Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 28
Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 8, 2018 22:43

The Sicilian
coloradocanyons
Lineup announcement has been delayed until January.

[www.facebook.com]

The Superdome may be in play yet. I don't think the Jazz Fest fairgrounds can handle a Stones show.

The Superdome was way too big the last time they came to town. Jazz Fest could easily handle 24,000 people to see the Stones.

Consider that cheap tickets for VOODOO LOUNGE in 1994 were $25 and there as hardly anyone in the Dome, Jazz Fest tickets are $65 in advance, $70 after a certain date, BEFORE fees, $80 at the gate but for May 2nd they'll be as low as $175 and as high as $200 BEFORE FEES, as of now, just because the Stones are playing - and some people won't want to see the Stones but see other acts.

They aren't gonna go.

The other acts don't get screwed out of any money - it's all guaranteed - but they sure will get screwed out of having people show up.

It's this very thing that has pissed off a lot of people that love going to Jazz Fest, the big acts coming in and screwing things up. It's sponsored by one of the biggest polluting oil companies in the world - and the ticket prices continue to go up.

Date: December 8, 2018 22:43

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
In April 1993 I saw Paul McCartney in New Orleans. It was during Jazz Fest but they booked him at the Superdome. It's possible the Stones could be booked there as well. They occasionally book off site shows of major acts.

It's not possible! The Stones are not playing the Superdome. They are playing at the Fairgrounds.

I suppose it really depends on demand. If there is a very high demand, they may move the venue for logistic concerns. Really, as you well know, both venues are only short drive apart. Weather is always a factor at that time of the year.

Stones still get paid if it's cancelled because of storms.

Date: December 8, 2018 22:45

Jazz Fest would lose a decent chunk of money if they were somehow "forced" to move the Stones to the Superdome - because they'd have to pay at least 3 days worth of rent, and that's a lot of money.

Date: December 8, 2018 22:48

The Sicilian
In April 1993 I saw Paul McCartney in New Orleans. It was during Jazz Fest but they booked him at the Superdome. It's possible the Stones could be booked there as well. They occasionally book off site shows of major acts.

That was part of his world tour, not Jazz Fest. A lot of tickets were given away since it sold poorly.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2018 02:11

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

That was part of his world tour, not Jazz Fest. A lot of tickets were given away since it sold poorly.

It was during Jazz Fest, so that counts.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: December 9, 2018 04:08

Could The Stones make the call on whether to play the fairgrounds or the Superdome?

Since the tickets for most of these shows seem to be moving well, wondered if they'd wanna go back to the Superdome?

The old figures from VL seem to be simply history, as they've shown in Indy and Buffalo in 2015, where bigger crowds returned...

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: December 9, 2018 07:30

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

No it doesn't. "They" was not Festival Productions which runs Jazz Fest on behalf of the Heritage Foundation. Name one show booked at Superdome during Jazz Fest booked by Festival Productions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-10 00:50 by coloradocanyons.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 9, 2018 21:44

There are all kinds of shows that go on during Jazzfest. But if it isn't at the Fairgrounds, it isn't part of Jazzfest.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 10, 2018 00:37

ab
There are all kinds of shows that go on during Jazzfest. But if it isn't at the Fairgrounds, it isn't part of Jazzfest.

This.

Otherwise any band who plays anywhere in N.O. DURING Jazz Fest could say they played Jazz Fest. But they didn't.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 10, 2018 01:25

Aquamarine
ab

This.

Otherwise any band who plays anywhere in N.O. DURING Jazz Fest could say they played Jazz Fest. But they didn't.

And with Jazz Fest all but announced, it will undoubtably be at the Fairground.
I'm betting with the rumored 50,000 ticket cap and other bands playing the day until they take the Main Stage at 5PM. It will be interesting to see what, if any, special guests might join them. Plenty to choose from...

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: December 10, 2018 02:09

MisterDDDD
Aquamarine
ab

This.

And with Jazz Fest all but announced, it will undoubtably be at the Fairground.
I'm betting with the rumored 50,000 ticket cap and other bands playing the day until they take the Main Stage at 5PM. It will be interesting to see what, if any, special guests might join them. Plenty to choose from...

^ Right?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 10, 2018 07:26

coloradocanyons
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

No it doesn't. "They" was not Festival Productions which runs Jazz Fest on behalf of the Heritage Foundation. Name one show booked at Superdome during Jazz Fest booked by Festival Productions.

Really, in the end who cares where they play. If I'm in New Orleans during Jazz Fest and they're playing at the festival, or in the Superdome, or on the roof of the Marriott it doesn't matter. As long as I enjoy the festival and a Stones show I won't be crying over who gets credit for the booking. Not one teardrop. For me if it happens anywhere in the vicinity of Jazz Fest that's how I'll remember it as happening.

Date: December 11, 2018 07:18

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

Nope. It coincided. His world tour did not include a show at Jazz Fest.

