Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 28
Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 10, 2019 22:58

Thanks BV,any news on the Stones crew and equipment,if they have arrived,where they may be etc? This is a tricky situation to say the least.
Appreciate your thoughts on the locals,they’re some tough people though,Cajuns.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: July 10, 2019 23:04

Thanks for update BV, I still plan on flying into NOLA Sunday morning for the show. Hoping this rain system just moves along and away. I could see this being postponed to after Miami, around Sept 5th. Dome is open and the football team play on the 9th, so plenty of time to vacate super dome and finish this tour in NOLA, could be a great USA send off to finish in New Orleans. Be safe and have a good one.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 10, 2019 23:07

I love New Orleans and have visited many times over the years. I was especially disturbed when Katrina hit one month after I had just had an excellent visit. So much amazing culture and cuisine. It must be no fun to be stuck in a hotel room in this great city, like Bjornulf is, hoping for things to clear by Sunday.

At some point the touring entourage will need to make a decision on coming to town . . . Friday or Saturday I guess.

Best wishes to all affected.

HBK

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: July 10, 2019 23:16

bv
The hotel "Aloft" a few blocks from where I stay got water into their reseption. I did a walk a few blocks at noon, it is not raining much now. Large buildings have signs on the doors saying "Branch closed due to weather". I guess people can't drive, get to work, traffic problems. Most cars stuck in streets have been towed now.

My hotel just gave me a paper on my door saying sorry for limited services. I don't need much room service anyway. Well this is just the preludium, the big worries arrive in two days, on Saturday. Meanwhile, there will be more thunderstorms.

I don't really worry so much about the shows. I worry more about the people who live here in the Golf Coast who are not safe living like me. I am on the 12th floor in a large hotel, quite safe. Those who live at street and water level are those we should be worried about now.

Thanks Bjornulf for updating us.. Our flight will be at Saturday morning from Boston... I am optimistic and hope all going well... And yes let's think about the people who live there...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 10, 2019 23:48

I assume the show is on unless there is a hurricane and it is coming right here. We will know a lot more by tomorrow, if, when and where and Hurricane Barry will be a reality. Meanwhile, I will read the weather reports often, we are quite good at that where I come from.

CNN has goot a valuable storm tracker. Infortunately New Orleans is right there in the predicted paths, where the hurricane might hit land some time Saturday afternoon:

[www.cnn.com]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-10 23:53 by bv.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: July 10, 2019 23:52

I live in Miami, otherwise known as hurricane central. It is 4 days until show date--way too early to bail out at this point. Lots can happen between now and then and certainly will. It could get way worse or way better. Impossible to say at this point. Things change very quickly. I plan on staying the course until much closer to show date.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 00:02

lem motlow
snoopy2
Spent past hour talking w friends, officials, hotels etc down there etc and based on those conversations I’m still all in. If the show goes on, I plan to be there smiling smiley

In general,what are the locals thinking snoop?

To be blunt they've all simply said: "Wait and see cuz no-one knows"

I certainly don't want to push others to go, and I have already received a couple emails based upon my posted thoughts here asking why I'd still go.. Everyone has different takes/experiences on things and I don't want to contribute to someone making a decision that's not mine to make.

However yes, my current plan is still to go -- Unless there is a cancellation of course smiling smiley

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 11, 2019 02:04

I did not read the whole thread BV so if you answered this I apologize but I guess you decided against Nashville or any other city during your week off?

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 11, 2019 02:08

I think the final decision will be the police. They will probably not want to devote resources to a concert at the Superdome if nearby people are still in distress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 02:09 by tonyc.

Date: July 11, 2019 02:58

tonyc
I did not read the whole thread BV so if you answered this I apologize but I guess you decided against Nashville or any other city during your week off?

I looked into all kinds of travel options from Boston to New Orleans, but in the end, Spirit Airways took me safe and sound on a direct flight to New Orleans. Great airliner actually.

