Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: OT: Woodstock 2019
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 1, 2019 20:23

loog droog
Thanks for posting that LIFE magazine special report on Woodstock.

In the 1971 book No One Waved Good-bye: A Casualty Report on Rock and Roll (which centers on the deaths of Jimi, Janis, Brian Jones, and Brian Epstein there's an essay by Al Aronowitz where he talks about a young lady who lived in his building in NYC who went to Woodstock, and came back complaining about how awful it was--the rain, the mud, etc. etc.

He writes that after that LIFE magazine came out a month later and the whole "Woodstock Nation" legend started, she changed her tune and now was bragging that she was there, and how great the whole thing was.

That's the first time I've seen that LIFE issue

I read that book some 45 years ago and it's always stayed in my mind how people can be influenced by a myths and popular opinion and fool themselves into thinking anything.

Billy Joel, in the liner notes for Captain Jack on his 'Songs in the Attic' album, mentioned something similar about the reality of it all..."Woodstock was a nightmare; I was there. Rain, mud, b.o. and acid. You didn't miss anything."

OT: Woodstock 2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 1, 2019 21:19

Woodstock Founder Michael Lang Vows Show Will Go On -- But Talent Agencies Say Artists Won't Play

5/1/2019 by Dave Brooks

Lang sets out to save Woodstock -- without financing or commitments from artists.

The artists booked to play Woodstock 50 are not obligated to Michael Lang's event, Billboard has learned.

Representatives from two major talent agencies with headliners booked for the anniversary event said Dentsu's decision to pull out of the event voids their contract and releases them from playing the festival. "The artist contracts are with Dentsu, not with Michael Lang or Woodstock 50," an agent with artists booked for the event tell Billboard.

Full article> [www.billboard.com]

OT: Woodstock 50
Date: May 2, 2019 16:54

With Woodstock 50 in Peril, Michael Lang Is Defiant: ‘We’re Not Stopping Now’

Lauren Lancaster for The New York Times

By Ben Sisario

May 1, 2019

The most widely read piece of news about Woodstock’s planned 50th anniversary festival this summer came on Monday, when Dentsu Aegis Network, the event’s financial backer, made a surprise announcement declaring it dead.

The event, promoted by Michael Lang, one of the original partners in the legendary 1969 festival, was supposed to run from Aug. 16 to 18 in Watkins Glen, N.Y., with Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, Imagine Dragons, Santana, Dead and Company and dozens of others on the bill.

But from the start, Woodstock 50 drew skepticism throughout the music industry. The lineup was announced in March, later than expected, and one of the headliners, the Black Keys, soon dropped out. The announced date for the start of ticket sales came and went, with no tickets and a red flag: The festival was still awaiting necessary permits from state and local authorities.

Yet as soon as Dentsu pulled its support, Lang insisted that the show would go on, somehow. He even brought in the big legal guns. In a statement on Tuesday directed at the industry, the festival’s lawyer, Marc E. Kasowitz — who also represents President Trump — said that Dentsu did not have the right to cancel the festival, and instructed “all stakeholders, including the entertainers,” to proceed as planned. (Dentsu has declined to make any further comment.)

Still, many artist representatives have expressed grave doubts about the festival’s future, and chatter in the industry has already equated Woodstock 50 with the Fyre Festival — whose collapse in 2017 was so publicly disastrous that two documentaries were made about it. “It seems to be doomed for this year,” said Marsha Vlasic, a veteran talent agent whose client Cage the Elephant was booked for the festival.

On Wednesday, Lang spoke to The New York Times about how he proposes to keep his festival alive, and what went on behind the scenes with Dentsu, which he said was the only investor. These are edited excerpts from the conversation.

You’ve insisted that Woodstock 50 will go on. What do you need, financially and otherwise, to do that without Dentsu?

We need to replace them financially. Frankly, I think it will be a much easier process going forward, because all that baggage gets left behind. We are a few days away from permits; we are in talks with investors who are anxious to come in.

The clock is ticking. How quickly does this need to be done?

Believe me, I know. [Laughs.] We have a short window to put this back together. That’s obvious. We feel it’s enough time, and there is enough interest, that we think we will accomplish it.

Do you have sponsors?

We have potential sponsors, yes. Most of the sponsors ultimately were brought in through Concept One Communications, which is another partner to the deal, so we feel that that’s secure.

Did you get any more information from Dentsu about why they pulled out?

We really didn’t. The surprising thing was that they didn’t give us a heads up, or call, or say, “We’d like to back away, can you replace us?” It was just a surprise. It’s mind-boggling, in fact.

Dentsu felt that production deadlines were not met, and that the capacity had been reduced too much from what was originally planned — from 100,000 people to 75,000. Do you have a response to that?

