Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28
Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:57

Here's a fun New Orleans-Stones story to keep you occupied during the storm.

[www.nola.com]

stay safe, everyone!

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:58

Oh God, everyone's so worried about growing old, how about growing up?

Stop looking for Daddy to make all your decisions for you -- it's not the Stones' responsibility to determine what you do with your life, it's yours. You have the information, you decide whether or not you want to risk it. Use that dormant organ between your ears and weigh the pros and cons -- even if the show comes off, what's the deal going to be on the roads, in the airports. Air traffic in NY can be screwed up because of a hurricane that doesn't come near JFK. Air traffic can be screwed up by two hours of fog or a goose with a bad sense of direction. Can you negotiate that? Is it a matter of your being in danger, or of you simply being frustrated and uncomfortable? Whatever. Of course the situation stinks. That's not debatable. But make your own decisions and stop whining. If you don't want to lose your hotel and airfare money, then cancel. If you want to risk it, then shut up. Or how about this -- if you want to fly and stay in a reserved hotel room instead of doing a road trip and staying at some roadside dump to catch some sleep, then GET TRAVELER'S INSURANCE.

Date: July 12, 2019 16:05

MainStreetExile

Stop looking for Daddy to make all your decisions for you -- it's not the Stones' responsibility to determine what you do with your life, it's yours. You have the information, you decide whether or not you want to risk it. Use that dormant organ between your ears and weigh the pros and cons -- even if the show comes off, what's the deal going to be on the roads, in the airports. Air traffic in NY can be screwed up because of a hurricane that doesn't come near JFK. Air traffic can be screwed up by two hours of fog or a goose with a bad sense of direction. Can you negotiate that? Is it a matter of your being in danger, or of you simply being frustrated and uncomfortable? Whatever. Of course the situation stinks. That's not debatable. But make your own decisions and stop whining. If you don't want to lose your hotel and airfare money, then cancel. If you want to risk it, then shut up. Or how about this -- if you want to fly and stay in a reserved hotel room instead of doing a road trip and staying at some roadside dump to catch some sleep, then GET TRAVELER'S INSURANCE.

Well said! I have a flight to NO scheduled for this afternoon and if it doesn’t get cancelled I’ll be on it.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 16:05

This might be the best show on the tour. I'd give anything to see the Stones in a half empty stadium with a massive stage setup. It will be very intimate. I feel sorry for all the armchair weather forecasters thinking they will die if they travel to NOLA to see the show. I believe one poster even said they wont be able to do Jacksonville as a alternative because it will be "too hot". Wow. I thought Stones fans were supposed to be tough. This thread has made me reconsider..

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 12, 2019 16:25

As a man who was in New Orleans during Ivan and Katrina I would like to say to moaners and chickens - shame on you. This is just a tropical storm that, according to the latest predictions, will not even transform to a hurricane.

You are getting a lagniappe - a hurricane party. Grab your beer and dance on the streets winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 12, 2019 16:40

artedm
from bv
All storms are dangerous, but it is still just mid July, katrina was late August, where warmer Gulf waters make hurricanes more dangerous.

for those saying reschedule- it could be a lot worse later.

GOM temps are in the mid 80s. It's always like that.

Date: July 12, 2019 16:45

Predictions change, as well as forecasts.

Barry is barely a storm. This thing has been overhyped. TWC sucks as usual - and I don't even watch that crap - I'm seeing things people are posting that show them talking about Hurricane Irma for Barry.

It won't be a hurricane. It never was. It has nothing on top. There are small rain bands moving around a bit inland but otherwise this is just another cool summer day.

Date: July 12, 2019 16:46

MainStreetExile

are ticket-holders (to the concert) being offered full refunds no-questions-asked at this point?

if not, then people are not being offered a reasonable/acceptable/fair set of choices....especially given the price of tickets...and given that this isn't a couple hours of fog...it's a hurricane.

FYI - Travellers Insurance is not nearly as simple as you make it. The airlines won't give you a refund just b/c you are scared of geese, fog or hurricanes...

Unless you bought a "Fully Refundable Plane Ticket" in advance, you are in for a fight...a fight you'll likely lose if the plane is flying...If the flight is ON, "Scared to Fly b/c of the Weather" isn't a reason covered by Traveller's Insurance, as far as my understanding.

