Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love Is Strong - Keith on vocals
Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: November 9, 2018 13:46

Never heard this one before - thought I share it with you
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Love Is Strong - Keith on vocals
Date: November 9, 2018 13:55

Here's 11 brilliant minutes with Keith's You Got Me Rocking, while we're at it:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 9, 2018 14:31

bernard90mike
Never heard this one before - thought I share it with you
[www.youtube.com]

Keith has that different phrasing from Jagger. They can be singing to the same instrumental track, same words, and Keith's will swing a bit more.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2018 15:11

I remember Charlie saying that he wished Keith had saved "It's a Struggle" for the Stones. Why can't the Stones play the song? I would like to hear Mick sing it. Are there legal restrictions? I do not understand.

Bruce Springsteen often plays his solo songs (recorded without E Street Band) in concerts this decade. For example, Roll the Dice, Better Days and Lucky Town, etc....

BTW I enjoy the posts of this thread!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 15:16 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2018 15:24

Thank you both of you for sharing these. For a Stones nerd like me it is always interesting to hear works in progress, and thereby wittnessing the whole creativity process of the Stones (especially that of Jagger/Richards colloboration).

Some passing thoughts:

Listening those one after other, just like years ago when listening VOODOO LOUNGE for the very first time, it strikes me how similar the songs sound like (tempo, the feel, even the whole structure to some extent). That was not something I could have never thought when listening to VOODOO LOUNGE.

For Stones songs they sound like sketches or skeletons, but had it been a Winos project in Keith's mind, with some polishing, minor over-dubs and editing, those might have sounded like final products. Something belonging naturally to MAIN OFFENDER. I can understand what Jagger means by saying about Keith's solo albums that they remind him of what Keith brings on the table for a Stones session (or something to that effect). Probably there are fans here in this site who actually prefer the songs to remain at this stage, and not that of Jagger adding his contribution there, and with Keith finishing it or developing it further, and I do see their point (and agree with them occasionally). Personally I can't say are the finished products any substantially better, but I guess I tend to like the sound of The Rolling Stones more than I do like the sound of The Winos. If nothing else it is nice to hear Jagger's voice there (and in "Love Is Strong" he sounds brilliant - interestingly managing to interpret Keith's original key phrases to fit convincingly to his mouth.).

"You Got Me Rocking" was speeded up for the final version - I can easily see Mick having a say for that. Isn't that always the thing with latter-day Stones: Mick the Rock wanting the songs go faster, and Keith the Roll slower. A good decision? I don't know, the released version sounds a bit too busy and rushed, but this one doesn't go anywhere. Probably that very key phrase "You got me ROCKING now" asked a bit uptempo... No, I don't think any any latter day Stones classic was ruined in the process no matter they had done with the song... but good that they didn't that to "Love Is Strong" (its tempo is actually one of his fascinating features, even though probably because of it they always have had difficulties to play the song live, unlike with a lesser quality song "You Got Me Rocking").

Altogether, interesting to hear pure Jagger/Richards songs in process, these two ones being so called "Keith songs".

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 15:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 9, 2018 15:29

Some great Stones tunes have come about through essentially being written by Keith with noodling lyrics which are then taken by Mick and extensively rewritten and updated. Gimmie Shelter comes to mind.

Sometimes Mick also comes up with great "Keith style" songs - Brown Sugar comes to mind

Let's hope their are some good examples on the upcoming album...

Date: November 9, 2018 15:38

I think there are examples of both. Sometimes, the unfinished versions are better (Keep Up Blues and some of the SW-tracks spring to mind).

However, LIS and YGMR really got a good makeover that improved the songs, imo.

I find it fascinating to listen to the development of their tunes as well. Some of the the early attemps are very long (the SG-tracks, Flip The Switch, YGR, for instance). We can litterally hear them searching for sweet stuff to add and trying out different things. Surprisingly, they often keep the backing tracks of many of those versions for the finished version. Then, they edit them down and do the overdubs and the final touches.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2018 15:40

DandelionPowderman
I think there are examples of both. Sometimes, the unfinished versions are better (Keep Up Blues and some of the SW-tracks spring to mind).

However, LIS and YGMR really got a good makeover that improved the songs, imo.

I find it fascinating to listen to the development of their tunes as well. Some of the the early attemps are very long (the SG-tracks, Flip The Switch, YGR, for instance). We can litterally hear them searching for sweet stuff to add and trying out different things. Surprisingly, they often keep the backing tracks of many of those versions for the finished version. Then, they edit them down and do the overdubs and the final touches.

