Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Are Stones Concerts Too Loud ?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 7, 2018 16:39

I have been to a few concerts in my life, maybe twenty total, spread out over a number of years. Just a few weeks ago, I saw Elton John put on a dazzling performance at the KFC YUM ! Center, an indoor arena. Having seen the Eagles and Rod Stewart there not too long ago, I expected a reasonable volume level. The music was so loud at the Elton John concert that my entire body seemed to be vibrating at one point and I am now just getting over a ringing in my ears.

I realize that technology has allowed us to have very loud music, but what is the point of having it very, very loud ? At that level, the singer's lyrics can not be heard well, and often the drums and bass drown everything else out.

I cannot believe that I am not the only person who wishes that the technicians would turn down the d--- volume !

Please comment.

Re: Are Stones Concerts Too Loud ?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 7, 2018 16:42

I've actually found that the volume has decreased at larger arena/stadium shows in a lot of cases, and the sound is much clearer.

I've been to too many shows without adequate ear protection, but I've been wearing high-end plugs lately that work quite well.

I admit part of me misses getting blasted in the face at full volume (particularly at hard rock/metal shows) but I can't risk my hearing.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 7, 2018 16:42

Concerts no. Movie Theaters? Yes.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 7, 2018 16:45

In my experience if it's loud enough to hear people around you talk, that's exactly what they will do.

Date: November 7, 2018 16:49

What? They aren't near loud enough.

Date: November 7, 2018 16:56

No. They got the best sound equipment there is - hence they don't need to crank it up to let us hear all the details.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 7, 2018 17:05

Chris Fountain
Concerts no. Movie Theaters? Yes.

Totally.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 7, 2018 17:19

The loudest show I witnessed were ACDC
Motorhead, Metallica and Iron Maiden close behind.
Stones are IMO well-balanced - not too loud but loud enough
I always take ear plugs but the Stones shows are the almost only ones where I dont use them.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: November 7, 2018 17:36

Rotterdam '73 was very loud. The Hague '76 -in the middle of the Malieveld - not so loud.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 7, 2018 17:49

Turn that up. I like that.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 7, 2018 17:56

Keith Richards in Ahoy in 1992 was the loudest show I ever been to. I had ringing in my ears for days, and I think I lost from frequencies then.

Mathijs

Date: November 7, 2018 18:13

Doc
I always take ear plugs but the Stones shows are the almost only ones where I dont use them.

Motorhead
KISS (club)
Faith No More
Ramones
Cheap Trick
Morris Day & The Time (no kidding)

Rolling Stones never loud enough

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2018 18:46

Loudest - maybe Deep Purple reunion at Long Beach arena '85...especially Blackmore's guitar solo showcase which was extremely loud.
Spiritualized at El Rey Theater 2001 - mainly during the cacophony of psychedelic sensory overload of strobe lights and wailing feedback. Other parts of the show might rank as the quietest where you could hear a pin drop.
And Black Rebel Motorcycle Club opening for the above - nonstop loudness to the point of being annoying. And lots of punk shows in small venues were quite loud back in the day - X comes to mind.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 7, 2018 18:59

Yeah..and my wife is too sexy.
Jeroen

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 7, 2018 19:11

corriecas
Yeah..and my wife is too sexy.
Jeroen

smileys with beer

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: November 7, 2018 19:15

If you think it´s too loud you start to be old:-)
In the 80ties it was all much louder.
And everybody smoked cigarettes everywhere!!!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 7, 2018 19:31

No. I have been in the pit four times on the No Filter tour and it was fine.

plexi

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 7, 2018 19:43

Motörhead each time I saw them were definitely the loudest though it was clubs each time. Ears ringing for 2 days afterwards.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 7, 2018 19:57

Doc

I have to agree that I can't remember seeing a louder band than AC/DC....especially during the Black Ice tour....

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 7, 2018 19:59

I am getting the impression that those who want the music cranked up louder are younger people, say, younger than 40. And maybe those who want the volume at lower levels are 40 and older.

jenyk said that if you think it is too loud you start to be old. Does that mean that if you continue to attend very loud concerts, you will forever remain young, and never grow old. You could end up old and hard of hearing.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 7, 2018 20:02

Loud but that's how I like it. So too loud? No.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 7, 2018 20:11

No. No worries.

