Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: BMG signs Keith Richards' solo catalogue
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 13, 2018 19:04

corriecas
Some people are talking about possible releases..
i dont think there is any official talk about that, yet...

Guess fans are hoping for it, just like me....

Jeroen

Just this from BMG: "Forthcoming physical reissues will include deluxe and expanded CDs and LPs, boxsets, and additional special projects..."

Date: November 13, 2018 19:08

gotdablouse
Can't find any info about this ?

All I found is this:

"Joyce Smyth, manager of The Rolling Stones, was named Businesswoman Of The Year at the ceremony — and she received some top video tributes from the rock legends whose careers she's steered through global success.

“I’d like to thank Joyce Smyth so much for keeping us working so hard - I’ve been exhausted for the last few years,” said Sir Mick Jagger. “And I’d like to congratulate her for winning the Businesswoman Of The Year award, well done Joyce!”

“Congratulations, what wonderful news,” said Ronnie Wood. “We are all so proud of you, you totally deserve it [for] all the wonderful things you do for the band - we love you.”

Keith Richards also had his say on the honour: “Let me congratulate you on the wonderful news - well done, girl. Let’s have many more.”

There were further tributes from Paul Gongaware and John Meglen, co-presidents, Concerts West, Universal Music UK CEO/chairman David Joseph, Universal Music Group International’s SVP, marketing, Orla Lee-Fisher and top industry lawyer and former IFPI CEO John Kennedy."

[www.musicweek.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 13, 2018 20:43

rara
jlowe
Deltics
jlowe
Bit confused as to whether this is for a recording deal or music publishing.
Whatever, BMG are part of the Universal group, I believe?
Wonder if Keith is planning some more solo recordings in the near future..or its just a business deal to tie up some loose ends.

Keith already had his music published by BMG and this deal adds his recordings.
BMG is part of Sony Music and isn't (yet!) connected to Universal.

I thought I had read somewhere...Wiki?....that BMG Music Publishing was part of Universal.

BMG is completely independent and has nothing to do with either Sony or Universal.

[en.wikipedia.org]

A bit confusing because:

UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING (Wiki entry) states:
"In 2006 Universal Music Publishing Group acquired Bertelsmann Music Publishing from Bertelsmann Music Group for 1.63 billion euros, back then the third biggest music publishing company in the world, making Universal Music Publishing the largest in the world".

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 13, 2018 21:09

OK, so maybe not relevant, but I still wish to see a Wandering Spirit deluxe set, too.

Date: November 13, 2018 23:35

I'd love to hear Mick's original version of this...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rara ()
Date: November 13, 2018 23:50

jlowe
rara
jlowe
Deltics
jlowe
Bit confused as to whether this is for a recording deal or music publishing.
Whatever, BMG are part of the Universal group, I believe?
Wonder if Keith is planning some more solo recordings in the near future..or its just a business deal to tie up some loose ends.

Keith already had his music published by BMG and this deal adds his recordings.
BMG is part of Sony Music and isn't (yet!) connected to Universal.

I thought I had read somewhere...Wiki?....that BMG Music Publishing was part of Universal.

BMG is completely independent and has nothing to do with either Sony or Universal.

[en.wikipedia.org]

A bit confusing because:

UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING (Wiki entry) states:
"In 2006 Universal Music Publishing Group acquired Bertelsmann Music Publishing from Bertelsmann Music Group for 1.63 billion euros, back then the third biggest music publishing company in the world, making Universal Music Publishing the largest in the world".

I see where the confusion is coming from. Bertelsmann sold off the 'old' BMG in 2006 (publishing to UMG, recording to Sony). In 2008, Bertelsmann founded a new record company under the same name. However, they have nothing to do with each other. The 'new' BMG started off with just three employees in Berlin and has since grown to the fourth biggest label in the world. Neither Universal nor Sony have any stake in that company.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: November 14, 2018 00:10

a proper DVD of the soundstage show and all the televised Winos concerts would be nice.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 14, 2018 02:32

@Rocky - thanks for the links, both the award for JS and that cool Jagger/Rip song I'd never heard of, found this on Nico's page : [www.nzentgraf.de]