Date: December 11, 2018 07:20

The Sicilian
coloradocanyons
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

Really, in the end who cares where they play. If I'm in New Orleans during Jazz Fest and they're playing at the festival, or in the Superdome, or on the roof of the Marriott it doesn't matter. As long as I enjoy the festival and a Stones show I won't be crying over who gets credit for the booking. Not one teardrop. For me if it happens anywhere in the vicinity of Jazz Fest that's how I'll remember it as happening.

Because Jazz Fest is at the fairgrounds. Just because someone is on tour in New Orleans during Jazz Fest doesn't mean they're part of or playing at Jazz Fest.

Date: December 11, 2018 07:22

TKinOH
Could The Stones make the call on whether to play the fairgrounds or the Superdome?

Since the tickets for most of these shows seem to be moving well, wondered if they'd wanna go back to the Superdome?

The old figures from VL seem to be simply history, as they've shown in Indy and Buffalo in 2015, where bigger crowds returned...

No.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2018 07:29

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
coloradocanyons
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian

Because Jazz Fest is at the fairgrounds. Just because someone is on tour in New Orleans during Jazz Fest doesn't mean they're part of or playing at Jazz Fest.

Makes sense otherwise anybody could set up on a random corner near the fairgrounds and do some busking and then claim they played at Jazz Fest!

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: December 16, 2018 04:14

Any news on this from NOLA? e.g will they use existing VIP setups? Build a pit? total GA run for the rails? any rumours out there smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2018 21:45

PaintitBlue
Any news on this from NOLA? e.g will they use existing VIP setups? Build a pit? total GA run for the rails? any rumours out there smiling smiley

Nothing. Next year.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: December 17, 2018 02:00

PaintitBlue

Yes strong rumors on using existing VIP setups, although if catwalk is installed which is also a rumor then 2 pits for grand marshal possible, or maybe a tunnel underneath.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: December 20, 2018 10:58

[orpheumnola.com]

Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe has announced an upcoming tribute to Aretha Franklin at New Orleans, LA’s Orpheum Theater. The late-night show will take place on May 3rd, coinciding with the second weekend of The Crescent City’s Jazz Fest. The tribute is billed as R.E.S.P.E.K.T. (with “K.T.” representing Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe) – A Special Tribute To The Queen Of Soul, and will feature an assortment of special guests.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: December 20, 2018 15:53

Lien
[orpheumnola.com]

Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe has announced an upcoming tribute to Aretha Franklin at New Orleans, LA’s Orpheum Theater. The late-night show will take place on May 3rd, coinciding with the second weekend of The Crescent City’s Jazz Fest. The tribute is billed as R.E.S.P.E.K.T. (with “K.T.” representing Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe) – A Special Tribute To The Queen Of Soul, and will feature an assortment of special guests.

This has potential for some of the Stones to sit-in. hot smiley

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 20, 2018 18:11

spikenyc
Lien
[orpheumnola.com]

This has potential for some of the Stones to sit-in. hot smiley

Agree. Getting Mick, Keith or Ronnie wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. (Charlie would be a real long shot, though).

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 21, 2018 00:06

Grabbed a ticket for this in the 'just in case' scenario. Like $50 for Floor GA. Thanks to the OP for bringing it to everyone's attention!

Date: January 7, 2019 17:55

FYI - NOLA Crawfish Festival is happening for 3 days before May 2.
This is a great small local festival with great talent lineups.
They do it at Central City BBQ. They have an empty lot outside where they setup the stage. Its a locals favorite for the days between Jazzfest weekends.
Great music, Crawfish & BBQ, you cant go wrong!

[www.nolacrawfishfest.com]

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: January 8, 2019 09:43

Lien
[orpheumnola.com]

Does confirm that Karl will be in New Orleans that week, in the middle of the Stones tour...

Special guests more likely to be Tim, Darryl, Chuck and Bernard than anyone else

Date: January 8, 2019 15:14

Rumour Keith & X-Pensive Winos w/ Foundations of Funk (rhythm section of The Meters) will be playing at Fillmore during Jazzfest, but some are saying it's not happening. I personally wouldn't count on it, even though it would be great.

Date: January 8, 2019 17:47

Expensive Wino's or some form of them would be great and is a total possibility.
Im sure Ivan will get something together while Keef is in town.
hot smiley

Date: January 8, 2019 17:48

Interesting article posted here on the econmics and dynamics of JazzFest.
Some folks are not happy about the Stones playing there.

[donpaulwearerev.com]

Here is a counter-point to this article -

[www.offbeat.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 17:50 by spikenyc.

Date: January 8, 2019 18:13

Stones apparently took a $100k pay cut to play past curfew (7pm) this year at Jazzfest.

Just rumour from the same guy who says Keith is playing at Fillmore. Not sure how good his cred is.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 8, 2019 18:13

mosthigh
Rumour Keith & X-Pensive Winos w/ Foundations of Funk (rhythm section of The Meters) will be playing at Fillmore during Jazzfest, but some are saying it's not happening. I personally wouldn't count on it, even though it would be great.

Link to source of that info > [www.jazzfestforum.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home