Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:58

mtaylor

Why don't they put the cables in the underground like we have done here in Denmark, for example? The you would avoid all these bi-effects.

Various reasons across the country, mostly financial.. more costly to install, more costly to repair, don't last as long etc. New Orleans includes other major factors as well.. flooding, soil instability, etc. California alone is nine times larger than Denmark, and likely has as much underground cable. Anaheim has all of their wires underground for example. It's unfortunately not practical or cost effective for a lot of areas to retro-fit however.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:59

bv

SHOW IN NEW ORLEANS MOVED TO MONDAY JUNE 15 ...
BV, fix your page 1 post.
You meant July 15

Sure. Thanks for telling. I have fixed the spelling error.

Bjornulf

Date: July 13, 2019 20:09

Hairball
Just heard a few quotes on the news..."it's not about the wind, it's about the rain"....and "heaviest rain still to come"....and "Barry is now a hurricane"....

And with Barry moving across slower, that equates to larger amounts of rain.

Is it all being over-hyped? Are all locals laughing at/mocking Barry's strength and/or those that are being cautious "chickens"?

You can never under-estimate weather. I come from a country where the mountains, the sea and the weather take lives every year, even if we do take great care. You need to keep respect for the elements, and you have to remember the elements are way stronger than human beings and our infrastructures.

Bjornulf

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 13, 2019 20:54

GasLightStreet
My dad called me today, asked me how we were doing with the lake flooding everyone and all the rain we were getting. I said 'You're watching the national news, huh.' . . . This storm should be renamed Hysteria.

National media: You're panicking our family and friends over Hurricane Barry. Chill. [www.theadvocate.com]

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: July 13, 2019 21:20

Fan vote is up with Under my Thumb, Harlem Shuffle, Bitch and Live with Me.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 13, 2019 21:24

harlem shuffle

Date: July 13, 2019 21:42

Every time I vote they ask me to register. Is there a place to enter a vote if already registered?

My favorite song is Bitch but I voted for Live With Me. I voted for that in Foxborough too but Shes So Cold won. It looks like they keep rotating mostly the same songs.

Posted by: followyoudown ()
Date: July 13, 2019 21:47

Best wishes to everyone. Been reading since 1981 but have never posted. Was going to make a solo trip from Texas but the way it looks Baton Rouge and or Lafayette will be flooded. I really wanted to come. Was there in 78 and 81. Won't be too many more chances left. Thanks BV for fixing my account. Rock on

Posted by: Steve312 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 22:00

All flights in and out of MSY were cancelled for Saturday according to flight aware.

Posted by: Steve312 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 22:04

But that was old information. Sorry. They might have reopened

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2019 23:43

DeanGoodman
GasLightStreet
My dad called me today, asked me how we were doing with the lake flooding everyone and all the rain we were getting. I said 'You're watching the national news, huh.' . . . This storm should be renamed Hysteria.

National media: You're panicking our family and friends over Hurricane Barry. Chill. [www.theadvocate.com]

That is fantastic.

This overhyping needs to stop. There are people saying a lot of stupid shit on FB etc about NOTHING.

What gets me is, although the local news weather relies on the national weather service, there is some localness tied into these forecasts, which escapes a lot of people somehow - they will say "could" or "may". That, if anyone took a language class in school, means the obvious opposite is in effect but does not need to be stated because it's redundant.

But America is redundant. If someone says "I may or may not buy cheese" then what that truly says is they're not at the grocery store or intending to go.

ATM machine and all that.

With tropical storm systems, of which Barry amazingly skipped the Tropical Depression stage, which always astounds me, it's all bad bad bad and more, even though they're going by a kind of cookie cutter mentality.

I understand a part of that... but when things are obvious, like the dry air coming in from the NE quadrant of a system, and ignored... well, it makes me really want to get another dog, name it Shark, and take it to a beach.

Date: July 13, 2019 23:46

AJDuffer

Good grief, what a horrible choice.

