Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ticketmaster question
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 18, 2018 22:14

Bought Iron Maiden tickets a few days ago for Vancouver, having just got KISS and Bob Seger tickets recently. For Maiden, the only ticket delivery option available was via mobile phone. The concert is September 3 so it said the ticket will be available the day before. All others previously, had the choice of mailing a regular ticket or download/print your own ticket.
I've never had a ticket via my cell phone before and I thought what if a person doesn't own a cell phone? I guess this is a way to help prevent scalping. I wonder if this is the way things are going to be going forward?

Re: OT: Ticketmaster question
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 18, 2018 22:25

If you don't own a cell phone, I guess you aren't going to see Iron Maiden.

Simple, so the venue can keep track of who enters, where you are, what you do, etc.

This started small in a few select small market venues a few years ago then started rolling it out to more and more venues in the last year.

It does nothing to prevent scalping, online and in the short term though street scalping would be seriously curtailed.

AXS, you have to use their flash seats app.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 18, 2018 23:50

Found this on a website regarding e-tickets (sports related, but could apply to concerts):

What about those who don’t want to rely on smartphones (or are still using flip phones)? Teams are adding an asterisk to “mobile-only.” The Heat for example says, “If a fan does not have access to any kind of smartphone…They will need to bring a valid ID with the name on the account. We’ll accommodate all guests with a valid ticket of course.”

[www.umbel.com]

My advice would be to contact Ticketmaster in advance and work something out.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: November 18, 2018 23:57

for neil last summer he had mobile tickets, but mine was printed up at the box office. just check ahead with an e-mail to the venue (and print reply) and be triple prepared at the box office and you can bypass the mobile phone thing. just know that the box office guy will be an idiot.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 19, 2018 00:31

So, we are to be forced to acquire a smart phone or similar to attend a show? Do the bands/performers go along with this? It smacks of big brotherism to me - we know where you are and what you're doing.

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: November 19, 2018 04:03

It's the direction the ticket industry is moving.

For decades, artists and sports teams didn't charge enough for their tickets, so the secondary market captured all of the excess demand.

Now, bands and teams are a)charging more for tickets, essentially eliminating the scalper and b)making it much harder to re-sell tickets unless its done through the team.

Mobile also decreases ticket fraud.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2018 04:44

DGA35
Bought Iron Maiden tickets a few days ago for Vancouver, having just got KISS and Bob Seger tickets recently. For Maiden, the only ticket delivery option available was via mobile phone. The concert is September 3 so it said the ticket will be available the day before. All others previously, had the choice of mailing a regular ticket or download/print your own ticket.
I've never had a ticket via my cell phone before and I thought what if a person doesn't own a cell phone? I guess this is a way to help prevent scalping. I wonder if this is the way things are going to be going forward?

My U2 tickets were only available on my cell phone. I think it's a good idea. There was some trouble with it, which was weird, but it was fine.

Date: November 19, 2018 05:02

I scored an 8th row center ticket for the upcoming Thom Yorke show. It's on my friend's birthday, who is a huge Radiohead fan. My friend is going to be 59 or 60 and has never owned a cell phone (or computer, etc). I thought maybe I would have him meet me down there but not sure if I wanna just hand him my cell phone for a few hours. I will probably just sell the screenshot on Stubhub once they are released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-19 05:04 by Dan.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 19, 2018 13:21

Another FANtastic idea to shove/force feed the consumer . Which of course smacks of big brother and of course they are choices in life and of course I vote with my wallet .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-19 17:53 by TheGreek.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 19, 2018 13:39

As mentioned, the recent Neil tour had this as well. It was slightly annoying. I get the benefit of it, but I like having a physical ticket. In the end, with enough prodding, I got one from Ticketmaster but it took a few annoying phone calls. They were adamant that COULDN'T be done. I asked about people without a phone and they kinda just said "listen, there's an incredibly small amount that doesn't have this capability." Which is true, I just wanted the physical ticket. In the end, they mailed it to me, so it absolutely can be done if you want to be annoying about it. I did, but the mobile ticket would have been fine I guess.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 19, 2018 15:56

I like the paperless format...I'm NOT necessarily a fan of being forced to install the Ticketmaster app, but oh well.

Speaking of Iron Maiden...I idiotically ordered tickets for the wrong venue last week, and Maiden don't allow re-sales, so I'm stuck with them.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 19, 2018 18:46

I think there's a bit of a grace period for mistakes, I'd call tickemaster and see if they will cancel that order.

Date: November 19, 2018 18:53

keefriff99
I like the paperless format...I'm NOT necessarily a fan of being forced to install the Ticketmaster app, but oh well.

Speaking of Iron Maiden...I idiotically ordered tickets for the wrong venue last week, and Maiden don't allow re-sales, so I'm stuck with them.

Get a Stubhub account, you can list now and set the in hand date for when you will have them.

When you have the tickets in hand, take a screenshot of the QR, use a free converter such as Cute PDF to convert the PDF and upload it. Be sure to select the right format in the seller portal.

If the transfer feature is available, you can sell the tickets and transfer them thru Ticketmaster.

In my Ticketmaster app, my ticket says "send" but you never really know for sure until you complete the process and the invitation is sent to the recipient.

The great thing about putting the show on sale almost a year out is it gives them plenty of time to sell all their tickets which means the tickets might still hold value closer to showtime.

LA, New York, Oakland, Toronto, Montreal should all sell for close to face at the least.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 19, 2018 18:54

Yes, a possible refund, or they may even let you exchange them for the other venue, even though they might give you a hard time.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 19, 2018 19:02

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...I'll give those ideas a shot and see what happens.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 01:20

Have the Stones said if this is how they will distribute tickets?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 20, 2018 01:36

MUSIC NEWS
Taylor Swift’s “slow ticketing,” paperless entry at Red Rocks and face scanners among new concert trends to watch
By Dylan Owens, Special to The Denver Post May 20, 2018, 12:01 am

[theknow.denverpost.com]

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: November 20, 2018 01:43

I like a paper ticket because I have kept my ticket stub for every event I have attended since 1989.

Bridgestone Arena in Nashville was one of the first to go paperless but they would give you a printed stub once they scanned your phone so the usher could see your seat. However, they stopped that last year. I went to a hockey game and missed about five minutes of action because the group in front of me was in the wrong section and it took them that long to pull up their phone to show the usher.

The idea that paperless is helpful is totally ridiculous.

It is all about Ticketmaster saving ink and postage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home