I have never been to any show where the Stones sound has been extreme, except for these two shows:

Sports Palace, Prague (extremely loud)
Hardford Arena (only one time out of several at that venue)

Still, if you feel ringing or your ears are blocked one hour or more after the show is over, then you hearing in the danger zone, and you should avoid loud noise, and start wearing earplugs at all shows.

Remember hearing is subjective. If you shoot guns without proper hearing protection, then you will have a permanent hearing loss, and you MUST carry protection at all shows, to preserve what is remaining of your damaged hearing. Also, if you work with high pitch machines like chainsaw, drill or similar at work, the samme applies. You will not hear what Mick is saying on stage, and you will not hear grasshoppers late summer, but you will always hear Keith riffs and Darryl, that's the good news.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-07 20:13 by bv.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 7, 2018 20:15

flilflam
I am getting the impression that those who want the music cranked up louder are younger people, say, younger than 40. And maybe those who want the volume at lower levels are 40 and older.

jenyk said that if you think it is too loud you start to be old. Does that mean that if you continue to attend very loud concerts, you will forever remain young, and never grow old. You could end up old and hard of hearing.
I have several family members with some degree of hearing loss, and not necessarily from loud music.

There's nothing cool about it. Protect your ears!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 7, 2018 20:16

I'm 57...started attending concerts when I was around 13 which was mid 70s....sound systems were temperamental and losing the sound from a stack or Pa was common place, especially at outdoor gigs and festivals. My earliest experience of seriously loud concerts was Hawkwind and Motorhead....then I saw AC/DC and that took it to another level and I'm not exaggerating when I say I had ringing in my ears for 4 days!

I've been lucky enough to see the Stones on every UK/European tour since 1976 and never once thought they were too loud...obviously it depends where you are standing or sitting, but generally I've been fairly close to the front in all but one show. Certainly in recent years they have been tame volume wise, but the sound quality is improved as you'd expect it to.

We are in danger of taking the rock n roll out of music...no smoking, having to sit at some shows, curfews, etc etc...it will soon be a sterile experience with crowds concentrating more on their phone filming than watching the show.

My advice is if you don;t like it loud...sit or stand further back or wear ear plugs ( a strange carry on in itself) personally I like to feel the vibrations running through my body and taking me to that higher place!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 7, 2018 20:37

TheflyingDutchman
Rotterdam '73 was very loud. The Hague '76 -in the middle of the Malieveld - not so loud.

My two concerts in Gothenburg on the same day in October 1973 quite loud as well.

When the bus passed the border between Sweden and Norway on my return after the second concert, my ears were ringing.

Date: November 7, 2018 21:00

flilflam

Just turned 45 and been to maybe 1500-2000 gigs. I prefer it LOUD (with earplugs) so I am not distracted by morons talking about their cats, their laundry or whatever so I can focus on hearing the music.

I go to every kind of concert, and this is the WORST at classic rock shows.

Date: November 7, 2018 22:01

Sometimes it is loud but the sound system is great so i dont think it is a bad kind of loud.

Motorhead and the cult loudest shows i have ever seen. Cult as warmup for the who. Think they were 2x as loud.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 7, 2018 22:05

WHAT WAS THE QUESTION AGAIN????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 7, 2018 22:10

AC/DC, VH, Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Aerosmith all loud shows but the loudest I've heard was KISS in 96 and 97 on their reunion tour. Not distorted but just very loud.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 7, 2018 22:22

Mathijs
Keith Richards in Ahoy in 1992 was the loudest show I ever been to. I had ringing in my ears for days, and I think I lost from frequencies then.

Same for me and it didn't help that I had seen Ministry on their legendary "Psalm 69" tour a month before. Ouch...
The sad part with the Keef show was the music got pretty boring after the first 45 minutes and the 130dB assault added to the unpleasentness of the whole thing.

The good side of this sonic debacle is it gave you a glimpse of what it felt like to see the Stones in 72 (where they probably played as loud... but less long!). grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-07 22:23 by dcba.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home