Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28
Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 13, 2019 04:14

Hairball - couldn't they just play after the Miami date?? - where I'm going (anything weather-wise could happen as well)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2019 04:31

Chris Fountain
Hairball - couldn't they just play after the Miami date?? - where I'm going (anything weather-wise could happen as well)

If Barry wreaks more havoc and the show has to be postponed AGAIN, anything is possible.
Hate to think of a full on cancellation, so I won't....stay positive everyone!

Hoping this show doesn't get postponed again, or any of the future shows run in to any of these hurdles.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 04:32

I will make the 3 hour journey from Pensacola to New Orleans on Monday. It is almost 41 years to the day - that I first saw the Stones on the Some Girls' tour on July 13, 1978. Of course it won't be the same without Van Halen and the Doobie Brothers - but it will be a great show. I love the Stones and I'm very fortunate to see them for the 27th time this Monday.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2019 05:17

Chris Fountain
I just saw the Weather Underground Channel update on this hour the Storm has slowed to 6 miles an hour . the winds are the same at ~65 mph.

Not sure what would happen if the Storm keeps slowing down other than more potential flooding , which is the true evil sister of Wind Damage and wreaks havoc. Like folks have been saying Gulf water temps are high. The Storm force doesn't seem to be pulling energy from my area of Florida anymore. Maybe the storm stalls - what then? There seems to be no definitive answer at this point.

I just don't want folks to have to go to other states again and try to find shelter. Memories of Louisiana natives having to stay in Houston did not fare well during the aftermath of Katrina. It was strange if not sad.

In 2012, Hurricane Isaac wandered at the mouth of the river for 3 days. The fetch made the storm surge in Lake Pontchartrain higher than Katrina in some places and created a storm tide that was quite high. The storm was barely a hurricane, and the winds were a lot like Barry - just a gentle 24-45 mph breeze a ways away from the storm (when they say 'storm' they mean the center area, as in, technically Ivan didn't hit Florida, he hit Alabama, even though Florida got hit by Hurricane Ivan, they didn't technically get hit by Ivan).

That's enough to push water around, create a storm tide, not a surge, where the water slowly comes up and up and up.

What the forecasters etc were worried about was a dome of water going up the river. That looks like it's not going to happen. With what wind there has been, water has been piling up in the coastal parishes (counties).

If this predicted amount of rain happens, the one thing that may be a problem for some places is if the storm tide is high enough to not let areas drain.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 13, 2019 05:26

Hairball
If the date is changed again, it potentially could have an impact on the following show in Jacksonville scheduled for the 19th causing a domino effect. Might be a stretch to think that far ahead but at this point anything is possible.

The latest they could move the show to is Wednesday without affecting the schedule for Jacksonville. After that the options are to either postpone it until after Miami (September 4) or cancel it outright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 05:32 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 13, 2019 05:42

Shawn20
I will make the 3 hour journey from Pensacola to New Orleans on Monday. It is almost 41 years to the day - that I first saw the Stones on the Some Girls' tour on July 13, 1978. Of course it won't be the same without Van Halen and the Doobie Brothers - but it will be a great show. I love the Stones and I'm very fortunate to see them for the 27th time this Monday.

Shawn, I hope you get 25 songs.smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 13, 2019 06:10

For those stuck at hotels waiting for the concert- Don't look at it that way -

Read a book, Go to the Exercise room and walk /Run to nausea. Remember it is easy to get slack and party but don't get in a rut. It will make your day better. Go out and walk if you can - New Orleans is friendly and maybe play some blackjack- (basic strategy -of course).

I would recommend watching baseball- Strangely enough the sport seems so irrelevant. This will never happen with the love for College B-Ball, Football, and NFL

I say break shitty, "get up get out n to something new" and be happy!!

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 13, 2019 07:21

bv
The storm is now quite slow, moving WNW at 4 mph. The storm is not the problem, but all the water it is dumping on it's way, and at half speed, the rain i.e. flooding volum is getting double:

[www.cnn.com]

This is what NOLA.com is saying about it:

The dual threat in New Orleans: How high river, Tropical Storm Barry mix for dire potential

Winds will not be the main threat Barry brings. Instead, the broad, 150-mile-wide storm’s main impacts are expected to come from the massive rainfall totals it could bring across much of the state and the surge it will push into coastal areas.

“Don’t be fooled by what the wind speed is. Focus on that rain threat,” said Tim Oram, a meteorologist acting as decision support services coordinator for Barry at the National Hurricane Center.

Hey BV you stay safe, also everyone else. All the best.