Bjornulf

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 11, 2019 02:59

tonyc
I think the final decision will be the police. They will probably not want to devote resources to a concert at the Superdome if nearby people are still in distress.

Yep, not a good optic.

Date: July 11, 2019 03:20

I feel sorry for New Orleans. The papers, I do read them, are saying hotel rates have been low for a long time here, and I see there is a lot of unfinished business as for many blocks around the area around the Superdome.

This morning the city woke having a foot or so of rain downpour, cars stuck in streets, then rain stopped for a while 10am to 6pm. Daytime has been busy with sandbags, pumping water out of basement areas, most places are closed due to the weather coming in.

I stay at a hotel near the Superdome. They closed down their ground floor restaurant today, and do only run limited services at a higher level floors. The Hyatt Regency closed their restaurant. A few brave ones keep open, but many have a sign saying "Closed for the rest of the week due to the weather".

Locals living here in New Orleans might fill in on the subject, but as I walked back to my hotel 6pm today, and the rain just started again, with dark skies above, I wan't sure how this will turn out. Most of all, I feel sorry for troubled New Orleans.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 11, 2019 03:41

bv

Locals living here in New Orleans might fill in on the subject, but as I walked back to my hotel 6pm today, and the rain just started again, with dark skies above, I wan't sure how this will turn out. Most of all, I feel sorry for troubled New Orleans.

Spare a thought for the rag taggy people
Let's drink to the salt of the earth

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2019 04:33

The flooding in the streets has nothing to do with the disturbance in the GOM.

Projected path, so far, is for it to make landfall just below Morgan City, with not much time over the Gulf Stream Loop Eddy ( which blew Katrina and Rita up to category 5s). That's a ways away from New Orleans. There will be rain bands, a good bit of rain, but I can't see that for being a reason to cancel the show:

New Orleans is not getting (projected) Hurricane Barry.

The show should happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 04:41 by GasLightStreet.

Date: July 11, 2019 04:34

lem motlow
Thanks BV,any news on the Stones crew and equipment,if they have arrived,where they may be etc? This is a tricky situation to say the least.

New Orleans isn't Cajun. That's a misnomer. It's Creole. Cajuns are a bit west, where Barry will go.

Date: July 11, 2019 04:36

BV - this is the page to look at, it takes everything into accord.

On Facebook, Mike's Weather Page. Drunk Donkey.

[spaghettimodels.com]

Date: July 11, 2019 04:37

tonyc

You don't understand the NOPD. They're a joke. They'd be more interested in the Stones show than helping out citizens. That's just how it is.

Date: July 11, 2019 04:40

bv
I feel sorry for New Orleans. The papers, I do read them, are saying hotel rates have been low for a long time here, and I see there is a lot of unfinished business as for many blocks around the area around the Superdome.

This morning the city woke having a foot or so of rain downpour, cars stuck in streets, then rain stopped for a while 10am to 6pm. Daytime has been busy with sandbags, pumping water out of basement areas, most places are closed due to the weather coming in.

I stay at a hotel near the Superdome. They closed down their ground floor restaurant today, and do only run limited services at a higher level floors. The Hyatt Regency closed their restaurant. A few brave ones keep open, but many have a sign saying "Closed for the rest of the week due to the weather".

Sliver by the river. The Supe is where it's a bit low.

The French Quater is high and dry... unless the river goes over the levees, which are quite big there, with storm walls to close gaps.

The storm surge, at this point, will not go over (top or "overtop") the levees. But that could change with the course of the storm, which is projected to stay a bit South and head West, inundating New Orleans metro with a ton of rain.

Date: July 11, 2019 05:18

For some reason New Orleans businesses like bars and restuarants on ground floor levels are closed or with limited services now, until after Saturday. Many are clearly flooded, and they want to be prepared for more rain. I can see they are working with water pumps in basements and ground floors.

