Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28
Re: Chicago IL USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 05:31

I think so 1985jayer. Probably start rehearsals early June. At work today I started to think about warm up club show date and venue.

Posted by: JJUDGE ()
Date: May 14, 2019 06:00

Just an update for 2120Joe and others wanting to explore Chicago while in town for the concerts! The South Loop has grown and is actually one of the upper class areas of Chicago. Venturing South of Roosevelt should not be feared. In fact, Soldier Field is South of Roosevelt! Recent additions to the neighborhood include new hotels, restaurants, and the Wynn Trust Arena. There are also many historic locations including the Chess Records building at 2120 S. Michigan Ave., home of Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation! Come by for a tour and The Rolling Stones at Chess Exhibit running June 5th through June 29th! This World Premiere shouldn’t be missed by any Stones fan!

...of course as with any city, just keep your wits about you! Have a great time in Chicago!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-14 06:03 by JJUDGE.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 15:53

filstan
grzegorz67
filstan
J.J.Flash
bam
The stadium was designed for the Bears to have as many seats between the goal lines as possible, within the existing footprint of the prior stadium.

The prior stadium was a better place for concerts. It was lower, and less comfortable — originally with benches. But it had better sight lines.

I thought the old one was worse. It goes back instead of up. If you're in row 25 it feels like row 100 because you're so far from the field.

Sorry bam, imo the re-do of Soldier Field made the seating closer to the field as compared with the original that was a huge bowl which ran the seats farther back each row you went higher. Also, the old Soldier Field had a track around it which moved the seats back too. The new stadium has no track and seats right up against the field, and elevated for better viewing. The only negative sight wise is the middle section up in the top rows on the West side. These are pretty high up imo. I have watched Bears games from up there before. I also believe the sound is better contained in the present stadium.

Have you ever sat in 340 (or adjacent sections) ? If so, how do you rate the front of it for views/sound? I may be going along.

Front 5 rows in section 340 should be good. One never knows what nature will do to the sound, but in general Soldier Field is not bad.

I bought 2nd night 3rd row section 214 3 seats 2 weeks ago just to lock them in. I was going to wait until the day of the concerts and see what shows up, but I had friends that really wanted to go and are coming in from out of town. TM offer at $315 seemed not so horrible, but with "fees,taxes" added in they are $410! Crazy money...

filstan, again from your local knowledge, is there any appreciable difference between, say 340 & 309 (the equivalent section on other side of the field)? Checking back last night, it was actually 309 where I saw tickets of interest to me.

I have set myself a maximum budget of $200 all in and my hope is that if I wait until late, that should get me something reasonably decent.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 14, 2019 16:20

Pretty good virtual seating site for concerts at Soldier Field..
[aviewfrommyseat.com];

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 14, 2019 19:12

JJUDGE
Just an update for 2120Joe and others wanting to explore Chicago while in town for the concerts! The South Loop has grown and is actually one of the upper class areas of Chicago. Venturing South of Roosevelt should not be feared. In fact, Soldier Field is South of Roosevelt! Recent additions to the neighborhood include new hotels, restaurants, and the Wynn Trust Arena. There are also many historic locations including the Chess Records building at 2120 S. Michigan Ave., home of Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation! Come by for a tour and The Rolling Stones at Chess Exhibit running June 5th through June 29th! This World Premiere shouldn’t be missed by any Stones fan!

...of course as with any city, just keep your wits about you! Have a great time in Chicago!

Good info JJUDGE. Just down the street further South is Motor Row Brewing. Great beer(see website) on tap, and on Thursday evenings every week you can catch the fantastic Original Chicago Blues Allstars. Jimmy Tillman on drums played with Jimmy Reed and can still really lay it down. Willie Dixon's son Freddy on bass! It starts early around 7:00 and goes to 10:00-11:00. This band does not disappoint!Some great players sit in as well. Can't recommend it enough.

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 14, 2019 19:31

Picked up Chicago 1st show section 308 1st row with fees included at $350 each at TM online just now. Good view from that location imo. So I'm now in for both Chicago shows assuming they happen.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 14, 2019 19:47

Yeah, I got one in the stands in a side section at Face for Chicago 1 this week.
There's still a few decent seats left. For now.

(Edited to add, yeah it was reasonably priced because I bought the wrong show.
Got another one now, higher up.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-16 21:50 by angee.

Date: May 14, 2019 20:37

Well done Angee! This pair of tickets in 308 I bought this morning were Platinum, meaning they were not resale offerings. We are creatures of habit, so after all these years I sort just check in with concert tickets such as the Stones tour and see what's there. Face value fo the Stones isn't cheap, but it's better than dealing with legal scalpers like Stub Hub that pretty much were given license to corner chunks of available tickets when they go on sale.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 14, 2019 20:41

I've been on the verge of buying one for Chicago #1 myself, but I'm not confident that the top listed TBA show is truly 6/21 and the 2nd listed is truly 6/25. I don't want to end up buying two singles for 6/25....but it seems, based on prices, that the 2nd listed "TBA" show is maybe really 6/21 as prices are so much higher for that listing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 14, 2019 20:44

Standard face value for section 308 was originally listed at $145+ fees, but seems the 'Platinum' rigging system aka 'flex pricing' jacked the prices up quite a bit.

