Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28
Re: Chicago IL USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:07

The stadium was designed for the Bears to have as many seats between the goal lines as possible, within the existing footprint of the prior stadium.

The prior stadium was a better place for concerts. It was lower, and less comfortable — originally with benches. But it had better sight lines.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:10

MisterDDDD
chrisvw
Hairball
2120Joe
RE cover band Beggars Banquet: The band is just ok to me. They cover war horses and lots of looking like the Stones but music not near the quality of the IORR Band or the originals. If spending a limited time in Chicago, don’t consider this a must see.

Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't going to waste my time anyways as I'm not a fan of tribute bands in general - especially when the real deal is in town.

really sorry you guys feel this way. btw, the real deal is not playing saturday night.

i just want to add that these guys are very talented musicians. as a fan who has seen the real stones over 100 times, in my opinion this is a great tribute band. and, hopefully, fans from iorr and shidoobee will walk the half mile from their downtown hotels, enjoy the music and comeraderie.

if you don't care to see them, it's your loss!

Indeed.
Wouldn't read too much into the negativity, the "real deal" will get a slightly better review from the critics, but not much. cool smiley

Although not my recommendation, I hope you have a great time if you go see the cover band. It’s a good bar, fellow fans and a Stones set list can’t make for a bad night.

Also consider some Chicago blues. Downtown, there is Buddy Guy’s Legends and Blue Chicago. The north side (my neighborhood) has B.L.U.E.S and Kingston Mimes. A bit west is my favorite hole in the wall with great music-Rosas Lounge. There are many other spots for live music but I would consider the above great traditional blues joints and are located within 20mins/$20Uber of nearly anywhere in the city. Also, the north side’s Green Mill is well known for live jazz and a fun spot.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:34

2120Joe

Although not my recommendation, I hope you have a great time if you go see the cover band. It’s a good bar, fellow fans and a Stones set list can’t make for a bad night.

Also consider some Chicago blues. Downtown, there is Buddy Guy’s Legends and Blue Chicago. The north side (my neighborhood) has B.L.U.E.S and Kingston Mimes. A bit west is my favorite hole in the wall with great music-Rosas Lounge. There are many other spots for live music but I would consider the above great traditional blues joints and are located within 20mins/$20Uber of nearly anywhere in the city. Also, the north side’s Green Mill is well known for live jazz and a fun spot.
There for the week, plan on a few of those.. thank you for the tips!
Appreciated.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:37

bam
The stadium was designed for the Bears to have as many seats between the goal lines as possible, within the existing footprint of the prior stadium.

The prior stadium was a better place for concerts. It was lower, and less comfortable — originally with benches. But it had better sight lines.

I thought the old one was worse. It goes back instead of up. If you're in row 25 it feels like row 100 because you're so far from the field.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 12, 2019 04:32

2120Joe

Thanks for the tips 2120Joe. thumbs up

I've been to Blue Chicago and Buddy Guy’s Legends, and even met the man himself there back in 2010.
Here's a pic I took of Buddy graciously signing a t-shirt I bought from the merch booth.

(EDIT: Reading back through thread, I realize I already posted pic here back in January, page 7)

Looking forward to June for 12 nights in the Windy City with plenty of extra time for blues and jazz, and with any luck maybe even a Stones show! smiling smiley

A bit of trivia: Why Chicago is called `the Windy City'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-12 18:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 12, 2019 05:51

After reading or skimming over the article, there is no objective evidence to deem Chicago the Windy City.

My interpretation is that wind is a weather condition that is common among most of the earth just ask hurricane victims and so forth. However, light winds are common along many east coast vicinities. Chicago cannot make that claim and also they will not win Super bowl anytime soon.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 12, 2019 06:16

Hairball
2120Joe
RE cover band Beggars Banquet: The band is just ok to me. They cover war horses and lots of looking like the Stones but music not near the quality of the IORR Band or the originals. If spending a limited time in Chicago, don’t consider this a must see.

Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't going to waste my time anyways as I'm not a fan of tribute bands in general - especially when the real deal is in town.

Well Hairball, you shoulda been in London to see the IORR band perform a year ago. They were good but the best and most important thing was fraternizing with a lot of IORRians. Tho this won't be the IORR band, I would bet a lot of us will show up there.

plexi

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 12, 2019 07:00

Chris Fountain was defanitely NOT at Soldier Field opening night in '97!

