Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Pasadena CA USA (near Los Angeles) 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: March 8, 2019 19:04

If you are from out of town and want to stay somewhere cool, centrally located to great spots, and with some great rock history, stay at the Andaz on Sunset. Formerly the infamous Riot (Hyatt) House.

[www.hyatt.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 19:06 by Kennedy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 8, 2019 19:55

Or you can slum it and stay in the room Jim Morrison lived in:

Evidently the motel decided cashed in on this bit of trivia, and it's not cheap....

I've never been there (have only driven by it), but BEWARE....lol.... many Doors fans from around the world like to stay there!

Story and more pics here - Strange Days - interesting website dedicated to curiosities in California

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 8, 2019 20:51

If you want to stay on the Westside, I would opt for Santa Monica right now instead of Westwood...they're in the middle of a lengthy metro/subway extension project at Wilshire/Westwood Blvd. that is making the area more congested than usual. Although the work is being done primarily during overnight hours, it's still a mess through there, especially during the week.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: March 8, 2019 22:11

Kennedy
Why would you stay in Westwood?

Why not?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 9, 2019 00:24

Hairball
BluzDude

I'd be your neighbor if only I could convince the wife we should move!grinning smiley

Bring her up here for the day, or better yet make it a weekend getaway - she'll be convinced!
If commuting is an issue, many commute back and forth (I used to commute to Cal State Northridge every day), though it can be pretty tough at times to put it mildly...ugh...

As for those asking about the shuttle, I emailed the Rose Bowl a couple of weeks ago, and this was their reply:

'Thank you for your inquiry. The Rose Bowl Stadium will activate a shuttle operation for the Rolling Stones concert.
The shuttle will leave from the Parsons Engineering Building in Old Town Pasadena and drop-off in Lot B at the stadium.
The shuttle will do the reverse route at the end of the show. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions'.

I used it for Arroyo Seco Weekend and it was the same meeting place - very convenient.
I walked to it from the Sheraton in Old Town, so not sure if there is a fee to park there. I should have asked, but chances are there might be - maybe somebody else knows?

As for staying in Westwood, yes nice enough and convenient as mentioned, and the price is probably right. That said, I have some friends who are coming in from Chicago next week, and chose to stay in Santa Monica (where I was born and raised). Prices can be a bit high, but they found a good deal. And if you have a rental car, it's not much further to Pasadena. Then again, you can stay in Westwood and drive to Santa Monica to see the beach, the pier, and everything else it has to offer...and the Venice boardwalk is just south.

I'm working on it, I retire next year so it's a possibility - I love Ventura county.

I too was born in Santa Monica and lived for several years on 11th Street just north of Wilshire.

Posted by: scotmw65 ()
Date: March 9, 2019 01:04

Been to both, Morrison room is a block from Doors offices and Barneys Beanery.The room is noisy because of traffic on La Cienega. Still rock n roll history.Barneys has a great selection of beer.

Date: March 9, 2019 06:20

dimrstone
Kennedy
Why would you stay in Westwood?

Why not?

Because I could name you at least 10 better options for out of town guests looking for a fun weekend. Maybe 20. Westwood isn't really a "go to" for just about anything, unless UCLA related. More residential.

Date: March 9, 2019 06:22

That Doors stuff is awesome. Never knew about it. I'm gonna have to head down there soon.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 11, 2019 22:32

Hairball
keefmick
Further to Hairball's comment, while it is nice to have a good opener, I do not think they sell a single extra ticket because of who the opener is. The prices are too expensive for that. Everyone that is there is there to see the Stones.

In the case of the very poor selling Glendale Arizona show, if they were to get a big country star such as Chris Stapleton or someone of that stature, might sway a few folks who really want to see just him and would help sell at least a few more tickets. As was the case in San Francisco 2005 when Metallica was the opener. Many were there just to see Metallica, and I remember hearing a couple of young knuckleheads after the show shouting "Metallica blew away the Stones"!!! smiling smiley

And I remember hearing a bunch of Stones fans were hiding in the parking lot so they could pretend it didn't happen.

Date: March 11, 2019 23:26

Dan
Hairball
keefmick
Further to Hairball's comment, while it is nice to have a good opener, I do not think they sell a single extra ticket because of who the opener is. The prices are too expensive for that. Everyone that is there is there to see the Stones.

In the case of the very poor selling Glendale Arizona show, if they were to get a big country star such as Chris Stapleton or someone of that stature, might sway a few folks who really want to see just him and would help sell at least a few more tickets. As was the case in San Francisco 2005 when Metallica was the opener. Many were there just to see Metallica, and I remember hearing a couple of young knuckleheads after the show shouting "Metallica blew away the Stones"!!! smiling smiley

And I remember hearing a bunch of Stones fans were hiding in the parking lot so they could pretend it didn't happen.