Under My Thumb.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2019 00:07

bv
Hairball
Just heard a few quotes on the news..."it's not about the wind, it's about the rain"....and "heaviest rain still to come"....and "Barry is now a hurricane"....

Is it all being over-hyped? Are all locals laughing at/mocking Barry's strength and/or those that are being cautious "chickens"?

You can never under-estimate weather. I come from a country where the mountains, the sea and the weather take lives every year, even if we do take great care. You need to keep respect for the elements, and you have to remember the elements are way stronger than human beings and our infrastructures.

Yes Bjornulf, but some do as seen in this thread. Even if a story is overhyped, it's always better to be safe than sorry as things can change from one minute to the next.
We have flooding and wildfires on a regular basis here in SoCal, not to mention the occasional earthquakes (!), and I would never downplay any of it or belittle/mock anyone who is being cautious.
Having lived through dozens of earthquakes - some small and some giant - it's not something you can ever get used to. Wildfires and flooding are the same.
If there was a threat of any of those, even a small threat, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: July 14, 2019 00:09

Harlem Shuffle would never make any list that I wanted to hear until rehearsals at Soldier Field. Other versions sound dated, they made it sound awesome. I’d love to hear it in a show.

Date: July 14, 2019 00:10

AJDuffer

LIVE WITH ME

Though wouldn't mind hearing any of them! thumbs up

Date: July 14, 2019 00:18

Hairball
bv
Hairball

Yes Bjornulf, but some do as seen in this thread. Even if a story is overhyped, it's always better to be safe than sorry as things can change from one minute to the next.
We have flooding and wildfires on a regular basis here in SoCal, not to mention the occasional earthquakes (!), and I would never downplay any of it or belittle/mock anyone who is being cautious.
Having lived through dozens of earthquakes - some small and some giant - it's not something you can ever get used to. Wildfires and flooding are the same.
If there was a threat of any of those, even a small threat, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

It's no underestimation of the weather. The storm tide where I live is quite high, and it was expected. Meanwhile there's hardly been enough rain to get a car wet.

This over hyped 2 feet of rain to ruin lives and all the other horn tooting going on by people that believe everything they hear on news shows that know nothing... there's enough information to see why that hasn't happened and why it won't happen. That's not underestimating, that's just calling bullshit.

Of course it COULD rain 24 inches. In May of 1995 it rained 21 inches in 3 hours in New Orleans. A few years ago not far from where I live it rained something like 18 inches in 45 minutes. Weird shit happens in Louisiana - and the thing of that is, it's never expected or predicted.

There's an old mentality at work: scare people enough they'll watch. It seems that if enough people watch then enough money is made because of "ratings". Then they create boasts about "WE COVERED (ETC) BETTER THAN ANYONE" and so on.

That's not true. Ratings don't matter anymore.

There are enough people out there that will follow something on FB and Twitter and whatever and still have cable, for some reason, and watch TWC, for some insane reason, and then believe everything for some reason.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 14, 2019 00:45

No offense Gas, but we're kind of in (or close to) the hindsight is 20-20 phase of this thing.

Get that the worst of the scenarios didn't happen, as you forecasted, but that doesn't mean the real potential for worst case wasn't real. At the time the forecasters and media were "hyping" this thing, the possibility for disastrous effects were very real given the combination of factors.

Like any major weather event that could be catastrophic or have a major affect on residents, the media in general do tend to over hype. I didn't necessarily see that as the case this time, at least nationally. As the threat subsided, so did the hype from my vantage point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 00:47 by MisterDDDD.

Date: July 14, 2019 01:52

MisterDDDD
No offense Gas, but we're kind of in (or close to) the hindsight is 20-20 phase of this thing.

Get that the worst of the scenarios didn't happen, as you forecasted, but that doesn't mean the real potential for worst case wasn't real. At the time the forecasters and media were "hyping" this thing, the possibility for disastrous effects were very real given the combination of factors.

Like any major weather event that could be catastrophic or have a major affect on residents, the media in general do tend to over hype. I didn't necessarily see that as the case this time, at least nationally. As the threat subsided, so did the hype from my vantage point.

