Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Glendale AZ USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 16, 2019 18:57

Oh my, how times change. The local newspaper for the second time in the past 10 days or so is running a full page ad regarding tickets for sale for the Stones show in Glendale. For you youngsters out there, there was once a time when Stones tickets would be put on sale four or five months before the actual show and sold out within an hour of being put on sale. I still remember being in line at the box office of the now long gone Cap Center in Largo, Maryland, at 3 in the morning to buy tickets when they went on sale at 4 in the morning. You hoped there'd still be tickets available when you got up to the ticket window. Looking down the road, it just may be time for the boys to consider doing arena or theater tours.

Date: August 16, 2019 19:19

dmay
Oh my, how times change. The local newspaper for the second time in the past 10 days or so is running a full page ad regarding tickets for sale for the Stones show in Glendale. For you youngsters out there, there was once a time when Stones tickets would be put on sale four or five months before the actual show and sold out within an hour of being put on sale. I still remember being in line at the box office of the now long gone Cap Center in Largo, Maryland, at 3 in the morning to buy tickets when they went on sale at 4 in the morning. You hoped there'd still be tickets available when you got up to the ticket window. Looking down the road, it just may be time for the boys to consider doing arena or theater tours.

Look at the pictures from the stadiums on the stops so far smiling smiley

I don't think they need to consider other types of venues at all.

But the world changes, including how they pack the stadiums.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2019 19:20

Or if they continue stadiums, maybe they should avoid Glendale and Arizona altogether- the poorest selling show since day one.
Might bode well for those of us with Lucky Dips, but you never can tell.

On a different note, decided to fly out to Phoenix from Burbank the day after the Pasadena show on a cheap flight and rent a car while there.
Lots to see and do, and will make a day trip up to my old stomping grounds near Sedona.
Plus the fact that I have to be back on the Ventura coast the evening of the 27th (day after show), and the thought of making the long haul driving through the desert and all of the L.A. chaos, seemed a bit disturbing
As a bonus - after a bit of research I learned that Little Miss Piggie BBQ is very near the airport (and is the original location), so I know where my first stop will be! Thanks for the tip dmaysmiling smiley
And as a double bonus, I'll have that extra day in the area to possibly visit Honey Bear's BBQ as suggested by mab1888 - either that or one of the Burger joint or Mexican food restaurants that were mentioned earlier in thread.

Just about to hit the road north to Santa Clara via Highway 101- seems a fine day for a drive through the beautiful state of California!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 19:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: August 16, 2019 19:35

They typically do stop here on their tours. I would say they have a great showing here for the most part. That might explain why the floor seats are cheaper than most of the other stops. I expect nothing but a great show and performance.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2019 19:53

clapton71
They typically do stop here on their tours. I would say they have a great showing here for the most part. That might explain why the floor seats are cheaper than most of the other stops.
I expect nothing but a great show and performance.

thumbs up

Saw them during the Licks tour at America West Arena, and it was fantastic!

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: August 16, 2019 21:29

Hairball
clapton71
They typically do stop here on their tours. I would say they have a great showing here for the most part. That might explain why the floor seats are cheaper than most of the other stops.

thumbs up

See you in Santa Clara! Flying up tomorrow morning!

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 16, 2019 22:30

dmay

To be fair, the ticket prices may have impacted demand. Phoenix is traditionally a walk-up ticket market--meaning people wait until the last minute to buy tickets. Taylor Swift sales in the same stadium were very soft also until she started dropping prices.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 16, 2019 23:03

kv2915
dmay

To be fair, the ticket prices may have impacted demand. Phoenix is traditionally a walk-up ticket market--meaning people wait until the last minute to buy tickets. Taylor Swift sales in the same stadium were very soft also until she started dropping prices.

Very few people read newspaper print editions anymore. I'm not sure a full page ad would get that many people to buy tickets.

Date: August 17, 2019 00:08

Just a sprinkle of the floor seats are still available. I'm sure the seats will be filled.

Posted by: Benjiboy13 ()
Date: August 17, 2019 00:28

I'm 24 and have spent an exorbitant percentage of my lifetime income on seeing the Stones, but I am a die hard fan and will forever have "the fever" to see them while they are touring after getting to see them up close.Nothing like Keith Richards ripping into JJF a few feet away from you.

