Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: New Van Morrison Live 1968 Recording
Date: November 10, 2018 18:41

Hey, has anyone heard the new Van Morrison live 1968 show in Boston? I'd sure love to know where to find it.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Re: OT: New Van Morrison Live 1968 Recording
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 10, 2018 19:00

Uploaded very quickly to UK iTunes then taken down. I haven't seen it otherwise. Someone must have gotten it, and I assume it'll be up on a torrent soon, but I haven't seen it elsewhere yet since disappearing.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 10, 2018 23:48

Yes. It's a fair audience recording with some great versions of Cyprus Avenue, Beside You and Madame George prior to the release of Astral Weeks. TB Sheets is also great.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 11, 2018 02:15

Will be seeing him during his Vegas residency during the winter.

plexi

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 11, 2018 04:05

Just finished a book called "Astral Weeks -- a Secret History of 1968" by Ryan H. Walsh and that recording figures very prominently in the story. The author first hears of long time Morrison pal Peter Wolf having a tape which would have to be "baked." At the end of the book he mysteriously receives an incomplete digital copy -- maybe that is part of what goes on here. Anyway, Morrison I'm sure would not appreciate it being available much less for free.

Good interesting book btw.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 11, 2018 05:01

So what are some of his best bootleg shows that are available? I've always found Morrison's and Donovan's shows to be tough finds.

Date: November 11, 2018 05:06

There are loads of Van Morrison boots out there and he doesn't mind it at all any more than Dylan does. I would love to hear this 1968 show whether it's officially released or not.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Date: November 11, 2018 05:17

charlesbaudelaire
There are loads of Van Morrison boots out there and he doesn't mind it at all any more than Dylan does. I would love to hear this 1968 show whether it's officially released or not.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Have you requested it over at Hot Stuff?

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: November 11, 2018 09:29

Best audios of Van : Fillmore East 1970 ( Bill Graham mixing board) and, quite possibly the ultimate, KSAN-FM live fro Pacific High Recording Studios 1971. Van’s interpretation of Dylan’s “Just Like A Woman” you will find yourself playing over and over. As Greil Marcus writes, Van “owns” it.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 11, 2018 09:58

timbernardis

plexi

Is he there all winter,? I just love his voice.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: November 11, 2018 11:50

Tape recorded by Peter Wolf who struck up a firm friendship with Van when he was a radio DJ pre-J Geils Band

[www.bostonglobe.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 11, 2018 13:03

babyblue
timbernardis

plexi

Is he there all winter,? I just love his voice.

No. It's 5 shows at Caesar's Palace.

[www.vanmorrison.com]

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: November 13, 2018 13:58

My understanding is that it was made available and then taken down to renew the copyright protection...since it's quasi legal I'm not sure if it can be offered over at the hot stuff forum

Date: November 13, 2018 14:33

charlesbaudelaire
Hey, has anyone heard the new Van Morrison live 1968 show in Boston? I'd sure love to know where to find it.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

send me your email address

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 14, 2018 09:02

You know I feel like getting out all my Van audio boots for a listen. BTW does anyone know of a site to get his artwork for cds?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-14 11:16 by babyblue.

Date: November 14, 2018 16:45

rovalle
charlesbaudelaire

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Rovalle, my email address is w/ my name. Love Van and been hoping to find some,live boots from actually a bit later too. are you sending out info where to get it?

Date: November 15, 2018 04:01

Palace Revolution 2000
rovalle
charlesbaudelaire

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Rovalle, my email address is w/ my name. Love Van and been hoping to find some,live boots from actually a bit later too. are you sending out info where to get it?

check your mail

Date: November 15, 2018 07:30

rovalle
Palace Revolution 2000
rovalle
charlesbaudelaire

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

check your mail

Rovalle, just got in. Thanks a bunch; you're the Man. Next to Van.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 15, 2018 12:55

The Sicilian
So what are some of his best bootleg shows that are available? I've always found Morrison's and Donovan's shows to be tough finds.

