Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Prodical Son & You Got to Move 1969 MSG
Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: November 9, 2018 00:26

Have seen various tunings for these 2 songs (open E , D & C ) however in 1969 at MSG Keith does not change guitars or retune.
Anybody know what key he played them in ?

Re: Prodical Son & You Got to Move 1969 MSG
Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: November 9, 2018 01:04

Open D

Date: November 9, 2018 02:27

I'm pretty sure Keith plays an acoustic in open E for Prodigal Son and then switches to a resonator (which sounds quite poor imo) tuned to open C for You Gotta Move. There's photos out there of him playing both at the MSG show so i'm pretty sure that's what he did. It also just sounds like two completely different guitars.

Date: November 9, 2018 12:56

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
I'm pretty sure Keith plays an acoustic in open E for Prodigal Son and then switches to a resonator (which sounds quite poor imo) tuned to open C for You Gotta Move. There's photos out there of him playing both at the MSG show so i'm pretty sure that's what he did. It also just sounds like two completely different guitars.

He plays the national steel on both songs, which are in open D, as shown on the Get Yer Ya Yas Out-dvd.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 9, 2018 14:18

If I remember correctly, Bill Wyman wrote that Keith's acoustic were poorly tuned at that times. I tend to think the same and understand why the tracks added in the 2009 YaYa reissue were not in the original release.

Date: November 9, 2018 14:34

djgab
If I remember correctly, Bill Wyman wrote that Keith's acoustic were poorly tuned at that times. I tend to think the same and understand why the tracks added in the 2009 YaYa reissue were not in the original release.

On the Ya Yas-dvd they finish Prodigal Son early, because of Keith's hopelessly out of tune-guitar smiling smiley

Date: November 9, 2018 14:38

They are both in Open D.
Maybe what is throwing Nevermakeasaintofme is that in some MSG recordings the speed must be different. Because "Move" will be in Open D, but "Prodigal" sounds like Open Eb. If you go and check in other '69 tour shows "Prrodigal" is always in Open D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home