Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 28
Re: Chicago IL USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 4, 2019 04:25

floodonthepage
In case anyone is interested, some decently priced singles in the first 4 rows of the 300 level (Ronnie side) have popped up on TM for Chicago #2. Just pulled one in Section 339, Row 4 for $153 ($188 w/ fees). Tickets in this area were going for $199 as "Tumbling Dice Packages" I believe. Seats in same area are going for $400+ on broker sites.

Now to get a deal on Chicago #1 if I can, tickets for which remain pretty damn high.

Nice. thumbs up

Good to know the prices are already dropping, especially for what is considered the sacred last show of the tour.
We'll be seeing more and more of these price drops for all shows from here on out on Ticketmaster, Costco, Groupon, stubhub, etc.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 4, 2019 07:10

Hairball
floodonthepage
In case anyone is interested, some decently priced singles in the first 4 rows of the 300 level (Ronnie side) have popped up on TM for Chicago #2. Just pulled one in Section 339, Row 4 for $153 ($188 w/ fees). Tickets in this area were going for $199 as "Tumbling Dice Packages" I believe. Seats in same area are going for $400+ on broker sites.

Now to get a deal on Chicago #1 if I can, tickets for which remain pretty damn high.

Nice. thumbs up

Good to know the prices are already dropping, especially for what is considered the sacred last show of the tour.
We'll be seeing more and more of these price drops for all shows from here on out on Ticketmaster, Costco, Groupon, stubhub, etc.

Yeah, true. While it's great to have a ticket in hand for one of the two Chicago shows so far, it's now the realization that maybe I still could have gotten it cheaper if I waited. I just got tired of thinking about it and checking everyday! I'll play the wait game for Chicago #1......as long as I can......maybe March? winking smiley

Date: January 4, 2019 07:27

floodonthepage
Hairball
floodonthepage

Nice. thumbs up

Yeah, true. While it's great to have a ticket in hand for one of the two Chicago shows so far, it's now the realization that maybe I still could have gotten it cheaper if I waited. I just got tired of thinking about it and checking everyday! I'll play the wait game for Chicago #1......as long as I can......maybe March? winking smiley

You did good with Chicago #2 (and yes it's a sense of relief), and you'll probably do just as good for Chicago I.
Maybe they'll dump some more Lucky Dips along with all the other inevitable ticket drops?
Whatever the case, now you can rest easy for Chicago #2 with a decent seat.thumbs up

Date: January 4, 2019 17:11

Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
floodonthepage

Nice. thumbs up

You did good with Chicago #2 (and yes it's a sense of relief), and you'll probably do just as good for Chicago I.
Maybe they'll dump some more Lucky Dips along with all the other inevitable ticket drops?
Whatever the case, now you can rest easy for Chicago #2 with a decent seat.thumbs up

cool smileythumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 4, 2019 18:08

Happy new year to everyone going to Chicago. The tour opener in 1997. A great city to see the Stones. Eight days in Chicago will be amazing. This will be the Warsaw of the tour, the final stop...

Bjornulf

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: January 4, 2019 18:23

BV-A 21 year TumblinDice76 was young and dumb and wore a Stones tee with no coat or jacket to opening night '97. Needless to say it was unseasonably cold that night! Probably my all time favorite concert of any band at any venue.

Date: January 4, 2019 20:53

I do still remember the first night out at Soldier Field back in 1997. It was the first night for me, and the first night for the Stones with the BtB stage.

It was Saturday September 20, 1997. I was visiting a friend who held a manager position at Soldier Field during the afternoon. After having shown me the stage, the venue, the area, I was asked: "Do you want to hang around for a while?" Sure, I said. I had a working pass and I could move around all over the stadium.

First I was sitting in on a golf cart backstage. We stopped for a bit, and then the cars came in. Keith and his entourage walked by right next to me. I said hello and I knew this was the closest meet-up with Keith so far in my years as a fan. It would be closer later, but that is another story.

I left the golf cart backstage and moved to the empty pitch. After may be half an hour the band was all there. The real BtB bridge was not ready, so they had a "flat" bridge. I remember Charlie walked first out on the bridge, then the rest of the band followed. Mick and Charlie looked around, they were the designers, and I could see they inspected the temporarily bridge, how it worked, it would be on the tour until the real bridge arrived.

