Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 99
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter US Tour 2019
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 16, 2018 02:36

Aw, it’s a tough crowd at IORR. Don’t ask me travel advice, but don’t look here for warm and fuzzy travelogue tips either lol.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 16, 2018 02:41

DeanGoodman
DREAMTIME

The train from NYC to CHI is a nightmare! Be smart, Fly!

Yeah, don't take the train. Freight trains take priority on those tracks. Flying is a more efficient use of your time. This is not Europe (where the train experience is a bit over-rated, too, tbh).

Appreciate the tips and suggestions..

Likely going with the overnight bus option..
Doing the week in NY with the family, then they fly home, and in my haste to book a hotel early for Chicago, I missed a day on the speculative dates, leaving a night with no reservation. Leaving NYC at 11 pm and arriving like 9 AM in Chicago works out well, and saves me from tacking on a day while spending nearly a full extra day in the city.. Also avoiding a much hated trip to an airport, which is always my preference cool smiley
ARBYS it is cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 02:43 by MisterDDDD.

Date: December 16, 2018 04:21

I sincerely say Dean, Bjornulf, Dreamtime, I am terrible with names but many others
have been a fountain of knowledge about travel
I realize I am an odd duck who’d never really travelled until ‘No Filter’ tours,
But I would get anxiety reading the travel/ plan threads for each show.
Kind of like the ticket buying threads if you aren’t experienced, different opinions and advice can feel overwhelming maybe it’s just me.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 16, 2018 05:07

MisterDDDD
Leaving NYC at 11 pm and arriving like 9 AM in Chicago works out well,

Is that the bus driven by Lewis Hamilton? I see an Express Greyhound (presumably with Arby's breaks) that takes 17.5 hours for $48 $63+, 10:15 pm-2:45 pm. A car would take about 12 hours. And here I was getting anxious about the 6.5-hour Megabus from Houston to New Orleans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 05:10 by DeanGoodman.

Date: December 16, 2018 05:30

DeanGoodman
MisterDDDD
Leaving NYC at 11 pm and arriving like 9 AM in Chicago works out well,

Is that the bus driven by Lewis Hamilton? I see an Express Greyhound (presumably with Arby's breaks) that takes 17.5 hours for $48 $63+, 10:15 pm-2:45 pm. A car would take about 12 hours. And here I was getting anxious about the 6.5-hour Megabus from Houston to New Orleans.

My bad.. looking at too many schedules.. 2:45 yes.
smoking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 16, 2018 12:58

I do take the train if I can, for a number of reasons:

- You get from downtown to downtown
- No need for 3 hours travel time and airport security
- You may work on your PC, or relax with a great view
- Seats are large and you have space
- You may walk to the cafeteria any time for coffee, drinks or food
- Trains are more environment friendly than any other transportation

For the No Filter US 2019 tour I have been looking for train at some connections:

Landover - Philadelphia (that one should be easy just 3h or so)
Philadelphia - Boston (with a stopover before Boston)
Boston - East Rutherford (again with a stopover)

Pasadena to Santa Clara I wish I could have done by some public transportation because there is so much to see, may be Steinbeck areas,like Monterey or Salinas, but these are expensive areas so I will probably look for similar small places in the middle of nowhere, during the one week break.

May be flighs are cheap, but if you can help a bit on the climate changes issue then every little thought and action is adding up in the total picture. Cheap is not always best for the planet.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 13:01 by bv.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 16, 2018 19:28

mosthigh
DREAMTIME
DEmerson
Agree you probably would not want to train between NY and Chicago, but don’t write off trains all together in US. For instance, Amtrak along the Eastern corridor can be a very good way to get between, say DC, Philli and NY and Boston etc. It can be on the expensive side - best bet is to buy in advance to get discounts.

The Bus is a cheaper and more fun way to go with wifi and bathroom

'Fun' in a cramped, stop-every-20-minutes, loudmouth-drug-alcohol-crazed-weirdos kind of way - sure, whatever you say.

At least on the train you can get up and walk and go to the food/bar/lounge car, and have a bit more space & comfort. Not to mention less 'back-of-the-bus' types.

Not sure if you've ever taken Greyhound but I have and most definitely never will again. Rude, clueless drivers, aggressive, nasty customers who (at least in my experience) will insist you give up your window seat and take an aisle seat so that they can sit with their "child". The bathrooms often reek. Hope your experience is better. But don't take my word for it:[www.yelp.com]

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 17, 2018 01:42

In the US, buses are bad.
In the US, trains are bad but mostly better than buses.
In the US, Air travel is overpriced and also pretty bad.
Embarrassing for a first world country.

Took a train from Firenze to Roma in less than 90 minutes last week.
Clean, smooth, and fast, with wifi.

Took another a few days ago from Roma to Napoli, just over an hour. Also just as nice.