Still, I will assume the show on Sunday is on. I don't understand why the show would be cancelled, unnless there is a direct hit of a hurricane in New Orleans on Saturday of course. So far the predictions are landfall quite a bit west of New Orleans. No reason for beinmg pessimistic. Remembert Keith has got his rainstick still.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: July 11, 2019 05:44

No, you don't understand. Hurricane winds operate in clockwise direction, which means a storm to the West will drive rain to the East, over a large area that includes the terminus of the largest river in America, along which New Orleans sits. The forecast is for that river to reach historically high levels, approximately equal with levee barriers, prompting an already in-effect flash flood emergency.

I'm no meteorologist, but while it's certainly possible that the storm will change course/weaken or that any flooding will subside by Sunday, I think it's quite likely the show gets canceled/postponed, and that anyone in town would be well-advised to leave asap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 05:46 by SecondSet.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:11

No way in he$$$ am I going anywhere close to NOLA when a tropical storm is on the way flooding will be awful.

Date: July 11, 2019 06:15

GasLightStreet
lem motlow

New Orleans isn't Cajun. That's a misnomer. It's Creole. Cajuns are a bit west, where Barry will go.

Gas light, are you from the area or have people there?

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:15

When big oil pulls it workers off the rigs in the gulf and tells them to go home.whats that tell ya.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:19

GasLightStreet
lem motlow

This. It's only 30% non-hispanic white, for starters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 06:20 by SecondSet.

Date: July 11, 2019 06:45

SecondSet
GasLightStreet
lem motlow

This. It's only 30% non-hispanic white, for starters.

Let’s keep it simple then and say AMERICANS,and I pray that they’re safe from the storm.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 11, 2019 07:30

I assume the trucks have arrived at the venue and are busy setting the stage? The next day or two should bring some decisions. I’m not a expert, but if a “state of emergency” is declared then the show would be postponed? Anyway, the stones show is a minor concern compared to those residents whom have their homes and businesses in the potential path of this dangerous storm. Let’s not forget Katrina where some residents drowned in their attics! As I remember the disaster
occurred after the storm was over and the levees gave way - I’m sure some residents may be able to clarify.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: July 11, 2019 08:41

SecondSet
No, you don't understand. Hurricane winds operate in clockwise direction, which means a storm to the West will drive rain to the East, over a large area that includes the terminus of the largest river in America, along which New Orleans sits. The forecast is for that river to reach historically high levels, approximately equal with levee barriers, prompting an already in-effect flash flood emergency.

I'm no meteorologist, but while it's certainly possible that the storm will change course/weaken or that any flooding will subside by Sunday, I think it's quite likely the show gets canceled/postponed, and that anyone in town would be well-advised to leave asap.

Hurricane winds in the northern hemisphere rotate counterclockwise. The effect is the same there be more rain etc on the east side of the hurricane.

The rain that can come from the storm, the possibility of a storm surge from the wind, along with the fact that the Mississippi River is already running very high from all the rain in the midwest is what's causing the concern of the locals, they have been through this before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 08:48 by coloradocanyons.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 11, 2019 09:25

ohmercy61
When big oil pulls it workers off the rigs in the gulf and tells them to go home.whats that tell ya.

Exactly right. When we do it here in SE Asia, it's a big'un coming.

[www.rigzone.com]

A good site for news.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 11, 2019 11:44

bv
For some reason New Orleans businesses like bars and restuarants on ground floor levels are closed or with limited services now, until after Saturday. Many are clearly flooded, and they want to be prepared for more rain. I can see they are working with water pumps in basements and ground floors.

Still, I will assume the show on Sunday is on. I don't understand why the show would be cancelled, unnless there is a direct hit of a hurricane in New Orleans on Saturday of course. So far the predictions are landfall quite a bit west of New Orleans. No reason for beinmg pessimistic. Remembert Keith has got his rainstick still.

stay safe, bv. we'll hope a little inconvenience is all you have to deal with.

Date: July 11, 2019 15:31

SecondSet

Low pressure systems spin counter-clockwise. New Orleans will be on the eastern side, which means the rain is coming from the GOM.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home