Date: July 13, 2019 07:54

The high pressure that's centered right near Houston is what's blowing the top off, figuratively the top part of the North and South halves, and literally, keeping Barry from turning into a hurricane of a much worse scale possible.

It's getting harder and harder to believe that 20 some inches of rain is going to fall from this thing, but the convection is getting going and starting to get close to the coast. Barry has weak top outflow and an oblong center, which is apparently south of Lafayette.

My dad called me today, asked me how we were doing with the lake flooding everyone and all the rain we were getting. I said 'You're watching the national news, huh.'

I have my sources for finding things out a good bit ahead of time. However it happened, the media really took a dump with Barry because of how high the river is and the bit of rain New Orleans got a few days ago that magically has been connected to Barry even though Barry wasn't Barry yet yet alone anywhere near close enough. This storm should be renamed Hysteria.

Posted by: stonenut356 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 07:56

thumbs up

Posted by: stonenut356 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 07:58

GasLightStreet
Don't let the rain keep you in, BV! Many people just walk in the rain in New Orleans. It's the other kind of wet.
thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 13, 2019 13:13

i hope this doesn't wreak too much havoc on your travel itinerary, bv. hope you are doing ok.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 14:01

GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
ironbelly
As a man who was in New Orleans during Ivan and Katrina I would like to say to moaners and chickens - shame on you. This is just a tropical storm that, according to the latest predictions, will not even transform to a hurricane.

You are getting a lagniappe - a hurricane party. Grab your beer and dance on the streets winking smiley

I assume you don't live in the Lower 9th Ward....

Feel free to head on down there and give me a report about how the "Hurricane Party" is going down in that part of the city....unless you are "chicken" of course.

if "you were there" for Ivan and Katrina you should already know what these tropical storms mean for poor people in places like the Lower 9th Ward...it's no party and it never is....2000 people died in Katrina, thousands more lost EVERYTHING....my God.

Is this current storm the End of the World? Nope...but many people's lives will be ruined during your "Hurricane Party"...

try thinking about them for a minute.

Are you talking about the rain that hasn't happened? New Orleans floods often. There may be some flooding from rain bands... but it's not going to be anything like Katrina, it will just be normal. You're talking about 2 different things that aren't related. Of course there's possibility, Home Depot is sponsoring it. But there's no need to invent hysteria based on something from 2005 that isn't happening for something that hasn't and most likely won't happen.

You forgot the word "yet" at the end of your first sentence.

look...if it turns out NOT to be a storm, that is wonderful news all around.

I HOPE I am wrong and you are right. I hope there is not a drop of rain.

but, since when did caution and respect for nature in the face of evidence of a possible hurricane become a BAD thing (ie. "chicken")?

I'm also saying that making light of ANY storm that will ruin lives is lame..."grab a beer, it's a party!!"

I agree/know it won't be Katrina, but it will mess up a LOT of people's lives....especially the old, the sick and the poor....ie. the most vulnerable.

the French Quarter will be fine and will be a party. Rah, rah...it always is...this is the RICH area....So, sitting there, drinking and call everybody else "chicken" is quite pretentious.

I'm also saying that trying to out-guess nature and assuming the BEST in this situation is simply foolish.

a) There is a Tropical Storm w/ Lots of Rain in the Gulf near NO.

b) the MS River is already WELL above its normal height

c) New Orleans "floods often" (your words)

d) This storm could bring 2 feet of rain

given all of that...if people wish to take the "nothing to worry about" attitude, that's fine w/ me....just don't call those who exercise some caution "chickens" and try not to mock those who live in Flood Zones b/c they are poor by saying it is cause for a party, not concern.

The thing is, New Orleans floods several times a year, yet right now you're going on and on and on about a tropical storm that's barely holding together and making it sound like a national disaster, but when we get regular rain storms that flood the city... it's only now it matters?

There are a lot of could bes. We've seen this kind of thing a lot. I've got a lot of friends in New Orleans and they all have the same view on it - oh well, can't (whatever) or they go do whatever. It's part of living there. In 1998 I woke up to hearing waves under my bed. During Katrina the media was saying there was no way in and no way out, yet people were coming and going because there is a way in and a way out. Magically Kyle Turley showed up with a semi full of drinking water.

There's a lot of media involved hyping the shit out of these things. The joke of Jim Cantore showing up. National news showing a puddle with a guy in boots standing in it while in the background people are going about their lives.

When it's bad it's actually bad... and everyone knows it in New Orleans. Hurricane Isaac was bad. But it all comes with the territory.

