Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge In Japan
Date: November 12, 2018 17:00

falo01
DandelionPowderman
mick64
will be with vinyl CD or just DVD

The first post here, referring to the release, only says «dvd», but we don't know yet, of course. Since Eagle Rock is involved there might be a chance for a vinyl or cd-release to go with it..

on the fsk page, all releases, even miami95 or sanjose99, are listed as dvd only.
so it has no meaning. i guess it will be all formats, as usual: dvd, blu ray, vinyl and cd.

I know.

Some FTV-releases have been a dvd only release, though.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 12, 2018 18:02

DandelionPowderman

sure, but we can be sure that a TV broadcast of 1995 in japan is definetly available in HD. I would be surprised.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 12, 2018 18:25

falo01
DandelionPowderman

sure, but we can be sure that a TV broadcast of 1995 in japan is definetly available in HD. I would be surprised.

No HD in 1995...
Sadly it will be upscaled

Date: November 12, 2018 18:26

Doc
falo01
DandelionPowderman

No HD in 1995...

not full HD, but better than DVD.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 12, 2018 19:10

falo01

The colourist should have the answer what's the source material: [iorr.org] ....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 12, 2018 19:51

30 years ago in Tokyo I remember seeing quality equal to 4K, mind you that was on analogue TV. I think the real question is what type of cameras and video quality were used for this concert. The official VHS and Laserdisc source was already great. I'm hopeful this will blow everything thing else out the water from the Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 12, 2018 21:04

frankotero
30 years ago in Tokyo I remember seeing quality equal to 4K, mind you that was on analogue TV. I think the real question is what type of cameras and video quality were used for this concert. The official VHS and Laserdisc source was already great. I'm hopeful this will blow everything thing else out the water from the Voodoo Lounge.
I think your recollection might be a bit clouded by three decades...there's no way anything even approaching 4K was available back then.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 12, 2018 21:09

Somebody is banned in google and wikipedia winking smiley
[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: November 12, 2018 21:23

keefriff99
frankotero
I think your recollection might be a bit clouded by three decades...there's no way anything even approaching 4K was available back then.

True, but also true that Tokyo90, even on VHS, had amazing quality for an analog video. And true that a perfect Tokyo95 would be the top quality of all VL shows.
Tokyo90 was already better than DVD quality, I suppose it was a 1280*720 SD version. I hope for that, or better, for 1995.

Date: November 12, 2018 21:52

keefriff90, believe what you want. I have a good memory about things that impress me deeply. Also, I would like to say that I've seen movies on VHS that are superior to some DVDs. Plus there's trickery about upscaling video that isn't true HD, even from things taped in 2018. I'm not a video doctor or anything but I like to think I can notice high quality when I see it. Let's wait until this video is released before we pass judgement is my thought.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 13, 2018 01:31

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question...and aybe it's already been asked...I've been absent....

Anybody know if Voodoo Lounge Uncut will be released in the large hardback book edition? I think the books are approx 12"X12". Sweet SUmmer Sun, Havana Moon and some other were released in this format,

Thanks for any help.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 13, 2018 02:06

sweet neo con
Not sure if this is the best thread for this question...and aybe it's already been asked...I've been absent....

Anybody know if Voodoo Lounge Uncut will be released in the large hardback book edition? I think the books are approx 12"X12". Sweet SUmmer Sun, Havana Moon and some other were released in this format,

Thanks for any help.
Yes. Japanese Superdeluxe
DVD
SD Blu-ray
2CD
3LP
3LP(color red)
T-shirt
It is already out.
[store.universal-music.co.jp]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2018 02:13

I confess that I copied that Tokyo show to my Sony Mini DV tape at the TV station's studio in 1995 for my own perks.
I believe the statute of limitations has run out.smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 13, 2018 02:30

frankotero
keefriff90, believe what you want. I have a good memory about things that impress me deeply. Also, I would like to say that I've seen movies on VHS that are superior to some DVDs. Plus there's trickery about upscaling video that isn't true HD, even from things taped in 2018. I'm not a video doctor or anything but I like to think I can notice high quality when I see it. Let's wait until this video is released before we pass judgement is my thought.
I'm not trying to insult you...I have no doubt it was excellent video quality, but 4K is a digital format that was simply impossible to achieve back then.

Date: November 14, 2018 12:45

keefriff99, I understand it's a big claim to make about 4K being available 30 years ago, I don't blame you. If you read my message closely you would notice I said on an analogue TV, that makes a big difference I think. Also very few videos could have been in this quality back then, but of course in the shops they showed the best possible. That's what I saw and to my memory it was as clear and sharp as 4K. Also something else worth mentioning. When I lived there I drove a 15 year old Fairlady Z that had options not available in American market cars for around 20 years. Point is there was superior technology in Japan then. I don't know if it's the same these days though. Cheers!

Posted by: colourist ()
Date: November 20, 2018 12:26

Source is 525 I’m afraid .

falo01
Doc
falo01
DandelionPowderman

No HD in 1995...

