Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 99
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter US Tour 2019
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 20, 2018 20:44

babyblue
Any Canadians going to Seattle show?

Yep, going down from Vancouver.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 20, 2018 20:45

GAFF
Chris Fountain
I just went to stub hub and Stones tix are already for sale for Miami starting at $1100 apiece for side stadium seats near stage.

It's BS. They are simply front loading tix they don't even have yet and trying to get the suckers who panic to take the bait. They are owned by TM so really it's TM trying to take advantage of people even more than they normally do.

Stubhub IS NOT owned by Ticketmaster. Get your facts straight. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of EBay.

In many cases people selling the seats are corporate partners or people who have season tickets/luxury suites at these venues and are permitted to buy. They have bought seat licences and get all events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-20 20:48 by daspyknows.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: November 20, 2018 20:50

daspyknows
GAFF
Chris Fountain
I just went to stub hub and Stones tix are already for sale for Miami starting at $1100 apiece for side stadium seats near stage.

It's BS. They are simply front loading tix they don't even have yet and trying to get the suckers who panic to take the bait. They are owned by TM so really it's TM trying to take advantage of people even more than they normally do.

Stubhub IS NOT owned by Ticketmaster. Get your facts straight. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of EBay.

In many cases people selling the seats are corporate partners or people who have season tickets/luxury suites at these venues and are permitted to buy. They have bought seat licences and get all events.

Calm your tits down. I already corrected myself in a previous post.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 20, 2018 20:51

Rose Bowl Pasadena announcement video:

[youtu.be]

Bjornulf

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:08

bv

[youtu.be]

How time flies...I doesn't seem like 25 years (1994 - 2019) since the Stones last played the Rose Bowl.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:11

bv

[youtu.be]

Good stuff!

I saw one on Levi's Stadium's site, maybe on their social media account...

Always something to see the way Stones' gigs are celebrated... before, during and after.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:11

Room booked at the Mondrian in West Hollywood for the Rose Bowl show. Going to make a long weekend out of this one.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:19

Any word on ticket prices?
BV can we start a thread for this?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:28

Paddy
I've never bought LD tickets directly, I've been lucky to meet kind folk from this site who had some on the day to spare, but I would like to go LD all the way this time. These tickets do not go onsale until the general sale is that correct? They are not available on the presale?

General Sale, yes.

Only available through the official Rolling Stones site link.
Pre-register for code that will be emailed.
[www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:30

Paddy
babyblue

Should be quite a few of us, even though it's midweek. When my friend & I went down for McCartney in Seattle in 2013, on a Friday, we crossed at a smaller border checkpoint (Aldergrove). When we told the guard what were going for, he said we were like the 100th vehicle crossing that day who were going to the show - and it was barely noon! Also Paul had just played in Vancouver about 7 months earlier, so I can't imagine how many Western Canadian Stones fans will show up after 12+ years.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:30

Keefy
BV can we start a thread for this?

Many many dollars. Hold on to your hats...

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:32

I got LD tickets for Vegas. But unfortunately that was show that was canceled.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:43

Keefy
Here are 5 words on ticket prices:

Obscenely expensive. Totally worth it.

I'll second the motion for a separate thread on 2018 ticket prices, but I really wish people would bother to read at least a few pages before they ask the same questions that are asked on every page and answered (when possible).

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:44

LD has been only so-so for me. Twice got nosebleeds, once got GA (Lucca, where probably 80-90% of all tix were GA), and once got decent side lower level (Vegas '16). I'm not willing to take nosebleeds, in fact tossed the second pair I got and bought pit tix instead. I simply don't enjoy the experience in really bad seats so tend to avoid LD now.

Date: November 20, 2018 21:50

MisterDDDD
Paddy
I've never bought LD tickets directly, I've been lucky to meet kind folk from this site who had some on the day to spare, but I would like to go LD all the way this time. These tickets do not go onsale until the general sale is that correct? They are not available on the presale?

General Sale, yes.

Only available through the official Rolling Stones site link.
Pre-register for code that will be emailed.
[www.rollingstones.com]

Thank you kind Sir!