These are the known soundboard recordings traded up till the IT'S TOO LATE TO STOP NOW live Album (avalaiable nowaday in four volumes):

9 March 196, Deventer, Holland, Buitensocieteit
One more time; If you and I could be as two; Gloria; Hey girl; Sad eyes; Mystic eyes.

17 July 1970 Randall’s Island, New York, Pop Festival
Come running

26 April 1970 San Francisco, Fillmore West
Moondance; Glad tidings; Crazy love; Come running; The way young lovers do; Everyone; Brown-eyed girl; And it stoned me/These dreams of you; Caravan; Cyprus avenue ; Into the mystic.

9 October 1970 San Francisco, Fillmore West
Gloria/Mystic eyes; Glad tidings; These dreams of you; And it stoned me; Crazy love; I’ve been working; Ballerina; Astral weeks; Moondance; Domino; Into the mystic; Brown-eyed girl
This is one of lost treasures, unearthed in November 2010. The tape crossed twice the Atlantic to end up in a professional studio to be transferred. Stunning longest known recording of Astral weeks (12:17). Musicians: Dave Sarlin (g); Alan Hand (kb); John Armstrong (bg); Dahaud Shaar (dr); Keith Johnson (tr); Jack Schroer (sax).

4 July 1971 San Francisco, Fillmore West
I've been working; Jam; Rock me baby; My babe; I found the love.

8 August 1971 San Anselmo/California, The Lion’s Share (early show)
Sweet thing; I wanna roo you; Tupelo honey; Que sera sera/Hound dog; These dreams of you; Let it be me; Tenessee waltz; Moonshine whiskey; Just like a woman; I've been working; Domino; Buena sera senorita.

8 August 1971 San Anselmo/California, The Lion’s Share (late show)
Sweet thing; Street choir; Tupelo honey; Que sera sera/Hound dog; When that evening sun goes down; Let it be me; Moonshine whiskey; Just like a woman; I've been working; Gloria; Buena sera senorita.
This recording of both Lion Share’s concerts from 8 August 1971, obviously taken from original reels, turned up after 43 years in February 2014. It is said to be in ‘stunning quality’.

5 September 1971 Pacific High Studios
Into the mystic; I've been working; Friday's child; Que sera, sera/Hound Dog; Ballerina; Tupelo Honey; Wild Night; Just like a woman; Moonshine whiskey; Dead or alive; These dreams of you; Call me up in dreamland; Blue money; Bring it on home; Buona sera senorita; I've been working; Caravan.

15 February 1973 San Francisco, Lion’s Share (early show)
Since I fell for you; I've been working; Into the mystic; Caravan; I just want to make love to you; Hard nose the highway; St. Dominic's preview; Hey good lookin'; Everybody's talking; Help me.

15 February 1973 San Francisco, Lion's Share (late show)
I've been working; Wild children; St. Dominic's preview; Listen to the lion; Since I fell for you; Misty; The white cliffs of Dover; Caravan; Hard nose the highway; I just want to make love to you.

11 September 1973 Dublin, RTE Studios, Talk about Pop [Van Morrison solo]
Wild children; Slim slow slider; Warm love; Drumshambo hustle; Autumn song.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 16, 2018 02:37

Can you point me in the right direction to find this. Thanks

Date: November 16, 2018 04:20

I finally have listened to it--albeit not properly. It's still floating out there, folks.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Date: November 16, 2018 06:52

saltoftheearth
The Sicilian

These are the known soundboard recordings traded up till the IT'S TOO LATE TO STOP NOW live Album (avalaiable nowaday in four volumes):

9 March 196, Deventer, Holland, Buitensocieteit
One more time; If you and I could be as two; Gloria; Hey girl; Sad eyes; Mystic eyes.