Then they went on stage. The details of the rehersals were published heere, see link below, I posted this page Sept 1997 i.e. 21 years ago on IORR:

The Chicago Rehearsals September 1997

First I stayed close, all by myself, watching how the band was performing. The music was great. Mick was working the stage like there was a crowd, but there was only me there. He thanked the missing crowd and pointed and worked real hard. I got the new song "Anybody Seen My Baby" live for the first time, it was a blast and I was in Stones heaven.

I walked around. At one point I was standing right next to Michael Cohl. He did not know me so I was just anybody with a pass watching, while he watched the band as the tour manager.

Someone said I should check out the show as seen from the very top of the seated areas, it was dark, and I could see the Chicago skyline with all the great buildings as a backdrop behing and above the stadium and the stage. It was a great view. I don't spend muuch time that far away from the stage nolrmally, but believe me, if you have a seat in that area, it is am amazing view at Soldier Field, and the sound was still great.

They did a real show for two hours, with retakes of "Bitch" and "Ruby Tuesday". Then shortly before 11pm it was over, and I walked out of the stadium. Outside there were many friends who had followed these first rehearsals. I had such a boost from this experience, and it kept me working hard for more new and great experiences with the Stones. Basically, if they do a soundcheck, rehearsal, or siply play some place, I just want to be there, if possible.

For sure Chicago June 2019 will be another great experience!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-04 20:58 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 4, 2019 22:03

bv
Happy new year to everyone going to Chicago. The tour opener in 1997. A great city to see the Stones. Eight days in Chicago will be amazing. This will be the Warsaw of the tour, the final stop...

And a very Happy New Year to you as well Bjornulf!

Have never seen the Stones in Chicago yet and I am really looking forward to it.
Even more so now with your hearty endorsement and recollections.
Can't wait!!

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 4, 2019 22:33

Great write up BV. I too will be heading to Chicago 2 (from Boston) for my 1st Stones show there and what will be around my 40th Stones show overall. Can't wait. I do get the feeling that IF this is the last show (at least in the US), that Chicago would be the right town for them to do it. Home of the blues...

Date: January 4, 2019 23:09

Thank you, Happy New Year to you too Bjornulf! Great '97 story. I was there for the BtB opening shows as well. Great shows, with the debuts of "She's a Rainbow" and "Sister Morphine" in the 2nd show.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 5, 2019 02:52

Hope to meet ya finally in Chicago BV!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 5, 2019 03:19

Hairball
chrisvw
DEmerson
Chris - thinking of flying in for the 2nd show from Boston. Flights are cheap enough - it's hotels that are $$ in Chicago. Not a cheap one, but are you at all familiar with the Marriott Marquis on S. Prairie Ave.? Looks to be fairly near Soldier Field. Walking distance? (I'm a Marriott points guy, so...)

i'm not familiar with that hotel, but i see that they're charging over $400 per night in mid-june. the palmer house is about half that. it really is an historic hotel with a beautiful lobby, and located closer to many chicago attractions than the marriott.

I've also stayed at the Palmer house who were hosting an academic conference my wife and participated in - just earlier this year in fact. Very nice historical hotel and beautiful lobby/bar area. My wife has submitted presentations for several other conferences around the country for next year, and one of them falls on the same week as the 2nd Stones show in Chicago. I'm praying she gets accepted for it, and if accepted for this particular one I'll do everything I can to convince her we need to go!!! Meanwhile, I'm already scouting out possibilities of flights, hotels, Stones tix, etc. winking smiley

I m sure she will be accepted and that u both will be there, Hairball.

And yes, the Palmer House is quite historic. In 1879, the Reno Court of Inquiry was held there. Reno was Custer's second in command at the Little Bighorn three years earlier and had asked for the Inquiry to clear his name of the blame.

plexi

Date: January 5, 2019 03:21

Topi
Decided to take the New York -> Chicago travel to another, more appropriate thread.

Now I am seeing the low one-way fares from New York to Chicago that Dreamtime pointed out in the "tour thread", but those are out of La Guardia. PM

My problem is I'm staying in NJ and hence flying out of Newark, so it needs to be a direct one-way from Newark to Chicago. Right now I see the lowest early-morning fares going for about 110 USD (doesn't include a bag). Afternoon flights are going for 180 USD.

