Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
OT: Woodstock 50
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 15, 2019 19:41

Woodstock 50 Says Richard Branson Is On Board, Calls Open House Ahead Of Permit Vote

[www.pollstar.com]

Re: OT: Woodstock 50
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 15, 2019 20:52

bye bye johnny
Woodstock 50 Says Richard Branson Is On Board, Calls Open House Ahead Of Permit Vote

[www.pollstar.com]

To late the hero. If they don't get public support at the meeting tomorrow (which is unlikely) this festival is doomed. All this should have been done 6 months ago.

Re: OT: Woodstock 2019
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 15, 2019 20:53

Maybe Branson himself can purchase a massive plot of land to hold the festival - evidently he's a billionaire four times over.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 15, 2019 21:20

Branson will step in and hold the festival. It will be in a Virgin Spaceship that will orbit around the earth to send a message if Peace and love. While there will be only 6 attendees plus the booked artists on board, the event will be broadcast earthwide.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 16, 2019 03:24

MAPLEWOODSTOCK, NJ 2019
[www.youtube.com]

TURKUAZ
Headliners Turkuaz, a Brooklyn-based funk band, closing the Maplewoodsock Festival in Maplewood, NJ (close to home) last night: 7-14-2019

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 16, 2019 09:08

TornAndFried
Kurt
At this point, why doesn't Michael Lang just have a picnic in his backyard and call it good?

He still has 5 months to organize an Altamont 50 if he gets started now.

HaHa - Yes he better jump right on it. Hope he includes a hefty beer budget for
The Hells Angels.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 16, 2019 09:53

There will be a public hearing today in the town of Vernon, NY to allow local residents to voice their opinions about whether or not they should hold this festival at Vernon Downs racetrack in August. With less than 30 days to go before the planned start this seems like a desperate move on the part of the organizers.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 16, 2019 14:54

Other than Michael Lang, Is there really anyone anywhere who still wants this to happen?

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:47

tatters
Other than Michael Lang, Is there really anyone anywhere who still wants this to happen?

I really don't think so.....

Date: July 16, 2019 19:06

Woz
tatters

I really don't think so.....

Maybe Wavy Gravy....

Or maybe not.

Date: July 16, 2019 19:09

Woodstock 50's Michael Lang: 'If it doesn't work this year, it doesn't work this year'

Woodstock 50's Greg Peck, left, and Michael Lang. (Photo: John W. Barry/Poughkeepsie Journal)

[www.poughkeepsiejournal.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 16, 2019 19:20

It sucks, cause I actually just saw the original Woodstock movie this past weekend. They showed it in a theater in New York and it was so good. I hadn't seen it in full in a very long time (it was the Director's Cut which is about 4 hours) and it was just so wonderful. So the exact OPPOSITE of what this has been in the press. What's funny, and what I forgot, was how much shit they went through beforehand. That it kinda almost didn't happen. Cause the movie documents a lot of the concerns and pressures they faced and the fact that basically NO ONE thought they'd pull this off (I don't think the movie touches on the venue change, but you get a sense of how chaotic it was at the time. The setup was far from anything smooth) so in that way its the same as now. And its so funny to see THEN Lang just like "listen, we'll make it happen." He's SO calm, not all that different from how he is today. And by those standards then, he sounded as laughable as he does today, yet somehow it all worked. The fact that it BECAME free and didn't start that way, the issues with weather and stuff. Despite everything, it still worked out.

And now this one, which seems like such a desperate attempt to cash in on the name and every week of news that comes out making it worse. Seeing the original movie made me think how sad it is not that they couldn't pull this together (cause I never thought it was necessary or would want it) but that its basically the antithesis of the spirit of the festival. Its so desperately trying to CHASE something as opposed to CAPTURE something. It was really stunning the similarities and differences. Cause I got totally swept up in the film, and even though we all know Woodstock and its slightly overhyped, you watch the movie and forgot "@#$%&, its overhyped because it WAS that good." I mean intermission in the film starts after Ten Years After, which is two hours in. So you wonder what's left and its Jefferson Airplane, its Sly, its Janis, its Hendrix, its San-@#$%&-tana, its the Fish/@#$%& chant! I mean its all legendary, and two hours in you hadn't hit ANY of that and already had two hours of ridiculously memorable content. Its a phenomenal festival and impossible success that I'm not sure why they'd try to sully by pulling it off again. It was very much a product of its era and the people involved and around, the music at the music at the time as well as the politics. Its a miracle it worked and Lang should be honored for it. I don't know why he wants to embarrass himself with what's going on now. It doesn't ruin its legacy, but it makes me think different of him, even if he has good intentions.

I had no problems watching the movie thinking "its a rare thing that no matter what, you could never replicate. Its something that the past owns and I have to accept I can never fully experience it. This film is the closest I'll get to capturing the spirit". Everyone wants to replicate things, this is one that I genuinely don't think you can do that for. And you watch the movie and I feel thats obvious.

Date: July 17, 2019 14:02

Woodstock 50 denied Vernon permit, thanks 'artists who stood by us;' future unclear

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 17, 2019 19:18

This fiasco will continue until the anniversary of the actual festival passes and then this too will pass .

Date: July 17, 2019 19:31

Well...at this point not surprising, and maybe the town of Vernon did them a favor by putting them out of their misery.
Problem after problem, and the problems would probably have continued until the bitter end.
A shame it even went this far as it will always be mentioned in the same sentence as the original Woodstock.

RIP Woodstock 50, but you could never live up to the original in any way no matter what.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 17, 2019 23:58

Anyway, I think it's supposed to rain that weekend...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 22, 2019 23:19

Lang should have worked with these guys...
Its happening in Commerce Township MI instead!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The 50th Anniversary: Woodstock in the D!