We were definitely pushing initially for more than that. In researching the site more minutely, and assessing the surrounding properties that we thought would be available, we were looking for more than 100,000. But we were willing to go at 100,000, which we feel that the site can handle well.

It went down to 75,000 quite a while ago. Dentsu felt that’s the number they wanted to go with. And they pushed us to agree to that number, which surprised me, because it’s not in everybody’s interest to go smaller. But nonetheless, we went along with it, and that’s been the case for months; that’s not a new circumstance that would set this off.

So they agreed to 75,000?

Not only did they agree to it, they kind of insisted on it.

When you announced this festival, there was skepticism that you could compete with big events like Coachella and Bonnaroo. Now there is doubt that you can continue at all. How will you overcome that?

The best way to overcome that is for us to get on sale, and that’s the objective now. The talent has been solid for a couple of months now. They’ve been completely paid.

All of them?

Yeah, all of them. So moving forward for us is finishing up the permit application, which the state and the county have been really helpful with, and should be doable in just a few days. And then to go on sale.

What about the public? How do you get their confidence back?

The best way to turn things around is by your actions, not by your words. So again, it’s getting on sale.

I put out a letter last night to all the people who have emailed us, just to explain what is going on. The response has been great. People are being really supportive. Everybody is giving us the best of wishes, and “go get ’em” kind of stuff. And we will deliver.

I know that in this day and age when things are so buttoned down, and the industry is so buttoned down, this is kind of an oddity. But things happen when you are committed and have a purpose, and we are getting a lot of heartfelt support out there.

The last Woodstock festival, in 1999, ended with riots and reports of sexual assault. Now the 50th anniversary event is in doubt. What do you think this is going to do to Woodstock’s legacy?

Funnily enough, this kind of fits the legacy of Woodstock in a way. In 1969, we got kicked out of Wallkill a month before the festival was to happen. One of the miracles was that we found a site the next day.

Woodstock is kind of about … I don’t know how describe it other than that it’s just about commitment. We’re committed. We were committed then, and we’re not stopping now.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: May 2, 2019 17:14

Woodstock 50 Canceled After Organizers Realize Little League Team Booked Field That Weekend

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. — Organizers behind Woodstock 50 abruptly canceled the festival after discovering the desired location was already booked for a little league baseball game between Mel’s Diner Tigers and Classic Barber’s Reds, officials confirmed.
“This is obviously a huge disappointment. We thought we had all the correct permits, but then someone at city hall pointed out the field was already called for,” said Woodstock co-founder Michael Lang. “We tried our best to offer the teams free pizza and unlimited tokens at a local arcade, but they didn’t budge and unfortunately the fest is left without an adequate venue.”
Mitch Henry, whose own son plays for the Mel’s Diner Tigers, admitted he is relieved to see the festival was canceled.
“Hey, you gotta understand the rivalry between the Tigers and Reds goes back decades, people in this community are amped up for this game. Last year they played 18 innings and the Reds pulled out a 1-0 win so we want to get that back this year,” said Henry. “Plus with all those young people dancing around and destroying the turf it would take the entire community to come together and re-sod this place before the playoffs.”
According to sources, Chance the Rapper, who was initially scheduled to play Woodstock 50, plans on attending the game and hopes to join the winning team for ice cream.

[thehardtimes.net]

Posted by: walterD ()
Date: May 2, 2019 17:23

Boognish
Woodstock 50 Canceled After Organizers Realize Little League Team Booked Field That Weekend

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. — Organizers behind Woodstock 50 abruptly canceled the festival after discovering the desired location was already booked for a little league baseball game between Mel’s Diner Tigers and Classic Barber’s Reds, officials confirmed.
“This is obviously a huge disappointment. We thought we had all the correct permits, but then someone at city hall pointed out the field was already called for,” said Woodstock co-founder Michael Lang. “We tried our best to offer the teams free pizza and unlimited tokens at a local arcade, but they didn’t budge and unfortunately the fest is left without an adequate venue.”
Mitch Henry, whose own son plays for the Mel’s Diner Tigers, admitted he is relieved to see the festival was canceled.
“Hey, you gotta understand the rivalry between the Tigers and Reds goes back decades, people in this community are amped up for this game. Last year they played 18 innings and the Reds pulled out a 1-0 win so we want to get that back this year,” said Henry. “Plus with all those young people dancing around and destroying the turf it would take the entire community to come together and re-sod this place before the playoffs.”
According to sources, Chance the Rapper, who was initially scheduled to play Woodstock 50, plans on attending the game and hopes to join the winning team for ice cream.

