Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 28
Re: Chicago IL USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 6, 2019 05:08

Hairball
timbernardis
Hairball
Back in 2010 a friend and I stumbled in to Buddy Guys Blues Legends, and lo and behold upon entering there was the man himself!
While Buddy wasn't performing that night, he was manning the gift shop area meeting and greeting people as they entered.
I bought a cool t-shirt from Buddy, he happily signed it with a sharpie, and then posed for a picture with the biggest smile you can imagine!

Along with the Sears Tower, there is the towering 360 Chicago (aka the John Hancock Tower) with a tilting observation deck - not for the squeamish!

360 CHICAGO Observation Deck

"360 CHICAGO observation deck, located 1000 feet above the famed Magnificent Mile in the iconic John Hancock Building,
offers breathtaking 360 degrees views of the city skyline and Lake Michigan. 360 Chicago observation deck is also home of TILT –
Chicago’s highest thrill ride – an enclosed moving platform that literally tilts you out over Michigan Avenue from the 94th Floor".

You bastard Hairball!! Was this in January when he typically plays shows there? Can u post the pic? Jealous.

plexi

No reason to be jealous, it was just a casual meet and greet with the legend himself
And no, it was in September, and no he didn't play, and if I can find the pic I will post (have it on a flashdrive somewhere), and I will wear the shirt at the final Chicago Stones show if I attend.thumbs up

And voila - found it!
And just like I remembered...Buddy manning the gift shop with marker in hand posing for a picture with the biggest smile you can imagine! smiling smiley
Reminds me of the time my wife and I saw him in a small theater a few years prior to this pic - he came out in to the crowd blazing away on a solo,
and let my wife pluck a few notes right in the thick if it. Her smile was as big as his, and he then placed his pick in my hand- of course I still have it! (ok now you can be jealous winking smiley )

swimtothemoon
The Beatles press conference in the mid sixties where they had to address the Beatle ban caused by their “The Beatles are more popular than god” statement was also held at the Palmer House.

I had no idea that was where that Beatles press conference took place!thumbs up

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 6, 2019 09:43

That is an awesome pic of an awesome dude. Thanks so much for posting! smileys with beer

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 6, 2019 11:10

Glad u found and posted it. Quite a nice pic. Hope he'll be there in June.

I remember at the Beacon when opening for the Stones he did the same thing -- waded out onto the floor whilst performing.

plexi

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: January 6, 2019 17:01

Buddy often stops in his club when he isn't on the road or around events like BluesFest. We were at Legends for Blues Fest brunch and he was in the club, chatting up my wife (of course). Fun club, just play by the rules (no sloppy drunks, no standing in front of the stage).

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 9, 2019 16:54

Well, those singles that popped up for $150 last week (one of which I bought) in sections 340, 339, 338 at Soldier are now $125, for anyone interested. Damn it all. Buying concert tickets is now like buying airline tickets.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 15, 2019 18:38

FYI, StubHub is starting to drop some ticket prices for the Tues show. These guys have a ridiculous number of tickets, and that is just from one scalper outlet. I will wait until the last day before I buy ANYTHING for these concerts in Chicago.

Date: January 15, 2019 18:42

Yeah, and the $125's in the 300 level have become $115. Ugh. Well, my ticket for Chi #2 is still better than what is available at those prices, but still, kinda frustrating. I will definitely be waiting before buying for Chicago #1.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 15, 2019 18:59

floodonthepage
Yeah, and the $125's in the 300 level have become $115. Ugh. Well, my ticket for Chi #2 is still better than what is available at those prices, but still, kinda frustrating. I will definitely be waiting before buying for Chicago #1.

Hey flood,

Pick up the phone and call Ticketmaster...
they might be able to exchange your ticket or give you a refund if you're nice.

Date: January 15, 2019 20:16

Kurt
floodonthepage

Hey flood,

Pick up the phone and call Ticketmaster...
they might be able to exchange your ticket or give you a refund if you're nice.

Really????? I would have thought they'd just say something like "you knew what you were buying" etc.etc....what line of reasoning would really I use? Especially as the ticket is arriving in my mailbox any day now....alas.

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: January 17, 2019 01:40

For those lucky ones coming to the Chicago shows, here's a few interesting things to do while in town.

* plenty of blues clubs. Favorites are (not necessarily in this order) Legends, B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted & Rosa's Lounge

* Depending on his touring schedule throughout the summer, the fabulous Sugar Blue often plays a standing show @ Rosa's Lounge on Wednesday nights

* Muddy Waters mural at 17 North State Street

* a visit to Muddy's former home at 4339 South Lake Park Avenue. Just to stand on those steps and think of what once went on there is a surreal experience!

* Chicago History Museum has an exhibit called Amplified: The Blues. We were there for opening night and it was amazing.

Sweet Home Chicago awaits yousmiling smiley!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 17, 2019 02:53

I’m seeing Buddy Guy a week before the Stones in april.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 17, 2019 03:28

Cubs at Wrigley field on 6/20

Posted by: JoolsH ()
Date: January 18, 2019 16:23

Hey all! I'm hoping to book flight tickets this weekend for Chicago. No tickets bought yet, ugh, but waiting for that PRICE DROP and need to secure at least 1 pair of Pits as we're travelling from London, UK. Please, please, please! Can't pay the outrageous prices at the moment! Also hoping there'll be another round of Lucky Dips nearer the time, but not banking on it!angry smiley

Two questions - we're thinking of getting an Air B&B to save some $$$... a good idea? Also - if we do go the hotel route - can you recommend any good, inexpensive ones?

Thanks!!!

Jools

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 18, 2019 19:35

JoolsH
Two questions - we're thinking of getting an Air B&B to save some $$$... a good idea?

