Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 28
Re: Chicago IL USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2018 23:51

JN99
Voodookitten76
JN99
For you CHI peeps, I'm booked at the Warwick Allerton - decent hotel and location? Is it walkable (and safe to walk) to and from Soldier Field. Thanks.

Ooh, fancy. That's in a very nice spot on the Mag Mile--lots of high end shopping nearby. Kind of a long walk, but if you're in shape you can do it. Definitely a safe part of town.

Thanks - it seemed like a decent hotel and a good location but I was surprised at the rates, around $150/nt, which seemed like almost too good of a deal for a decent downtown hotel.

I've stayed there before - very nice hotel. thumbs up

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 30, 2018 23:52

One of my bookings is at the Warwick Allerton. It's an option. Thanks for the tip!

Date: December 1, 2018 00:26

Chicago #2 pits going for 650 + fees at the moment

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 02:14

Never bought LD tickets before. Managed to get two pairs of LD tickets for Chi 1 & 2.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: December 1, 2018 09:14

chrisvw
i live in chicago and wouldn't recommend staying so far south for the concerts. it will be difficult to get transportation after the show.

have you looked at the palmer house hotel downtown? it's an historic hotel, not too expensive, and you could probably walk to soldier field. it's near the lake and many sightseeing opportunities in chicago.

Thank you!

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: December 1, 2018 09:16

DEmerson
Chris - thinking of flying in for the 2nd show from Boston. Flights are cheap enough - it's hotels that are $$ in Chicago. Not a cheap one, but are you at all familiar with the Marriott Marquis on S. Prairie Ave.? Looks to be fairly near Soldier Field. Walking distance? (I'm a Marriott points guy, so...)

Thank you

(Or was this for the other Chris?? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 17:59

The Congress Plaza Hotel is also a nice one and quite close to Soldier Field. Very walkable.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 1, 2018 18:10

Voodookitten76
The Congress Plaza Hotel is also a nice one and quite close to Soldier Field. Very walkable.

Booked this one for six nights for both shows.
Total per night for double room <140 a night (pre-announcement).
Less than a mile from Soldier Field.

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: December 1, 2018 20:04

DEmerson
Chris - thinking of flying in for the 2nd show from Boston. Flights are cheap enough - it's hotels that are $$ in Chicago. Not a cheap one, but are you at all familiar with the Marriott Marquis on S. Prairie Ave.? Looks to be fairly near Soldier Field. Walking distance? (I'm a Marriott points guy, so...)

i'm not familiar with that hotel, but i see that they're charging over $400 per night in mid-june. the palmer house is about half that. it really is an historic hotel with a beautiful lobby, and located closer to many chicago attractions than the marriott.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2018 20:17

chrisvw
DEmerson

i'm not familiar with that hotel, but i see that they're charging over $400 per night in mid-june. the palmer house is about half that. it really is an historic hotel with a beautiful lobby, and located closer to many chicago attractions than the marriott.

I've also stayed at the Palmer house who were hosting an academic conference my wife and participated in - just earlier this year in fact. Very nice historical hotel and beautiful lobby/bar area. My wife has submitted presentations for several other conferences around the country for next year, and one of them falls on the same week as the 2nd Stones show in Chicago. I'm praying she gets accepted for it, and if accepted for this particular one I'll do everything I can to convince her we need to go!!! Meanwhile, I'm already scouting out possibilities of flights, hotels, Stones tix, etc. winking smiley

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 1, 2018 20:42

i wonder how limited the "limited view" is near the stage. saw some stuff pop up in 341 and 342 at solider.....near catwalks but not sure what makes it "limited"....screens I suppose?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:09

little queenie
after an hour, i got in to find i don't want any of them. mostly "packages" -- even crap seats on the side.

I was wondering if you were in the thick of things. I figured you to be serious player for the big money pit tickets. You seem kind of uninterested. I don't blame you, you've been around long enough to know the real value of a Stones ticket. Good luck. You'll find good values the weeks leading up to the show.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 2, 2018 01:46

Queenie, hope you go to Chicago shows. There's a small possibility I could be at one.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: mcgeez8 ()
Date: December 2, 2018 21:42

Anyone have an idea how to buy parking passes for the official soldier field lots? I noticed they have some listed on stubhub but can not figure out where to buy for face. Usually they are posted on the parking website but aren’t for this show.

Soldier field parking

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: December 4, 2018 02:19

Maybe I'm misunderstanding a little,but section 115 and 119 says limited viewing but looks pretty straight ahead to me.

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: December 4, 2018 02:50

mcgeez8
Anyone have an idea how to buy parking passes for the official soldier field lots? I noticed they have some listed on stubhub but can not figure out where to buy for face. Usually they are posted on the parking website but aren’t for this show.

Soldier field parking

If you don't end up getting a parking pass for Soldier Field, you can park at the Sky55 Garage, 1255 S Michigan Ave, (or any number of other places) through the Parking Panda app. It's quite close by.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Date: December 4, 2018 03:51

just a thought - there's a really terrific stones' tribute band in chicago named beggars banquet, if anyone's interested in booking them for a party. they are really good, they're nice guys, and honestly, they really capture the sound and essence of the stones. you can go to their website at stonestributeband.com for an idea of what they're like.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: December 4, 2018 04:12

I've heard of them chrisvw, have you heard of the other Chicago Stones tribute band hotrocks? I will be locking down one of these bands for a Stones party. What day does everyone think will be the best, I was thinking Saturday or Sunday night between the Chicago shows. People might need Saturday night off to recover so Sunday night? Cheers from Chicago.

