Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28
Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 12, 2019 04:20

The Rolling Stones arrived into New Orleans today Thursday afternoon. The show on Sunday is on. The Superdome is indoor. As long as there are no big issues in the infrastuctures and in general in New Orleans on Sunday, they will be on stage at the Superdome Sunday.

The predictions of the tropical storm are quite accurate at this moment, just 24 hours before it is making landfall. Hurricane Barry is expected to hit land some 100 miles west of New Orleans around midnight Friday, i.e. very late Friday, or early morning Saturday. Then the storm will dump 15 inches i.e. 400 mm of rain during these hours, mainly during Saturday. See the graph below, taken from the CNN site "Tracking Berry" at 8pm this evening.

I am not sure if the airport in New Orleans will be "business as usual" on Saturday, please check with your airliner they say in their own web site.

Important web sites to follow:

Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport

CNN Storm Tracker - Tracking Barry

NOLA.com latest news:

Tropical Storm Barry advisory: Tropical storm warnings for metro New Orleans and East Baton Rouge

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 04:29 by bv.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 12, 2019 04:25

tumbled
I hope everybody has a good time.. remember the dome was a haven in the time of katrina. safe!

Good lord.
Horrific story.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 04:41

ohmercy61
I vote. Who will stop the rain..

Rain Fall Down?

Rod

Date: July 12, 2019 04:45

The current tropical storm expected this week in the New Orleans to Baton Rouge area is expected to be a category 1 hurricane, named Berry. This is not to be compared to the much more dangerous Hurricane Katrina, back in 2005. Katrina reached its peak strength with winds of 175 mph (280 km/h), while Barry is expected to peak at 40 mph, i.e. 1/4 of the power of Katrina. All storms are dangerous, but it is still just mid July, katrina was late August, where warmer Gulf waters make hurricanes more dangerous. I will assume the flooding will be the biggest problem, as long as people stay smart and follow advices given by locals and authorities.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonesR1 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 04:50

So cancel the show and move on. Give the people time to cancel. Wtf

Date: July 12, 2019 04:59

It’s unconscionable and not reasonable to expect fans, or anyone, to travel to a high risk area, while there is potential danger or harm.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:00

stonesR1

Or keep the show as planned (for now anyways), but give the people an option to cancel w/refund if it's not already an option now.
Just in this thread, several have decided not to go...does anyone have the option to cancel and be refunded?

Come on Stones - do the right thing!

Date: July 12, 2019 05:03

Right on.... do the right thing

Date: July 12, 2019 05:07

NOLA.com:

Will Rolling Stones play Superdome Sunday? No change yet, but forecasts watched 'closely'

"Everyone is watching the weather forecasts very closely," Superdome general manager Alan Freeman said Thursday morning. "If there is a change of plans we will get the word out right away."

Meanwhile, the load-in and construction of the Stones' massive stage at the Superdome is already underway. Several days are needed to erect the stage and its towering video walls.

Because the Dome is enclosed, the Stones' road crew can build the stage in a rain-free environment and have it ready to go for the scheduled show time.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 05:09 by bv.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:22

If there is a show, all of the 5,000 in attendance will be close to the stage.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:25

I’ve been alternating WWOZ’s stream and the Stones Black and Blue album all day, I don’t know why but it just feels right, if there’s ever show I’d want to hear at least half the tracks off this album it would be this show smiling smiley

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:28

atip

Lol ... unless the stadium forces them to stay in their assigned seats.

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:31

Hairball
stonesR1

Or keep the show as planned (for now anyways), but give the people an option to cancel w/refund if it's not already an option now.
Just in this thread, several have decided not to go...does anyone have the option to cancel and be refunded?

I don't think the Stones can cancel the show. It's not their decision to make.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:36

atip

Lol I was thinking the same thing.. I finally splurge on pit & turns out that even the $69 seats are up front.. I wouldn’t mind tho, that would be a hell of a show

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 06:12

Just reschedule

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 12, 2019 06:14

campxray
Hairball
stonesR1

I don't think the Stones can cancel the show. It's not their decision to make.

If the Stones want to cancel this show it IS ultimately their decision to make. Of course there would first be a discussion with the local promoter, their management team and lawyers, etc. about the various options but at the end of the day it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 06:49 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 12, 2019 07:35

Reschedule it to early Sept. I dont want fans in a danger zone right as well as Stones, road crew, etc.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: July 12, 2019 07:54

bv
The current tropical storm expected this week in the New Orleans to Baton Rouge area is expected to be a category 1 hurricane, named Berry. This is not to be compared to the much more dangerous Hurricane Katrina, back in 2005. Katrina reached its peak strength with winds of 175 mph (280 km/h), while Barry is expected to peak at 40 mph, i.e. 1/4 of the power of Katrina. All storms are dangerous, but it is still just mid July, katrina was late August, where warmer Gulf waters make hurricanes more dangerous. I will assume the flooding will be the biggest problem, as long as people stay smart and follow advices given by locals and authorities.

If Barry becomes a hurricane, as currently predicted, it will have winds of at least 74 mph (it already is at 50 mph). However BV's 1/4 power of Katrina is still accurate, since power relates to velocity squared. Moreover, Barry is predicted to hit well west of New Orelans and perhaps more importantly to travel north at a rapid rate and be far away by Sunday evening.

