Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Pasadena CA USA (near Los Angeles) 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Liepger ()
Date: January 21, 2019 17:34

Both me and wife are looking forward to enjoy the show (and to mark 50th birthday anniversary year for both of us), coming over from Europe to Pasadena. I was just searching through internet to tune-up other activities and places to see during our week long stay at LA.

Accidentally I found a site, stating "The Rolling Stones with The Sheepdogs". So, I understand, The Sheepdogs will be the support act at Rose Bowl, Pasadena.
The link: The Rolling Stones with The Sheepdogs

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 21, 2019 18:39

Good scoop on the Pasadena opener, Liepger.

Haven't heard of them (not surprisingly), a Canadian rock band that sounds pretty good after a quick google search.

With this being the LA area opener, safe to say that we won't see any big name acts as openers on the tour. Not that they've done that in a while, but with ticket sales appearing to be going very well, the openers will likely all be bands of similar stature as this..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 21, 2019 20:02

Glendale for one appears not to be selling so well - standard priced Pits available for $442+ for example, along with many other sections with standard price tickets.
They'll have to get someone of a much higher stature than the Sheepdogs if they intend to come close to selling that one out

As for the Sheepdogs in Pasadena, hmmm...having looked briefly at a couple videos they sound ok but rather generic.
The show itself has sold quite well though, and the Stones could get away with having actual sheep dogs as openers...nobody will care one way or the other.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 21, 2019 21:29

Hairball
The show itself has sold quite well though, and the Stones could get away with having actual sheep dogs as openers...nobody will care one way or the other.

No one cared when the Chili Peppers and Buddy Guy opened at the Rose Bowl in 1994; not a knock against them, but they were dwarfed on a massive stage. It's funny to see the Sheepdogs described as a "classic rock" band ... that formed in 2006. Good luck to them; I see the drummer has cancer. I'll await official confirmation Re: Stones, but I see they are playing the Fonda 2 days before the Rose Bowl.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 21, 2019 23:22

I saw The Sheepdogs awhile back, they were really good.

Date: January 22, 2019 01:00

DeanGoodman
Hairball

No one cared when the Chili Peppers and Buddy Guy opened at the Rose Bowl in 1994; not a knock against them, but they were dwarfed on a massive stage. It's funny to see the Sheepdogs described as a "classic rock" band ... that formed in 2006. Good luck to them; I see the drummer has cancer. I'll await official confirmation Re: Stones, but I see they are playing the Fonda 2 days before the Rose Bowl.

I don't think a majority of Stones fans care who opens in most cases, though I've seen some great ones throughout the years including the Chili Peppers and Buddy Guy at the Rose Bowl. Will never forget the Pepper's playing Under the Bridge Downtown and the positive crowd reaction to it despite the massive stage - after all the "bridge downtown" was just a stones throw away. Their entire set was great, but then again I liked them alot at the time. I imagine some who were unfamiliar with them thought they sucked!

As for the Sheepdogs, sad to hear about the drummer - cancer sucks! Seeing as they're playing the Fonda a couple days earlier makes it sound more plausible, and with Dan saying above they were good live,
might be something to look forward to after all, but I won't be rushing through traffic and panicking in order to see them.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: January 22, 2019 18:39

Further to Hairball's comment, while it is nice to have a good opener, I do not think they sell a single extra ticket because of who the opener is. The prices are too expensive for that. Everyone that is there is there to see the Stones.

Date: January 22, 2019 19:16

keefmick
Further to Hairball's comment, while it is nice to have a good opener, I do not think they sell a single extra ticket because of who the opener is. The prices are too expensive for that. Everyone that is there is there to see the Stones.

In the case of the very poor selling Glendale Arizona show, if they were to get a big country star such as Chris Stapleton or someone of that stature, might sway a few folks who really want to see just him and would help sell at least a few more tickets. As was the case in San Francisco 2005 when Metallica was the opener. Many were there just to see Metallica, and I remember hearing a couple of young knuckleheads after the show shouting "Metallica blew away the Stones"!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 23, 2019 00:35

Hairball
keefmick

In the case of the very poor selling Glendale Arizona show, if they were to get a big country star such as Chris Stapleton or someone of that stature, might sway a few folks who really want to see just him and would help sell at least a few more tickets. As was the case in San Francisco 2005 when Metallica was the opener. Many were there just to see Metallica, and I remember hearing a couple of young knuckleheads after the show shouting "Metallica blew away the Stones"!!! smiling smiley

Our friend Dave Matthews definitely kick-started Seattle sales (and maybe also El Paso) during Bigger Bang.

Re: Sheepdogs. I see they are actually opening at the Fonda on May 9, for Rival Sons, who have a new record out. Might Rival Sons also show up at the Rose Bowl?

