Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28
Re: Chicago IL USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:04

Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due

A Chicago Legend
In Chicago, eating pizza is a dining experience, not just a snack. But it wasn't always that way.

Ike Sewell changed things back in 1943 when he created Deep Dish Pizza. Some folks call it Chicago deep dish pizza. Ike figured that if you combined some of Italy's old, authentic recipes with impressive quantities of the finest meats, spices, vegetables and cheeses, pizza would become a hearty meal. So he opened Pizzeria Uno as a fine restaurant specializing in his new Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, and it wasn't long before the restaurant had more customers than it could handle.

Because Uno didn't have enough room to expand, Ike did another wonderful thing. He opened another Chicago Pizzeria and called it Pizzeria Due on the opposite street corner in the lower level of a beautiful, Victorian mansion. The rest is legend. Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due have become the most celebrated Pizzerias in the world.

I've also been to Gino's East, Giordano's, Lou Malnatti's, and a couple of others, but after a local Chicago friend took me to Pizzeria Uno I prefer to stick with that.

Might be better places off the beaten path that some locals know of, and would love to hear about them.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:04

JN99-Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Gino's East, and Aurellio's in that order. IMO.

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:06

I’m not a native Chicagoian, from Indy, but my favorite is Gino’s East with the cornmeal crust & slab sausage. Their south loop location just west of Grant Park, about 1.5 miles from Soldier Field. It takes about 45 minutes to cook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-20 21:09 by dhinkle555.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:08

Anyone know anything about this place?

Rolling Stones Chicagoland Record Store

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:11

Lou Malnati’s hands down

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:24

Woz
I’m at SFO waiting to board my flight to Chicago!

On the airporter from Mill Valley!!

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:27

that is the last Rolling Stone record store in the area..there were a chain of them for ages.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:29

go to Staropolska on Milwaukee Ave for amazing Polish food

a late stop at the Weiner Circle can be wild too.

get over to Taylor st for Italian food.

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:37

I know they're supposed to be the same, but I've always preferred Due's to Uno's. Maybe it's the ambience?

Another take is Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder (http://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/)... great for a cool, rainy day like today. It's in Lincoln Park, which is a cool neighborhood to check out. If you're headed there for dinner,(B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted is closeby and one of my 2 favorite blues clubs in the city [www.chicagobluesbar.com]). My other fave is Rosa's Lounge (https://rosaslounge.com/), which is a bit further out of the way and you'll want to Uber or Lyft it there.

Legends is worth checking out... Buddy usually hangs at the bar at night when he's not on tour, but he's out east right now. If you do go there, make sure to check out all the memorabilia (upstairs too).

If the weather keeps on like this and you're looking for something indoors for during the day, the Chicago History Museum has a great blues exhibit going on now.

We have plenty of other great little ethnic places to check out for food... thai, sushi, moroccan, mexican.

There's so much to do... just depends on what you like!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:45

sarahunwin
Woz

We need to meet. I met someone from Marin at Hyde Park in 2013 but they were from Sausalito, so I don’t think it was you. Hope to catch up tomorrow. Safe travels , I’m also to Chicago!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:06

SPOILER ALERT !

[www.citynews1130.com]

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:21

A REALLY good Spoiler!

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:25

Fantastic

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:43

Kurt
grzegorz67
I’ve already been in the US touring for 12 days and I’m finally making my way to Chicago from Philadelphia by means of the treacle slow but scenic Amtrak. I’m an hour from Pittsburgh and from there will get the night train to Chicago at midnight. Excited thumbs up. I love tour openers, having done 5.

The floor plan is very interesting indeed. I would expect more tickets to drop between today and Friday. 48 hours until it all kicks off. I was at the Stones party in NYC on Sunday night and met a few people who I know are already in Chicago.

This is by far my wackiest ever attempt to get to a Stones gig and it’ll be my 38th. I’m dong it on the basis that I know I’d regret not doing it.

Safe travels Gregor...what an adventure.
See you tomorrow night my lucky Lucky Dip partner!

WE WILL ALL HAVE A BLAST IN CHICAGO!!