Question: is 100-150 a good one-way fare from Newark to Chicago?

I would say that rate is quite good for flying half way across the country.

plexi

Date: January 5, 2019 03:47

timbernardis
Topi
Decided to take the New York -> Chicago travel to another, more appropriate thread.

Now I am seeing the low one-way fares from New York to Chicago that Dreamtime pointed out in the "tour thread", but those are out of La Guardia. PM

My problem is I'm staying in NJ and hence flying out of Newark, so it needs to be a direct one-way from Newark to Chicago. Right now I see the lowest early-morning fares going for about 110 USD (doesn't include a bag). Afternoon flights are going for 180 USD.

Question: is 100-150 a good one-way fare from Newark to Chicago?

I would say that rate is quite good for flying half way across the country.

plexi

Half way across the country?!!! The distance between Newark and Chicago is less than 800 miles away, while the country itself is apprx. 2800 miles wide from coast to coast!
And if we were to include Hawaii - the 50th state - it would be apprx. 5,100 miles wide! That said, I'd say $100-$150 is a fair rate, though I can fly from L.A. to Chicago (apprx. 2,000 miles away) for about $400 round trip!

Date: January 5, 2019 03:49

timbernardis
Hairball
chrisvw
DEmerson
Chris - thinking of flying in for the 2nd show from Boston. Flights are cheap enough - it's hotels that are $$ in Chicago. Not a cheap one, but are you at all familiar with the Marriott Marquis on S. Prairie Ave.? Looks to be fairly near Soldier Field. Walking distance? (I'm a Marriott points guy, so...)

i'm not familiar with that hotel, but i see that they're charging over $400 per night in mid-june. the palmer house is about half that. it really is an historic hotel with a beautiful lobby, and located closer to many chicago attractions than the marriott.

I've also stayed at the Palmer house who were hosting an academic conference my wife and participated in - just earlier this year in fact. Very nice historical hotel and beautiful lobby/bar area. My wife has submitted presentations for several other conferences around the country for next year, and one of them falls on the same week as the 2nd Stones show in Chicago. I'm praying she gets accepted for it, and if accepted for this particular one I'll do everything I can to convince her we need to go!!! Meanwhile, I'm already scouting out possibilities of flights, hotels, Stones tix, etc. winking smiley

I m sure she will be accepted and that u both will be there, Hairball.

plexi

We love Chicago! thumbs up

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 5, 2019 17:51

Other things to do in Chicago June 2019:

- Cubs at Wrigley Field.
- Major museums near Soldier Field, including Art Institute, Field Museum of Natural History, Adler Planetarium, and Shedd Aquarium.
- Many other great museums, including these:
[www.thrillist.com]
- Grant Park Music Festival near Soldier Field and downtown.
- Beautiful freshwater beaches on the lake, including the North Ave. and Oak St. beaches not far from the downtown hotels.
- Great cheap local eats, including deep dish pizza, Italian beef, Vienna hot dogs, etc.
- Great fancy restaurants, too.

Should we organize an IORR tour of the Chess Records Studio?
[www.bluesheaven.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 5, 2019 17:52

For those arriving a couple days before the concerts there are two Chicago Cubs vs Chicago Whites Sox (popular cross town rivalry games) being played at historic Wrigley Field on the 18th and 19th.
[www.mlb.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 5, 2019 17:57

Don't forget the great Steakhouses if you are a meat eater. On one of the off nights make a reservation and get a great meal.

Catch a Cubs game at Wrigley Field. They are home.

Things NOT to do.

Avoid the dangerous spots in the south side. Chicago has some of the worst gun violence in America but it is mostly isolated to specific areas. Just be careful.

Date: January 5, 2019 19:06

Thanks for all the great Chicago travel suggestions. I will add copies to the front page of this thread, so that they will be easy to find at all times.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 5, 2019 19:12

"Avoid the dangerous spots in the south side. Chicago has some of the worst gun violence in America but it is mostly isolated to specific areas. Just be careful."
There are very dangerous areas in pockets in the City, mostly on the South and West sides. Ask a local before you go somewhere.
There's very little gun violence in most of the City. But even downtown and on N. Michigan Avenue, you do have to keep your eyes open. It's a wonderful city, but there is a background level of urban crime.
Finally, there are lots of trendy, walkable neighborhoods in the City (with good food), like Wicker Park, Bucktown, Hyde Park, and Logan Square, and also more edgy but interesting neighborhoods like Pilsen.