Date: November 20, 2018 21:53

mosthigh
Paddy
babyblue

Should be quite a few of us, even though it's midweek. When my friend & I went down for McCartney in Seattle in 2013, on a Friday, we crossed at a smaller border checkpoint (Aldergrove). When we told the guard what were going for, he said we were like the 100th vehicle crossing that day who were going to the show - and it was barely noon! Also Paul had just played in Vancouver about 7 months earlier, so I can't imagine how many Western Canadian Stones fans will show up after 12+ years.

I was at both those shows also, BC place was better I think. Though the Seattle show had a mini Nirvana reunion....

Posted by: rara ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:56

JN99
LD has been only so-so for me. Twice got nosebleeds, once got GA (Lucca, where probably 80-90% of all tix were GA), and once got decent side lower level (Vegas '16). I'm not willing to take nosebleeds, in fact tossed the second pair I got and bought pit tix instead. I simply don't enjoy the experience in really bad seats so tend to avoid LD now.

same for me..

Date: November 20, 2018 22:15

MoreFastNumbers
I don't get why people think American stadiums are bigger concert venues than the European ones. Maybe the popular bird's eye view pictures during NFL games or the old '81 tour snapshots... Who knows?! But in fact the 2019 USA leg will be very similar to the European legs capacity-wise.

Let's take a look at some recent data of sold out concerts (U2 Joshua Tree Tour '17) with the same stage configurations in the exact same venues the Stones will play next year:

Hard Rock Stadium MIAMI, FL - 48,494
NRG Stadium HOUSTON, TX - 47,669
State Farm Stadium GLENDALE, AZ - 42,814
The Rose Bowl PASADENA, CA - 61,582
Levi’s Stadium SANTA CLARA, CA - 50,072
CenturyLink Field SEATTLE, WA - 57,009
FedExField WASHINGTON, DC - 49,827
Lincoln Financial Field PHILADELPHIA, PA - 56,570
Gillette Stadium FOXBOROUGH, MA - 55,231
MetLife Stadium EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - 55,321
Soldier Field CHICAGO, IL - 52,539

Average capacity (11 out of the 14 future Stones venues): 52,466

Modern football stadiums are built mainly for weekly sport events not for occasional concerts.

Higher average ticket prices in stronger markets what will make the difference regarding revenues. Not higher averege capacity.

I am 100% sure of the fact that stadiums in USA are way larger capacity than those found in Europe. I have spend days and weeks and years estimating capacity for Stones shows, it is a difficult task, but I am 100% sure there are many many larger stadiums in USA, including those The Rolling Stones will be performing at next spring/summer.

Just take a look at the following list, the world's largest stadiums:

List of stadiums by capacity

Of the top ten stadiums in the world 8 of 10 are in USA, all capacity more than 100,000 people, none of the top 10 stadiums are in Europe (the two others are in North Korea and Australia).

For the next ranked 11-20 in crowd size you find 5 out of 10 again from USA, all capacity more than 87,000, then the two largest in Europe show up : Camp Nou (never played by Stones) and Wembley stadium (new rebuilt stadium never played by Stones).

Typical stadiums for the Stones tour next year i.e. 2019, including the "smaller" Soldier Field and Gillette Stadium:

Venue / Sports capacity / Concert capacity (rs exact numbers)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Rose Bowl 94,000 / 65,000 (rs: 60,000)
Metlife stadium 80,242 / 65,000
Soldier Field 61,500 / 50,000 (rs: 52,000 - 55,000)
Gillette Stadium 66,000 / 55,000

Please note that concert configurations in US American Football stadiums do typically allow at least 80% of the sports capacity for concerts, some times more. Soldier Field Chicago takes 61,500 for football and 55,000 for Stones concerts (real exact numbers from past shows).

Numbers from The Rolling Stones shows in Europe 2018:

Venue / Sports capacity / Concert capacity
Olympiastadion, Berlin 74 475 / 67,295 (rs exact number)
St Mary's Stadium, Southampton 32,505 / 26,582 (rs exact number)
Ricoh Arena (stadium), Coventry 32,609 / 31,559 (rs exact number)
Mercedes-Benz Arena, Stuttgart 60,441 / 43,291 (rs exact number)

You will not find any venues during the 2019 USA tour with just 26,000 or 31,000 or even 43,000 people in the crowd, like we had in Europe this summmer. The smallest venue for the US 2019 tour is probably Jazz Fest, I don't know that one, or Gillette Stadium, which is "relatively small" in USA, still large as compared to European soccer stadiums.

