Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Possible Inspiration for Too Much Blood
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 19, 2018 07:24

The other day "Too Nice To Talk To" by the English Beat came up on Spotify, and I as I was listening to it I was struck by how similar the production of this song is to "Too Much Blood""

I've read that for Jim Barber's Guitar part, Mick Jagger wanted him to sound like Andy Summers of the Police which I can hear.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mick also heard "Too Nice to Talk to" and got the idea for the overall sound for Too Much Blood from it. There are a lot of similarities in the rhythmic drumming, percussion and horns and it doesn't sound like anything else the Stones have done, before or since.

Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-19 07:26 by ryanpow.

Re: Possible Inspiration for Too Much Blood
Date: November 19, 2018 10:22

There is string dampening, percussion and horns, but this sounds a bit more like a funky attempt at new wave to my ears. Too Much Blood is more of a fullblood dance tune, which the synth drums kind of underlines.

The English Beat sounds more like Summers/The Police, imo. Barber's playing is a bit more subtle, going in and out of the soundscape.

Cool song, though thumbs up

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 20, 2018 08:01

In an interview back in the day it was said that Too Much Blood was not something that Mick or Keith brought in but was created spontaneously in a studio session.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 20, 2018 12:31

Wow, facts! Direct from the source. Nice work, Dandy!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 20, 2018 12:47

ryanpow
The other day "Too Nice To Talk To" by the English Beat came up on Spotify, and I as I was listening to it I was struck by how similar the production of this song is to "Too Much Blood""

I've read that for Jim Barber's Guitar part, Mick Jagger wanted him to sound like Andy Summers of the Police which I can hear.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mick also heard "Too Nice to Talk to" and got the idea for the overall sound for Too Much Blood from it. There are a lot of similarities in the rhythmic drumming, percussion and horns and it doesn't sound like anything else the Stones have done, before or since.

Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]

Good catch, the similarity is indeed noticeable.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2018 12:57

Too Much Blood …….. best Stones song for aerobics workout …..

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2018 13:14

Rockman
Too Much Blood …….. best Stones song for aerobics workout …..

Together with SMU. Let's Work and Mixed Emotions also deserve a mention smiling smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:09

One Hit To The Body is a good song for Cardio. It's Kind of Eye Of The Tiger-esque.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home