Absolutely. That's my plan. Try and get something close to a CTA bus or Metro stop.

JoolsH
Also - if we do go the hotel route - can you recommend any good, inexpensive ones?

Thanks!!!

Jools

I think they've all gone, right?

Posted by: makustone ()
Date: January 18, 2019 20:04

JoolsH
Hey all! I'm hoping to book flight tickets this weekend for Chicago. No tickets bought yet, ugh, but waiting for that PRICE DROP and need to secure at least 1 pair of Pits as we're travelling from London, UK. Please, please, please! Can't pay the outrageous prices at the moment! Also hoping there'll be another round of Lucky Dips nearer the time, but not banking on it!angry smiley

Two questions - we're thinking of getting an Air B&B to save some $$$... a good idea? Also - if we do go the hotel route - can you recommend any good, inexpensive ones?

Thanks!!!

Jools

I booked at the hi chicago hostel. Maybe it's not what you're looking for as a private hotel room, I prefer for my budget to be able to buy pit to spend it in hotels but it is already to everyone's taste. Good luck in the search and greetings from Argentina! I hope I can meet my beloved London someday!

Date: January 18, 2019 20:40

Makustone... thanks!!! And I would love to see the boys in Argentina!!!!!

Air B&B I think it's gotta be!! As there's 2 of us & unless we get a private room, not sure yet on the hostels point BUT I'm definitely with you on keeping the money spent on hotels to use on Pit tickets!!!!

Date: January 18, 2019 21:30

JoolsH
Makustone... thanks!!! And I would love to see the boys in Argentina!!!!!

Air B&B I think it's gotta be!! As there's 2 of us & unless we get a private room, not sure yet on the hostels point BUT I'm definitely with you on keeping the money spent on hotels to use on Pit tickets!!!!

I just fixed in the hi chicago hostel and a private room for 2 people 1 week costs 962 dollars. I do not know how much is the airbnb

Date: January 19, 2019 12:54

Makustone, is that per person or each? Yeah, it will be a week, 6 days at the least. That's a good price! We're booking the flights today then will look into this plus air B&B. If we can get a hostel room together that's also fine, so that option is also still on the table. Will see what's out there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-19 12:58 by JoolsH.

Date: January 19, 2019 17:32

JoolsH
Makustone, is that per person or each? Yeah, it will be a week, 6 days at the least. That's a good price! We're booking the flights today then will look into this plus air B&B. If we can get a hostel room together that's also fine, so that option is also still on the table. Will see what's out there.

that is the price for 2. That is, they pay 481 dollars each. I look for it by Booking the hostel, and I book and pay the day of arrival so I have time to keep collecting the money haha. 2 blocks from the hostel is the buddy guy club so I think that will be my first stop in the sweet chicago.

Posted by: TheBlackRose ()
Date: February 19, 2019 14:19

During the tour there will be a photo exhibit about the Rolling Stones in Chicago on June 22, 2019. Free entrance!
You can read all about it and register here

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 19, 2019 14:57

TheBlackRose
During the tour there will be a photo exhibit about the Rolling Stones in Chicago on June 22, 2019. Free entrance!

thumbs up
Thanks for this...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 19, 2019 15:25

Nice, about 20 minutes from downtown by public transit. Definitely stopping by.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: February 19, 2019 19:53

TheBlackRose

I'm so looking forward to this exhibit!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 20, 2019 18:42

I've already got our time reserved for that day, 2 pm. Did anyone go on the website and see that it is called the Black Roses Exhibit and that the name of the person who posted about it yesterday is TheBlackRose? He or she must be an IORRian. Or just joined to promote the exhibit (and possibly sell fotos). And I got the impression that it will largely be fotos from the No Filter tour. I have no problem with any of this, just noticed it and wonder if anyone else did.

plexi

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 20, 2019 19:00

timbernardis
I've already got our time reserved for that day, 2 pm. Did anyone go on the website and see that it is called the Black Roses Exhibit and that the name of the person who posted about it yesterday is TheBlackRose? He or she must be an IORRian. Or just joined to promote the exhibit (and possibly sell fotos). And I got the impression that it will largely be fotos from the No Filter tour. I have no problem with any of this, just noticed it and wonder if anyone else did.

plexi

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 20, 2019 19:01

Yeah br just joined.
Jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 20, 2019 19:20

TheBlackRose joined a year ago, and based on her posts she's a big fan who saw the Stones several times in Europe during No Filter, as well as an amazing photographer.

She also has her own Stones blog and forum > THE ROLLING STONES TOUR BLOG & FORUM

Also a great facebook page which I joined last year inviting all to share their own photos:Rolling Stones Photography

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-20 19:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 20, 2019 20:23

timbernardis

plexi

We're there at 2 as well cool smiley
Going to the NY exhibit, but going with others in Chicago who will not have been.

Looking forward to it!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 7, 2019 23:34

The people who gave you Hamilton, the musical, are opening a large exhibition about Hamilton's life and times. It will be walking distance from Soldier Field.
[www.chicagotribune.com]

Posted by: RodNit ()
Date: March 12, 2019 19:02

Heya!

Im flying to Chicago (1st time!) from Brazil to my 5th Stones concert this june! I had a few questions, maybe some of you could help me out. Been looking on seatgeek for tickets and in doubt if I go General Admission (GA). I have been to lot of stadium concerts before, but never in a place where the front part of the floor was taken by seats. Is the GA too far in the back, or does it give you good general view at Soldier Stadium? Also, I thought people on GA tend to be more animated than in the seated floor area?

Any of you think the Pit is worth the 590 dollars that is being asked?

Also would love blues bar tips from the locals, beside BLUES, Kingston Mines, Legends and Rosas Lounge? Cheers, Rod.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home