A final note, in Europe you may use the rule of thumb taking away 25% to 30% of the sports capacity for concerts, then adding 10,000 or so for GA field standing, and you will getb the concert capacity for Stones shows. This will work for the stadiums mentioned above in Europe. However, american football has got wider, larger fields, as far as I know, soccer fields are smaller in size, and they may place chairs all over the large football field, for some reason chairs take up the same space as GA "people" space, due to fire and securioty regulations, this was something I learned in Shanghai, when the PIT was chairs only, and the capacity was exactly the same as at all other shows, where the PIT was always standing - I counted every chair in the pit in Shanghai...

Nothing wrong with large stadiums, they do allow for a great and large crowd, but except for Camp Neu Barcelona, and may be a few others like Maracana Rio de Janeiro, US football stadiums are among thelargest capacity in thde world, and I am sure they can accomodate at least 20% more people at the average Stones stadium show in USA 2019 as compared to Europe 2017/2018.

Bjornulf

Date: November 20, 2018 22:36

Ticket prices for the US Tour 2019:

I don't think we need a separate thread on this, just feel free to post your estimates here, but if you want to complain about prices in general, then feel free to use this thread:

The ticket prices and other complaints thread

I don't have any scientific research on ticket prices, but I have been to many Stones shows, and the most expensive market by far is USA. Personally I think it is unfair, but a Stones show is not a social experiment, it is all about supply and demand, and it seems as there are many people with a lot of money in USA.

I remember going to MSG Jan 1998. All of the floor was $300. I spend more money on my 3 floor tickets - $900 - than the rest of my travel including flight and accomodation in NYC. Since then I have been to MSG several times, and every time the $300 mark grew higher and higher up on the sides. If they had played MSG in 2019 I am sure the floor would have been priced $1,000 up, and the rest of the venue would have been $400 and up...

I do budgets and calculculations of all my shows anmdf travels. From memory, any English spoken area and country is expensive. The Ole Tour was cheap, Europe is always cheaper than USA ticket wise.

That is why I simply estimate at least 10% to 20% higher ticket price in USA 2019 vs Europe 2017/2018. Sure we could wish for a lot lower prices, but I think it is fair to have realistic expectations. They have to cover up for one show every four days. In the past it was on average one show in every three days. Then they added two more shows vs the fourteen standard, which helps in on getting prices a bit lower.

Lucky Dip tickets were $29.50 each at the Zip Code tour in 2015. I can't remember those other ticket prices, but I do believe the best tickets were quite high priced, while there were still a few reasonable priced tickets, even if they were not the best ones.

In short, I would still expect the average ticket in USA 2019 to be in the range of $200, which means there should be tickets both at $50 or so (Lucky Dip), around $100 and $150, hopefully, then probably sky high PIT tickets and front row seats at $500 and $800 and so on. The Rolling Stones have never been a cheap act, but this might be the last time, I don't know...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 22:40

FIFA (international) soccer fields are bigger than NFL fields. Length is similar, but the soccer fields are wider.

The point about stadium size should relate to concert capacity. Regarding this, there is no real difference between Europe and the US venues. The Stones will play 16 shows, sell around 800k tickets and generate $100M.

Their model is pretty simple; 16 shows, 50k per show, $150 average sold price/ticket. Works out to an average gross of over $7M/show. Some venues will be higher, some lower. See Zip Code tour.

The same math applies to arenas, you just multiply the ticket price to account for much smaller venues and you get the same ticket revenue.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: November 20, 2018 22:49

bv
The smallest venue for the US 2019 tour is probably Jazz Fest

Maybe. There is rumor that they will cap the attendance at 50,000. The all time reported single day was 160,000 2001 with the Dave Matthews Band (not everyone was at the main stage but still!). They stopped reporting single days after 2004. Elton John in 2015 was supposedly insanely packed and lots of complaints afterwords.

Date: November 20, 2018 23:05

I'm almost embarrassed to say I paid something around $600 per ticket (with fees?) for good seats on the field in San Diego 2015. We were to the right of the walkway so still a good 30 rows back from the stage. I fear the good seats on this tour are going to be $700-800 plus fees

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:07

Regarding prices, I think you need to work backwards.

Start with the number the band wants guaranteed. My guess is it's $100M.