Date: May 14, 2019 20:59

Yes Hairball, I figured as much. Market value as they say. I don't even know where the original prices are listed. Platinum is disingenuous to say the least

Date: May 14, 2019 21:16

Well at least you're in filstan and don't have to worry anymore, and considering it's the first show (if indeed it is the first show), it might get tougher as time moves forward.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 14, 2019 21:20

I, too, am not sure which Chicago show is which confused smiley

The Ticketmaster listing of show links seems to be in a different order than the Rolling Stones .com listing of show links...

Can anyone definitively determine Night #1 vs. Night #2 ?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 15, 2019 00:17

Kurt

The Ticketmaster listing of show links seems to be in a different order than the Rolling Stones .com listing of show links...

I asked for help on this problem also. I was told to use the stones site and
click on the show you are looking for. This takes you directly to the ticketmaster page for that particular concert. This was a few weeks ago but
it seemed to work for me. Good luck.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 15, 2019 04:11

swimtothemoon
Kurt

click on the show you are looking for. This takes you directly to the ticketmaster page for that particular concert. This was a few weeks ago but

smileys with beer

Date: May 15, 2019 17:35

swimtothemoon
Kurt

Great idea. Thanks! I picked up a ticket in section 307 for $145 for (what I hope is) Chicago #1....it's the first chicago listing on rs.com and the 2nd listing on TM. Already have a ticket in 339 for Chicago #2. So I'm ready!

Date: May 15, 2019 17:54

floodonthepage
swimtothemoon
Kurt

Great idea. Thanks! I picked up a ticket in section 307 for $145 for (what I hope is) Chicago #1....it's the first chicago listing on rs.com and the 2nd listing on TM. Already have a ticket in 339 for Chicago #2. So I'm ready!

It's actually about $171 after all the ridiculous unavoidable add-on fees. Anywhere towards the front of the 300 sections in the front half of the stadium should be reasonably decent from photos I've seen.

I am now very likely going. I had previously planned to be in Washington as a tourist after the original Foxboro and NJ Dates and as I'll still be in the US, it would at least give me the chance to see 1 show. Always tempting to grab a ticket now to be sure but I'm quite confident about waiting it out. Cut price late spares and drops are available for pretty much every artist, even opening nights. I'm travelling solo too and only looking for a single ticket.

I now have refundable accomodation booked for the night before and after the likely date of Chicago 1. Couldn't resist it winking smiley Only my 2nd ever visit to the US and 1 show's a lot better than none...

Date: May 15, 2019 18:00

Hairball
Well at least you're in filstan and don't have to worry anymore, and considering it's the first show (if indeed it is the first show), it might get tougher as time moves forward.

This was my thinking that if in fact Chicago would become the tour opener tickets would either disappear and/or re-appear at ridiculously(relative term)even higher prices. If it were just me I would have waited till day of concerts to pick up a single, but that's not the case.

Date: May 15, 2019 18:05

grzegorz67
floodonthepage
swimtothemoon
Kurt

It's actually about $171 after all the ridiculous unavoidable add-on fees. Anywhere towards the front of the 300 sections in the front half of the stadium should be reasonably decent from photos I've seen.

I am now very likely going. I had previously planned to be in Washington as a tourist after the original Foxboro and NJ Dates and as I'll still be in the US, it would at least give me the chance to see 1 show. Always tempting to grab a ticket now to be sure but I'm quite confident about waiting it out. Cut price late spares and drops are available for pretty much every artist, even opening nights. I'm travelling solo too and only looking for a single ticket.

I now have refundable accomodation booked for the night before and after the likely date of Chicago 1. Couldn't resist it winking smiley Only my 2nd ever visit to the US and 1 show's a lot better than none...

Yes, $175 because I selected a physical ticket to be mailed, as I collect my stubs. But $175 is better than the $192 I paid for Chicago #2. Roughly same base price but it was a "platinum" ticket vs. the standard.

Good luck with your search, grzegorz67! Yes, tickets should be available day of show....especially GA tickets, but really probably scattered all over. I'm driving in both nights from out of state so I wanted to have a good spot secured, otherwise I'd have maybe gone for GA myself.

Date: May 15, 2019 18:11

floodonthepage
grzegorz67
floodonthepage
swimtothemoon
Kurt

Yes, $175 because I selected a physical ticket to be mailed, as I collect my stubs. But $175 is better than the $192 I paid for Chicago #2. Roughly same base price but it was a "platinum" ticket vs. the standard.

