Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: OT: Woodstock 2019
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 29, 2019 20:55

I was too young for the first one and too old for all the others since. Oh well.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 29, 2019 21:11

Has Woodstock 50 been canceled? Organizers argue over status

John W. Barry, Poughkeepsie Journal
April 29, 2019

A spokesperson for Woodstock 50's financial partner says the Woodstock 50 festival has been canceled.

But organizers for the 2019 Woodstock festival say this is false and the concert will be held.

"Woodstock 50 vehemently denies the festival's cancellation and legal remedy will (be) sought," a statement from Woodstock 50 said.

A statement from Dentsu Aegis Network’s Amplifi Live says:

“It’s a dream for agencies to work with iconic brands and to be associated with meaningful movements. We have a strong history of producing experiences that bring people together around common interests and causes which is why we chose to be a part of the Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival.

"But despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees. As a result and after careful consideration, Dentsu Aegis Network’s Amplifi Live, a partner of Woodstock 50, has decided to cancel the festival. As difficult as it is, we believe this is the most prudent decision for all parties involved.”

Considered the crowning achievement of the 1960s counterculture, the Woodstock Music and Art Fair Aug. 15-18, 1969 attracted hundreds of thousands of people to Bethel in Sullivan County. Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Richie Havens and Janis Joplin were among the performers at the festival, which took place against the backdrop of 1960s turmoil.

Woodstock 50 is being produced under license from Woodstock Ventures, which was founded by Lang, Joel Rosenman and the late John Roberts. Those three, along with Artie Kornfeld, produced the 1969 Woodstock festival. Kornfeld will be rejoining the team for Woodstock 50.

News that Woodstock 50 is possibly canceled is the latest wrinkle in Lang's plans to mark the golden anniversary of perhaps the most famous concert ever.

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 29, 2019 21:31

maybe it's just postponed.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 30, 2019 09:49

Now cancelled:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 30, 2019 10:46

Thank god.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 30, 2019 11:43

I heard Bob Dylan's showing up anyway. Could be a rumor.
Don't take the purple acid ok? Groovy, everybody's in love man, like with each other MANNN! yeh don't take it; and if you did, man; hey this is the time
to freak the @#$%& out i guess

Date: April 30, 2019 11:52

Howz about Altamont 2019. you know The Beeb is not Number 1 anymore;
he sorta knows it; a career boost at this point could mean everything
to that idiot kid ya know?
His adult rep would be sealed; it could be a second start to a Huge Return.
I say we send him there in a bus. Get this, people, a hIPPE bUS, MAN .Paint it colors and shit? righteous. Just him and a bus.
One gallon of water and set the buzzards lose. Here's wehre Periscope mounted drones with Go Pros come in, people. You with me this far means we're gonna Trip, man. Yesss. Beeb. buzzards. buzz as in press. k? easy. No damn filter.
Let's say it together once. k?

Beeb. Buzzards. Burn. Altamont 2019. Feed The Birds. Volume: SsissssszzzPOP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-30 11:53 by hopkins.

OT: Woodstock 50
Date: April 30, 2019 13:44

Woodstock 50 canceled? Organizers say festival will be a 'blast'

John W. Barry, Poughkeepsie Journal
April 29, 2019

Organizers for Woodstock 50 say the anniversary festival will go on.

But, a spokesperson for the event's financial partner says it has been canceled. And, the county where the 2019 Woodstock festival was scheduled to be held is preparing to move on without it on the summer schedule.

"Woodstock 50 vehemently denies the festival's cancellation and legal remedy will (be) sought," read a statement that Woodstock 50 issued Monday afternoon.

Monday night, Woodstock 50 organizers seemed emboldened as they released a new statement that said they would bring in new financial partners and stage a festival that "is going to be a blast."

"We are committed to ensuring that the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock is marked with a festival deserving of its iconic name and place in American history and culture," the statement from Woodstock 50 read. "Although our financial partner is withdrawing, we will of course be continuing with the planning of the festival and intend to bring on new partners. We would like to acknowledge the State of New York and Schuyler County for all of their hard work and support. The bottom line is, there is going to be a Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival, as there must be, and it's going to be a blast.”

[www.poughkeepsiejournal.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 30, 2019 13:47

Ha Ha

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: April 30, 2019 17:20

The irony is that the 2019 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage fest had one of the most impressive lineups I'd ever seen. As close to a dream lineup for me.
But I'd rather have a real-live healthy Mick than an as-close-to-a-dream-music-fest.