Date: January 23, 2019 00:54

Our friend Dave Matthews lol...give me the darn Sheepdogs any day!!!

*Rival Sons would be good. Not too familiar with them, but like some of what I've heard, and I think they're SoCal locals.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: January 23, 2019 18:57

To my friends local to Pasadena or LA--I am staying in a hotel in old town Pasadena. Is it walking distance to and/or from the Rose Bowl from the hotel? I went to a Rose Bowl game years ago and remember getting in and out by driving was just a horrible experience. Would much prefer to walk if that is doable. Thanks in advance for the intel.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: January 23, 2019 19:59

keefmick
To my friends local to Pasadena or LA--I am staying in a hotel in old town Pasadena. Is it walking distance to and/or from the Rose Bowl from the hotel? I went to a Rose Bowl game years ago and remember getting in and out by driving was just a horrible experience. Would much prefer to walk if that is doable. Thanks in advance for the intel.

From everything I've read, this is the best way to get in and out. It's only a 20-25 minute walk. I will be parking there as well.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 4, 2019 20:00

Well, here's a nifty local alternative for those who don't have tix yet for the Stones and are already catching other shows:

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 4, 2019 21:05

FrogSugar
Well, here's a nifty local alternative for those who don't have tix yet for the Stones and are already catching other shows:

Since the shows don't start until the 10th, maybe they could open in AZ on the 7th?????

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 4, 2019 21:33

BluzDude
Since the shows don't start until the 10th, maybe they could open in AZ on the 7th?????

That would be awesome thumbs up

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:26

keefmick

Not sure about the US but here in the UK some great openers were added a month or two before the shows last summer - general opinion was this was to shift tickets (and appeared to work - stadiums more or less full). Florence, Liam Gallagher, Ashcroft, Elbow, and my own personal favourite The Specials at the Coventry show. However, worth noting it was 'standard' price tickets (approx 60-180gbp for seats, 250gbp GC, c.500gbp pit) rather than the US 2019 prices that were shifting.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 5, 2019 05:31

yorkshirestone
keefmick

Not sure about the US but here in the UK some great openers were added a month or two before the shows last summer - general opinion was this was to shift tickets (and appeared to work - stadiums more or less full). Florence, Liam Gallagher, Ashcroft, Elbow, and my own personal favourite The Specials at the Coventry show. However, worth noting it was 'standard' price tickets (approx 60-180gbp for seats, 250gbp GC, c.500gbp pit) rather than the US 2019 prices that were shifting.

That wasn't an issue in Prague. The openers sucked.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 7, 2019 23:22

We're staying in LA 08.-12. of May. We'd like to a bit of sightseeing in LA/Hollywood, as we've never been there before. Earlier in this thread I saw Westwood mentioned as a place to stay but I'm a bit concerned about getting a Uber after the show in Pasadena to get back to Westwood...
What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Date: March 8, 2019 00:20

MonkeyMan2000
We're staying in LA 08.-12. of May. We'd like to a bit of sightseeing in LA/Hollywood, as we've never been there before. Earlier in this thread I saw Westwood mentioned as a place to stay but I'm a bit concerned about getting a Uber after the show in Pasadena to get back to Westwood...
What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Go to youtube, check out Mojo Travels ... How to spend 24 hours in Los Angeles, it will give you some good Ideas, for the time you will be here I would also visit Malibu. Hollywood is sort of a dump, I don't think anyone needs to spend more than a half a day there. To get the most out of your visit, you will need to rent a car, that being said, ubering from Pasadena to Westwood is doable (Pasadena itself is very nice).

...born and raised in the Los Angeles area ...

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: March 8, 2019 00:23

We are staying in Westwood and planning to drive to Rose Bowl.
Are they going to sell any parking lot tickets?

Date: March 8, 2019 00:28

dimrstone

There are places in Pasadena you can drive to and take a shuttle to the Rose Bowl, which is what I usually do when I go to an event there. I'm not sure if there will be advance parking sales. Sometimes there are Park N Rides in other parts of the city to Rose Bowl events.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 8, 2019 01:03

Okay thank you, BluzDude. So we will definitely rent a car for our time in LA. Would you also consider Westwood as the best area to stay?

Date: March 8, 2019 01:13

MonkeyMan2000
Okay thank you, BluzDude. So we will definitely rent a car for our time in LA. Would you also consider Westwood as the best area to stay?

20 years ago I would say yes, but it is very crowded. The intersection of Westwood Blvd and Wilshire Blvd is one of the most crowded intersections in the world, that being said, Westwood is very conveniently located for access to the coast, Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

Hairball, wish to chime in on this?