17 July 1970 Randall’s Island, New York, Pop Festival
Come running

26 April 1970 San Francisco, Fillmore West
Moondance; Glad tidings; Crazy love; Come running; The way young lovers do; Everyone; Brown-eyed girl; And it stoned me/These dreams of you; Caravan; Cyprus avenue ; Into the mystic.

9 October 1970 San Francisco, Fillmore West
Gloria/Mystic eyes; Glad tidings; These dreams of you; And it stoned me; Crazy love; I’ve been working; Ballerina; Astral weeks; Moondance; Domino; Into the mystic; Brown-eyed girl
This is one of lost treasures, unearthed in November 2010. The tape crossed twice the Atlantic to end up in a professional studio to be transferred. Stunning longest known recording of Astral weeks (12:17). Musicians: Dave Sarlin (g); Alan Hand (kb); John Armstrong (bg); Dahaud Shaar (dr); Keith Johnson (tr); Jack Schroer (sax).

4 July 1971 San Francisco, Fillmore West
I've been working; Jam; Rock me baby; My babe; I found the love.

8 August 1971 San Anselmo/California, The Lion’s Share (early show)
Sweet thing; I wanna roo you; Tupelo honey; Que sera sera/Hound dog; These dreams of you; Let it be me; Tenessee waltz; Moonshine whiskey; Just like a woman; I've been working; Domino; Buena sera senorita.

8 August 1971 San Anselmo/California, The Lion’s Share (late show)
Sweet thing; Street choir; Tupelo honey; Que sera sera/Hound dog; When that evening sun goes down; Let it be me; Moonshine whiskey; Just like a woman; I've been working; Gloria; Buena sera senorita.
This recording of both Lion Share’s concerts from 8 August 1971, obviously taken from original reels, turned up after 43 years in February 2014. It is said to be in ‘stunning quality’.

5 September 1971 Pacific High Studios
Into the mystic; I've been working; Friday's child; Que sera, sera/Hound Dog; Ballerina; Tupelo Honey; Wild Night; Just like a woman; Moonshine whiskey; Dead or alive; These dreams of you; Call me up in dreamland; Blue money; Bring it on home; Buona sera senorita; I've been working; Caravan.

15 February 1973 San Francisco, Lion’s Share (early show)
Since I fell for you; I've been working; Into the mystic; Caravan; I just want to make love to you; Hard nose the highway; St. Dominic's preview; Hey good lookin'; Everybody's talking; Help me.

15 February 1973 San Francisco, Lion's Share (late show)
I've been working; Wild children; St. Dominic's preview; Listen to the lion; Since I fell for you; Misty; The white cliffs of Dover; Caravan; Hard nose the highway; I just want to make love to you.

11 September 1973 Dublin, RTE Studios, Talk about Pop [Van Morrison solo]
Wild children; Slim slow slider; Warm love; Drumshambo hustle; Autumn song.

I wonder if DaveG caught any of these shows. Where might some hearty souls look to find these treasures? Thanks for the list.

Date: November 17, 2018 20:09

Cristiano Radtke
Yes. It's a fair audience recording with some great versions of Cyprus Avenue, Beside You and Madame George prior to the release of Astral Weeks. TB Sheets is also great.

I agree, especially "Beside You," I found myself playing it over and over last night. I must disagree with labeling it a fair audience recording. To my ears it's nothing less than very good. The bass, flute, guitar and vocals are quite clear well mixed. Granted there are cuts after each song but the audience applauds are well in front. It's a listening crowd not a rowdy one.

Date: November 17, 2018 20:20

Here is the entrance to the Catacombs club where this recording took place from a picture in 2009:

A Night At The Catacombs
By Galen Rossop

You’re walking towards the Catacombs. You climb some steps up into 1120 Boylston Street and enter the doorway of the narrow building. You walk towards the stairs on the far side of the small room. You pass an open door with a buzzing office full of people in the daytime or a closed office door at night. You go down the winding stairwell and glance into a dark seedy smoke filled pool hall on the floor below the office people. You continue on as you go down another flight of stairs to the basement below or what some people call the sub-basement.