"06/17/01
Thanks to Harald I found out about a formerly unknown Mick Jagger/Jimmy Rip composition called Better Days, originally written for Jagger's solo albums Wandering Spirit and then given to Blues musician King Ernest by Rip (who plays on the album) in 1994 or 1995.
CD King Ernest "King Of Hearts" (Evidence ECD 26084, -USA) "

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 14, 2018 04:23

How about the complete live at the Hollywood Bowl 1988 in six 45rpm vinyl lps? Can you imagine hearing that killer version of "Happy" in a deep-groove format and let it take up a whole side? Let's just release this and talk about the other stuff later. Oh yeah, throw in the blu-ray of the show as well. I'll take a mortgage out on my house for it.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 14, 2018 10:08

Both Main Offender, and Talk Is Cheap, appear deleted in the UK on Amazon.co.uk: it appears that there's limited availability.

As for the Live @ The Palladium; that was deleted a long time ago.

Date: November 16, 2018 04:09

The Hollywood Palladium show is the crown jewel in his repertoire. It's just too terrific, folks.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 16, 2018 11:40

Everything will happen "Keith style" that is nothing will happen unless someone from the outside decides to explore the Winos vault and do sth with it.

You know how "productive" Keef is when left to his own devices... grinning smiley

Date: November 16, 2018 11:51

Rocky Dijon
I'd love to hear Mick's original version of this...

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, that's a nice tune. Could have been one of Taj Mahal's soul tunes. Good stuff!

Date: November 16, 2018 12:54

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 11:09 by rara.

Date: November 16, 2018 13:00

rara
Can confirm that 'Live at the Hollywood Palladium, December 15, 1998' will get some attention in the hopefully not too distant future smiling bouncing smiley

Interesting! winking smiley

Date: November 16, 2018 14:51

rara
Can confirm that 'Live at the Hollywood Palladium, December 15, 1798' will get some attention in the hopefully not too distant future

Like a Bluray release? Whoever handles this should dig out the original film elements and have them scanned at 4K resolution! thumbs up That could also enable the concert to be shown in theaters!!!

The ultimate kick for Keef fans! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-16 16:35 by dcba.

Date: November 16, 2018 16:15

DandelionPowderman
rara
Can confirm that 'Live at the Hollywood Palladium, December 15, 1998' will get some attention in the hopefully not too distant future smiling bouncing smiley

Interesting! winking smiley

yeah i missed that show

Date: November 16, 2018 17:04

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 11:09 by rara.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 16, 2018 17:10

Well the question that begs is yet again simple. How hard is to clean up and properly release archive material? There is a wealth of material that is related to Keith's solo career and of course The Rolling Stones. Just find the right people(there has to be many knowledgable professionals) to put audio and video archives into packages and let the fans enjoy this material. The Beatles are masters at this. They have had multiple re-releases that have sold well and were gobbled up by fans. Recently released White album 50th anniversary is cranking out sales. Why oh why can't the Stones just do this? I guess the answer is they simply don't care. Maybe Keith has the right people working on this shit? Let's hope so.

It boggles the mind! We shouldn't have to wait until we are 70-80 years old to enjoy what's out there. Meanwhile father time eats away at audio and video tape quality!!!!

Serenity now..

Date: November 16, 2018 17:26

Both The Beatles (with Apple) and Dylan (with his 'team') have very efficient and focussed people looking after their Archives.
With The Stones..it just seems more haphazard. It may be due to The Stones own ambivalence towards the past and also the difficulties of the Stones themselves agreeing on anything. Other than touring, of course.
With Dylan..its just himself to sign off. With The Beatles I suspect Ringo is fine to go with anything Macca agrees to.
Ironic that Mick once said (probably early 70s) that he'd never want The Stones to end up like The Fab 4 and air their disagreements in public.
At least we have got Apple delivering the goods, Beatle wise.

Date: November 16, 2018 17:56

filstan
Meanwhile father time eats away at audio and video tape quality!!!!

Logic would dictate that Mick the CEO of the Stones Corp. has already made sure all the important stuff has been digitalized (just to keep a non-physical copy in case of major problem at the Stones vault).So logically one day the Gates should open and we'll flooded with live shows, outtakes.