There probably will be some flooding issues; rain might continue intermittently through Sunday night; and some travelling issues (including flight cancellations through Monday morning). But everyone should leave it to the experts to decide if the concert should take place; and to each attendee to decide if they will be safe travelling, if the concert is held. Everyone's situation is different.

The current forecast for New Orleans does not look that bad, in terms of those already near the event. Issues might be more serious for those travelling from farther away; and possibly in some local areas that could be affected by severe localized storms.

I think some of the comments here, saying it should be cancelled and implying it's unsafe, are ridiculous nonsense. If the situation changes and Barry becomes stronger than currently predicted and/or moves closer to New Orleans, then they might decide it needs to be cancelled. But based on the current forecast, if I was there, I'd be planning on attending. And I am planning on attending Miami - at the worst time of year at the height of hurricane season.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: July 12, 2019 08:54

from bv
All storms are dangerous, but it is still just mid July, katrina was late August, where warmer Gulf waters make hurricanes more dangerous.

for those saying reschedule- it could be a lot worse later.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: July 12, 2019 08:58

With overtopping unlikely, officials 'confident' New Orleans levees can handle Tropical Storm Barry

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 12, 2019 09:04

OK- time for one of Lems life lessons. If everyone likes you,you get a pass most of the time.
If everyone loves you,you get a pass all of the time.

I understand the fans worried that the band will play the show and it will be a disaster because maybe only 25000 show up in an 80,000 seat stadium.

Thing is- everyone loves The Rolling Stones.its an iconic band,we think of them as our guys but the public at large absolutely love the Stones.
The media love them, the fans love them -they get a pass.

Barring a major catastrophe here’s your headline-

“The Rolling Stones face down a hurricane and play to the die-hard fans who braved the weather to rock out with them,”
Nothing stops The Stones !

It doesn’t matter if the show probably wouldn’t have sold that well anyway,the headline is -“badass Stones face down hurricane,deliver a show for the ages”and of course the low turn out was because of the weather.

I remember calling aunt Millie and uncle Bill in S Florida during a cat 1 hurricane, worried sick about them.” Hon,we’re fine we call this ... a rainstorm”

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 14:09

artedm
With overtopping unlikely, officials 'confident' New Orleans levees can handle Tropical Storm Barry

[www.nola.com]

pretty sure they said that about Katrina.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 14:17

artedm
from bv
All storms are dangerous, but it is still just mid July, katrina was late August, where warmer Gulf waters make hurricanes more dangerous.

"could be" is the operative phrase here.

we know 100% there is a hurricane NOW and it WILL hit New Orleans.

obviously you deal w/ clear and present dangers FIRST.

if somebody is threatening you w/ a knife TODAY, you shouldn't worry if they MIGHT come back w/ a gun in a month or two....

Rescheduling is clearly the responsible and correct path here....if another hurricane shows up AGAIN then they can reschedule a 3rd Time....hurricanes are about the easiest thing to track in the world.

it is totally irresponsible not to cancel an event that will ask 1000s of people to travel directly into a the path of danger created by a natural disaster we KNOW is coming.

Posted by: gengiant90 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 14:46

This show should be cancelled. I have friends here in the East coast whose flights were cancelled because of the storm. What they suppose to do drive into this mess.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:05

gengiant90
This show should be cancelled. I have friends here in the East coast whose flights were cancelled because of the storm. What they suppose to do drive into this mess.

Even if the stadium and band are perfectly safe, there is a question mark over the safety of the audience making their way to the stadium. If the show does go ahead it will likely have a very local and reduced audience.

I think they should at least offer refunds to any ticketholder who now doesn't want to attend.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:06

lem motlow
Barring a major catastrophe here’s your headline-

“The Rolling Stones face down a hurricane and play to the die-hard fans who braved the weather to rock out with them,”
Nothing stops The Stones !

Right. Somebody wants to sing "I was born in a crossfire hurricane" (among other lyrics) in this context. And they're potentially playing dice with peoples' lives to do so.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:07

"Meanwhile," the guest appearance I thought might happen did not. Another shot in two weeks.

Date: July 12, 2019 15:20

This mornings info on he weather channel has it not being quite as bad.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:41

stickyfingers101
artedm
from bv

"could be" is the operative phrase here.

we know 100% there is a hurricane NOW and it WILL hit New Orleans.

obviously you deal w/ clear and present dangers FIRST.

if somebody is threatening you w/ a knife TODAY, you shouldn't worry if they MIGHT come back w/ a gun in a month or two....

Rescheduling is clearly the responsible and correct path here....if another hurricane shows up AGAIN then they can reschedule a 3rd Time....hurricanes are about the easiest thing to track in the world.

it is totally irresponsible not to cancel an event that will ask 1000s of people to travel directly into a the path of danger created by a natural disaster we KNOW is coming.

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:56

jumpontopofmebaby
This mornings info on he weather channel has it not being quite as bad.

All the best to everyone!
Just keep in mind that "the weather" is a guaranteed money maker for the news media...

They love their storms and their chaos and their dirty laundry.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1405
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home