Date: January 5, 2019 20:18

Back in 2010 a friend and I stumbled in to Buddy Guys Blues Legends, and lo and behold upon entering there was the man himself!
While Buddy wasn't performing that night, he was manning the gift shop area meeting and greeting people as they entered.
I bought a cool t-shirt from Buddy, he happily signed it with a sharpie, and then posed for a picture with the biggest smile you can imagine!

Along with the Sears Tower, there is the towering 360 Chicago (aka the John Hancock Tower) with a tilting observation deck - not for the squeamish!

360 CHICAGO Observation Deck

"360 CHICAGO observation deck, located 1000 feet above the famed Magnificent Mile in the iconic John Hancock Building,
offers breathtaking 360 degrees views of the city skyline and Lake Michigan. 360 Chicago observation deck is also home of TILT –
Chicago’s highest thrill ride – an enclosed moving platform that literally tilts you out over Michigan Avenue from the 94th Floor".

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 5, 2019 20:21

Take a boat tour in the river. The architectural society tour, or paddle yourself in a kayak. Actually do both. Amazing stuff

Also there's great jazz music every night not just blues. And great food at all levels.

Avoid tourist traps like the navy pier, pick a neighborhood and walk around like suggested above.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: January 5, 2019 20:23

I will stay at The Whitehall Hotel, is that a safe area in Chicago?

Date: January 5, 2019 20:33

JumpinJeppeFlash

Safe and very nice area - just a block from the 360 Tower and Miracle Mile, and a couple more blocks to Lake Michigan.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: January 5, 2019 20:38

Hairball
JumpinJeppeFlash

Safe and very nice area - just a block from the 360 Tower and Miracle Mile, and a couple more blocks to Lake Michigan.

Many Thankssmileys with beer

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: January 5, 2019 21:54

Hairball
JumpinJeppeFlash

i believe the stones stayed at the whitehall in the mid-70's; we met bill wyman standing out in front and chatted with him for quite a while. nice guy!

Date: January 5, 2019 22:33

Hairball
Back in 2010 a friend and I stumbled in to Buddy Guys Blues Legends, and lo and behold upon entering there was the man himself!
While Buddy wasn't performing that night, he was manning the gift shop area meeting and greeting people as they entered.
I bought a cool t-shirt from Buddy, he happily signed it with a sharpie, and then posed for a picture with the biggest smile you can imagine!

Along with the Sears Tower, there is the towering 360 Chicago (aka the John Hancock Tower) with a tilting observation deck - not for the squeamish!

"360 CHICAGO observation deck, located 1000 feet above the famed Magnificent Mile in the iconic John Hancock Building,
offers breathtaking 360 degrees views of the city skyline and Lake Michigan. 360 Chicago observation deck is also home of TILT –
Chicago’s highest thrill ride – an enclosed moving platform that literally tilts you out over Michigan Avenue from the 94th Floor".

You bastard Hairball!! Was this in January when he typically plays shows there? Can u post the pic? Jealous.

plexi

Date: January 6, 2019 00:07

timbernardis
Hairball

You bastard Hairball!! Was this in January when he typically plays shows there? Can u post the pic? Jealous.

plexi

No reason to be jealous, it was just a casual meet and greet with the legend himself
And no, it was in September, and no he didn't play, and if I can find the pic I will post (have it on a flashdrive somewhere), and I will wear the shirt at the final Chicago Stones show if I attend.thumbs up

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 6, 2019 00:50

timbernardis
Hairball

plexi

Hi Plexi. When Buddy plays at his club he always greets the fans before he leaves
and signs Cd’s etc. He is very appreciative of his fans. By the way, thanks for
the history lesson on the Palmer House. I was not aware of this history. I do know the Stones have stayed there in the past - the last time being like 75 or
72. The Beatles press conference in the mid sixties where they had to address
the Beatle ban caused by their “The Beatles are more popular than god” statement
was also held at the Palmer House. I’m sure there are more interesting Rock and
Roll facts to go along with the Palmer House history - but I just can’t remember
them at the moment.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home