Absolutely! Mixed Emotions is another example backing your assessment.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 9, 2018 16:05

really like the guitars and drums. yes they sound like really super well produced 'basic tracks' in a way, just sorta like the 'sound' of The Stones.
never too much warmed to this track tho like some of vl very much.
not mick's version either; i like mick as a singer and the dark sorta spoken
overly dramatic (imo) interp he laid out for the official release was
not the kind of Mick vocal I favor; the song sounds 'samey.'
which is a weird kinda call, cause i Adore some of their 'samey' stuff,
the recent silver train thread being one example.
this one doesn't really fly for me; but is keenly interesting to me
anyway, hearing K's voke approach and delivery; his more soulful,
if less 'full bodied' lead vocals (latter day) , are a pleasure to
hear laid out by the man. In the earlier going on his classic studio
lead vocals, as far back as his first dip on Between The Buttons
for a section of a song, remain fascinating and effective for me.
Whole buncha them; and most excellent wonderful harmonies too...
not this one particuarly tho a fascinating listen and thread for me. tyfor posting it.

(I think video is intense and wonderful however.
Like some huge Samarau Warriors, Godzilla proportioned Giant Monster Stones,
in Fabulous B&W, like it was always meant to be.
Only bigger than the Chrysler building and more, ahem, rolling.
well alright.
there may be a few things wrong with this post
amidst mere concrete and steel structures of little man hawww hawwwww
sure climb that beanstalk little ants and get the giant buh-lade.
If KR starts 'kicking,' millions will need affordable housing in one kickin' jiffy; that cat is swinging that big geetar and the black and wh

ooh a squirrel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 20:53 by hopkins.

Date: November 9, 2018 16:12

It certainly wouldn't have made sense for Keith to end up singing "Love is Strong" for the Stones. He pretty much had just done that on "Wicked as it Seems".

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 9, 2018 16:15

what comes to mind in hearing 'Love Is Strong' with Keith is how broad brush and loose his vocals are, but full of feeling for the song..
then Mick can edit and focus them. this then frees up Keith to edit guitar decisions..

but that harp makes it for me.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 9, 2018 16:16

This is a fun version of the song. Actually all my favorite songs from Voodoo Brew have Keith on vocals. Never thought of that before.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 9, 2018 16:28

It's just about finished, this isn't Keith noodling, pity Keith didn't keep this to himself as we could have had a Keith single from the Stones. It's about time, hoping for more Keith tracks on the new album, 3 or 4 to give it more depth and keep it interesting. Blue And Lonesome was missing Keith's vocals, one of the reasons it was so one dimensional, can't believe Keith didn't get one track of his choice to do a blues vocal.
Yeah i heard this before, sounds like Mick took the guts out of this one, certainly he didn't improve it. Keith's is potent, with more passion, stronger, and it's being driven harder imho.

Will we ever hear Keith singing One More Shot, now that would be nice, Steve Jordan had the impression Keith's version was better.

Date: November 9, 2018 16:40

keithsman
It's just about finished, this isn't Keith noodling, pity Keith didn't keep this to himself as we could have had a Keith single from the Stones. It's about time, hoping for more Keith tracks on the new album, 3 or 4 to give it more depth and keep it interesting. Blue And Lonesome was missing Keith's vocals, one of the reasons it was so one dimensional, can't believe Keith didn't get one track of his choice to do a blues vocal.
Yeah i heard this before, sounds like Mick took the guts out of this one, certainly he didn't improve it. Keith's is potent, with more passion, stronger, and it's being driven harder imho.

Will we ever hear Keith singing One More Shot, now that would be nice, Steve Jordan had the impression Keith's version was better.

Good post. But I don't think Mick took the guts out of it. Keith is a fine singer of his own style; and by doing his solo albums I think he really found his strenghts, and discovered what to use and what not etc. But he is not close to Mick, who is one of the great singers in music, one of the great interpreters, story tellers. Just on LIS, the way Mick stays low and gloomy, a bit threatening for the verses; and then opens it up for the chorus. That implied "mmm" before "what are you scared of baby" - those are class deliveries.
Its intriguing what you say about Keith doing a vocal on B&L. I had never even thought about that.

Date: November 9, 2018 17:07

Palace Revolution 2000
keithsman

Good post. But I don't think Mick took the guts out of it. Keith is a fine singer of his own style; and by doing his solo albums I think he really found his strenghts, and discovered what to use and what not etc. But he is not close to Mick, who is one of the great singers in music, one of the great interpreters, story tellers. Just on LIS, the way Mick stays low and gloomy, a bit threatening for the verses; and then opens it up for the chorus. That implied "mmm" before "what are you scared of baby" - those are class deliveries.
Its intriguing what you say about Keith doing a vocal on B&L. I had never even thought about that.

I love it when Mick does that mmm thing, the original UMT with his "ah its al right ah ah", and more recently when he gets carried away with excitement live like at Glastonbury, he makes these little screams and ahh sounds, it seems silly to miss those sort of things from his vocals but i do, it showed passion for the music.
Even when it comes to him addressing the audience, i loved his grunts and general craziness between numbers, i'm going back to 81' 82' now, i guess we all have to grow up but it's not suited to Rock lol.