And there's no way I would pay go to a Woodstock 50th Anniversary (and, certainly not with that announced lineup, save for the Doobie Brothers).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-30 17:22 by stevecardi.

Date: April 30, 2019 19:22

Well, NY is a Great state for this.
How about moving it to Harlem and making it Woodstock Funk Festival.
hope never dies

Date: April 30, 2019 21:53

Statement from Woodstock 50 organizer Michael Lang

Dear Woodstock Friends

It seems in a way that history is repeating itself. In July of 1969 we lost our site in Walkill and with only a month to go we managed to move to Bethel. Woodstock was going to happen no matter what!

This time around, Woodstock’s new hometown, Dix & Watkins Glen, NY and New York State have been really wonderful. I went door to door to talk to the neighbors. Some remembered Summer Jam back in ’73 and were worried about history repeating itself. But they opened their doors to us and we talked it out. Many of those people have reached out over the last 24 hours with messages of hope and encouragement.

The venue, Watkins Glen International, have been totally supportive and professional.

Yesterday, our financial partner, Dentsu-Aegis, made the decision to pull out and informed us that they were cancelling the festival at the same time they let the press release go public.

We have yet to understand why they would try to prevent the festival from happening by seemingly undermining us in this way. It is one thing to decide for oneself that it is best to move on, but it is entirely another thing to try and close the door on us.

Yesterday, I couldn’t help but relive that moment 50 years ago – it was “ déjà vu all over again”!

Supporting the principles of activism and sustainability are too important to be derailed by shortsighted partners.

We continue our work with NYS, Schuyler County and various parties to keep things on track.

Woodstock never belonged to Dentsu, so they don’t have a right to cancel it.

Woodstock belongs to the people and it always will.

We don’t give up and Woodstock 50 will take place and will be a blast!

Thanks for Listening, Michael

[www.pollstar.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 1, 2019 00:37

Per Michael Lang, "Woodstock belongs to the people and it always will." Does this mean the festival will be open and free to the people? Now, this would be a real tribute to the spirit of the original festival.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 1, 2019 02:33

They could cut some costs by bringing the Hell’s Angels in for security.
Beer costs may skyrocket though...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 1, 2019 03:58

Maybe we should rather wait for Woodstock 75, they may have sorted out things until then ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-01 14:04 by doitywoik.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2019 04:12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-01 04:13 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 1, 2019 04:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-01 04:35 by schillid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2019 05:46

Thanks schillid - pretty sure our family had that copy when I was a kid.
Life, National Geographic, and Sports Illustrated were staples around our house back in those days.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 1, 2019 07:18

Wow! What a surprise. I still have my copy of the Woodstock special edition posted by schillid. It's packed away with other memorabilia from the 1960s. I remember I was so taken with the movie Woodstock that I saw it three times during its first month of release. I can still visualize Sly Stone dancing around the stage and, like many, learned to mimic Joe Cocker's movements as he sang. Another memory of that time just popped up: Me and some of my military buds, hearing Woodstock was gonna happen, considered taking a little time off from the service and hitch hike our way across the U-S-A to attend. We didn't, otherwise our a*sses would've been considered AWOL and time in the slam, even for the music, was of no interest to us. God, such a different time.

Date: May 1, 2019 08:35

schillid
Images...

finally firm PROOF that i was there.
I've looked at a MILLION pictures over the year in search of myself.
I asked bobby dylan, i asked the dam beetles,
i ask timothy leary, and he was so @#$%& drunk i couldn't believe it.
they call me the living PROOF baby, thank GOODNESS.
i feel alive again; i feel newly 18 again.

see that picture near the very bottom where helpful hippies are cleaning up the "debris" (bill wrote that one for ronnie lane)....
everyone's helpfully picking up trash after all those shows?
that little white house upper left in that shot at the top of that rise?

yep, that's me; upper left, behind that little house, peeing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-02 00:52 by bv.