Date: July 23, 2019 02:00

Apparently he's only even trying to attempt this for insurance money. They've already paid the acts, so if he keeps trying he has a better chance of outside forces canceling the forces so that Lang can collect the insurance.

Date: July 23, 2019 18:20

Woodstock 50 denied: Vernon says safety plan 'worthless as a basis' for a permit

John W. Barry July 22, 2019

With less than a month until it is scheduled to begin, Woodstock 50 is spiraling deeper into doubt as the drama and controversy that has surrounded the festival for months continues to escalate.

The Town of Vernon in Oneida County on Monday rejected for the fourth time in two weeks an application — with a safety plan deemed "worthless" by one official — submitted by organizers in hopes of staging a 50th anniversary Woodstock concert Aug. 16-18 at Vernon Downs, west of Utica.

Safety and capacity — two issues that dogged the historic Woodstock festival in 1969 — figure prominently in the denial letter issued by Town of Vernon Code Enforcement Officer Reay Walker in response to the most recent application submitted July 17.

Date: July 23, 2019 19:11

a safety plan deemed "worthless" by one official

Well...I thought the final nail was already driven through this mess, but maybe this is the last straw? Do they have a plan B ready? lol

Might be coming down to plan Y and Z at this point...Hail Mary!

Date: July 23, 2019 19:54

I say again:
RollingFreak
Apparently he's only even trying to attempt this for insurance money. They've already paid the acts, so if he keeps trying he has a better chance of outside forces canceling the forces so that Lang can collect the insurance.
He has no intention of this festival happening anymore.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 24, 2019 03:58

Hairball
Do they have a plan B ready? lol

Campfire in the desert, guy with guitar singing Blowing In The Wind ... winking smiley

Date: July 24, 2019 04:11

doitywoik
Hairball
Do they have a plan B ready? lol

Campfire in the desert, guy with guitar singing Blowing In The Wind ... winking smiley

smiling smiley

And broadcasting live via facebook to an audience made up solely of a just a few relatives.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 24, 2019 06:15

They should have restricted the whole thing to people who were and musicians who played at the original event in 1969. Would have condensed the event to one day, maybe only afternoon and/or evening, no need for special security forces (but maybe some additional doctors and a crane for pulling septuagenarians/octogenarians out of the mud), even the pills would be legal then (blood pressure, constipation, ...), like Woodstock 50 a/k/a PharmAid ...

Date: July 25, 2019 22:41

Merriweather Post Pavilion Breathes Life Into Woodstock 50

7/25/2019
By: Deborah Speer

Photo: Merriweather Post Pavilion

Woodstock 50, left for dead in Vernon, N.Y., is apparently still on life support with an offer of Merriweather Post Pavilion to host the anniversary celebration in Columbia, Md., Aug. 16-18.

Merriweather Post Pavilion is some 270 miles from the original Watkins Glen International site and is much smaller – it’s believed to be able to accommodate up to 35,000 though its official capacity listed with Pollstar is 19,316.

Permits have been denied in New York by state and local officials at two previous locations but the permitting process at Merriweather could be aided by Howard County officials who reportedly “jumped at the chance” to save the beleaguered festival.

“When we heard that there was an opportunity to save this festival and bring a piece of American history to our community this summer, we jumped at the chance,” Calvin Ball, an executive with Howard County, wrote in a note to Woodstock 50 organizer Greg Peck and obtained by Bloomberg News, which first reported the sudden reversal of fortune.

“Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia is a jewel of Howard County and one of the top music venues in the nation. It felt like such a natural fit to host a historic festival on our storied stage,” Ball said.

Seth Hurwitz and I.M.P., which operate the county-owned venue, reportedly are on board with the idea.

Merriweather Post has hosted festivals including Virgin Free Festival, M3 Rock Festival and Sweet Life events and would provide a turnkey operation for Woodstock 50 to operate for a weekend, provided Howard County and Columbia, Md., officials expedite any permitting issues. But challenges remain – it’s not clear if the distance from the original site would invalidate contracts for artists including Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, Imagine Dragons and many more.

In particular, confirmed artists John Fogerty and Santana have shows set for the same weekend at Bethel Woods Center For The Arts in Bethel, N.Y.

Pollstar will update this story as more information becomes available.

[www.pollstar.com]

Date: July 26, 2019 05:58

Do they even have enough time to sell tickets at this point? Its two weeks away.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 26, 2019 07:56

This festival now officially has nothing at all to do with Woodstock. (I've been to Merriweather Post--where at Virgin Free Fest Richard Branson walked past a bunch of us standing in the bathroom line on his way to the VIP facilities--and it's a great venue, but it's not even in the same state as Woodstock.)

Date: July 26, 2019 13:45

John Fogerty pulls out of troubled Woodstock 50 festival

Evan Agostini

[www.apnews.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 26, 2019 14:17

Put up better fences

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 26, 2019 18:48

Having been to Merriweather Post many times, a few things to keep in mind: Entry is/was via various gates where you show your ticket to get in; the lawn is a terrible place to be and you can't really hear let alone see the performers; the concession stand lines, as I remember, are long and everything is/was overpriced including bottles of water; there aren't/weren't enough bathrooms; parking is (or was) available near the venue, but, as we learned, better to park on the mall parking lot and walk to the pavilion; its August in Maryland which generally means hot and muggy. Granted, its been a few years since I lived in Maryland, but I don't think the conditions for going to and being at Merriweather for a show have changed.

On another note or two, outside of trying to rake in money from Boomers nostalgic for their past and maybe grabbing younger folks money in the process, why is anybody bothering about re-staging Woodstock? And does anybody really believe that's John Fogerty's natural hair color in the photo above?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home