However, for most people in my age range, the cost to get anywhere near the stage (300/350 dollars +) is absolutely out of the question considering then you add $15 for every beer, etc. Most of my friends just don't make enough money to justify that, especially as casual fans who are into other modern acts as well. For that kind of money, you can pretty much get an entire weekend pass to most major music festivals such as Coachella, Outside Lands or Lollapalooza, where you can get close to the action and see hundreds of acts, have an entire weekend getaway experience and be with a lot of your friends. So while it's very impressive the Stones can sell out a lot of markets at those prices, it does price out a lot of younger fans typically like myself. However, I guarantee you if they charged a little less (Ac/dc charges no more than 180 or so, bruce same and even mccartney wasn't more than 250-300 for best seats) there is no question they could sell out any market. But that's the game they play and I understand why. You can always come down in price, but can't go up once you go on sale.

Although i will say, every time I hear someone I know say "i don't know them so I wouldn't be interested in seeing them" I can pretty much play at least 8-10 songs that they immediately recognize. I've been able to get a few friends into seeing them using that technique, lol!

The other thing is that a lot of the older, retired / higher income individuals that live in Phoenix are often gone for most if not all of the summer. It will still be 110+ degrees in a week and a half when the Stones play here (and on a Monday night, no less). So I have to think there are simply a high number of people that would have considered buying tickets that just aren't here for another month or so.

I went to the Minneapolis zip code tour date a few years ago and remember that was selling slow as well. But of course, they will give some seats away, etc and come show time it will be full. Hopefully they also drop more Lucky Dips---that seemed to be something they did a fair amount of last year in Europe (I remember getting in on the second round of those)--but hardly at all outside of maybe the NOLA show this tour.

Regardless, can't wait for that show and welcome to AZ for all incoming travelers! Pasadena will be my first show this tour so I get to see em twice.

Date: August 17, 2019 00:56

I made the mistake of not seeing Prince the last time he was in Phoenix and I still regret it to this day. I have seen the Stones 25 times and this is my swan tour. I'm lucky to take my daughter for her first experience. I agree that the younger crowd are not or cannot afford the prices. I can remember telling myself I can't believe they are charging $250 for floor seats 15 years ago. I wish those days were back. I'm gonna have a great time with my daughter and enjoy the 2 hours with the boys.

Date: August 17, 2019 05:57

The Stones were not here for Voodoo Lounge, 2012 or Zip Code. I think 2006 was the last visit.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: August 17, 2019 06:29

Yeah—they were last there in Nov of 2006, when they were the first band to play at the brand new stadium, formerly called the University of Phoenix Stadium. So, it’s been 13 years.

Date: August 17, 2019 07:42

I was glad to hear they were announcing it on the radio and giving away tickets, so they’re getting the word out. I feel like they’ll figure it out and fill up most of the seats.

Thanks for coming back to AZ, Mick and Keith and Charlie and Ronnie and families. Hope you enjoy your visit! The Music Museum, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Sahuaro Lake, Canyon Lake, the Meteor Crater, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Tombstone, Desert Museum, Sabino Canyon. Lots to do, but lots of driving. So, come back again when you have more time.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 18, 2019 04:06

Hairball
Or if they continue stadiums, maybe they should avoid Glendale and Arizona altogether- the poorest selling show since day one.
Might bode well for those of us with Lucky Dips, but you never can tell.

On a different note, decided to fly out to Phoenix from Burbank the day after the Pasadena show on a cheap flight and rent a car while there.
Lots to see and do, and will make a day trip up to my old stomping grounds near Sedona.
Plus the fact that I have to be back on the Ventura coast the evening of the 27th (day after show), and the thought of making the long haul driving through the desert and all of the L.A. chaos, seemed a bit disturbing
As a bonus - after a bit of research I learned that Little Miss Piggie BBQ is very near the airport (and is the original location), so I know where my first stop will be! Thanks for the tip dmaysmiling smiley
And as a double bonus, I'll have that extra day in the area to possibly visit Honey Bear's BBQ as suggested by mab1888 - either that or one of the Burger joint or Mexican food restaurants that were mentioned earlier in thread.

Just about to hit the road north to Santa Clara via Highway 101- seems a fine day for a drive through the beautiful state of California!

I’ll be flying from Boston into Phoenix Sat. and staying in Sedona Sun. Night.

Date: August 18, 2019 07:51

If y'all attending the Stones show here in AZ plan to do a load of driving, I would hope the Apache Trail becomes a part of your journey. Beautiful views as the road wanders through the mountains and a driving experience you'll not forget. It is not for the faint of heart nor those with a fear of heights, but what a ride. I also recommend taking the Beeline Highway (State road 87) north out of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and heading up to Rim Country. 87 takes you into Payson and from Payson you can take Route 260 into the back end of the Verde Valley which is winery country, leading toward Sedona and Jerome. I-17 will bring you south back into Phoenix.