Good luck with your search, grzegorz67! Yes, tickets should be available day of show....especially GA tickets, but really probably scattered all over. I'm driving in both nights from out of state so I wanted to have a good spot secured, otherwise I'd have maybe gone for GA myself.

Out of State ? I'm travelling in from 5 states away, namely New York and by overnight Amtrak, arriving 20th. I go back to NY on the overnight Greyhound on 22nd, then fly home to the UK from JFK on the night of 23rd. It will be by far my wackiest ever trip to see them of my 38.
The things we do for this band winking smiley

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 19:43

A handful of the more choice seats I've been watching behind both pits just disappeared. They were all platinum and I was waiting to see if they dropped but someone either speculating on some tidbit of news and snatched them up at high prices, or maybe tm holding them back

Date: May 15, 2019 20:42

snoopy2
A handful of the more choice seats I've been watching behind both pits just disappeared. They were all platinum and I was waiting to see if they dropped but someone either speculating on some tidbit of news and snatched them up at high prices, or maybe tm holding them back

Show 1 or Show 2? I’d hazard a guess they’ll be released when the show is officially confirmed. There will be far more seats available than those shown on TM for sure. It’s all bait and switch.
There will be plenty of tickets at a nice price on the day as always. The only time it might get tricky is if you’re planning to attend in a party of 2 or more and want seated together.

Date: May 15, 2019 20:46

A shame you won't be there for the second Chicago show grzegorz67 as it would be great to meet with you.
You'll be flying out of the NY on the 23rd, while I'll be flying in to Chicago from California on the same day.
Maybe on the next tour we'll cross paths... winking smiley...or maybe you'll enjoy the first show so much you'll decide to stay for the second. smileys with beer

Date: May 15, 2019 21:04

Hairball
A shame you won't be there for the second Chicago show grzegorz67 as it would be great to meet with you.
You'll be flying out of the NY on the 23rd, while I'll be flying in to Chicago from California on the same day.
Maybe on the next tour we'll cross paths... winking smiley...or maybe you'll enjoy the first show so much you'll decide to stay for the second. smileys with beer

Would be nice Mr Hairball but unfortunately I can’tsad smiley My work leave allowance is taking too big a hit already! Last year I saw 11 shows out of 14 and that guzzled 19 days out of my allowance of 31 a year last year. 1 extra day was due to the Twickenham transport fiasco when I got home at 1030am. I’m in a hostel near both Greyhound & Rail Stations in Chicago and a 1 mile walk from the venue. No transport fiascos allowed winking smiley

Date: May 15, 2019 21:07

Understood.thumbs up

There was a Twickenham transport fiasco as well back in '03, but somehow everyone survived!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 15, 2019 21:09

The more I think about this, the more it's going to make sense for me to change my plans back to "original" and extend my Chicago stay. I already have refunded my Chicago #2 Lucky Dips and changed my return flights for June 23, but against I fee I could change them back and try to find a ticket later on. Staying in Chicago would still be cheaper than shelling out more than 750 € for a R/T flight from Helsinki to Newark for the MetLife shows. Besides, if I did both MetLife shows it would kill at least 7 vacation days, whereas coming back from Chicago on the 26th instead of the 23rd would set me back 3 days.

We'll see what happens but this is what it looks like - if the original Chicago dates are kept. I don't really need to go out of my way to see the band three times, two is fine.

Date: May 15, 2019 21:45

Hairball
Understood.thumbs up

There was a Twickenham transport fiasco as well back in '03, but somehow everyone survived!

I know someone who worked in the area 20 odd years ago. A Minnesotan immigrant as it happens and she’s still here, although now in Birmingham (NOT Alabama). She says traffic chaos in Twickenham is a feature of pretty much every event ever held there.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 15, 2019 21:47

Sounds good to me, Topi. I cut another show in favor of both Chicagos since I was already going to be there anyway.
Plus I'm assuming Chicago 1 is the opener now....::hoping::

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 15, 2019 22:19

grzegorz67
snoopy2

Show 1 or Show 2? I’d hazard a guess they’ll be released when the show is officially confirmed. There will be far more seats available than those shown on TM for sure. It’s all bait and switch.
There will be plenty of tickets at a nice price on the day as always. The only time it might get tricky is if you’re planning to attend in a party of 2 or more and want seated together.

What was originally listed as Chicago 2.. Ya, who knows what games, but it caught my attention because every ticket I looked at last night was suddenly gone this morning.. I purchased most of my zip code tkts day of show and had great time but if they dropped I was gonna snag two good ones

Date: May 15, 2019 23:11

FYI hotel I was looking at, Homewood Suites near stadium, just went from $127 night to $260 night in the past ten minutes while I was contemplating (No, I didn't end up snagging it in time).. dates must be circulating in they're jumping that fast

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home