Date: November 20, 2018 19:39

frankotero
keefriff99, I understand it's a big claim to make about 4K being available 30 years ago, I don't blame you. If you read my message closely you would notice I said on an analogue TV, that makes a big difference I think. Also very few videos could have been in this quality back then, but of course in the shops they showed the best possible. That's what I saw and to my memory it was as clear and sharp as 4K. Also something else worth mentioning. When I lived there I drove a 15 year old Fairlady Z that had options not available in American market cars for around 20 years. Point is there was superior technology in Japan then. I don't know if it's the same these days though. Cheers!

30 years ago, It probably would have been 1125/60 aka HiVision that you saw. I know ... I worked on projects ( not stones sadly ) shot with it in the late 80s/early 90s. It was very bleeding edge and really just experimental . FYI The Japanese had some HD transmissions from the mid/late 80s .... broadcast from satellite .

They love pushing the tech envelope and have been pushing the adaption of 8k for the last few years ! No one actually makes any content yet but they’re always at the broadcaster trade shows !

One more thing ... someone mentioned Tokyo 90.

To set the record straight it’s also 525/60.
Shot on 1”c format and betacam. No HD or 720 ..... sorry to disappoint winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-20 20:01 by colourist.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 20, 2018 20:50

colourist

30 years ago, It probably would have been 1125/60 aka HiVision that you saw.

I saw this Japanese Hi-Vision too nearly 30 years ago as a Demo at an Electronics Fair. It was quite impressive in comparison with an standard 80's Color-TV, especially with VHS. The 16:9 Hi-Vision Demo looked at that time like nowadays 4K and hence the memory that it was as clear and sharp as 4K.

Date: November 20, 2018 21:14

Yes .. very short story ....

The HD tube cameras were so sharp that a drama I was working on (in 1989!)had to stop shooting while they redid all the sets and change the make up as you could see all the flaws that were ‘ahem’ invisible in standard definition !

Technically , the ‘leap’ to 4K isn’t at all as big visually as SD to HD ... I work in both standards and on a normal screen there isn’t much in it to be honest !

8k however is v. lovely smiling smiley

Irix
colourist

30 years ago, It probably would have been 1125/60 aka HiVision that you saw.

I saw this Japanese Hi-Vision too nearly 30 years ago as a Demo at an Electronics Fair. It was quite impressive in comparison with an standard 80's Color-TV, especially with VHS. The 16:9 Hi-Vision Demo looked at that time like nowadays 4K and hence the memory that it was as clear and sharp as 4K.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 21, 2018 01:33

Analog Hi-Vision was stunning.
Argentine vs Italy - World Cup Italy 1990 semi finals - was striking example.

I remember NHK=Japan Broadcasting Corporation used Hi-Vision cameras in the news coverage of the Stones in 1990.

Date: November 21, 2018 01:53

Colourist, thank you for your input. In hindsight it was very impressive. Also I do remember some broadcast being in HD in that time. And I remember the ability of some programs being available in English with the flip of a switch. Probably people won't believe that either. We had this on some boom boxes and I think the expensive TVs had it too. Japan is a special memory for me, in 1988 I married "My Woman From Tokyo".

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 23, 2018 22:50

I have the DVD of this concert, Tokyo, I do not think it's official, but it's long since I bought it and I do not remember where I bought it, the quality is still much better than the official DVD, even the concert is much more in my opinion beautiful. NTSC video, digital dolby audio. This is what is reported.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 24, 2018 01:15

Does 8k reach the limit of how well the human eye can see?

colourist
8k however is v. lovely smiling smiley

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:07

will have the same formats as the uncut voodoo lounge Miami 94 including color vinyl

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:22

If it comes from the same people at Eagle who (didn’t) mix VL Uncut, we are in for another disaster...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 1, 2018 20:47

Hi GivenToFly15 - I assume you are a Pearl Jam fan -I apologize if I am way off base, but anyway I love given to fly by PJ and Mike's intro part and stones parts are awesome. We moved to pacific nortwest in 2016 and I bought all of PJ albums and have learned about 50 songs on guitar. I love the fact that they use different guitar voicings up and down fretboard on many of their songs.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:48

any update about this one ? date release?

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 21:24

OpenG
Hi GivenToFly15 - I assume you are a Pearl Jam fan -I apologize if I am way off base, but anyway I love given to fly by PJ and Mike's intro part and stones parts are awesome. We moved to pacific nortwest in 2016 and I bought all of PJ albums and have learned about 50 songs on guitar. I love the fact that they use different guitar voicings up and down fretboard on many of their songs.

Hi OpenG! Yes, I'm a PJ fan too. I do love the guitars (I think Eddie's voice is slowly disappearing unfortunately), especially Mike of course (a big Rolling Stones fan too as you know). I hope you enjoy your PJ albums! Don't miss the official bootlegs...

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: January 2, 2019 20:16

any update?????

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: January 3, 2019 13:32

Can’t wait for this one. Got two of my favorite stones moments in it.

Funny one where Keith accidently hits Ronnie in the head while doing his trademark slongback with his arm, and him and Darryl having a laugh about it.

And musically in Jumping jack Flash where Keith is soloing and perfectly building up to when the horns come in. Gives me goose bumbs everytime.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1427
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home