[thehardtimes.net]

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: May 7, 2019 17:57

Woodstock 50 Founder: Investors ‘Illegally Swept’ $17 Million From Festival Account

Michael Lang alleges that Japanese company Dentsu blocked ticket sales, advised talent to back out of lineup for potential slots in 2020 Summer Olympics

By Ryan Reed
May 6, 2019

Evan Agostini

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: Woodstock 50
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 7, 2019 19:25

Thank you Japan!

what's dentsu make? i want to buy a lot of em.
hope it's not washing machines; i live upstairs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 19:26 by hopkins.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 7, 2019 20:01

Why is the Stones tour postponed /cancelled and this abomination proceeds ?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2019 17:12

TheGreek
Why is the Stones tour postponed /cancelled and this abomination proceeds ?

Because "Woodstock" doesn't actually need a heart valve replaced?

Date: May 9, 2019 18:26

ta fricken boom. it got no heart.
those damn kids, when they are not stinking up my lawn with that pot they're vaping, they are asking me what 'Burn" i went to!!?
I tell em i saw all the Road Warrior movies when they were new, bite me...
and larry of arabia; bite me twice millinerial; or whatever.
it's cool there's a dividing line, cause, it's war little sister....
jeeeze louisessssee
oooh something with big flags is rolling with a chicken head...
super, that's not gonna freak me out when I'm tripping on mesc in Hades...
Everybody is naked and FREE man., probs free to trade their car for a bottle
of water before they are the Human Torch that does not fly.
i've been to no burns son....hey, nice iphone, stfu, is usually how i handle these rich hippie kids

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-09 18:32 by hopkins.

Date: May 9, 2019 18:36

At woodstock 69 we were more civilized and much more intellijent.
you see, it rained, so we undressed and smeared mud on each other's .....
and everything...that takes an understanding of the elements...
...AND scientic process and subsekwuent analysis...
...you get the feel for how diluting a semi-solid with rainwater can lead to a.... brb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-09 18:37 by hopkins.

Date: May 9, 2019 18:57

Woodstock 50 Files Injunction Against Primary Investor Over $17.8M Withdrawal

5/9/2019 by Dave Brooks

Michael Loccisano/Getty Images

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 10, 2019 04:58

WOODSTOCK - BACK TO THE GARDEN:
THE DEFINITIVE 50TH ANNIVERSARY ARCHIVE

38 CDs, 432 Tracks - 267 Previously Unreleased
Blu-ray of the Director’s Cut of the Woodstock Film
Woodstock Hardbound Book by Michael Lang
Ephemera including Replica Original Program, Replica Posters, Henry Diltz Photo Prints, Guitar Strap
Housed in a screen-printed plywood box with canvas insert
Limited, Numbered Edition Of 1969

[www.rhino.com]

Very expensive...I'd like the complete Who set separately, not interested in the massive box...or the smaller configurations...

Date: May 10, 2019 05:17

shortfatfanny

WOODSTOCK - BACK TO THE GARDEN:
THE DEFINITIVE 50TH ANNIVERSARY ARCHIVE

38 CDs, 432 Tracks - 267 Previously Unreleased
Blu-ray of the Director’s Cut of the Woodstock Film
Woodstock Hardbound Book by Michael Lang
Ephemera including Replica Original Program, Replica Posters, Henry Diltz Photo Prints, Guitar Strap
Housed in a screen-printed plywood box with canvas insert
Limited, Numbered Edition Of 1969

[www.rhino.com]

Very expensive...I'd like the complete Who set separately, not interested in the massive box...or the smaller configurations...

i have several sets by individuals already from woodstock. all authorized but sme not in the best quality
mountain
janis joplin
santana
sly and the family stone
johnny winter

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 10, 2019 06:48

Its amazing how each box set seems like the most definitive one then they always find more. HOW can there still be 267 previously unreleased tracks from that festival?!!!

Also, if anyone doesn't have it, Jefferson Airplane's authorized official full Woodstock set is glorious. IMO them at their best.

Date: May 10, 2019 07:08

if you dump the "NA" Carlos is Santa.
it's subliminagable. not all show people are dunces, people.
it worked dint it? all them bongos and he still had a hit!
you just got to believe. oooh was that a sleigh?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 11, 2019 04:01

RollingFreak
Its amazing how each box set seems like the most definitive one then they always find more. HOW can there still be 267 previously unreleased tracks from that festival?!!!

Also, if anyone doesn't have it, Jefferson Airplane's authorized official full Woodstock set is glorious. IMO them at their best.

Are you speaking of audio or video for the Airplane? How many songs?

