Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: "Performance: The 50th Anniversary" - out December 1
Date: December 6, 2018 05:10

rebelrebel
35love
Oh funny you guys are funny!

I try to monitor what goes into my head. What am I doing here indeed, ha ha ha
One day I’ll watch it.

Oh you gotta see it. It's Mick at his absolute best.

Agreed. It is not an easy film. It has depth. That is why you got people like Rocky and Rockman still talking about it 50 years later. I think someone tuning in waiting to see Mick in the buff, and hopping around may be disappointed. well, you do get that, just not in the way you expect it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 6, 2018 12:36

Palace Revolution 2000
rebelrebel
35love
Oh funny you guys are funny!

I try to monitor what goes into my head. What am I doing here indeed, ha ha ha
One day I’ll watch it.

Oh you gotta see it. It's Mick at his absolute best.

Agreed. It is not an easy film. It has depth. That is why you got people like Rocky and Rockman still talking about it 50 years later. I think someone tuning in waiting to see Mick in the buff, and hopping around may be disappointed. well, you do get that, just not in the way you expect it.

If I tuned in just to see Mick in the buff, I’d have already tuned in, I was joking about it earlier. Has Keith ever seen it? Anyway, I do depth, I do films, no biggie, I’ll get to it!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2018 13:13

Has Keith ever seen it?

ROCKMAN

Date: December 6, 2018 13:23

Rockman
Has Keith ever seen it?

I have seen that photo, but actually had not really registered thatyes, Keith has seen it. I thought that was a really good question.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 6, 2018 13:27

If Jagger hadn't been in it no one would have remembered it. Seems to have a cult status. Mostly known these days for Jagger having sex in it. Arty, intellectual or pseudo-intellectual.
Typical of its time. Dare I say I'm not a fan. I wonder what Keith's initial reaction was when first watching this?

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: December 6, 2018 14:20

Stoneage
If Jagger hadn't been in it no one would have remembered it.

Ranked as the 48th best British film of all time according to the British Film Institute...
[en.wikipedia.org]
(I've actually seen a different list where it was ranked, I think, 28th, but can't find it at the moment). Personally, I think it's a really interesting film and Jagger is actually the weakest link, though he's obviously interesting from a Stones fan perspective (and as emblematic of a certain cultural moment, but his acting is meh).

syrel

Date: December 6, 2018 14:33

Sure, Syrel. But the Jagger part is what most people remember. Not the acting per se but the fact that he took part in it. To be fair, change no one to very few then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-06 14:35 by Stoneage.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 6, 2018 14:44

Stoneage
I wonder what Keith's initial reaction was when first watching this?

I don't know if it's a truthworthy source, but Victor Bockris in his biography of Keith has a few disturbing pages regarding the shooting of the film. I mean, you have to imagine what it must have been like for Keith, regarding what was going on between Mick and Anita. Bockris explains that Keith did retaliate by refusing to record "Memo From Turner" with Mick...

Here's Anita's point of view according to Bockris:
« Marianne left after a while because she couldn’t stand the Brazilian climate and felt sick, so it was Mick, Keith, and me staying on this ranch in the middle of nowhere. It was quite a creative time. That’s where they wrote ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’ and ‘Let It Bleed.’ Mick wanted me to split with him after we had done Performance. I definitely remember that I didn’t want to have anything to do with Mick Jagger. I did not want to be his girlfriend. I never did. But Mick and me still had this kind of secret, or thought we did, so for me it was exciting because I thought I was in the middle of this high drama. And Keith was willing to go along with it. He could have just said, ‘No, I don’t want to know. You do whatever you want to and that’s it.’ But Keith was willing to go along with it. Me and Mick would jokingly talk about all those things and it was like, you can’t always get what you want. »

By the way, the book claims that the premiere was on January 4, 1971.

Date: December 6, 2018 15:35

ROCKMAN

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: December 6, 2018 19:50

Stoneage
Sure, Syrel. But the Jagger part is what most people remember. Not the acting per se but the fact that he took part in it. To be fair, change no one to very few then.