So, the promoter has to sell $100M in tickets to 16 shows. That means you'll have VIP packages over $1000, the majority of the seats around $200, and lucky dip for $50/$75. As the show dates near, they use dynamic pricing and adjust the prices to demand. This is why someone will pay $300 for a seat and the person beside might pay $150.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:09

It'll definitely be interesting to see how they ticket Jazz Fest..
Ticket and crowd wise.. could be smallest or largest crowd of the tour (?)

I'm driving to Phoenix (Glendale) for the show there in part because of the venue size and the retractable roof aspect cool smiley. Staying away from Rose Bowl because of it's enormity and it's remoteness. That and the LA area really holds no charm unless you're heading to Disney or the beaches.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:10

TKinOH
bv

[youtu.be]

Good stuff!

I saw one on Levi's Stadium's site, maybe on their social media account...

Always something to see the way Stones' gigs are celebrated... before, during and after.

I've watched the Rose Bowl video four or five times since yesterday ramping up the excitement and anticipation, and it's already become a highlight of the tour for me!
Would be great to see them live right before the Stones hit the stage!

*I'm a sucker for cheesy promo bits, and this fits the bill perfectly. smiling smiley

Date: November 20, 2018 23:11

I just got this in by e-mail now re the Zip Code Tour 2015:

Rolling Stones' Zip Code Tour Raked In $109.7 Million

The tour wraps with $109.7 million grossed from 628,733 tickets sold at 14 concerts. I.e. average ticket price US $175. Zip Code was a secondary market tour.

So already in 2015 the Zip Code tour was higher priced per ticket (in the secondary markets) vs Europe 2017/2018 which averaged US $158 per ticket.

I would assume my estimate of average US 2019 prices at $200 should be a fair guess. Still, there should be tickets a lot cheaper, and a lot more expensive, of course.

[www.billboard.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: samMuc ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:14

bv
MoreFastNumbers
I don't get why people think American stadiums are bigger concert venues than the European ones. Maybe the popular bird's eye view pictures during NFL games or the old '81 tour snapshots... Who knows?! But in fact the 2019 USA leg will be very similar to the European legs capacity-wise.

Let's take a look at some recent data of sold out concerts (U2 Joshua Tree Tour '17) with the same stage configurations in the exact same venues the Stones will play next year:

Hard Rock Stadium MIAMI, FL - 48,494
NRG Stadium HOUSTON, TX - 47,669
State Farm Stadium GLENDALE, AZ - 42,814
The Rose Bowl PASADENA, CA - 61,582
Levi’s Stadium SANTA CLARA, CA - 50,072
CenturyLink Field SEATTLE, WA - 57,009
FedExField WASHINGTON, DC - 49,827
Lincoln Financial Field PHILADELPHIA, PA - 56,570
Gillette Stadium FOXBOROUGH, MA - 55,231
MetLife Stadium EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - 55,321
Soldier Field CHICAGO, IL - 52,539

Average capacity (11 out of the 14 future Stones venues): 52,466

Modern football stadiums are built mainly for weekly sport events not for occasional concerts.

Higher average ticket prices in stronger markets what will make the difference regarding revenues. Not higher averege capacity.

I am 100% sure of the fact that stadiums in USA are way larger capacity than those found in Europe. I have spend days and weeks and years estimating capacity for Stones shows, it is a difficult task, but I am 100% sure there are many many larger stadiums in USA, including those The Rolling Stones will be performing at next spring/summer.

Just take a look at the following list, the world's largest stadiums:

List of stadiums by capacity

Of the top ten stadiums in the world 8 of 10 are in USA, all capacity more than 100,000 people, none of the top 10 stadiums are in Europe (the two others are in North Korea and Australia).

For the next ranked 11-20 in crowd size you find 5 out of 10 again from USA, all capacity more than 87,000, then the two largest in Europe show up : Camp Nou (never played by Stones) and Wembley stadium (new rebuilt stadium never played by Stones).

Typical stadiums for the Stones tour next year i.e. 2019, including the "smaller" Soldier Field and Gillette Stadium:

Venue / Sports capacity / Concert capacity (rs exact numbers)
Rose Bowl 94,000 / 65,000 (rs: 60,000)
Metlife stadium 80,242 / 65,000
Soldier Field 61,500 / 50,000 (rs: 52,000 - 55,000)
Gillette Stadium 66,000 / 55,000

Please note that concert configurations in US American Football stadiums do typically allow at least 80% of the sports capacity for concerts, some times more. Soldier Field Chicago takes 61,500 for football and 55,000 for Stones concerts (real exact numbers from past shows).

