Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

First US tours - 1964/65 - Were You There?
Posted by: VoodooAllie ()
Date: November 2, 2018 22:12

I suspect this topic has been discussed previously, so I’d be grateful for any assist linking me those earlier threads. My first RS concert was not until 1975. Consequently, I would love to hear from members of this board who were around when the Rolling Stones first toured America! Such heady times, the 60’s! Any & all impressions/memories appreciated! Peace/love/allie

Re: First US tours - 1964/65 - Were You There?
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 2, 2018 23:14

There was a member who either was there or spoke to someone who was at their first show in San Antonio dieting their first visit to the States...they posted pictures of the band onstage and off...even got their autographs.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 2, 2018 23:46

Interesting question, again. I saw the band in '69, but have only met one person who saw them earlier. It was in Sacramento the night Keith got zapped. I have only met one person who attended Altamont. She told me she was way back on a hill and had no idea what was going on in front of the stage.

I remember sitting in the audience at the Forum in '69 waiting and waiting for the band to take the stage and wondering what exactly I was going to see. It sounds odd, but the band was a mystery to me. It had not toured in 3 years. I knew no one who had seen them. There were reports of danger and rioting at some European shows. They were in the news for this and that. Probably the biggest exposure was on TV. But radio playing-wise it had a low profile in '67-'69, then a high impact smash single would be released, JJF, HTW, etc. Then you had the new lead guitarist angle.

In any event, if you thought '69 was a nice, intimate tour the earlier ones must have been something. I'd like to hear about them too.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 3, 2018 00:40

Saw them in Baltimore in 1965 and 1966 at the Baltimore Civic Center. Like many shows at the Civic Center, I remember the sound system was not really great so you could barely hear the Stones from the halfway point of the arena to the back wall.
I may have a tour book from one of these shows packed away somewhere along with some other Stones related stuff from back then. Hard to believe I have these things after all these years.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 3, 2018 04:26

I have a cousin who saw her first Stones concert in 1966 .... and her second Stones concert in 2015.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2018 12:59

tatters
I have a cousin who saw her first Stones concert in 1966 .... and her second Stones concert in 2015.

Wow, that is a huge gap- any particular reason? Thanks for the post.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 3, 2018 13:16

I first saw them in May of '65 in Clearwater, Florida, it was a Thursday night, they had just been on Ed Sullivan on Sunday night playing Little Red Rooster. They only played four songs, I think, some trouble with male members of the audience heckling them because their girlfriends were so into them!smiling smiley The 2nd time I saw them was at the West Palm Beach International Pop Festival on Thanksgiving weekend(often mistakenly called the Miami Pop Festival.) It was the final show on their '69 tour(Altamont was added hastily afterwards.) The band was several hours late, the story was their plane broke down in Boston, they came on at 4:30 on Monday morning!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 3, 2018 17:50

My wife saw the taping of the TAMI show.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 3, 2018 18:08

My cousin was at their first U.S. show at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino in '64...she always tells the story of how she was sitting up close and Bill gave her the "OK" sign. She also saw The Beatles later that summer.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: November 4, 2018 05:44

Did anyone see them in NC, November 1965? I believed they played Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro.

Here is an article on the first show in Raleigh.

[www.newsobserver.com]

Cheers smileys with beer

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 4, 2018 14:49

Chris Fountain
tatters

Wow, that is a huge gap- any particular reason? Thanks for the post.

I think she's really more of a Beatles fan. Come to think of it, the first time I ever heard All Things Must Pass was when I found it in her collection and played it on her stereo.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: November 4, 2018 15:52

Hey Allie,nice to hear from you again...Stonesdoug saw'm in 66 in Atlantic city....hope all is well with you...cheers...

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 4, 2018 17:40

A friend's sister saw them in 1966. She said the show was great, but the only detail she gave was that Mick's trousers were tight and that he had a big one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2018 20:24

WOW!!!!! ..…… what can one say ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 4, 2018 23:16

blivet
A friend's sister saw them in 1966. She said the show was great, but the only detail she gave was that Mick's trousers were tight and that he had a big one.

well she obvously can't read

Posted by: VoodooAllie ()
Date: November 5, 2018 17:07

Thank you ALL for your insights! I'm vicariously living that cool era through your posts! Many Thanks! You Rock! allie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1292
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home