You enter the coffee house and view a gothic wood paneled cave.
A beautiful college aged mid-eastern woman greets you. You hand her a dollar. There’s a band playing tonight.
Peggy Haddad and her BU crew are everywhere. They are helping and serving a full house of customers. This is a place to see and be seen. It’s another friendly fun filled night at the Catacombs.
The aromatic aroma of exotic coffee, tea, and spice makes you hungry for more. Plates of international cheeses with crackers and flatbread pass by. Some raspberry tarts with hot caramel chocolate and whipped cream crosses in front of you along with a tray of spiced cider and the House drink, “Catacombs Blood”.
You find your table. You’re thirsty and starving. You can’t wait to order.
You look towards the small stage on a low riser. The group’s equipment fills most of the space so that the lead singer has to push out onto the tiny dance floor for room enough to move.
A huge medieval tapestry is hung like a giant curtain behind the stage. It’s ancient and it’s hard to make out the faded images on the tapestry. The tapestry covers an opening that leads out into what had been a torch lit tunnel. It was built during the colonial period. A tangled web of passageways passes under the city of Boston. They connect a number of buildings in the surrounding area, including the Music Hall to the Catacombs.
There are a couple of tiny club spotlights and whatever the band brings for amps and lights. The Universal Underpass’s Kustom 200 watt PA is up and running again tonight. Most bands suffer when it’s removed from the coffee house to be used elsewhere.
Everybody is trying to get settled before the first set. Eat, drink, and get comfortable. Music is the reason for coming. Tonight, like most nights, it’s one featured group. The lights dim and the band begins to play.

Orphan, which became the Universal Underpass was the first House Band.
J. Geils and Van Morrison were some of the first regulars to play in rotation at the Catacombs.

Date: November 17, 2018 20:35

Donnebr
Can you point me in the right direction to find this. Thanks

Check your email

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 17, 2018 20:54

Thanks. I really appreciate it

Date: November 18, 2018 21:45

The Sicilian
Cristiano Radtke

I agree, especially "Beside You," I found myself playing it over and over last night. I must disagree with labeling it a fair audience recording. To my ears it's nothing less than very good. The bass, flute, guitar and vocals are quite clear well mixed. Granted there are cuts after each song but the audience applauds are well in front. It's a listening crowd not a rowdy one.

That's probably the main reason of why this recording is sounding good.

Date: November 29, 2018 19:40

Van Morrison’s ‘Astral Weeks’ Sideman Looks Back: ‘I Was Lucky to Be There’

Percussionist Warren Smith, who played vibes on the singer-songwriter’s jazz-steeped 1968 LP, reflects on how a routine day in the studio yielded a timeless classic

By Hank Shteamer

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 11, 2019 10:27

Has anyone seen Van play recently? I just scored a ticket to see him in Vegas at the end of the month. He's 1 of the few artists I reall like that I have never seen. I was supposed to see him open for the Stones in Vancouver but the show got rescheduled & Bonnie Raitt ended up opening. He's playing the theater at Caesar's Palace which is an excellent venue. Excited, doing a Vegas run to celebrate the birthday. Has been over a year since I've been down there. They are hurting down there & I got 3 nights at Mandalay Bay for free.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 11, 2019 15:18

Saw him this summer at an open air gig in Glasgow. Also at the same venue two years ago. He was I excellent form vocally and playing a lot of sax. His band is very tight and I thoroughly enjoyed both gigs (have seen him a few times over the years). Expect a more jazzy sound than rock and a mix of material drawn from his back catalogue and more recent albums. Plenty of crowd pleasers all the way back to Gloria and a few more obscure numbers for the purists. His take on some of the "warhorses" - including Moondance and Have I Told You Lately - is much jazzier than the originals, but some are much closer to the original arrangements. He's a world class performer still at the top of his game and I'm sure you'll enjoy the show immensely!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home