Date: May 12, 2019 08:05

timbernardis
Hairball
2120Joe

Well Hairball, you shoulda been in London to see the IORR band perform a year ago. They were good but the best and most important thing was fraternizing with a lot of IORRians. Tho this won't be the IORR band, I would bet a lot of us will show up there.

plexi

I'm sure it was a good time in London, and depending on what else was going on June 22 in Chicago, there's a chance I might have showed up at this Beggars Banquet gig.
But it has since dawned on me after re-reading chrisvw's initial post, my wife and I won't even be arriving to Chicago until June 23rd, so I couldn't have made it even if I wanted to!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:16

Chris Fountain

After reading or skimming over the article, there is no objective evidence to deem Chicago the Windy City.

My interpretation is that wind is a weather condition that is common among most of the earth just ask hurricane victims and so forth. However, light winds are common along many east coast vicinities. Chicago cannot make that claim and also they will not win Super bowl anytime soon.[/quote

This is a funny post by someone who has never been here!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 12, 2019 09:14

Chicago received it’s nickname as the “windy city” from the political environment. The idea of the local politicians being full of “hot wind or air.”
In other words not being entirely truthful.

Date: May 12, 2019 14:33

J.J.Flash
Chris Fountain

My interpretation is that wind is a weather condition that is common among most of the earth just ask hurricane victims and so forth. However, light winds are common along many east coast vicinities. Chicago cannot make that claim and also they will not win Super bowl anytime soon.[/quote

This is a funny post by someone who has never been here!

Does the airport count?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 12, 2019 15:26

swimtothemoon
Chicago received it’s nickname as the “windy city” from the political environment. The idea of the local politicians being full of “hot wind or air.”

Yes, it was coined after a specific political convention in the late 19th century I think.

Date: May 12, 2019 15:34

Rokyfan
swimtothemoon

Yes, it was coined after a specific political convention in the late 19th century I think.

I changed comment due to iorr policy it was too political

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 12, 2019 20:55

Looks like as long as I'm going to be there anyway for Chicago 2, I might as well go to opening show, Chicago 1!

Might be my last time. Pauper days about here.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 12, 2019 21:18

angee
Looks like as long as I'm going to be there anyway for Chicago 2, I might as well go to opening show, Chicago 1!

thumbs up
Being at the opener is always fantastic, but this one a little extra special imo cool smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 13, 2019 03:55

MisterDDDD
angee

thumbs up
Being at the opener is always fantastic, but this one a little extra special imo cool smiley

Uh-huh!!!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 13, 2019 11:58

Hairball
timbernardis
Hairball
2120Joe

plexi

I'm sure it was a good time in London, and depending on what else was going on June 22 in Chicago, there's a chance I might have showed up at this Beggars Banquet gig.
But it has since dawned on me after re-reading chrisvw's initial post, my wife and I won't even be arriving to Chicago until June 23rd, so I couldn't have made it even if I wanted to!

Why can't u fly in earlier and go to both shows? Traveling all that way, your favourite band in town for 2 shows, an opportunity not to be missed. An economical way to see the band with two shows within 4 days. Change your flights.

plexi

Date: May 13, 2019 12:00

swimtothemoon

This man knows of what he speaks. He is a Chicago native and remains so today.

plexi

Date: May 13, 2019 12:03

angee

Now that's the spirit. Hairball needs to get a clue and jump onboard.

plexi

Date: May 13, 2019 12:07

MisterDDDD
angee

thumbs up

Can u imagine the deafening roar that will greet Mick when first he appears onstage??!!

plexi

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 13, 2019 17:34

J.J.Flash
bam

I thought the old one was worse. It goes back instead of up. If you're in row 25 it feels like row 100 because you're so far from the field.