Perhaps the question that should be asked, aside from the possibility of the river jumping and then no drinking water all the way up past Baton Rouge and the entire region depending on the river would have to evacuate is why do people still live there with the idea that the levees will work when it's been proven that they don't?

Is that a good mentality? If you live in certain areas, sure, it's no big deal in terms of the immediateness of it, but a majority of what is now New Orleans was built in swamps that should never've been built up. The Lower 9th Ward should not've been built period yet.... Hell, the entire region is river mud that got deposited on a sandbar.

So it goes.

Look, man...all I'm saying is:

a) Mocking people (ie. calling them "chicken") who exercise caution in the face of natural disasters, no matter how "over-hyped" they may be....is lame.

b) Having (or promoting) a "Hurricane Party" and celebrating w/ beer and dancing in the streets while people are having their lives ruined just a few miles away (in YOUR OWN city)...is lame.

I guess I just don't understand the "mocking" element of both of these types of posts/behaviors...not really sure of the point, nor what it tries to prove.

Question: would you take/send your kid on a School Field Trip to New Orleans w/ a Tropical Storm approaching the city? I sure wouldn't....I don't care how "overhyped" the storm is.

so, I'm not sure why I'd act any differently over a Stones concert (esp. if attending w/ my kid).

Whatever....I'm glad the Stones postponed b/c that gives fans the chance to get a full refund for their tickets....it allows fans to make "fair" choices regarding their own safety, money and the importance of the concert.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 13, 2019 14:48

stickyfingers101
Probably you missed my post on page 20. So here we go again with more details.

I used to live in New Orleans by UNO. Actually, at Robert E. Lee blvd. crossing Paris Ave. London Canal Levee Breach was less than 1/4 mile away from my house. You do not need to tell me about flood, you know. I had 5-6 foot of toxic gumbo in the house. All my vinyl collection (among other belongings) was donated to alligators. Hope they like it winking smiley

I was foreigner in the US, building career with the local University. So when Katrina came I lost everything but life, laptop, photo camera and a pair of underwear. No help, nothing from FEMA (or whatever was the name of that organization), because I was not citizen of the US. So what? I packed my a@@ and start all over from the scratch in Europe, from zero, no moaning.

I am just saying that lots of people are hysterical about some week tropical storm. Not even a hurricane that landfall 100 miles away.

Date: July 13, 2019 15:54

stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
ironbelly
As a man who was in New Orleans during Ivan and Katrina I would like to say to moaners and chickens - shame on you. This is just a tropical storm that, according to the latest predictions, will not even transform to a hurricane.

You are getting a lagniappe - a hurricane party. Grab your beer and dance on the streets winking smiley

I assume you don't live in the Lower 9th Ward....

Feel free to head on down there and give me a report about how the "Hurricane Party" is going down in that part of the city....unless you are "chicken" of course.

if "you were there" for Ivan and Katrina you should already know what these tropical storms mean for poor people in places like the Lower 9th Ward...it's no party and it never is....2000 people died in Katrina, thousands more lost EVERYTHING....my God.

Is this current storm the End of the World? Nope...but many people's lives will be ruined during your "Hurricane Party"...

try thinking about them for a minute.

Are you talking about the rain that hasn't happened? New Orleans floods often. There may be some flooding from rain bands... but it's not going to be anything like Katrina, it will just be normal. You're talking about 2 different things that aren't related. Of course there's possibility, Home Depot is sponsoring it. But there's no need to invent hysteria based on something from 2005 that isn't happening for something that hasn't and most likely won't happen.

You forgot the word "yet" at the end of your first sentence.

look...if it turns out NOT to be a storm, that is wonderful news all around.

I HOPE I am wrong and you are right. I hope there is not a drop of rain.

but, since when did caution and respect for nature in the face of evidence of a possible hurricane become a BAD thing (ie. "chicken")?

I'm also saying that making light of ANY storm that will ruin lives is lame..."grab a beer, it's a party!!"

I agree/know it won't be Katrina, but it will mess up a LOT of people's lives....especially the old, the sick and the poor....ie. the most vulnerable.

the French Quarter will be fine and will be a party. Rah, rah...it always is...this is the RICH area....So, sitting there, drinking and call everybody else "chicken" is quite pretentious.

I'm also saying that trying to out-guess nature and assuming the BEST in this situation is simply foolish.

a) There is a Tropical Storm w/ Lots of Rain in the Gulf near NO.

b) the MS River is already WELL above its normal height

c) New Orleans "floods often" (your words)

d) This storm could bring 2 feet of rain

given all of that...if people wish to take the "nothing to worry about" attitude, that's fine w/ me....just don't call those who exercise some caution "chickens" and try not to mock those who live in Flood Zones b/c they are poor by saying it is cause for a party, not concern.