I read ya.

From a local perspective, it was one giant WTF!!!!???? and then having to hear about it from loads of people... watching their local news getting it from their feed as well as national news... which seems to rely on...

It's not much different than what happens here: we have a tendency to read what is said in (enter website from whatever source, serious or ridiculous, here) and then...

... we get what a respectful handful of people that know some things or some people that know some... and get the truth.

Unlike that bantering that goes back and forth with insides vs national/world wise sources about what the Stones are doing with the new album, storm coverage is a bit wonky.

I do work at allowing ie giving leeway the fact that this area, the northern Gulf Coast, can be weird, and it's generally a forward speed issue but there are some other things involved... and Barry has been the latter a bit more so than the former.

I supposed I may have a bit of a chip but I've lived in Louisiana since 1994 and have developed an understanding through experience, absorbing life and culture of the Gulf Coast, New Orleans, SE Louisiana and in general hurricane history, the whys and what fors, as well as the details of why what happened here, there and how, and recently the contacts I have online for details that seems to be some sort of secret even though... it's not, the people I know, what we talk about, locally and regionally in a historic aspect, and then family and friends from far away and the aspect of how bad it could be, which they tend to skip the COULD and go to CATASTROPHIC... based on one hurricane that didn't even hit here.

What we do know is how to listen (for those that do watch local TV) and read and through history of hurricanes etc know what to do.

It's a tiny bit different than say, oh, the Carolinas - they either get the shit slammed out of them or nothing. But... sometimes there's a grey area that can be a bit too fluid. No matter what, poor or stubborn, some people will not leave because of ABC or they simply will not leave.

I'm staying until a hurricane gets to a Category 3. Because from there on, 129mph winds on up, ehhhh, it gets a bit hazy in terms of what won't be damaged.

If there is a mentality that the worse it is the better for New Orleans in terms of hype, that's not true. New Orleans doesn't need any help, it does just fine by its self destructive lazy killing broken self. Preservation through neglect is what we say.

One day it won't work anymore. Until then... enjoy.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 14, 2019 02:21

2120Joe
Harlem Shuffle would never make any list that I wanted to hear until rehearsals at Soldier Field. Other versions sound dated, they made it sound awesome. I’d love to hear it in a show.

Yes agree completely. I was there with you. The version we heard was tight and full of energy. Obviously they had rehearsed it many times prior to the Soldier
Field rehearsal.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 14, 2019 02:51

Too bad we lost Fats Domino, it would have been nice to see him take the stage for a song with the Stones. "Blue Monday" would have been a treat.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 14, 2019 03:12

mtaylor
Hairball

Whatever the case, evidently the Stones and their management thought enough of it to postpone the show until Monday...

Stay safe everyone, even those hardened locals who think this is all a bunch of overhyped nonsense.

Meanwhile, I'll be staying tuned watching from sunny SoCal waiting for the next big earthquake to wipe the state off the face of the earth...

Just read that thousands of homes had lost their electricity.
I was in New Orleans in May and saw all these poles with electricity cables (have seen that in several other US cities).

Why don't they put the cables in the underground like we have done here in Denmark, for example? The you would avoid all these bi-effects.

USA is one of the richest countries in the world measured in GDP. Why can't they modernize their infrastructure being better prepared for these situations?

1) In memory of Mr. Glenn Campbell: [www.youtube.com]

2) [www.bloomberg.com]

Date: July 14, 2019 03:19

The tropical storm has now passed west of New Orleans, on it's way north over land. There is not so much rain in New Orleans, but quite a lot of wind. It will be raining for 24 hours. Hopefully show day monday will clear up a bit.

I trust the hurricane experts when they put up a warning. In 2005 Hurricane Katrina changed from category 3 to 5 in just nine hours, and more than 1,800 people lost their lives. I am not the kind of person who sleep in my bed when the fire alarm is ringing, even if it might, just might, be false alarm.