For something off the beaten path, though housing developments are marching toward it, check out the Pork Shop in the Queen Creek (southeast of Phoenix) area. All things pork and a green chili pork burrito to die for. They have barbecue, bbq beans with charred pork ends and spices and lots of other pork (all locally sourced) product. If you have a means to cook it, the jalapeno or pepper bacons at this place are great.

Posted by: wuzznbuddy ()
Date: August 18, 2019 13:26

We’re heading over from the UK for this. Our second trip after the initial show was postponed. We were over for 11 days last time and did Sedona and the GC. We’re only over for five nights this time so won’t be going too far from Phoenix. We might hire a car for a day to do a drive so any recs for that would be welcome. I think other than that we’ll be in bars avoiding the heat!

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 18, 2019 21:03

Hairball
clapton71

thumbs up

One of my favorite shows! We drove over last minute and grabbed a couple tix. Not the best seats, but they were on fire. I seem to recall during Midnight Rambler, just as the band was slowing it down during the breakdown part, Mick started jumping around to get the band going again to do a whole extra round of jamming before the breakdown. (Or maybe I was just really high).

Enjoyed (Alice) Cooperstown before the show too. We plan on swinging by there the night before the Glendale show.

Date: August 18, 2019 22:36

Kennedy: FYI re swinging by Alice Cooperstown - it's now closed.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: August 20, 2019 07:17

Ok, so new to this thread. We are driving out from San Diego day of show. Found a reasonable hotel in Goodyear. Buying a parking pass at stadium. Parking opens at 4:30, am wondering how to beat heat while waiting to get into venue. Anyone have experience at this venue? Are there cooling areas? Maybe hang out at Westfield mall nearby?

Date: August 20, 2019 07:23

Forecast for mon—high 107, low 83 degrees F. No rain in sight.

Oh, I forgot to add, “But, it’s a dry heat.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-20 07:24 by Straycat13.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: August 20, 2019 07:46

Ok went ahead and got a ticket for the Band 2 show at the Musical Instrument Museum Theatre featuring Tim Ries, Bernard Fowler, Chuck Leavell, Daryl Jones, Cory Wong and Reggie Jackson...the MIM hall is a beautiful intimate theater (340 capacity) plus as I stated earlier, the MIM is hosting an exhibit on the history of the Electric Guitar...

show info [www.mim.org]

exhibit info [mim.org]

and if you're in town go to Carolina's...best red chile burritos you can get...

Posted by: mab1888 ()
Date: August 20, 2019 07:57

Hairball
clapton71

thumbs up

I was at that show too.....fantastic...smiling smiley

Date: August 20, 2019 08:00

kv2915
The Stones were not here for Voodoo Lounge, 2012 or Zip Code. I think 2006 was the last visit.

That's correct....it was also the first concert in the new stadium...smiling smiley

Alice Cooper opened for them...

Date: August 20, 2019 08:02

I advise everyone to make sure that that have a big bottle of water with them as the walk to the stadium.

Seriously, heat stroke is common this time of year. Also, dehydration.

Date: August 20, 2019 18:43

Full ad in Sunday's paper. Its on tv and KSLX is still giving away tix. Good luck.

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: August 20, 2019 19:15

2014Slayer, the Westgate shopping & entertainment district is right next to the stadium and contains many restaurants, shops, an outlet mall & the hockey arena. Go to westgateaz.com. Restaurants will be crowded, but there are a lot of them. There is a cinema complex, & also many hotels.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: August 20, 2019 20:10

dhinkle555
2014Slayer, the Westgate shopping & entertainment district is right next to the stadium and contains many restaurants, shops, an outlet mall & the hockey arena. Go to westgateaz.com. Restaurants will be crowded, but there are a lot of them. There is a cinema complex, & also many hotels.

Thanks for the tip! We are getting a parking pass for Green lots off 91st Ave, will pick up a current street map for west Phoenix too.

Date: August 21, 2019 05:20

107 isn’t bad for Monday...we broke a record here today at 114 or 115. Ouch.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: August 21, 2019 06:53

rovalle
Ok went ahead and got a ticket for the Band 2 show at the Musical Instrument Museum Theatre featuring Tim Ries, Bernard Fowler, Chuck Leavell, Daryl Jones, Cory Wong and Reggie Jackson...the MIM hall is a beautiful intimate theater (340 capacity) plus as I stated earlier, the MIM is hosting an exhibit on the history of the Electric Guitar...

show info [www.mim.org]

Thanks, bought two tics also.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home