Numbers from The Rolling Stones shows in Europe 2018:

Venue / Sports capacity / Concert capacity
Olympiastadion, Berlin 74 475 / 67,295 (rs exact number)
St Mary's Stadium, Southampton 32,505 / 26,582 (rs exact number)
Ricoh Arena (stadium), Coventry 32,609 / 31,559 (rs exact number)
Mercedes-Benz Arena, Stuttgart 60,441 / 43,291 (rs exact number)

You will not find any venues during the 2019 USA tour with just 26,000 or 31,000 or even 43,000 people in the crowd, like we had in Europe this summmer. The smallest venue for the US 2019 tour is probably Jazz Fest, I don't know that one, or Gillette Stadium, which is "relatively small" in USA, still large as compared to European soccer stadiums.

A final note, in Europe you may use the rule of thumb taking away 25% to 30% of the sports capacity for concerts, then adding 10,000 or so for GA field standing, and you will getb the concert capacity for Stones shows. This will work for the stadiums mentioned above in Europe. However, american football has got wider, larger fields, as far as I know, soccer fields are smaller in size, and they may place chairs all over the large football field, for some reason chairs take up the same space as GA "people" space, due to fire and securioty regulations, this was something I learned in Shanghai, when the PIT was chairs only, and the capacity was exactly the same as at all other shows, where the PIT was always standing - I counted every chair in the pit in Shanghai...

Nothing wrong with large stadiums, they do allow for a great and large crowd, but except for Camp Neu Barcelona, and may be a few others like Maracana Rio de Janeiro, US football stadiums are among thelargest capacity in thde world, and I am sure they can accomodate at least 20% more people at the average Stones stadium show in USA 2019 as compared to Europe 2017/2018.

Yes and no. While the seating capacity in the US is way larger the field is actually smaller. An American Football field is 109x49m while a typical soccer field is 105x68m. Means 5200qm vs 7100qm. Not taking the surroundings like coach benches into account, that's quite a difference. In a concert scenario those steep, packed, modern stadiums lose quite a few seats. For example Twickenham this year wich is a stadium with a capacity of 82.000 seats "only" had 55.000 people at the Stones concert. Also in europe combined Soccer/Athletics Stadiums are more common. Like Berlin, Munich, Barcelona, London Stadium wich were played by the Stones during the No filter Tour. Munich for example has a field size of 180x120m. Also let' s not forget those Mega Venues like Spielberg and Hamburg with 80 and 90.000 people. Basically what I want to say is, the US Tour will pretty much be on par with the 2017 European Leg in my Opinion. Also let me add that I'm an absolute stadium concert/stage design freak wich is why I'm so obsessed with these numbers. I even make 3D previsualisations of the seats I booked smiling smiley But this does not mean that my numbers are correct it 's just a rough estimation.

I wondered a bit about the completely new stage design for the US Leg. It somehow doesn' t make sense to me. Maybe they just mean the No Filter Stage as we know it and this message is directed to people who do not follow them as closely as we do ? Or they build a stage that is more open to the sides and back to get more people into a stadium, like the Greatful Dead did it in Chicago 2015. This of course would make this Leg a lot larger than the previous ones. Well but regarding the Greatful Dead Stage. Those were some nosebleed seats. Actually more like 2 hours punch in the face seats. Hopefully the Stones don' t go that way.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:19

The retail prices for the Zip Code Tour on TM ranged up to $400 + fees. For VIP, the Diamond VIP (first 5 rows), tickets with fees were $1,750 each.

Who's going to pay $1800 for a VIP pit ticket or for the first 5 rows from the end of the runway?

Date: November 20, 2018 23:23

Come to think of it, I did get SD tickets through one of those lame VIP package presales. I won't ever do that again.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:30

Gaetzi
I'm almost embarrassed to say I paid something around $600 per ticket (with fees?) for good seats on the field in San Diego 2015. We were to the right of the walkway so still a good 30 rows back from the stage. I fear the good seats on this tour are going to be $700-800 plus fees

Don't be embarrassed. You're not alone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 99

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home