I’m here after 24 hours on trains and endless delays, mostly down to freight trains and heavy rain. On the plus side my accommodation let me in early so I’ve had s nap and I’m ready to go off exploring. See you tomorrow afternoon. Lucky Dip instructions should be out soon. Weather’s much cooler than Boston, New York and Philly.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:51

FYI they just dropped some good floor seats for $245.50!!!

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:53

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:56

Lien
SPOILER ALERT !

[www.citynews1130.com]

oh hell yes!

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:01

What does he mean by the bad seats comment?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:09

[twitter.com]

Mick riffing around onstage... which song is this?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:12

Nikkei
[twitter.com]

Sad Sad Sad!!!! hot smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:12

Nikkei

The new one .... grinning smiley

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:13

Nikkei
[twitter.com]

Well, that's just some fooling around with open D tuning, I think. Testing the sound ...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:22

Chicago meeting place:

BUDDY GUY'S LEGENDS - 700 S. WABASH

I was there today for lunch noon to 2pm, and it is just a great place. I will recommend it as a meeting place, and I will probably be there every day during my Chicago stay, like for lunch hours, as it is close by my hotel. Also, they have a free acoustic blues performance every day noon to 2pm, large bar area, and many tables, lots of souvenir items on the walls, including a guitar donated by Keith.

Buddy Guy's Legends is on 700 S Wabash Ave, right behing the large HILTON HOTEL (over my budget) on S Michegan on Grant Park, Harrison station on the Red Line underground train is just around the next block, and if you take any of the buses on Michegan Ave, just exit at Michegan & Balbo or Michegan & Harrison.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-21 00:10 by bv.

Date: June 20, 2019 23:50

Woz
sarahunwin
Woz

We need to meet. I met someone from Marin at Hyde Park in 2013 but they were from Sausalito, so I don’t think it was you. Hope to catch up tomorrow. Safe travels , I’m also to Chicago!

Email me at sgcub@comcast.net and I’ll send you my cell phone #!

Date: June 20, 2019 23:52

bv
Chicago meeting place:

I was there today for lunch noon to 2pm, and it is just a great place. I will recommend it as a meeting place, and I will probably be there every day during my Chicago stay, like for lunch hours, as it is close by my hotel. Also, they have a free acoustic blues performance every day noon to 2pm, large bar area, and many tables, lots of souvenir items on the walls, including a guitar donated by Keith.

Buddy Guy's Legends is on 700 S Wabash Ave, right behing the large HILTON HOTEL (over my budget) on S Michegan on Grant Park, Harrison station on the Red Line underground train is just around the next block, and if you take any of the buses on Michegan Ave, just exit at Michegan & Balbo or Michegan & Harrison.

Hope to see you there!

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:52

The Rolling Stones x RSVP Gallery

The Rolling Stones and @RSVPGallery will be collaborating on a limited capsule collection

Available June 21-25, with new items dropping daily exclusively at 1753 N. Damen Ave #stonesnofilter

[twitter.com]

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 21, 2019 00:16

To those who mess around with taxi or Uber in Chicago:

Chicago has got a great system of public transportation. It may have been posted here before, sorry if I am repeating, but I have been busy lately... Buses go on Michegan and most other streets, just see Google Maps for bus numbers and where you need to be. The overhead loop oriented trains go many places, and the red and blue underground trains are also great. Just make sure you don't do the mistake I did the other day... There is a station called "Chicago", it is not the same one on the blue and red lines. It simply means "Chicago and xxx", i.e. somewhere on Chicago Avenue.

Get a Ventra card on any of the CTA stations, fill it up with some travel money, and register to get a return of the $6 plastic card fee. Then you may just tap and go on bus, tram, train no worries.

Bjornulf

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 21, 2019 00:31

bv
Chicago meeting place:

As I remember the guitar donated was the same guitar Keith gave Buddy at the Beacon Theater as shown in the film “Shine a Light”.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: June 21, 2019 00:38

We are thinking of taking the blue line to Grand and walking to the West Loop Kuma's to split a burger before the show on Tuesday...this might be too much

Posted by: walterD ()
Date: June 21, 2019 00:42

People with LD for tomorrow: did you get an email explaining where to pick them up?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home