I think I was hiding at a nearby bar lol...

Saw Metallica in '86 open for Ozzy at Long Beach Arena when they were still good - Master of Puppets.
By the time 2005 came around...yawn...but I can understand why some young Metallica fans might have thought they were better than the Stones - especially those who paid just to see them as openers.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: March 12, 2019 18:53

I haven't been following too closely but it seems like Rose Bowl tickets are getting more expensive?!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 11, 2019 20:27

(Moving to more appropriate thread)
Hairball
OhYesMeAgain
Hi HairBall. I don't know LA very well, and I think that you do. I was wondering, after the Pasadena show at the Rose Bowl, do you think I would have enough time to catch a Megabus in Burbank at the Downtown Burbank Metrolink Station? I would be traveling by cab or by Uber to Burbank. The bus leaves, heading to Oakland CA, at 11:25 p.m.Thanks!

Hmmm...close call on that one depending on when the show ends and how swiftly you can get out of the stadium which could be the biggest delay.
According to google map directions, it's only 10 miles and apprx. a 14 minute drive between the the Rose Bowl and Burbank Metrolink taking the 134 freeway to the 5 freeway, but again might take a while to get out of the stadium area which can get congested. Maybe Dan or Dean Goodman or bluzdude can chime in with some advice.

Basically impossible, assuming the show ends about 11 pm. Congestion, as Hairball, rightly notes, will slow you down. And how many other people do you think will be waiting for Ubers? I had the same dilemma in reverse at Oakland in 2013 - had to leave just as Satisfaction was starting to run to the BART station to catch the last train to get to the Megabus pick-up. No fun.

Posted by: brucepv ()
Date: May 11, 2019 20:52

Exiting the Rose Bowl after any event is a nightmare. Also, trying to Secure an Uber is equally as difficult in my experience. My advice is to walk to a bar after the show, have a pint or two, and take a later bus. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 12, 2019 16:23

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-12 18:03 by Kurt.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 12, 2019 16:54

It's just a TM system glitch, Kurt.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 12, 2019 18:03

Topi
It's just a TM system glitch, Kurt.

thumbs upcool smileythumbs up

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: May 17, 2019 01:56

Gaetzi
I haven't been following too closely but it seems like Rose Bowl tickets are getting more expensive?!
They sure as Hell are...nothing below $200

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 22, 2019 00:58

Date: May 22, 2019 01:01

It's official! smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2019 01:09

Time to revisit this great video, maybe they'll do an updated version! smiling smiley

Rose Bowl Announces Rolling Stones Concert

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 17, 2019 14:42

Can someone tell me what the parking situation is like in Pasadena? Thank you!

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: July 10, 2019 20:05

Hairball
Time to revisit this great video, maybe they'll do an updated version! smiling smiley

Rose Bowl Announces Rolling Stones Concert
Wow! that's pretty cool

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: July 15, 2019 18:34

Dumb question from an anxious European: is it safe to walk after the concert three kilometers to Pasadena Old town?

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: July 15, 2019 19:21

As I understand it, it is very safe as loads of people will be walking to Old Town hotels, including me and my daughter.

Posted by: mmarloe ()
Date: July 18, 2019 01:55

Yes. The area is very safe.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 19, 2019 00:59

Stoneswolf
Dumb question from an anxious European: is it safe to walk after the concert three kilometers to Pasadena Old town?

Not at all a dumb question because many venues are not in safe neighborhoods.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: July 19, 2019 11:41

mmarloe
Yes. The area is very safe.

Thanks!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 26, 2019 16:06

Really hope Angus Young will be there, at least backstage with Keith like in Düsseldorf.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 26, 2019 18:12

powerage78
Really hope Angus Young will be there, at least backstage with Keith like in Düsseldorf.

something why are you thinking that? or only love for both bands and hope?

Date: July 26, 2019 21:06

keefmick
As I understand it, it is very safe as loads of people will be walking to Old Town hotels, including me and my daughter.

Very safe. Especially when there is an event in town. I live in Pasadena, about 2 miles from Old Town and the Rose Bowl. Pasadena does events right when it comes to safety...not to mention these parts of Pasadena being safe areas in general.

Logistics is another story entirely. I hate events at the Rose Bowl, as it sits down in a canyon with limited single lane roads in/out.

To give you an idea of how much I despise Rose Bowl events (again I live 2 miles away), and I AM NOT GOING TO THIS SHOW... See ya'll in Phoenix!!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1297
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home