Date: March 8, 2019 01:45

BluzDude
MonkeyMan2000

20 years ago I would say yes, but it is very crowded. The intersection of Westwood Blvd and Wilshire Blvd is one of the most crowded intersections in the world, that being said, Westwood is very conveniently located for access to the coast, Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

Sure, why not...

It's pretty much crowded everywhere down in the L.A. area, and gets more crowded by the day - that's partially why I moved an hour north (apprx. 60 miles) to escape the rat race, and that was 30 years ago!
There's a reason it's crowded though, and that's because it's one of the greatest cities in the world, so I'm still conveniently close enough, but also comfortably far away enough...just a stones throw away!

But yeah, I suppose Westwood sounds pleasant enough, and it's conveniently located as you say.thumbs up

Date: March 8, 2019 02:03

Hairball
BluzDude
MonkeyMan2000

Sure, why not...

It's pretty much crowded everywhere down in the L.A. area, and gets more crowded by the day - that's partially why I moved an hour north (apprx. 60 miles) to escape the rat race, and that was 30 years ago!
There's a reason it's crowded though, and that's because it's one of the greatest cities in the world, so I'm still conveniently close enough, but also comfortably far away enough...just a stones throw away!

But yeah, I suppose Westwood sounds pleasant enough, and it's conveniently located as you say.thumbs up

I'd be your neighbor if only I could convince the wife we should move!grinning smiley

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: March 8, 2019 02:34

Thank you both BluzDude and Hairball!
These Park N Rides, where can we find them?

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: March 8, 2019 04:51

BluzDude
dimrstone

There are places in Pasadena you can drive to and take a shuttle to the Rose Bowl, which is what I usually do when I go to an event there. I'm not sure if there will be advance parking sales. Sometimes there are Park N Rides in other parts of the city to Rose Bowl events.

Taking a shuttle is what we are hoping to do. I want to call the Rose Bowl to find out locations and times. I had heard on here that the Junior College was one of the locations.

Date: March 8, 2019 05:45

BluzDude

I'd be your neighbor if only I could convince the wife we should move!grinning smiley

Bring her up here for the day, or better yet make it a weekend getaway - she'll be convinced!
If commuting is an issue, many commute back and forth (I used to commute to Cal State Northridge every day), though it can be pretty tough at times to put it mildly...ugh...

As for those asking about the shuttle, I emailed the Rose Bowl a couple of weeks ago, and this was their reply:

'Thank you for your inquiry. The Rose Bowl Stadium will activate a shuttle operation for the Rolling Stones concert.
The shuttle will leave from the Parsons Engineering Building in Old Town Pasadena and drop-off in Lot B at the stadium.
The shuttle will do the reverse route at the end of the show. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions'.

I used it for Arroyo Seco Weekend and it was the same meeting place - very convenient.
I walked to it from the Sheraton in Old Town, so not sure if there is a fee to park there. I should have asked, but chances are there might be - maybe somebody else knows?

As for staying in Westwood, yes nice enough and convenient as mentioned, and the price is probably right. That said, I have some friends who are coming in from Chicago next week, and chose to stay in Santa Monica (where I was born and raised). Prices can be a bit high, but they found a good deal. And if you have a rental car, it's not much further to Pasadena. Then again, you can stay in Westwood and drive to Santa Monica to see the beach, the pier, and everything else it has to offer...and the Venice boardwalk is just south.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: March 8, 2019 17:48

Hairball
BluzDude

Bring her up here for the day, or better yet make it a weekend getaway - she'll be convinced!
If commuting is an issue, many commute back and forth (I used to commute to Cal State Northridge every day), though it can be pretty tough at times to put it mildly...ugh...

As for those asking about the shuttle, I emailed the Rose Bowl a couple of weeks ago, and this was their reply:

'Thank you for your inquiry. The Rose Bowl Stadium will activate a shuttle operation for the Rolling Stones concert.
The shuttle will leave from the Parsons Engineering Building in Old Town Pasadena and drop-off in Lot B at the stadium.
The shuttle will do the reverse route at the end of the show. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions'.

I used it for Arroyo Seco Weekend and it was the same meeting place - very convenient.
I walked to it from the Sheraton in Old Town, so not sure if there is a fee to park there. I should have asked, but chances are there might be - maybe somebody else knows?

As for staying in Westwood, yes nice enough and convenient as mentioned, and the price is probably right. That said, I have some friends who are coming in from Chicago next week, and chose to stay in Santa Monica (where I was born and raised). Prices can be a bit high, but they found a good deal. And if you have a rental car, it's not much further to Pasadena. Then again, you can stay in Westwood and drive to Santa Monica to see the beach, the pier, and everything else it has to offer...and the Venice boardwalk is just south.

Is the parking lot the one at 100 W Walnut St? Looks like $10 fee for weekend parking.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: March 8, 2019 19:00

Why would you stay in Westwood?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home