The only problem is Stones aren't playing theresmiling smiley

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: December 17, 2018 01:49

bv

Pasadena to Santa Clara I wish I could have done by some public transportation because there is so much to see, may be Steinbeck areas,like Monterey or Salinas, but these are expensive areas so I will probably look for similar small places in the middle of nowhere, during the one week break.

This train will get you from LA to San Jose. It also continues to Seattle.

[www.amtrak.com]

Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo are both nice towns on the route. Salinas not so much but if stop there and get to Monterey that would be worth a diversion. The aquarium in Monterey is considered the best in the world by many. If you like wine Paso Robles has lots of good wineries in the area.

As to weather both shows are a bit inland and will usually be nice weather, however the coast is subject to June gloom.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 17, 2018 01:51

coloradocanyons
bv

[www.amtrak.com]

Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo are both nice towns on the route. Salinas not so much but if stop there and get to Monterey that would be worth a diversion. The aquarium in Monterey is considered the best in the world by many. If you like wine Paso Robles has lots of good wineries in the area.

As to weather both shows are a bit inland and will usually be nice weather, however the coast is subject to June gloom.

[en.wikipedia.org]

That whole Pacific coast trip is supposed to be very beautiful by train. I've driven it but its not quite the same.

Date: December 17, 2018 02:15

MKjan

Took another a few days ago from Roma to Napoli, just over an hour. Also just as nice.

Fair. (*kinda cool smiley)

Only experienced or witnessed several "flash strikes", and one end of concert train fiasco (Twick)in the UK. Like a lottery to buy tickets at the right price. Coaches that were fine, but still had to travel on roads and highways that were, where I was anyway, less than impressive, showing me why car road trips are far less practical and rarely done there. And don't get me started on Heathrow.. Felt like I was stepping back in time (like the seventies) in terms of the airport, and the wait to get through customs was the worst I've experienced anywhere. But, yeah.. the Stones were playing there.. so all good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 02:16 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: December 17, 2018 02:49

bleedingman
mosthigh
DREAMTIME
DEmerson
Agree you probably would not want to train between NY and Chicago, but don’t write off trains all together in US. For instance, Amtrak along the Eastern corridor can be a very good way to get between, say DC, Philli and NY and Boston etc. It can be on the expensive side - best bet is to buy in advance to get discounts.

The Bus is a cheaper and more fun way to go with wifi and bathroom

'Fun' in a cramped, stop-every-20-minutes, loudmouth-drug-alcohol-crazed-weirdos kind of way - sure, whatever you say.

At least on the train you can get up and walk and go to the food/bar/lounge car, and have a bit more space & comfort. Not to mention less 'back-of-the-bus' types.

Not sure if you've ever taken Greyhound but I have and most definitely never will again. Rude, clueless drivers, aggressive, nasty customers who (at least in my experience) will insist you give up your window seat and take an aisle seat so that they can sit with their "child". The bathrooms often reek. Hope your experience is better. But don't take my word for it:[www.yelp.com]

I fly but you must not know about Megabus and Bolt Bus which run express buses with maybe 2 stops at most, usually just one to DC. It tends to attract young people and is not your old greyhound people. And it's a great bargain with WiFi.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 17, 2018 09:14

MisterDDDD
MKjan

Fair. (*kinda cool smiley)

Only experienced or witnessed several "flash strikes", and one end of concert train fiasco (Twick)in the UK. Like a lottery to buy tickets at the right price. Coaches that were fine, but still had to travel on roads and highways that were, where I was anyway, less than impressive, showing me why car road trips are far less practical and rarely done there. And don't get me started on Heathrow.. Felt like I was stepping back in time (like the seventies) in terms of the airport, and the wait to get through customs was the worst I've experienced anywhere. But, yeah.. the Stones were playing there.. so all good!

British rail = completely privatised.
'Trenitalia' = part of 'Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane' = c'y garded & guided by state government.

Both have their advantages & disadvantages; but I know what I'd choose.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 17, 2018 16:30

coloradocanyons

[www.amtrak.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks for advices on the train from LA to Seattle. I did actually take the train from LA to San Diego in 2015, Zip Code Tour, so it would be great to fill in the blanks with the same line going north, even if it takes 10h LA to San Jose and then another 24 h to Seattle. How often do you have the chance to do such a trip?

Is there only one train per day? If so then it seems like the train from San Jose is leaving at 8pm and a natural stop halfway would be 8am in Klamath Falls, OR.

About weather reports:

The Norwegian public weather report is a well kept secret, popular across the world because it is free, accurate, paid for by the state, and no ads. It is the most popular weather service in many other countries as well. Try it out, and search for any smaller city or place nearby where you live, nothing is beating it, because they are connected to the international network of meteorological and satellite services:

YR.no

Bjornulf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 16:35 by bv.

Date: December 17, 2018 18:44

bv
Thanks for advices on the train from LA to Seattle. I did actually take the train from LA to San Diego in 2015, Zip Code Tour, so it would be great to fill in the blanks with the same line going north, even if it takes 10h LA to San Jose and then another 24 h to Seattle. How often do you have the chance to do such a trip?