Psychologically it might be safe to think Mick theguy-who-never-looks-back doesn't want it to happen while he's still alive... "That old lot of rubbish... I don't care for it" would be a typical Mick reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-16 17:58 by dcba.

Date: November 16, 2018 18:09

dcba
filstan

Logic would dictate that Mick the CEO of the Stones Corp. has already made sure all the important stuff has been digitalized (just to keep a non-physical copy in case of major problem at the Stones vault).So logically one day the Gates should open and we'll flooded with live shows, outtakes.

Psychologically it might be safe to think Mick theguy-who-never-looks-back doesn't want it to happen while he's still alive... "That old lot of rubbish... I don't care for it" would be a typical Mick reaction.

And if profit is the bottom line...its difficult to see much point.
There are people on this Board who are more knowledgeable regarding chart positions, sales, profits etc of the Vaults releases to date. I suspect though, after all the costs are factored in, the net profits for Universal and Stones Corp don't add up to much?

Date: November 16, 2018 19:02

jlowe
dcba
filstan

There are people on this Board who are more knowledgeable regarding chart positions, sales, profits etc of the Vaults releases to date. I suspect though, after all the costs are factored in, the net profits for Universal and Stones Corp don't add up to much?

As if the Stones catalogue didn't/ doesn't make money? The Beatles keep making big $$ on multiple re-issues. Why not give loyal cash carrying fans a chance to own some remastered material from lets say for example the entirety of the Some Girls sessions, sans the senseless vocal and guitar overdubs? All of it. UC sessions, you name it. Just put it out. Re-mix concerts from the Brian early years. 1970 UK tour. The Charlie Is My Darling set was fantastic. Ya Ya's deluxe set was outstanding. The Leeds Roundhouse stuff was really great too. The fans want the material from the 60-70's. Thats' where the money is. Just put it out in better quality than the boots.

"lose your dreams and you will lose your mind"

Date: November 16, 2018 19:52

filstan
The fans want the material from the 60-70's. Thats' where the money is.

Jagger would reply the money is in the 2019 2020 shows, with "1st-timers" (ppl who have not seen them before) rather than in archive releases which appeal to the 1% uber-fans aka "the IORR madhouse". grinning smiley

Date: November 16, 2018 20:25

dcba
filstan
The fans want the material from the 60-70's. Thats' where the money is.

Jagger would reply the money is in the 2019 2020 shows, with "1st-timers" (ppl who have not seen them before) rather than in archive releases which appeal to the 1% uber-fans aka "the IORR madhouse". grinning smiley

Can't argue with that. All true.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 16, 2018 20:33

Rocky Dijon
gotdablouse
Can't find any info about this ?

All I found is this:

"Joyce Smyth, manager of The Rolling Stones, was named Businesswoman Of The Year at the ceremony — and she received some top video tributes from the rock legends whose careers she's steered through global success.

“I’d like to thank Joyce Smyth so much for keeping us working so hard - I’ve been exhausted for the last few years,” said Sir Mick Jagger. “And I’d like to congratulate her for winning the Businesswoman Of The Year award, well done Joyce!”

“Congratulations, what wonderful news,” said Ronnie Wood. “We are all so proud of you, you totally deserve it [for] all the wonderful things you do for the band - we love you.”

Keith Richards also had his say on the honour: “Let me congratulate you on the wonderful news - well done, girl. Let’s have many more.”

There were further tributes from Paul Gongaware and John Meglen, co-presidents, Concerts West, Universal Music UK CEO/chairman David Joseph, Universal Music Group International’s SVP, marketing, Orla Lee-Fisher and top industry lawyer and former IFPI CEO John Kennedy."

[www.musicweek.com]

Another article from the same website:

'Keith looked at me thinking, 'What is she on?': Rolling Stones manager Joyce Smyth stars at Women In Music 2018
by Ben Homewood
November 15th 2018

When The Rolling Stones starred on the cover of Music Week back in May, we heard the story of how an why they continue to be the biggest and most important band on the planet.

Since 2011, Joyce Smyth has been steering the ship as the band’s manager. Amidst glowing tributes from the band, including a clapping Mick Jagger, their team and a beaming Universal Music UK chairman and CEO David Joseph, Smyth picked up the Businesswoman Of The Year trophy at the Music Week Women In Music Awards 2018.