So what are the best video sources for the various bands.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 11, 2019 04:04

RollingFreak

Agreed. It doesn't seem even remotely possible that 267 tracks could have been unreleased for 50 years.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 11, 2019 06:02

Similar to Dylan's Complete Live '66 set, this release is to extend the owner's copyright and prevent all of the unreleased recordings from entering the public domain.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 11, 2019 06:33

Finally we will get to hear the legendary Bert Sommer, Quill and Sweetwater sets in their entirety!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-11 06:38 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 12, 2019 10:25

The Sicilian
RollingFreak

Are you speaking of audio or video for the Airplane? How many songs?

So what are the best video sources for the various bands.

Audio. Its like a full 15 song two CD set. No idea about video.

Date: May 13, 2019 22:21

Woodstock 50 Financier Hits Back at Michael Lang With Blistering Legal Rebuttal

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 13, 2019 22:37

Woodstock 50 is a mess. Michael Lang clearly bit off more than he could chew with this one and greatly underestimated the upfront costs, legal process and logistical planning involved in putting on a festival of this magnitude. Most of the artists booked demanded to be paid upfront so unfortunately Densu is out $30 million but that's what they get for trying to be greedy and pushing for a $450 ticket price. Lang should have started by staging a much smaller festival at the Watkins Glen site for a few years running and worked out all the kinks and had that been a success, perhaps by now they would be ready for a Woodstock 50. It had the potential to be a colossal train wreck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-13 22:47 by TornAndFried.

Date: May 15, 2019 18:49

Woodstock 50: Dentsu had no right to cancel, Amplifi Live rep says

John W. Barry May 14, 2019

Dentsu Aegis did not have the right to unilaterally cancel Woodstock 50.

That’s according to DJ Martin of Dentsu’s Amplifi Live division, under questioning from Marc Kasowitz, attorney for the team organizing the 50th anniversary festival.

And soon, a judge will decide if Dentsu Aegis has the right to pull out as financial partner of the troubled event.

A tense two-day hearing in state Supreme Court in Manhattan concluded on Tuesday. The Woodstock 50 team is asking the court to force Dentsu to continue working on the festival and reinstate the roughly $18 million it had removed from the event’s bank account.

On Monday, Gregory Peck of Woodstock 50 LLC, which is staging the festival, said that the team needs the money back, or funds to replace it, within days in order to stage the event.

State Supreme Court Justice Barry Ostrager said he would issue a ruling in 24 to 36 hours from about 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Full story > [www.poughkeepsiejournal.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 15, 2019 21:23

This is the end , my only friend the end

Date: May 16, 2019 13:47

Woodstock 50 not cancelled, but can't regain funds, judge rules

John W. Barry, May 15, 2019

Woodstock 50 can proceed as planned.

But, it will have to do without its former financial partner's funding.

Dentsu Aegis cannot cancel the upcoming anniversary concert, as it attempted to do on April 29, but does not have to return $17.8 million it removed from a festival account in the midst of a dispute, state Supreme Court Judge Barry R. Ostrager has ruled.

Ostrager said in court this week that any decision he issued would expire within 30 days if arbitration does not begin with both sides — Ulster County resident Michael Lang and his Woodstock 50 team; and Dentsu Aegis and its Amplifi Live division.

Ostrager issued his order late Wednesday following testimony on Monday and Tuesday in state Supreme Court in Manhattan.

[www.poughkeepsiejournal.com]

Date: May 17, 2019 22:28

Woodstock 50 funded; organizers reveal Oppenheimer & Co. as new partner

John W. Barry May 17, 2019

The Woodstock 50 festival has secured financing through the Oppenheimer & Co. brokerage and investment bank.

“Oppenheimer & Co. has signed on as a financial adviser to complete the financing for the festival…,” reads a press release that Woodstock 50 issued early Friday afternoon. “Event preparations will continue as planned as Oppenheimer joins the list of strong institutions producing the festival.”

The announcement from Woodstock 50 came early Friday afternoon, in the wake of representatives saying in court on Monday that the festival was broke and needed to secure cash within days.

[www.poughkeepsiejournal.com]

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:04

If you want anything even remotely like Woodstock.......Have a look here 3 Days of Peace and Love in Milkovice,Czech Republic.....August 15th.16th.17th....Over 50+ acts to perform.....Ticket's you will love this one are Voluntary i.e. You pay what you feel is right for you! When is the last time if every you got that deal!!!!!! Bring a tent!!!!! WWW.Kozi.cz have a look could be fun!!!!

Date: May 23, 2019 21:54

How Woodstock 50 Imploded Right Before Our Eyes: A Timeline

By Larry Fitzmaurice

Welcome to Fyre Festival 2.0. Photo: Woodstock 50

[www.vulture.com]

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 23, 2019 21:58

We can not reinvent the past. I wish I can go back to this and Watkins Glen but no they will and can't be the same.

Disappointment as cannot recreate that era with mentality we have in 2019.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home