxa

same here; always thought that too; but in a good way. A Beatle-y sound. like on "crossing water..a", or the way his voice dropkicks on "you better wa-atch out on your telelphone". I always attributed it to him doubling his vocal.

Re: Complete list of Stones songs in Open G
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2019 04:38

Post-1967 albums without open G lead songs!

BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
EMOTIONAL RESCUE

Come on, Dande - what else?

Date: November 23, 2019 04:43

The talk in the new Stones album thread (LOL!) gave me an idea:

a compilation of open G songs (ie the main guitar ala Brown Sugar/Start Me Up/Love Is Strong etc) - it's certainly a decent amount but I'm going to guess it's not even 25% of their discography.

I'll work on one and get back to it when I figure it all out but for now... that thread has a decent list... so copy and paste, let's riff it up (sorry).

Date: November 23, 2019 10:38

GasLightStreet
Post-1967 albums without open G lead songs!

BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
EMOTIONAL RESCUE

Come on, Dande - what else?

That's all smiling smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 24, 2019 10:24

Winter- Keith's guitar is on open G at the 2nd fret.

Highwire- Great tab on youtube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 10:44 by Midnight Toker.

Date: November 24, 2019 11:02

Midnight Toker

Where do you hear Keith? Mick Jagger starts the song in standard tuning, playing a regular suspended chord.

Date: November 24, 2019 22:10

Midnight Toker

There's no Keith on Winter, it's Jagger in standard tuning.

Mathijs

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 25, 2019 08:54

Mathjis- Thx for your comment,and you are correct it is MJ on rhythm.
However, I play the rhythm on a 1972 Fender telecaster in open G and it sounds EXACTLY like the record.
I also know the entire solo note for note. Please advise as to the chords
you use in standard tuning.I will give it a shot.

Try the intro in open G at the second fret. You know the two chords well I am certain.

Date: November 25, 2019 12:28

There are many songs you can play in different tunings and get to sound similar. Keith has done that himself. YCAGWYW, for instance, is in open E on Let It Bleed, in standard tuning on Rock'n'Roll Circus and in open G ever since.

On Winter, however, you'll struggle with making the two other chords ring like on GHS in open G tuning. The darker E-chord, for instance.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 25, 2019 15:39

DandelionPowderman
There are many songs you can play in different tunings and get to sound similar. Keith has done that himself. YCAGWYW, for instance, is in open E on Let It Bleed, in standard tuning on Rock'n'Roll Circus and in open G ever since.

On Winter, however, you'll struggle with making the two other chords ring like on GHS in open G tuning. The darker E-chord, for instance.

Question please (multi-part)

I am not a musician. I like the way Get Yer YYO ... was played - what key is that in ?

When did Open G start? who started it and why? Is it not too twangy sounding?

Date: November 25, 2019 19:43

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman

I am not a musician. I like the way Get Yer YYO ... was played - what key is that in ?

Open G-songs on Ya Yas:

JJF (Keith)
Love In Vain (Taylor, with bottleneck)
HTW (Keith)
SFM (Keith)

Brian played open G with a bottleneck from the beginning, like the old blues- greats did. Keith learned it, but was later inspired in another way of using it with chords from Taj Mahal, Otis Redding's guitar player (from his live band) and Ry Cooder.

Keith removed the sixth string, though, and experimented with the tuning (as well as with open D and E-tuning) to make his trademark riffs - which resulted in a new sound and a new way of playing with it.

Twangy? Nah, more like a rhythmic explosion, imo smiling smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-25 19:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 25, 2019 21:06

Is there a definitive Stones sheet music book for guitar?

Date: November 26, 2019 00:12

Why no fondness to to D-Minor? Why only Open G ?

Date: November 26, 2019 00:29

Chris Fountain

You can play D minor with open G-tuning as well smiling smiley

And, as mentioned above, open E, open D and standard tuning (mostly applied) are also quite popular among our axmen..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 00:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 26, 2019 00:50

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

You can play D minor with open G-tuning as well smiling smiley

And, as mentioned above, open E, open D and standard tuning (mostly applied) are also quite popular among our axmen..

