Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Guitar Center is back
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 8, 2018 17:34

Encouraging news, I guess, especially considering the guitar is the driving sound of the Stones (and many other bands/performers). One can only hope there's a future Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, KR, and so on out there, picking up a guitar to carry on the sound of rock/rock'n'roll/blues/etc.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: Guitar Center is back
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: November 8, 2018 18:02

There are actually a ton of people out there picking up a guitar and trying to emulate their hero's, unfortunately the mechanism to support this kind of thing has vanished. There are no more advances from record companies, there are no promoters within record companies to help spread the word. Yes, there is the internet to try to replace this, but the whole model of music promotion is gone for all except the winners of Idol or some other kind of talent show.

There will never be another KR or SRV or Jimi. We were lucky to be there when it happened.

Date: November 8, 2018 18:59

I don't know...no musician I know would be caught dead in that meat market. Awful place.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 8, 2018 19:10

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't know...no musician I know would be caught dead in that meat market. Awful place.

Totally agree. Any question I have for the sales people they never have the answer. A clueless bunch.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 8, 2018 19:18

I think there needs to be a bigger emphasis on music curriculum beginning in elementary school . For example a school district is having budgetary issues one of the first places they cut is funding for the arts . Outrageous , as IMHO learning the appreciation for music enhances a students learning experience and actually pays dividends in the student wanting to explore the joy of learning an instrument and thus opening the students mind to so much more wonderful experiences in life . I know because that is exactly what happened to me when I first learned the violin and then the cello and eventually in high school the guitar . I still have a strong appreciation of classical music for orchestral music and opera . Nothing beats the fine arts !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2018 19:43

I used to go there occasionally to look around and get strings, etc. when I was a teen in the late '70's. I remember the condescending holier than thou vibe of some of the "expert" employees - almost intimidating...
You might know the type - the Van Halen wannabes who went to guitar institute of technology ...dirtbags... When I'd pick up a guitar to play, they would basically grab it from me and talk about the neck or whatever, and then start showing off all their fancy tricks...and I was supposed to be impressed...eye rolling smiley...haha.

Date: November 8, 2018 19:46

The one in my neck of the woods is okay for a quick set of strings or a pedal or a stand , stuff like that and the staff is okay as not really nagging . As far as there selection of stringed instruments goes - garbage .

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 8, 2018 20:11

Last Time I was at a Guitar Center - My former employer bought me a Gibson standard acoustic as a going away present always have great memories of hanging out with staff and playing the guitars .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 8, 2018 20:16

Good.
Now do Tower Records cool smiley

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: November 8, 2018 21:23

For the most part I've had good experiences there, but the thing I really wish they'd fix is "more accessible inventory." If, for example, I'd like to try a ES-339, not only are my chances of finding one in store anywhere effectively zero, but if I did happen upon a store which had one, it would be three levels up on a rack, requiring me to trouble a non-existent sales person to get it down. It should not be this hard, especially as the experience of playing a guitar is what often tips you over the edge toward buying it.

My primary guitar (and my favorite instrument I've ever owned) is one which caught my eye in a store, I plugged into an amp, and 15 minutes later I walked out with. I wasn't in the market for one, particularly, but once I'd picked it up I realized I was never going to be able to put it down. Guitar Center *can* be great for that sort of discovery, but currently they seem to think the guitars people want to walk in and play are Squires and Ibanezes.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 9, 2018 04:27

These were great. They should get back to it.

The Cult - Embers
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 9, 2018 06:21

My husband asked if he could have his guitar set up after he bought it. The sales guy said yes and pointed to some 20 year old with a little work bench against one of the walls. I don't think so.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 9, 2018 10:01

In this day & age we need to be thankful for any shop/store that you can walk into, try a guitar & buy it.

I've never understood how folks can buy a guitar mail order without picking it up & playing it...but that's how most guitars are sold these days, just like everything else.

Bricks & mortar shops today have just become showrooms for the cheaper online retailers. That's why they're dying.

Not much we can do about it unless we find the will to pay that bit more for the real shop experience and stop buying cheaper online .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 10:02 by Spud.

Date: November 9, 2018 13:21

Spud
In this day & age we need to be thankful for any shop/store that you can walk into, try a guitar & buy it.

I've never understood how folks can buy a guitar mail order without picking it up & playing it...but that's how most guitars are sold these days, just like everything else.

Bricks & mortar shops today have just become showrooms for the cheaper online retailers. That's why they're dying.

Not much we can do about it unless we find the will to pay that bit more for the real shop experience and stop buying cheaper online .
That is exactly right because the last 4 guitars I purchased I found online and then thru conversations on the phone with the shops I made my purchases and were talking high end instruments and with the stores reputation and the return policy and with the instrument being set up to my preferences with the exception of the most recent one purchased was a guitar lust in a bad way(it truly is the most beautiful piece of wood in appearance and tone ) and the one man jerk store I had to deal with and his 3% fee for me daring to use plastic to pay for it and the horrendous pickups that squealed like so bad and they had to be ripped out along with the wiring harness , everything has worked out for me and I felt guilty because I shopped at this one man jerk store because the one major shop in NYC that has been servicing my instruments which I have to box them up and UPS them there for service as I have one there now getting work done has been the best and because I have already made a high end purchase from them where they chopped money off and I was told that my savings would even be better on the next purchase and they hardly charge me anything for work being done on my guitars have made it very clear to me that they want me as a customer and are quite willing to accommodate all of my needs with service and pricing .That is exactly what it is all about in todays economy where good shops want your business and will give the white glove treatment and really court you for your $ which IMHO negates having to shop at the likes of Guitar center with the exception of strings , picks, stands, cables, and pedals . So it is very important when shopping online and thru the phone to do your homework , know what you want in features , don't be afraid to ask questions and barter or negotiate because they will (don't be nasty about it and don't expect to cut the price in half ) but there is wiggle room and don't forget the return policy which you will have to pay for shipping and it usual is 24-48 hours it is well worth it and the more knowledge and facts you have lead to the consumer making a better informed choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 21:38 by TheGreek.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home