Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Willie McCovey
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 1, 2018 08:53

Anyone here who was a fan of baseball in the 60s and 70s will remember a true superstar of the game in Willie "Stretch" McCovey of the San Francisco Giants, passed away Wednesday at age 80. Very humble man and great Hall of Fame ballplayer and beloved in the Bay Area and nearby environs. I mean, this man was a TRUE superstar, not like the "superstars" of today who don't have that kind of aura and pale in comparison. I grew up a Giants fan in nearby Sacramento and this is devastating for me. A part of my childhood is gone. RIP # 44.

[www.espn.com]

plexi

Re: OT: RIP Willie McCovey
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 1, 2018 12:05

R.I.P. Willie McCovey . A good story about how the game used to played -When it was a Game . Cards playing the Giants on the hill for the Cards ace Bob Gibson and I can't remember which Willie was at the plate (either Mays or McCovey and the Willie who I think it was Mays on the on deck circle is trying to peak at what pitch Gibson is throwing , so Gibson sees this and fires one over the head of Mays in the on deck circle and yells to him "wait your turn " upon which Mays steps into the batters box and gets plunked on the first pitch . That's when Baseball was a game ! R.I.P. Willie McCovey

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 1, 2018 20:26

Drysdale and McCovey...the same thing. Drysdale would get him out for a while, then McCovey would hit a couple home runs, then get plunked on the hip or in the back and the cycle repeated.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2018 20:34

Sad, and even though he was a member of the "enemy" team up north for much of his career, he was always an inspiration.
Fortunate to have a couple of his baseball cards I collected back in the day as a young fan and card collector, one of which he graciously signed for me.

RIP Willie, thanks for the memories.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 1, 2018 21:07

Sad. He was a constant presence at AT&T Park, showing up on the field for pregame festivities for significant events. It couldn't have been easy with his problems of the past several years. My earliest childhood memories include hearing Lon Simmons announcing the Mays/McCovey Giants on the radio. One of the GOATs of the game.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 1, 2018 23:12

Was at his final game ever in July 1980 at Dodger Stadium (he announced he would be retiring at the All-Star break)...he had a pinch-hit sacrifice fly to knock in a run and everyone gave him a rousing standing ovation, prompting him to come back out of the dugout for a curtain call. RIP Stretch.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 1, 2018 23:28

Hairball
Sad, and even though he was a member of the "enemy" team up north for much of his career, he was always an inspiration.
Fortunate to have a couple of his baseball cards I collected back in the day as a young fan and card collector, one of which he graciously signed for me.

Being clear across the country from you, we also enjoyed getting McCovey in a pack of cards.

Willie is loved by fans of any team. Very cool you got meet him.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 1, 2018 23:43

My second favorite player behind the other Willie.sad day for giant fans like myself

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 2, 2018 02:33

I was thinking about him recently ... I was thinking that it's sad that Mays & McCovey might die soon without any documentary specials on them, with interviews, etc. I know there have been some on Mays, but nothing recent that I am aware of. And McCovey always seemed to have a backseat to Mays, but was certainly a feared hitter (I think he was intentionally walked 40+ times in one season!)

Don't forget the other oldie Giants greats ... Orlando Cepeda and Juan Marichal!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 2, 2018 11:55

I as well have my Topps baseball cards and have several Willie McCovey cards , remember the gum ? The best documentary that would have stories and highlights would still be Ken Burns Baseball documentary .

Date: November 3, 2018 11:16

Hairball

Damn u Hairball, I am jealous. Why should a Dodger fan get a Willie Mac autograph? I did see him play several times as a kid growing up. Counting as precious every year we still have the Say Hey Kid Willie Mays. He's 86 now but still of strong mind and body.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-03 11:17 by timbernardis.

Date: November 3, 2018 11:18

timbernardis
Hairball

Damn u Hairball, I am jealous. Why should a Dodger fan get a Willie Mac autograph and not me? I did see him play several times as a kid growing up. Counting as precious every year we still have the Say Hey Kid Willie Mays. He's 86 now but still of strong mind and body.

plexi

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 8, 2019 16:24

Now Frank Robinson! Another legend, MVP in both leagues, Triple Crown winner, and the first black manager in MLB!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 8, 2019 18:51

LeonidP
Now Frank Robinson! Another legend, MVP in both leagues, Triple Crown winner, and the first black manager in MLB!

I remember being into him as a little kid. RIP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home