Bjornulf

Date: July 14, 2019 03:33

bv
The tropical storm has now passed west of New Orleans, on it's way north over land. There is not so much rain in New Orleans, but quite a lot of wind. It will be raining for 24 hours. Hopefully show day monday will clear up a bit.

I trust the hurricane experts when they put up a warning. In 2005 Hurricane Katrina changed from category 3 to 5 in just nine hours, and more than 1,800 people lost their lives. I am not the kind of person who sleep in my bed when the fire alarm is ringing, even if it might, just might, be false alarm.

Katrina's strength on the west side (New Orleans metro) was a category 1.

The storm should not've been a big deal. It was something else that made it a big deal.

Barry and several storms preceding Barry have all been nothing compared to Katrina, with exception to Isaac.

Hurricane warnings are specific. Usually.

Barry is now centered just west of Eunice, LA with weak winds an ambling north to oblivion. A ways away from the storm the winds are in the 20s. In the last hour the winds have died down A LOT at my house.

Tomorrow will most likely be clear, breezy, maybe the odd blast of rain, and a bit warm... and people will be wondering why there was such a big deal. It happens often.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 14, 2019 03:50

The Stones are usually good in a rain storm. Mick and Keith say they try harder. San Diego 1998 for example. The wind almost blew Charlie's whole kit away at the B stage. He was laughing. The Super Dome is enclosed but I'm sure they will play intensely after these days of suspense.

Date: July 14, 2019 03:54

chatoyancy
The Stones are usually good in a rain storm. Mick and Keith say they try harder. San Diego 1998 for example. The wind almost blew Charlie's whole kit away at the B stage. He was laughing. The Super Dome is enclosed but I'm sure they will play intensely after these days of suspense.

Ehhhh.... it depends on the perspective of what "suspense" is.

Date: July 14, 2019 04:07

It's not every day that something like this makes international news, so for some reason this storm might have had a different appearance/potential than most other storms in the area.
State of emergency declared, airlines cancelling flights, Stones postponing a concert, every news outlet covering it (mainstream or not)...something set this one apart from most.
And except for here on IORR, I didn't see one interview with a hardened local downplaying it as is usually the case. But in the end, all's well that ends well which seems to be the case this time.
Looking forward to following the show here online, and with any luck there will be some livestreams to enjoy. thumbs up

Meanwhile, a major power outage in New York... to everyone in the Big Apple, stay safe!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 04:08 by Hairball.

Date: July 14, 2019 04:19

Hairball
It's not every day that something like this makes international news, so for some reason this storm might have had a different appearance/potential than most other storms in the area.
State of emergency declared, airlines cancelling flights, Stones postponing a concert, every news outlet covering it (mainstream or not)...something set this one apart from most.
And except for here on IORR, I didn't see one interview with a hardened local downplaying it as is usually the case. But in the end, all's well that ends well which seems to be the case this time.
Looking forward to following the show here online, and with any luck there will be some livestreams to enjoy. thumbs up

Meanwhile, a major power outage in New York... to everyone in the Big Apple, stay safe!

Huh. Everyone I know around here is surprised by the bullshit hype Barry got. But most of us don't have cable or watch TV so... we just find things out online and READ things.

Date: July 14, 2019 04:31

Might have been interesting (and even enlightening) to see you or everyone you know on one of the news shows gaslight telling it like it is.
Be it wildfire or flood threats in California, or hurricanes, etc., there's usually at least one interview with a stubborn local who scoffs at the hype, but again I didn't read about or see any of that this time.

Date: July 14, 2019 05:11

Future advice:

Don't ever purchase tickets through Vivid unless it is strictly for yourself and you know you ARE going.

Just... don't.

Listed our 5 extra Stones tickets yesterday with Vivid. Got a notice TODAY that occasionally we need to "renew" the tickets - looked a few minutes ago, they're NOT THERE.

WTF.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 14, 2019 05:25

Hairball

Jennifer Lopez had a sold out show at MSG that had to be evacuated 20 minutes in.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home