Date: December 4, 2018 04:57

1985jayer
I've heard of them chrisvw, have you heard of the other Chicago Stones tribute band hotrocks? I will be locking down one of these bands for a Stones party. What day does everyone think will be the best, I was thinking Saturday or Sunday night between the Chicago shows. People might need Saturday night off to recover so Sunday night? Cheers from Chicago.

i've got to tell you that beggars banquet is, by far, the better band. they are really very good; an excellent slide guitar player, a great keith (almost keithier than keith!). our mick is amazing, and has a great sense of humor. drummer is also very good, as is the bassist.

my husband and i have personally hired beggars to play at private parties we've sponsored, and everyone loves them. we've had some of their songs on our iPad and people nearby actually thought it was the stones.

i'm not a fan of hot rocks. they don't stay in character, and the lead guitar acts more like springsteen than keith. the mick guy is also sometimes a little gross. they're not very good musicians; they once flew bobby keys in to play with them, and bobby was not happy playing with them.

my husband and i recently had a party and had a pro photographer shoot beggars' performance. as soon as we get the recordings from him, i'll try to post a link to it so you can see for yourself.

i should mention that beggars plays at the dock at montrose beach once a month in the summer, ad it may happen that they'll be playing there on saturday 6/22 from 7 'til 10. that's not locked in yet, but it's possible. it's a great beachside bistro/bar right on lake michigan - great place for a party!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 05:04 by chrisvw.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: December 4, 2018 05:40

chrisvw
1985jayer

i've got to tell you that beggars banquet is, by far, the better band. they are really very good; an excellent slide guitar player, a great keith (almost keithier than keith!). our mick is amazing, and has a great sense of humor. drummer is also very good, as is the bassist.

my husband and i have personally hired beggars to play at private parties we've sponsored, and everyone loves them. we've had some of their songs on our iPad and people nearby actually thought it was the stones.

i'm not a fan of hot rocks. they don't stay in character, and the lead guitar acts more like springsteen than keith. the mick guy is also sometimes a little gross. they're not very good musicians; they once flew bobby keys in to play with them, and bobby was not happy playing with them.

my husband and i recently had a party and had a pro photographer shoot beggars' performance. as soon as we get the recordings from him, i'll try to post a link to it so you can see for yourself.

i should mention that beggars plays at the dock at montrose beach once a month in the summer, ad it may happen that they'll be playing there on saturday 6/22 from 7 'til 10. that's not locked in yet, but it's possible. it's a great beachside bistro/bar right on lake michigan - great place for a party!

Thanks for the info, agreed on the Mick hot rocks info also. I know Montrose harbor well, I'm a northsider chilling in Southport
corridor area. Montrose is a fun place, cheers

Date: December 4, 2018 10:29

Some downward price flex going on with the Chicago #2 Ronnie side pits. 660 yesterday, now 589.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 4, 2018 10:40

Topi: Yes, they have listed Pit tickets for $583 + fees since yesterday, but when you try to purchase them, the price automatically change. I added a ticket for 583, but in my basket it said $679 + fees. Did the same today and the price changed to more than $1000 + fees. It's just a clickbait scheme.

Date: December 4, 2018 10:52

Did you try your phone? I found that sometimes I am able to grab the "lower price" with my smartphone.

Date: December 16, 2018 07:39

Decided to take the New York -> Chicago travel to another, more appropriate thread.

Now I am seeing the low one-way fares from New York to Chicago that Dreamtime pointed out in the "tour thread", but those are out of La Guardia.

My problem is I'm staying in NJ and hence flying out of Newark, so it needs to be a direct one-way from Newark to Chicago. Right now I see the lowest early-morning fares going for about 110 USD (doesn't include a bag). Afternoon flights are going for 180 USD.

Question: is 100-150 a good one-way fare from Newark to Chicago?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 16, 2018 08:19

I'm in for Chicago 2. thumbs up

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 16, 2018 08:22

Topi

Question: is 100-150 a good one-way fare from Newark to Chicago?

If you go on Google Flights, and click on the price graph option you can see that's pretty much the going rate for one carry-on and one checked bag from January onwards - so I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to buy a ticket right now. Delta and American are both at about $137 for their 9:30 am flights on June 18/19, IIRC. Or is that also too early for you?! Now if you just have a carry-on, that American flight drops to about $106.(Whatever you do, it beats a 17-hour bus.)

Date: December 16, 2018 11:08

Oh, I am going to have to check a bag as well, about 30 USD on American Airlines. An afternoon flight would be ideal so I could check into my hotel right away in Chicago.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 16, 2018 12:18

Topi
Oh, I am going to have to check a bag as well, about 30 USD on American Airlines. An afternoon flight would be ideal so I could check into my hotel right away in Chicago.

Afternoon flights seem definitely pricier. You might want to consider an early flight to reduce risk of flight delays caused by summer thunderstorms. The hotel can look after your baggage.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 16, 2018 17:23

Aquamarine
I'm in for Chicago 2. thumbs up

Ohhh you’re a lucky duck.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 3, 2019 22:19

In case anyone is interested, some decently priced singles in the first 4 rows of the 300 level (Ronnie side) have popped up on TM for Chicago #2. Just pulled one in Section 339, Row 4 for $153 ($188 w/ fees). Tickets in this area were going for $199 as "Tumbling Dice Packages" I believe. Seats in same area are going for $400+ on broker sites.

Now to get a deal on Chicago #1 if I can, tickets for which remain pretty damn high.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home