I assume TM's "Ticket Insurance" is the same....if the show is ON, unless you can prove there was/is NO way to attend, you ain't getting a refund....and I imagine they will fight you every step of the way on that one.

even if your flight got cancelled, I'd bet TM "Insurance" will tell you they aren't responsible for the airlines (or the weather) and therefore aren't giving you a refund on your concert tickets...

I see (some) of your point, but I think you are simplifying way too much....and the whole "stop looking to Daddy" is, in my opinion, an unnecessarily rude way to talk to people who are looking at losing 1000s of dollars.

Posted by: Steve312 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 16:48

[news.trust.org]

It’s the flooding and storm surge that will be the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 16:50 by Steve312.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 16:51

WWOZ its currently playing a great version of Charlie Watts and some jazz orchestra playing You Can't always Get what you Want.. Haven't ever heard this, moves! .. You should be able to go back and play this shows setlist later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 16:55 by snoopy2.

Date: July 12, 2019 17:09

ironbelly
As a man who was in New Orleans during Ivan and Katrina I would like to say to moaners and chickens - shame on you. This is just a tropical storm that, according to the latest predictions, will not even transform to a hurricane.

You are getting a lagniappe - a hurricane party. Grab your beer and dance on the streets winking smiley

I assume you don't live in the Lower 9th Ward....

Feel free to head on down there and give me a report about how the "Hurricane Party" is going down in that part of the city....unless you are "chicken" of course.

if "you were there" for Ivan and Katrina you should already know what these tropical storms mean for poor people in places like the Lower 9th Ward...it's no party and it never is....2000 people died in Katrina, thousands more lost EVERYTHING....my God.

Is this current storm the End of the World? Nope...but many people's lives will be ruined during your "Hurricane Party"...

try thinking about them for a minute.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 12, 2019 17:13

Satellite (Live)

[icons.wxug.com]

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 17:17

Major flooding. Mississippi already high.
Next stop, Jacksonville.

Date: July 12, 2019 17:18

The origin of the term hurricane party comes from, if I recall correctly from one of the many books I have, the Florida Keys.

It has nothing to do with getting together with people (the biggest fake party of all time was the Richelieu apartments during Camille). It's the fact that back then, hurricanes showed up unannounced and had "a party".

Date: July 12, 2019 17:20

GasLightStreet
Predictions change, as well as forecasts.

Barry is barely a storm. This thing has been overhyped. TWC sucks as usual - and I don't even watch that crap - I'm seeing things people are posting that show them talking about Hurricane Irma for Barry.

It won't be a hurricane. It never was. It has nothing on top. There are small rain bands moving around a bit inland but otherwise this is just another cool summer day.

Go ask a first responder about people w/ this attitude...they have to rescue 100s of them EVERY SINGLE storm.....

Result? 10s of 1000s of dollars and many lives put as risk to rescue people who are too proud, too stubborn, too naive, too bull-headed, too overconfident (ie. too stupid) or too poor to move....

the last one (too poor) are the only ones I sympathize with...

In the end, I hope you are right.

But, as my grandmother always said: "You HOPE for the best, but you PLAN for the worst"

not the other way around.....

good old Grandma.

Date: July 12, 2019 17:22

stickyfingers101
ironbelly

Feel free to head on down there and give me a report about how the "Hurricane Party" is going down in that part of the city....unless you are "chicken" of course.

if "you were there" for Ivan and Katrina you should already know what these tropical storms mean for poor people in places like the Lower 9th Ward...it's no party and it never is....2000 people died in Katrina, thousands more lost EVERYTHING....my God.

Is this current storm the End of the World? Nope...but many people's lives will be ruined during your "Hurricane Party"...

Are you talking about the rain that hasn't happened? New Orleans floods often. There may be some flooding from rain bands... but it's not going to be anything like Katrina, it will just be normal. You're talking about 2 different things that aren't related. Of course there's possibility, Home Depot is sponsoring it. But there's no need to invent hysteria based on something from 2005 that isn't happening for something that hasn't and most likely won't happen.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 12, 2019 17:22

Tropical Storm Barry: Trump approves Louisiana state of emergency

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 12, 2019 17:45

GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
ironbelly

Are you talking about the rain that hasn't happened? New Orleans floods often. There may be some flooding from rain bands... but it's not going to be anything like Katrina, it will just be normal. You're talking about 2 different things that aren't related. Of course there's possibility, Home Depot is sponsoring it. But there's no need to invent hysteria based on something from 2005 that isn't happening for something that hasn't and most likely won't happen.

