Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones (and I) in Morocco
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 10, 2018 14:24

My family are off to Morocco next week for a few weeks, so I found this that whet my appetite a little.

Anyone been?

Any recommendations?

Any sign of the Stones there any more?

Stones in Morocco

Re: The Stones (and I) in Morocco
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 10, 2018 15:05

Visit Joujouka.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 10, 2018 15:08

(the comments below the article are pretty hilarious too!)

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 10, 2018 15:32

I am reading Tony Sanchez's book right now and I can't help feel sorry for Brian Jones. Although he seemed to have been a difficult, flawed person, the group dynamics backfired on him.3 isn't a good # if you are the 1 because most likely the situation ends up being a 2 against 1 situation.

That is Charlie's view of Brian's fate and I believe Charlie's interpretation because he is a credible a witness who did not get involved in the messy triangle relationship.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 10, 2018 16:00

peoplewitheyes

Anyone been?

Been there, almost 20 years ago. Visited the whole country from north to south, east to west: Atlas Mountains, Desert, Oasis, Kasbah, Medina, Souq and so on.

Recommendation: Enjoy the very beautiful landscape.

Watch out the carpet dealers, think on Peppermint-Tea (instead of Beer) and pay always your Baksheesh. winking smiley

Saw no signs of the Stones there anymore.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 10, 2018 16:06

The Rolling Stones in Morocco 1989.

Part 1: [www.youtube.com]

Part 2: [www.youtube.com]

Part 3: [www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 10, 2018 17:38

Irix
Visited the whole country from north to south, east to west: […] Kasbah, Medina, Souq and so on.

...What exactly do you mean?

a kasbah is a building (fortress); a souk (not souq) is a marketplace; and a medina is the old part of a town -
unless, off course, you mean the city Medina; which is located in Saudi-Arabia. smoking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 10, 2018 17:42

RoughJusticeOnYa
Irix
Visited the whole country from north to south, east to west: […] Kasbah, Medina, Souq and so on.

a kasbah is a building (fortress); a souk (not souq) is a marketplace; and a medina is the old part of a town -
unless, off course, you mean the city Medina; which is located in Saudi-Arabia. smoking smiley

A souq or souk (also spelled shuk, shooq, soq, esouk, succ, suk, sooq, suq, soek) is a marketplace or commercial quarter in Western Asian, North African and some Horn African cities.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 10, 2018 17:56

Don't leave carrying Hash. I;m still sore.

Date: November 10, 2018 18:50

RoughJusticeOnYa

a kasbah is a building (fortress); a souk (not souq) is a marketplace; and a medina is the old part of a town

Exactly these things. And yeah, I know that in Morocco (French) it's Souk, but if you look it it up in English, it's Souq.

Date: November 10, 2018 19:05

Irix
RoughJusticeOnYa

a kasbah is a building (fortress); a souk (not souq) is a marketplace; and a medina is the old part of a town

Exactly these things. And yeah, I know that in Morocco (French) it's Souk, but if you look it it up in English, it's Souq.

Still don’t know where ( > what cities) you’ve been, though...?!
And why you chose to list rather generic urban terms as ‘places’ you’ve been to (ALL Moroccan cities have kasbahs, souks & medinas - well, the ones that are old enough for it, anyway; ànd preserved them, obviously.)

Puzzled by ‘Oasis’ as well, btw...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-10 19:46 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 10, 2018 19:45

Loved Morocco.

Date: November 10, 2018 19:55

RoughJusticeOnYa

Still don’t know where ( > what cities) you’ve been, though...?!

It was a round trip: Tangier, Tétouan, Meknès, Fès, Midelt, Errachidia, Erfoud, Merzouga-Desert, Zagora, Draa-Valley, Ouarzazate, Marrakesh, Casablanca, Rabat, back to Tangier.

And why you chose to list rather generic urban terms as ‘places’ you’ve been to

Because these are terms associated with Morocco and I was just too lazy to make the list of cities/places.

(Puzzled by ‘Oasis’ as well, btw...)

It means of course not Liam Gallagher's Band but an isolated area of vegetation (in the Upper Draa River Valley in the south of Morocco, near the Algerian border).

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 10, 2018 20:23

Bliss
Loved Morocco.

We all do.

Date: November 10, 2018 20:45

Irix
It means of course not Liam Gallagher's Band but an isolated area of vegetation (in the Upper Draa River Valley in Morocco).

Again: a generic term - but now that you’ve ‘located’ it: good for ya.
Never heard of it... but then again: so much to explore, so little time.

Been to the Atlas region myself; been in Marrakech obviously, in Fez, Meknez, Moulah Idris, and went skiing in Morocco once - in Ifrane...