Date: May 1, 2019 08:43

Cat On A Hot Tin Leash.
i'm feeling hippie tonight, man.
if you can dig that brother
i'm just going with the flow man
it's flowing man
it's leaking
leek leek baby
get down
alright
hey
hey hey
hey hey babuh
babuh babhu

ok, warmed up; now i'll try some hippie poetry man.
we just wanna be free man if you cannot dig that man then thats why man if you can dig That

i didn't start yet that just came out.
like vomit...

ooh see that? metaphor. i ain't screwin around here, i ain't talking
about he don't like the look of me and i don't like the look of hin shit.
wtf is that. who cares. where's your voice go, Uncle Ernie's? let's not go there....

ok, i'm gonna start in a minute
...it's no good if you don't start right, so that you don't waste people's time with nothing man, they do not dig that man
okay, almost ready....
brb

Date: May 1, 2019 08:48

why weren't The Doors at Woodstork? some kind of fake hippies they turned out to be. The only good song bill ever wrote for them was Horse Latitudes,
that's him on ocean. ssssh, a no credit deal; money under the table...
freakin fake hippies

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 1, 2019 09:24

The couldn't play Woodstock after the 'Miami--Incident'. Morrison was facing trial from September 20th and after the Miami Show in March many gigs were cancelled, So they weren't an option.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 1, 2019 09:31

My American penpal was at Woodstock (not that she referred to it as that, just "this festival in upstate New York" that she and her friends made a last minute decision to go to), and her stories were all about traffic and then camping up in the woods in the rain. They had a great time, heard a lot of great music, but didn't actually see any of the bands. grinning smiley

Re: OT: Woodstock 50
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 1, 2019 15:09

bye bye johnny
Statement from Woodstock 50 organizer Michael Lang

Dear Woodstock Friends

It seems in a way that history is repeating itself. In July of 1969 we lost our site in Walkill and with only a month to go we managed to move to Bethel. Woodstock was going to happen no matter what!

This time around, Woodstock’s new hometown, Dix & Watkins Glen, NY and New York State have been really wonderful. I went door to door to talk to the neighbors. Some remembered Summer Jam back in ’73 and were worried about history repeating itself. But they opened their doors to us and we talked it out. Many of those people have reached out over the last 24 hours with messages of hope and encouragement.

The venue, Watkins Glen International, have been totally supportive and professional.

Yesterday, our financial partner, Dentsu-Aegis, made the decision to pull out and informed us that they were cancelling the festival at the same time they let the press release go public.

We have yet to understand why they would try to prevent the festival from happening by seemingly undermining us in this way. It is one thing to decide for oneself that it is best to move on, but it is entirely another thing to try and close the door on us.

Yesterday, I couldn’t help but relive that moment 50 years ago – it was “ déjà vu all over again”!

Supporting the principles of activism and sustainability are too important to be derailed by shortsighted partners.

We continue our work with NYS, Schuyler County and various parties to keep things on track.

Woodstock never belonged to Dentsu, so they don’t have a right to cancel it.

Woodstock belongs to the people and it always will.

We don’t give up and Woodstock 50 will take place and will be a blast!

Thanks for Listening, Michael

[www.pollstar.com]
I get a tremendous kick out of the line "supporting the principles of activism and sustainability are too important to be derailed by shortsighted partners" Sure he does and turning a profit is not a consideration !

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 1, 2019 15:28

Lang is quite the BS artist...always has been.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: May 1, 2019 15:49

Back in the late 90's I was once on my way to a job interview in NYC and randomly ran into ML, I just recognized him on the street so I turned back and handed him my resume.

Still waiting on a call back. Seems he could use some help,,,

just saying.

Date: May 1, 2019 16:02

Papo
The couldn't play Woodstock after the 'Miami--Incident'. Morrison was facing trial from September 20th and after the Miami Show in March many gigs were cancelled, So they weren't an option.

Thank you; i shouldn't have joked about it then.
that was a hard crucible for the band and players.

Date: May 1, 2019 18:05

John Fogerty on Woodstock 50: ‘There Was Some Shakiness to This Whole Thing’

Fogerty says he was paid in advance, but will donate his fee to military veterans if the festival is indeed off

By David Browne

Evan Agostini

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 1, 2019 18:49

Thanks for posting that LIFE magazine special report on Woodstock.

In the 1971 book No One Waved Good-bye: A Casualty Report on Rock and Roll (which centers on the deaths of Jimi, Janis, Brian Jones, and Brian Epstein there's an essay by Al Aronowitz where he talks about a young lady who lived in his building in NYC who went to Woodstock, and came back complaining about how awful it was--the rain, the mud, etc. etc.

He writes that after that LIFE magazine came out a month later and the whole "Woodstock Nation" legend started, she changed her tune and now was bragging that she was there, and how great the whole thing was.

That's the first time I've seen that LIFE issue

I read that book some 45 years ago and it's always stayed in my mind how people can be influenced by a myth and popular opinion and fool themselves into thinking anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-01 22:23 by loog droog.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home