You forgot the word "yet" at the end of your first sentence.

look...if it turns out NOT to be a storm, that is wonderful news all around.

I HOPE I am wrong and you are right. I hope there is not a drop of rain.

but, since when did caution and respect for nature in the face of evidence of a possible hurricane become a BAD thing (ie. "chicken")?

I'm also saying that making light of ANY storm that will ruin lives is lame..."grab a beer, it's a party!!"

I agree/know it won't be Katrina, but it will mess up a LOT of people's lives....especially the old, the sick and the poor....ie. the most vulnerable.

the French Quarter will be fine and will be a party. Rah, rah...it always is...this is the RICH area....So, sitting there, drinking and call everybody else "chicken" is quite pretentious.

I'm also saying that trying to out-guess nature and assuming the BEST in this situation is simply foolish.

a) There is a Tropical Storm w/ Lots of Rain in the Gulf near NO.

b) the MS River is already WELL above its normal height

c) New Orleans "floods often" (your words)

d) This storm could bring 2 feet of rain

given all of that...if people wish to take the "nothing to worry about" attitude, that's fine w/ me....just don't call those who exercise some caution "chickens" and try not to mock those who live in Flood Zones b/c they are poor by saying it is cause for a party, not concern.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:04

Latest update Friday morning July 12 at 10am:

Hurricane Barry is slower and slighly weaker than expected. Expected landfall 100 miles or so west of New Orleans tomorrow i.e. Saturday morning. I would not worry about this storm as for the show, it's just a storm, not a really bad one.

The only problem is that New Orleans and the areas around here are seriously affected by flooding, and this kind of storms bring a lot of rain. I do really feel sorry for everyone who have their basements and ground floors damaged by the flood Wednesday morning, and now they are facing yet another flooding tomorrow unfortunately.

My hotel, Holiday Inn NOLA Downtown Superdome, who had to evacuate their ground floor restaurant Wednesday, after the flooding early morning, is back to "business as usual", serving breakfast at the ground floor level. Thunderstorms with rain were expected by 7am this morning, but they don't arrive until afternoon, may be 1pm or 2pm, according to weather.com, so I assume the hurricane is may be six hours later slowing down. Then a warning, when a hurricane is slowing down it is some times bumping east or west, a bit more unpredictable.

Todays NOLA front pages, and then there was an interesting drawing in today's paper:

Bjornulf

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:14

Just posted by the Stones' Facebook page:

UPDATE FROM NEW ORLEANS: Due to the weather we’re moving Sunday’s Superdome show to Monday. Hang onto your tickets, they will be honored on July 15. We’re here with you — we’ll get through this together.

[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 18:15 by Deltics.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:21

Yup - see also on Twitter.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:25

Stones just posted in Instagram...Show has been postponed til Monday. Hang onto your tickets.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:27

Worst possible outcome for anyone coming in from out of town with airline and hotel commitments.

Should of canceled early or not at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 18:29 by tonyc.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:28

Probably sensible as it may mean on balance that more people can now get there.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:28

stickyfingers101
I used to live by UNO. Actually, at R.E. Lee blvd. x Paris Ave. London Canal Levee Breach was less than 1/4 mile away from my house. You do not need to tell me about flood, you know. All my vinyl collection (among other belongings) was donated to alligators in August 2005. Hope they like it winking smiley

I am just saying that lots of people are hysterical about some week tropical storm. Not even a hurricane that landfall 100 miles away.

Posted by: Stilllife09 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:32

Concert is moved to Monday? Ok read again
.. Please ignore

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 18:34 by Stilllife09.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:33

It's impossible to get these calls right,

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:33

Maybe not a hurricane but lots and lots of rain predicted.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:37

Ugh. A big mess for those traveling.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:39

Can't believe it took so long to come to this decision. Still poses a challenge for travelling.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home