Sorry bam, imo the re-do of Soldier Field made the seating closer to the field as compared with the original that was a huge bowl which ran the seats farther back each row you went higher. Also, the old Soldier Field had a track around it which moved the seats back too. The new stadium has no track and seats right up against the field, and elevated for better viewing. The only negative sight wise is the middle section up in the top rows on the West side. These are pretty high up imo. I have watched Bears games from up there before. I also believe the sound is better contained in the present stadium.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 17:49

filstan
J.J.Flash
bam

Sorry bam, imo the re-do of Soldier Field made the seating closer to the field as compared with the original that was a huge bowl which ran the seats farther back each row you went higher. Also, the old Soldier Field had a track around it which moved the seats back too. The new stadium has no track and seats right up against the field, and elevated for better viewing. The only negative sight wise is the middle section up in the top rows on the West side. These are pretty high up imo. I have watched Bears games from up there before. I also believe the sound is better contained in the present stadium.

Have you ever sat in 340 (or adjacent sections) ? If so, how do you rate the front of it for views/sound? I may be going along.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 13, 2019 18:06

grzegorz67
filstan
J.J.Flash
bam

Have you ever sat in 340 (or adjacent sections) ? If so, how do you rate the front of it for views/sound? I may be going along.

Front 5 rows in section 340 should be good. One never knows what nature will do to the sound, but in general Soldier Field is not bad.

I bought 2nd night 3rd row section 214 3 seats 2 weeks ago just to lock them in. I was going to wait until the day of the concerts and see what shows up, but I had friends that really wanted to go and are coming in from out of town. TM offer at $315 seemed not so horrible, but with "fees,taxes" added in they are $410! Crazy money...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 18:20

filstan
grzegorz67
filstan
J.J.Flash
bam

Front 5 rows in section 340 should be good. One never knows what nature will do to the sound, but in general Soldier Field is not bad.

I bought 2nd night 3rd row section 214 3 seats 2 weeks ago just to lock them in. I was going to wait until the day of the concerts and see what shows up, but I had friends that really wanted to go and are coming in from out of town. TM offer at $315 seemed not so horrible, but with "fees,taxes" added in they are $410! Crazy money...

The latter was exactly my plan. Arrive in the City ticketless the day before and grab a last gasp drop. I saw one I quite fancied in row 6,, 340 at $171 all in, but I think I can do better by waiting it out.

TVM for your local knowledge of the Stadium btw. Very useful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-13 18:21 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 18:28

Yeah i'll take Karl Denson's Tiny Universe @ Thalia Hall over a Stones tribute band any day.

Date: May 13, 2019 19:10

mnewman505
Yeah i'll take Karl Denson's Tiny Universe @ Thalia Hall over a Stones tribute band any day.

Definitely would depend on the day for me.
Usually like attending the various shows of the sidemen, but based solely on youtube clips, it wouldn't take priority for me, especially at three times the cost. Venue looks cool though.

Date: May 13, 2019 19:31

mnewman505

Wise choice - every Stones fan should attend this, and if I was in town no doubt I'd be there.
Amazing looking venue, inexpensive tix, and you never know who else might show up on a Saturday night.
Seems like a no-brainer.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: May 14, 2019 05:20

Does anyone think rehearsals will now be in Chicago? the Park West is open from 6-14 through 6-21, seems like a good fit. I could see a club show on the Tuesday or Wednesday before the Friday tour kick off also. High end hotels are slim pickings, only a few rooms left at the Peninsula from 6-17 through 6-25. Can’t wait for this tour kick off in my hometown, got Pit 1 and 2 for shows 1 and 2...sweet home Chicago , blues style.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 05:31

1985jayer
Does anyone think rehearsals will now be in Chicago? the Park West is open from 6-14 through 6-21, seems like a good fit. I could see a club show on the Tuesday or Wednesday before the Friday tour kick off also. High end hotels are slim pickings, only a few rooms left at the Peninsula from 6-17 through 6-25. Can’t wait for this tour kick off in my hometown, got Pit 1 and 2 for shows 1 and 2...sweet home Chicago , blues style.

I thought about this too, as in if there will be a club show or not. I would be surprised if there was a club show this time around due to wanting to maximize the hype around Jagger's return to the stage after his surgery.

I think it would be too risky from a PR perspective to play a smaller show vs. returning to stadium level setting as the first show back.

That being said, I would be surprised if they did NOT rehearse in Chicago. I just don't think we will get a club show based on the circumstances. Of course though, I would love to be wrong smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-14 05:32 by Dougratajczak87.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1457
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home