The thing is, New Orleans floods several times a year, yet right now you're going on and on and on about a tropical storm that's barely holding together and making it sound like a national disaster, but when we get regular rain storms that flood the city... it's only now it matters?

There are a lot of could bes. We've seen this kind of thing a lot. I've got a lot of friends in New Orleans and they all have the same view on it - oh well, can't (whatever) or they go do whatever. It's part of living there. In 1998 I woke up to hearing waves under my bed. During Katrina the media was saying there was no way in and no way out, yet people were coming and going because there is a way in and a way out. Magically Kyle Turley showed up with a semi full of drinking water.

There's a lot of media involved hyping the shit out of these things. The joke of Jim Cantore showing up. National news showing a puddle with a guy in boots standing in it while in the background people are going about their lives.

When it's bad it's actually bad... and everyone knows it in New Orleans. Hurricane Isaac was bad. But it all comes with the territory.

Perhaps the question that should be asked, aside from the possibility of the river jumping and then no drinking water all the way up past Baton Rouge and the entire region depending on the river would have to evacuate is why do people still live there with the idea that the levees will work when it's been proven that they don't?

Is that a good mentality? If you live in certain areas, sure, it's no big deal in terms of the immediateness of it, but a majority of what is now New Orleans was built in swamps that should never've been built up. The Lower 9th Ward should not've been built period yet.... Hell, the entire region is river mud that got deposited on a sandbar.

So it goes.

Look, man...all I'm saying is:

a) Mocking people (ie. calling them "chicken") who exercise caution in the face of natural disasters, no matter how "over-hyped" they may be....is lame.

b) Having (or promoting) a "Hurricane Party" and celebrating w/ beer and dancing in the streets while people are having their lives ruined just a few miles away (in YOUR OWN city)...is lame.

I guess I just don't understand the "mocking" element of both of these types of posts/behaviors...not really sure of the point, nor what it tries to prove.

Question: would you take/send your kid on a School Field Trip to New Orleans w/ a Tropical Storm approaching the city? I sure wouldn't....I don't care how "overhyped" the storm is.

so, I'm not sure why I'd act any differently over a Stones concert (esp. if attending w/ my kid).

Whatever....I'm glad the Stones postponed b/c that gives fans the chance to get a full refund for their tickets....it allows fans to make "fair" choices regarding their own safety, money and the importance of the concert.

Because it's very simple: you're going by, apparently, a national news trip. This storm has been so over hyped it's ridiculous.

Right now it's raining along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, moving west from the FLA panhandle. The rain is starting to happen, because the goddamn "storm" is finally almost ashore. The rain in Mississippi is sliding west. There has been rain at my house but not the CATASTROPHIC PEOPLE ON THEIR ROOFS THEIR LIVES ARE RUINED rain like so many people are spewing out their ignorant asses.

The LIFE THREATENING STORM SURGE never happened - that's with hurricanes that are generally a 3 and above. The NHC has probably changed their wording for what a threat any storm surge is since the past 15 years it's not always matched up to the scale. So now a 2 foot storm surge is LIFE THREATENING.

Water is up in places where land is very low. As in 6 inches above sea level. A foot above sea level. You may see video and pics of these places - that's normal. But the media will tell you IT'S LIFE THREATENING.

As they say, don't believe the hype.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 16:51

Do not underestimate either the precautionary principle...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:09

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
In April 1993 I saw Paul McCartney in New Orleans. It was during Jazz Fest but they booked him at the Superdome. It's possible the Stones could be booked there as well. They occasionally book off site shows of major acts.

It's not possible! The Stones are not playing the Superdome.

I nominate GasLightStreet for quote of the year with this one.

See I told you so! It all worked out in the end.

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:12

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
In April 1993 I saw Paul McCartney in New Orleans. It was during Jazz Fest but they booked him at the Superdome. It's possible the Stones could be booked there as well. They occasionally book off site shows of major acts.

so far ...

Date: July 13, 2019 17:14

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

HA HA! Bizarre. I was CONVINCED they'd never play there again after losing about $2 million in 1994.

Date: July 13, 2019 17:15

powerage78

I don't. But when it's blown out of proportion by ignorant mouths that are headline readers, the world needs to be headbutted.

Date: July 13, 2019 17:21

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

HA HA! Bizarre. I was CONVINCED they'd never play there again after losing about $2 million in 1994.