Is there only one train per day? If so then it seems like the train from San Jose is leaving at 8pm and a natural stop halfway would be 8am in Klamath Falls, OR.

The Coast Starlight train runs twice a day, I believe.

Great trip I've taken from SF to Seattle a couple times.. you can catch from downtown San Francisco, and they run you to the train on a "thruway" bus, included in fare.

A good stopping point to consider for a day, may be Portland depending on what you want to do. Easy to take an economical bus to Seattle from Portland to complete the trip or hop back on the train..
[www.amtrak.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 18:46 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: December 17, 2018 23:27

MisterDDDD
bv

One per day in each direction.

Date: December 18, 2018 00:15

coloradocanyons
MisterDDDD
bv

One per day in each direction.

See that now.. thought they added one for summer, but guess not.
Great scenic ride though..

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: December 18, 2018 07:20

bv
About weather reports:

The Norwegian public weather report is a well kept secret, popular across the world because it is free, accurate, paid for by the state, and no ads. It is the most popular weather service in many other countries as well. Try it out, and search for any smaller city or place nearby where you live, nothing is beating it, because they are connected to the international network of meteorological and satellite services:

YR.no

Very excellent weather source. Thanks

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 18, 2018 11:23

JadedFaded
bv
About weather reports:

YR.no

Very excellent weather source. Thanks

Yea but its not in English.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 18, 2018 11:30

Yes it is, babyblue. [www.yr.no]

You can toggle the language to English at the top right corner.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: December 18, 2018 17:41

MKjan

They have something called automobiles that most opt to use instead.

Date: December 18, 2018 18:20

StonedInTokyo
MKjan

They have something called automobiles that most opt to use instead.

It’s a salty group here, try this [www.usa.gov]

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 18, 2018 19:08

Topi
Yes it is, babyblue. [www.yr.no]

You can toggle the language to English at the top right corner.

Thank you Topi.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 18, 2018 19:20

BV -- if u go to Monterey which is only about 15 miles from Salinas, you should also go to nearby (3 or 4 miles) Carmel By The Sea with its famous white sand beach and unique, individualized homes in all kinds of architectural styled with no two homes quite the same. And in between Monterey and Carmel is Pebble Beach with its famous golf course (one of the greatest in the world) and the 17 Mile Drive with huge unique homes and some very pretty scenery where land and sea meet.

You could also rent a car and drive up Hiway 1 from Santa Barbara to Carmel and Monterey and eventually to San Francisco and the Bay Area where Santa Clara is located. The road is right on the water and two lane only but with just spectacular views of the Pacific. Slow going, but with that scenery, that is the way to go, and you have a week between shows. You will drive through Big Sur and can stop at Hearst Castle. The train goes inland and you will not see these beautiful ocean views. This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity, so grab it.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-18 19:24 by timbernardis.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 18, 2018 19:21

Is Tony Russell still Keith's assistant?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 18, 2018 19:24

clapton71
Is Tony Russell still Keith's assistant?

I believe so. Why?

plexi

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 18, 2018 19:26

Met him a few times on some tours and would like to see him again...

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 18, 2018 19:26

> You could also rent a car and drive up Hiway 1 from Santa Barbara to Carmel and Monterey and eventually to San Francisco and the Bay Area where Santa Clara is located. The road is right on the water and two lane only but with just spectacular views of the Pacific. Slow going, but with that scenery, that is the way to go, and you have a week between shows. You will drive through Big Sur and can stop at Hearst Castle. The train goes inland and you will not see these beautiful ocean views. This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity, so grab it.<

I couldn't recommend this more. Stop in Saint Luis Obispo. After you are done in Monterey you could spend the night in Half Moon Bay for a more reasonable price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-18 20:43 by Woz.

Date: December 18, 2018 20:22

Woz
> You could also rent a car and drive up Hiway 1 from Santa Barbara to Carmel and Monterey and eventually to San Francisco and the Bay Area where Santa Clara is located. The road is right on the water and two lane only but with just spectacular views of the Pacific. Slow going, but with that scenery, that is the way to go, and you have a week between shows. You will drive through Big Sur and can stop at Hearst Castle. The train goes inland and you will not see these beautiful ocean views. This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity, so grab it.<

I couldn't recommend this more. Stop in Saint Luis Obispo. After you are dome in Monterey you could spend the night in Half Moon Bay for a more reasonable price.
Last time I went to LA I travelled this way and then took Amtrak to Seattle from SF. Was a fantastic way to go!

Date: December 18, 2018 23:43

Woz

I couldn't recommend this more. Stop in Saint Luis Obispo. After you are done in Monterey you could spend the night in Half Moon Bay for a more reasonable price.

^^^this^^^ panoramic dynamic serene ocean coast - you will ‘see’ California thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 99

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home