Ok - this is getting interesting. Let's take Sweet Jane from Lou Reed's Rock-n-Roll Animal - this is a song with a lengthy solo weave by Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner (RIP) - What key is that masterpiece played in? I mean no disrespect but how does the non-musician even note or care about the sublimities? And maybe the chords could be misinterpreted altogether?

Date: November 26, 2019 04:16

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman

Open G-songs on Ya Yas:

JJF (Keith)
HTW (Keith)
SFM (Keith)

Brian played open G with a bottleneck from the beginning, like the old blues- greats did. Keith learned it, but was later inspired in another way of using it with chords from Taj Mahal, Otis Redding's guitar player (from his live band) and Ry Cooder.

Keith removed the sixth string, though, and experimented with the tuning (as well as with open D and E-tuning) to make his trademark riffs - which resulted in a new sound and a new way of playing with it.

Twangy? Nah, more like a rhythmic explosion, imo smiling smiley

Chunky and riffy. No twangy.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 26, 2019 11:58

Keith removed the bottom string in Open G essentially so that he could he could attack rhythm playing with more freedom.

It makes the new bottom string the root note for the first position bar chord .

It also avoids chords losing note definition and getting too muddy when played at volume .

Keith typically favours the Telecaster's lean bite for the same reason...It better retains clarity and note separation.

[That said, the Open G on the LP junior for numbers on Sticky Fingers at the Fonda worked a treat ! ]

Date: November 26, 2019 13:43

Spud
Keith removed the bottom string in Open G essentially so that he could he could attack rhythm playing with more freedom.

It makes the new bottom string the root note for the first position bar chord .

It also avoids chords losing note definition and getting too muddy when played at volume .

Keith typically favours the Telecaster's lean bite for the same reason...It better retains clarity and note separation.

[That said, the Open G on the LP junior for numbers on Sticky Fingers at the Fonda worked a treat ! ]

The ES in Hyde Park 1969 also sounded really good on HTW and JJF.

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 17:57

DandelionPowderman

Open G-songs on Ya Yas:

Is that true? What about the second (non-slide) solo from Taylor? That's in open G? I always thought Love In Vain was Taylor in standard, but he was using the "open G" portion of the middle of the neck, 12th fret, on the bottleneck slide solo. The second non-slide solo always sounded very much like standard to me. If so, that's an eye opener. Are you sure?

(Note: I never tried learning the Taylor solo note for note, just going off my ears)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 17:57 by TurningToGold2.

Date: November 26, 2019 23:21

TurningToGold2
DandelionPowderman

Open G-songs on Ya Yas:

Is that true? What about the second (non-slide) solo from Taylor? That's in open G? I always thought Love In Vain was Taylor in standard, but he was using the "open G" portion of the middle of the neck, 12th fret, on the bottleneck slide solo. The second non-slide solo always sounded very much like standard to me. If so, that's an eye opener. Are you sure?

(Note: I never tried learning the Taylor solo note for note, just going off my ears)

The second (no slide) solo is on L&G and the 72-tour, not Ya Yas?

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 23:24

DandelionPowderman

Ah. If that's true (and I think you're right, I haven't heard Ya Ya's for years but I have no reason to doubt you), then yeah, I'm totally confused. I was thinking of Welcome To New York (my favorite "Love In Vain") but now that I think about it, I am definitely thinking of '72. Good catch. I do love that second '72 solo without the slide, though!

Date: November 26, 2019 23:29

TurningToGold2
DandelionPowderman

Ah. If that's true (and I think you're right, I haven't heard Ya Ya's for years but I have no reason to doubt you), then yeah, I'm totally confused. I was thinking of Welcome To New York (my favorite "Love In Vain") but now that I think about it, I am definitely thinking of '72. Good catch. I do love that second '72 solo without the slide, though!

Those 1972-solos without slide are amazing.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home