Along with her fellow winners, Smyth is profiled in the new issue of Music Week, out now. Described by Joseph as “truly brilliant”, Smyth rocked the crowd at last week’s bash with one of the best speeches on a day packed with gems.

Read it in full below.

“My last prize was the Latin Cup in the Sixth form! No surprises it was something as unhip as the Latin Cup, because my beloved family will tell you that I am the most non-rock‘n’roll person that you can possibly meet.

“To illustrate that, and this is a true story and I am ashamed of even telling you really, but about two years ago, I sat backstage before one of the shows with the adorable Keith and I said, ‘Oh god Keith I am just so pleased you’ve put back Moonlight Mile on the set list.’ ‘Oh why is that?’ he said. I go, ‘Oh it’s my favourite!’ He says, ‘Oh, why is that?’ I said, ‘Well, it reminds me a bit of a Robert Frost Poem, Stopping by Woods On A Snowy Evening. It’s so lyrical, it’s wintry, it’s about loneliness, it’s got that wonderful winter life. You talk about a head full of snow and head full of snow.’

He just looked and me and thought ‘Look girl, what is she on?’ In my case, it was what am I not on! Anyway, my road to The Rolling Stones, started with The Sound Of Music and a lot of David Cassidy. So to all of the many wonderful women here, that’s where it all began. I never thought in a million years, my path would collide with theirs. The fact that it did is down to a wonderful woman mentor I had, as a very young lawyer, Marie Stacey.

“She threw a huge file at me, it weighed about a tonne, remember no digital in those days, it was called something awful, like Rolling Stones, reorganisation and corporate affairs or something. I ploughed into the thing, I thought, ‘I well bloody don’t understand a word of this,’ but one just has to plough on.

“She was the one who also introduced me to the late, great Rupert Loewenstein, I don’t know how many of you in the room remember him, he was the original business manager and original man of wealth and taste, the sort of guy who would take you out for a treat to a very, very fancy restaurant, and then send back, one after the other, three bottles of wine. I was thinking, as a prosecco woman myself, A) what a waste, and cool smiley I’ve already gunned down a lot, not realising it was corked or whatever.

“Anyway, I am truly, truly thankful for this award. I’d love to thank Bernard Doherty for being so kind as to put me forward. I will say to all the women here, it’s probably incumbent on me, as probably the oldest winner here, to offer any support and assistance that we all of us can because should all work together. There is a lot more to be done but there is so much talent in this room.

“I want to close by reminding you all of what Marie Stacey this great mentor, told me back in the ’80s and it was very good advice. She said, ‘Always, always remember, however senior you may get, you’re only as good as the team.’ I think that is a very important point. Secondly, she just said, ‘Never worry when you cock up and make a mistake. The bottom line is, you haven’t made any decisions until you’ve made a mistake. Therefore, you will learn from those mistakes and make better decisions.’

“I would add simply to that, ladies, we’ve all got to band together on this, don’t sweat the small stuff, but get across all the detail and take advice from other women who have been in the industry longer. Thank you, I am truly honoured.”

[www.musicweek.com]

Date: November 16, 2018 21:52

"Thanks Joyce for keeping us working so hard these last few years. I'm exhausted." Mick Jagger congratulating MusicWeek's Businesswoman of the Year, Joyce Smyth, Rolling Stones Manager"

[twitter.com]

Date: November 16, 2018 22:00

Thanks as always, Cristiano.

Date: November 16, 2018 22:14

My pleasure, Rocky! smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2018 18:32

filstan
jlowe
dcba
filstan

As if the Stones catalogue didn't/ doesn't make money? The Beatles keep making big $$ on multiple re-issues. Why not give loyal cash carrying fans a chance to own some remastered material from lets say for example the entirety of the Some Girls sessions, sans the senseless vocal and guitar overdubs? All of it. UC sessions, you name it. Just put it out. Re-mix concerts from the Brian early years. 1970 UK tour. The Charlie Is My Darling set was fantastic. Ya Ya's deluxe set was outstanding. The Leeds Roundhouse stuff was really great too. The fans want the material from the 60-70's. Thats' where the money is. Just put it out in better quality than the boots.

"lose your dreams and you will lose your mind"

amen

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1541
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home