Looking forward to do the full (west) coastline north to south, one day - that would be an almost ‘intercontinental’ trip in itself.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 10, 2018 20:59

Been there long long time ago. A nice country, but has rough drug laws then not sure of now.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 10, 2018 21:57

Go to Jajouka and stay with Bashir Attar.Son of the Master Musician.Sleep in the madrasah where Brian slept.Smoke some kif.
In Tangiers go to the Palace of Ben Abbou where the Stones recorded the pipes for Steel Wheels.
Did all this about 20 years back.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 10, 2018 22:04

babyblue
Been there long long time ago. A nice country, but has rough drug laws then not sure of now.

Interesting given the Stones connection!
Just a thought: have the drug laws had the desired effect....ie of reducing the negative results of drugs as seen in more developed countries?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 11, 2018 08:15

Was there about six years ago and visited most of the places mentioned, amazing country. Took the Marrakech Express from Rabat to Marrakech, too, well worth doing. Although inevitably touristy, there's still some amazing music to be heard and snake charmers to be dodged in the Jemaa el-Fnaa square in Marrakech. Also went to Essaouira, which is fascinating and phenomenally windy, hence surfers' paradise.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 12, 2018 15:24

RoughJusticeOnYa

Been to the Atlas region myself; been in Marrakech obviously, in Fez, Meknez, Moulah Idris, and went skiing in Morocco once - in Ifrane...

Which part of the vast Atlas Region have you been to: The Middle Atlas, The High Atlas and/or The Anti-Atlas?

You mean the town of Moulay Idriss?

Looking forward to do the full (west) coastline north to south, one day - that would be an almost ‘intercontinental’ trip in itself.

You mean a trip from Tangier down to Guerguerat? Why in the world should such a trip along a part of the northwestern coastline of Africa be intercontinental?

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: November 12, 2018 15:56

Morocco is a beautiful place, great people, food, culture.
The people are very friendly.
Although it can get very hot there, people do not wear shorts or revealing clothing, they dress conservatively.
Check out some gnawa music.
If you have questions about any specifics, ask away.

Date: November 12, 2018 19:10

dead.flowers
RoughJusticeOnYa

Which part of the vast Atlas Region have you been to: The Middle Atlas, The High Atlas and/or The Anti-Atlas? Middle

You mean the town of Moulay Idriss? Exactly - sorry, it's been a whil since I typed that name...

You mean a trip from Tangier down to Guerguerat? Yes, why not? Over even very-very south, to la Gouèra... Why in the world should such a trip along a part of the northwestern coastline of Africa be intercontinental? Because the country, a people, change - from the 'Andalucian' (some call it: 'European ') north, to the deep, more 'African ' south; just above Mauritania, same latitude as Mali, Niger. Thàt's why. (btw: I did say 'almost ', didn't I?) And whether it turns out to be as much of a trip as I'm imagining it to be, right now: well, I 'lll have to take that trip first, don't I... But almost all Moroccans that I know, that took the effort of travelling their own country, confirm my thoughts & fantasies about such a road trip. (More exactly: it's them, their stories, that made me start wondering about it.)

Date: December 31, 2018 11:32

RoughJusticeOnYa
dead.flowers
RoughJusticeOnYa

Which part of the vast Atlas Region have you been to: The Middle Atlas, The High Atlas and/or The Anti-Atlas? Middle

You mean the town of Moulay Idriss? Exactly - sorry, it's been a whil since I typed that name...

You mean a trip from Tangier down to Guerguerat? Yes, why not? Over even very-very south, to la Gouèra... Why in the world should such a trip along a part of the northwestern coastline of Africa be intercontinental? Because the country, a people, change - from the 'Andalucian' (some call it: 'European ') north, to the deep, more 'African ' south; just above Mauritania, same latitude as Mali, Niger. Thàt's why. (btw: I did say 'almost ', didn't I?) And whether it turns out to be as much of a trip as I'm imagining it to be, right now: well, I 'lll have to take that trip first, don't I... But almost all Moroccans that I know, that took the effort of travelling their own country, confirm my thoughts & fantasies about such a road trip. (More exactly: it's them, their stories, that made me start wondering about it.)

Gotta ‘edit’ myself here...

I’m in Morocco right now; and speaking to a lot of folk here, I realise that I’ve been completely unaware of what the exact, current situation of the Western Sahara was/ is. Apparently, it’s WAY too simple to just consider it ‘part of Morocco’ (like Moroccan authorities do) - never knew this is, in fact, a long-running, ongoing territorial issue/ dispute in which even the UN etc. got involved...
I just took the nation’s borders on Google Maps for granted (there you have it - that’s internet for ya. smoking smiley )

My ignorance; my bad.

Anyway: Happy New Year to all of ya; here, there, and everywhere.

Date: December 31, 2018 12:15

RoughJusticeOnYa

I just took the nation’s borders on Google Maps for granted (there you have it - that’s internet for ya. smoking smiley )

Actually it's commonly known that the Western Sahara is not really a part of Morocco: [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Date: December 31, 2018 23:58

Irix
RoughJusticeOnYa

Actually it's commonly known

You come and tell the good people of Morocco that, over here. See what’s “common”... (and don’t forget to mention ‘Wikipedia’, OK. It’ll help; I’m sure.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home