Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Could we live with an intermission at a Stones show?
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 14, 2018 08:58

No

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 14, 2018 10:09

No.

Albeit, when Keith does his two songs that could be considered somewhat an intermission until Mick comes back on stage.

Date: November 14, 2018 11:19

They have a break for Mick during Keith's songs, the band intros and the little break before the encore. That will suffice..

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 14, 2018 15:08

only if it means we get about (at least) 5 more songs!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 14, 2018 21:06

virgil
I believe Crosby, Stills ,Nash & young use too take 10 to 15 minute intermissions.

Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago, David Gilmour had a break. Roger Waters the same in Hyde Park this year.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 14, 2018 23:26

I saw a Stones show with an intermission, the bomb scare show at Charlottesville in 2005. The break broke the momentum of the show, and caused the chopping of Keith's set.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outRe: Could we live with an intermission at a Stones show?
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 15, 2018 00:31

No. I always have a 10 minute intermission called Miss You. Plenty of time for a pee and to get beers >grinning smiley<

sc uk

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 15, 2018 00:51

ab
I saw a Stones show with an intermission, the bomb scare show at Charlottesville in 2005. The break broke the momentum of the show, and caused the chopping of Keith's set.

Wow A bomb scare in the city Thomas Jefferson more or less built with the creation of UVA. That city has a prestigious American history. Nice Area.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 15, 2018 01:52

tomcasagranda
No.

Albeit, when Keith does his two songs that could be considered somewhat an intermission until Mick comes back on stage.

Keith's set is NOT an intermission. Unless you consider Mick to be the only relevant member of the band. An intermission is when the entire band leaves the stage for 20 to 30 minutes and the audience can enter the corridors without missing the show. Not band intros or whatever.

The Grateful Dead and now Dead & Company has taken an intermission for decades and the show has not missed a beat.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 15, 2018 10:57

The Dead, however, are not the Stones. Should the Stones throw a 10-minute drum jam followed by a 10-minute space jam in their shows? Of course not.

The music that the Dead played in the respective sets was often very different. First set Dead was closer to straight song performances. Second set Dead was usually where the improvisational fireworks (including drums and space) happened. By breaking shows in half, the Dead seemed like their own warmup act on some nights.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 15, 2018 12:10

Could we live with an intermission at a Stones show?

Eccentric question.

Answer: Of course not.

EDIT: typing error

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-15 12:10 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 15, 2018 12:52

No!

I am always alone in a Stones crowd, somewhere in front of the band at some, but not too long distance. It would only serve to prolong the time that I would have to abstain from drinking anything to avoid the need to go to a toilet. Because if I leave my space to go to a toilet, my place would certainly have been occupied when I would try to get back. Then to what purpose should I be exposed to such an intermission?

Besides, if even the majority of those present really were to go to a toilet, we would have to stand in long lines to get our errand done.It would take a rather long time before everybody could be back. And our original places, that some of us wait for several hours to obtain, would be gone. I can't see how such an intermission could work to any good effect.

I am afraid that those who can't be without a visit to the toilet, have to do it at their own material cost. That is, to be without a couple of songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-15 12:53 by Witness.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: November 15, 2018 12:54

Intermission possible during miss you.

Date: November 15, 2018 12:56

I would say during any warhorse song.grinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 15, 2018 14:20

What a silly thread !

Next folks will asking whether, in the proposed intermission, there should be young ladies selling choc ices and the odd albatross.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 15, 2018 14:21

NO

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 15, 2018 17:31

JumpinJeppeFlash
Intermission possible during miss you.

Intermissyou...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2018 22:17

What about an intermission from life ??????

As I use to joke with my old boss …..

"Hey Steve can I have six months holiday twice a year ????"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 15, 2018 22:31

Rockman
What about an intermission from life ??????

As I use to joke with my old boss …..

"Hey Steve can I have six months holiday twice a year ????"

I thought you guys already had that down in Aussieland???grinning smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2018 22:33

….. doin' me best Al ….

Whats that old saying …

Work fascinates me I could watch it all day ……………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 16, 2018 04:30

EddieByword
Chris Fountain
An intermission for a Stones concert is a tremendous idea. Let's take sports for example, a 20 minute half-time break in most cases changes the outcome of team's performance.

Let's say the Stones during intermission determine the setlist just "doesn't feel right " They could could put the setlist on a projector and revise as necessary and discuss kinks in their performance. I recommend the intermission around the 10 song mark.

No.......

They do that mid show, on stage, ala Mick - "So long as we don't @#$%& it up - looking at Keith - Cardiff or Twickenham this year..........cool smiley

No, the concerts are fine as they are. By the way, what did "we" @#$%& up in Twickenham this year? I only remember a great "farewell" concert. Keith was a little emotional, that's all as far as I can remember smileys with beer

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: November 16, 2018 04:49

ab

I was at that show too. The break totally took the wind out of the band and the audience.
I've seen shows by acts as varied as Bruce Springsteen and Rush with breaks/intermissions. It always feels like it takes a number or two to regain the impetus: people are returning from the bar or the bog trying to get back to their seats. A Rolling Stones show maintains the head of steam all the way to Satisfaction. If the band can make it without a break then I think they should continue to do so.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 16, 2018 06:40

ElGeordie
I've seen shows by acts as varied as Bruce Springsteen and Rush with breaks/intermissions. It always feels like it takes a number or two to regain the impetus: people are returning from the bar or the bog trying to get back to their seats. A Rolling Stones show maintains the head of steam all the way to Satisfaction. If the band can make it without a break then I think they should continue to do so.

Valid points but, in today's internet world there are really no surprises, especially at a Stones show. The setlist from like the seventh song on is pretty much set in stone. You know what's coming and the second half of the show is the warhorse run for the bus medley. Maybe an intermission can create a different atmosphere. We are talking about men approaching 80 years old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-16 06:44 by The Sicilian.

Date: November 16, 2018 10:39

The Sicilian
ElGeordie

Valid points but, in today's internet world there are really no surprises, especially at a Stones show. The setlist from like the seventh song on is pretty much set in stone. You know what's coming and the second half of the show is the warhorse run for the bus medley. Maybe an intermission can create a different atmosphere. We are talking about men approaching 80 years old.

If this call for an intermission is about the band, not the audience, I don't think the setlists most of all concern the age of bandmembers, but their need of control over audience participation, given the conservative expectations of the majority of ticketbuyers.

Then I think that a concert, split in two by such an intermission, will give rise to two runs of warhorses instead of one.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home