On a more serious note i agree Mick did something with Love Is Strong that was strange but compelling, the lyrics hold a different meaning with that stalking style of delivery, very different from Keith's . It's not Micks vocals that take the guts out of Micks version, its just watered down with production imo.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: November 9, 2018 17:08

Voodoo Brew-Stew-Residue all show the richness of this era, musically speaking. So many gems, even with unfinished songs. And for once the mix/mastering was so natural and clean (wish the Stones would go back to it).

By the way, does anyone know the story behind such a giant leak?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 9, 2018 17:11

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Wow - never heard that before. Brilliant.

Date: November 9, 2018 17:11

GivenToFly15
Voodoo Brew-Stew-Residue all show the richness of this era, musically speaking. So many gems, even with unfinished songs. And for once the mix/mastering was so natural and clean (wish the Stones would go back to it).

I have this theory the leaks come from Keith himself.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: November 9, 2018 17:16

keithsman
GivenToFly15

Really?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 9, 2018 17:18

Doxa
Thank you both of you for sharing these. For a Stones nerd like me it is always interesting to hear works in progress, and thereby witnessing the whole creativity process of the Stones (especially that of Jagger/Richards colloboration).

Doxa

Especially when the leaked bootleg tunes are better than the final official MJ/KR-sanctioned release...
Said differently I never heard a working version of a song from the golden (68-72) era that was better than the official version, which proves that during these years the Twins' flair was unparalleled. They made NO mistakes.

Now (and it's my opinion) the release of the "Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue" around 1996/97 proved that the Twins had lost quite a fair share of their flair : they were putting 2nd rate material on the album and were putting away embryos of songs that had a great potential (like "You Got It Made").

Date: November 9, 2018 17:21

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Wow - never heard that before. Brilliant.

Once again i have to say it, the essence and catchiness of this track is taken away in the finished product. Its cool here, a simple hook, the sort of thing that makes a hit record. In a way i wish i never heard these versions because it makes me angry that they have been ruined, well not ruined but this could have been brilliant, a big hit had Mick done a better job with it, it ended up a rock chliché

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 9, 2018 17:37

wow that's great never heard that before thanks for sharing - gets you even more pumped up with a new record coming. love Keith's vocal pharsing

Date: November 9, 2018 17:37

dcba
Doxa
Thank you both of you for sharing these. For a Stones nerd like me it is always interesting to hear works in progress, and thereby witnessing the whole creativity process of the Stones (especially that of Jagger/Richards colloboration).

Doxa

Especially when the leaked bootleg tunes are better than the final official MJ/KR-sanctioned release...
Said differently I never heard a working version of a song from the golden (68-72) era that was better than the official version, which proves that during these years the Twins' flair was unparalleled. They made NO mistakes.

Now (and it's my opinion) the release of the "Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue" around 1996/97 proved that the Twins had lost quite a fair share of their flair : they were putting 2nd rate material on the album and were putting away embryos of songs that had a great potential (like "You Got It Made").

You almost said something then that would have Doxa down on me like a ton of bricks and his poodles not far behind spinning smiley sticking its tongue out.
I put it to people that Keith is still bringing his half of the songs to the table here in these rough tracks, and perhaps Mick isn't helping them along as best he can, or to their potential, certainly not to the extent of the Golden era.
I'm just saying that a bit of fairy dust from Mick could have and should have given these tracks more life, they could have been classics, maybe not as good as in the golden era, but certainly better than the competition.

Date: November 9, 2018 17:57

<I never heard a working version of a song from the golden (68-72) era that was better than the official versio>

Check out If You Can't Rock Me.

Date: November 9, 2018 18:22

DandelionPowderman

Link ?

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 9, 2018 18:25

Is there a version of IYCRM that was recorded earlier than '73, Dandee?

Date: November 9, 2018 19:11

No, but the demo version (before the final mix) is imo superior.

[youtu.be]

Date: November 9, 2018 19:12

keithsman
GivenToFly15

Ronnie's son, I heard.

Date: November 9, 2018 19:12

DandelionPowderman

It's not from the 68-72 era! Ta-dum! grinning smiley
To get back to my point GS sung by Keef, YGTSilver sung by Mick, "Goodtime Woman" or the acoustic version of "ADTline" are nice oddities but they don't hold a candle against the released versions.

While you can take the "Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue" as a working base and create an alt. VL that could be arguably better than the Stones' version.

This said I don't like the slow organ-heavy version of YGMRocking or LIStrong sung by Keef. For these 2 I'd keep the VL versions.

Date: November 9, 2018 19:15

RE "You Can't Rock Me" Nick Kent who attended some IORR sessions said that each take of these songs was worse than the previous and when a super-dire take was in the can Keef'd usually say : "that's it, that's the one! We got it!".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home