Just teasing you a little, too bad we couldn't catch the show together down there. I've been thinking about slurping down some of those monster oysters and eating some of the other great food choices in New Orleans.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:40

Saturday morning July 13 9am New Orleans report:

So far there is some wind but not so much rain in New Orleans. This is because the storm was moving so slow the past 12 hours, just 4 mph i.e. 6 km/h, almost walking speed. Now the storm is making landfall during the day, and will pass by some 100 miles west of New Orleans, between Morgan City and Lafayette.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to 70 mph. If winds increase to 74 mph, Barry will become a category 1 hurricane.

Fans who are on travel into New Orleans should be safe, as long as they stay smart. The streets are empty, no cars, no people, because there may be flying objects, and because heavy rain may start any time, at a rate of two inches per hour.

As for The Rolling Stones: It was a good decition to move the show to Monday. Then they do hopefully keep clear of the worst weather, and as long as there is nothing seriously bad happening in the area, the show should be on.

NOLA.com report at 8:15 a.m. this morning:

National Hurricane Center Director Ken Graham on WAFB this morning:

"Just because it's not happening now (the rain) doesn't mean it's not going to happen."

Tropical Storm Barry heads for Louisiana: Live updates, photos, storm info

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 17:49 by bv.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:44

I know. I mentioned here the insurers, the local authorities and the promoter.

GasLightStreet
powerage78

I don't. But when it's blown out of proportion by ignorant mouths that are headline readers, the world needs to be headbutted.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 18:09

Been watching the French Quarter street cams past couple days and still have yet to see one Stones shirt lol. In Chicago I couldn't go two feet without seeing one.. I'll be there soon hopefully, t-shirt and all (tho I really want that Black & Gold one Ivan Neville was rocking)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 18:15 by snoopy2.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2019 18:14

Just heard a few quotes on the news..."it's not about the wind, it's about the rain"....and "heaviest rain still to come"....and "Barry is now a hurricane"....

And with Barry moving across slower, that equates to larger amounts of rain.

Is it all being over-hyped? Are all locals laughing at/mocking Barry's strength and/or those that are being cautious "chickens"?
Whatever the case, evidently the Stones and their management thought enough of it to postpone the show until Monday...

Stay safe everyone, even those hardened locals who think this is all a bunch of overhyped nonsense.

Meanwhile, I'll be staying tuned watching from sunny SoCal waiting for the next big earthquake to wipe the state off the face of the earth...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 18:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:17

Hairball
Just heard a few quotes on the news..."it's not about the wind, it's about the rain"....and "heaviest rain still to come"....and "Barry is now a hurricane"....

Is it all being over-hyped? Are all locals laughing at/mocking Barry's strength and/or those that are being cautious "chickens"?
Whatever the case, evidently the Stones and their management thought enough of it to postpone the show until Monday...

Stay safe everyone, even those hardened locals who think this is all a bunch of overhyped nonsense.

Meanwhile, I'll be staying tuned watching from sunny SoCal waiting for the next big earthquake to wipe the state off the face of the earth...

Just read that thousands of homes had lost their electricity.
I was in New Orleans in May and saw all these poles with electricity cables (have seen that in several other US cities).

Why don't they put the cables in the underground like we have done here in Denmark, for example? The you would avoid all these bi-effects.

USA is one of the richest countries in the world measured in GDP. Why can't they modernize their infrastructure being better prepared for these situations?

Date: July 13, 2019 19:30

mtaylor
Hairball

Just read that thousands of homes had lost their electricity.
I was in New Orleans in May and saw all these poles with electricity cables (have seen that in several other US cities).

Why don't they put the cables in the underground like we have done here in Denmark, for example? The you would avoid all these bi-effects.

USA is one of the richest countries in the world measured in GDP. Why can't they modernize their infrastructure being better prepared for these situations?

Because it's a big expense.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:42

I noticed CNN is reporting that one of the Levees, not reinforced after Katrina,
is “overtopping”.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:48

bv

SHOW IN NEW ORLEANS MOVED TO MONDAY JUNE 15 !!!

BV, fix your page 1 post.
You meant July 15

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:57

USA is one of the richest countries in the world measured in GDP. Why can't they modernize their infrastructure being better prepared for these situations?[/quote]

Denmark is richer than Louisiana, which is one of the poorer U.S. states. In the U.S., a lot of infrastructure is paid for by local and state taxes. The federal government does provide money, and after Katrina, lots of money, but generally there are cost benefit reasons to invest tax money elsewhere.
The U.S. does have an infrastructure problem, and major spending required. One of the problems is that development is less concentrated than in Europe and many people are living either in unsafe areas or out beyond the reach of cost-effective services.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home