Yeah, I'm sure it's what most people remember - and he's not uninteresting, as Jagger is really playing Jagger (when he tries to plays something not Jagger, eg Ned Kelly, it hasn't ended well...). I just think the film is actually quite a good film (coming from someone that really doesn't like films very much, though I am probably arty and intellectual ;-) )

Date: December 6, 2018 20:45

grinning smiley, Syrel!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 6, 2018 23:39

Can't really imagine the film without Mick. From the soundtrack through to the promotion, it was about Mick and what a danger decadent anti-establishment androgynous rock stars seemed at the time. Cammell deserves credit for seeing the connection to the mob and showing both sides of Turner from creative bohemian to respectable businessman. The film is similar to SUNSET BLVD. in that both have a young man on the run seeking asylum in the strange home of a reclusive retired star. Both are about death and how the strange intersection of celebrity and unchecked hedonism often result in tragedy. The public wants celebrities to be wild and weird, but not too weird or they'll turn on them just as the media directs them to do. The irony of a young gangster who has murdered and tortured people for the sake of money and power looking down upon the decadent rock star is also wonderfully pointed satire.

PERFORMANCE isn't a film I could watch all the time, but it is a fascinating and artistic piece. THE MAN FROM ELYSIAN FIELDS is the only other Mick film that I think is really worth revisiting. The soundtrack is terrific and deserves to be part of any Stones collection. I'll take the Jagger solo single of "Memo from Turner" over the METAMORPHOSIS version any day.

For the record, the January 1971 date was the UK release. Stateside, it played in 1970 along with NED KELLY.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-06 23:41 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 7, 2018 09:11

Rocky Dijon
Can't really imagine the film without Mick. From the soundtrack through to the promotion, it was about Mick and what a danger decadent anti-establishment androgynous rock stars seemed at the time. Cammell deserves credit for seeing the connection to the mob and showing both sides of Turner from creative bohemian to respectable businessman. The film is similar to SUNSET BLVD. in that both have a young man on the run seeking asylum in the strange home of a reclusive retired star. Both are about death and how the strange intersection of celebrity and unchecked hedonism often result in tragedy. The public wants celebrities to be wild and weird, but not too weird or they'll turn on them just as the media directs them to do. The irony of a young gangster who has murdered and tortured people for the sake of money and power looking down upon the decadent rock star is also wonderfully pointed satire.

PERFORMANCE isn't a film I could watch all the time, but it is a fascinating and artistic piece. THE MAN FROM ELYSIAN FIELDS is the only other Mick film that I think is really worth revisiting. The soundtrack is terrific and deserves to be part of any Stones collection. I'll take the Jagger solo single of "Memo from Turner" over the METAMORPHOSIS version any day.

For the record, the January 1971 date was the UK release. Stateside, it played in 1970 along with NED KELLY.

Yes, I take the Jagger single over the 'Metamorphosis" version; by far. It's the difference of being chauffeured in a Bentley vs. taking the bus. Both 'll get you there, but...

But hold it a minute - I am transfixed by that last sentence/ quote; is that a signature quote?

Date: December 7, 2018 16:05

Palace Revolution 2000
But hold it a minute - I am transfixed by that last sentence/ quote; is that a signature quote?

It is, yeah. I was given it yesterday. It amused me at the time so I added it to a few earlier posts. Not sure if I'll keep it. It doesn't violate the rules, but my appreciation of such things is very much down to the mood I'm in from work.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 10, 2018 03:48

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 10, 2018 04:35

Well Michael, I think it's far past time you consider a sequel,
what do you say?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 11, 2018 22:09

"It’s 50 years since I filmed Performance & I’m happy to say that Jay Glennie is set to release the Performance 50 th large format book. Featuring interviews with me, James Fox, Sandy Lieberson, Nic Roeg and over 500 images, it’s a beauty!" http://www.performance-book.com

[twitter.com]

Date: December 11, 2018 22:57

Well that was unexpected. He's doing actual promotion for it.

Date: December 11, 2018 23:04

What stadium is in the picture behind him?

Hope he signs that book for Rockman thumbs up

Rockman can have the book I’d like the silk shirt please grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-11 23:06 by 35love.

Date: December 11, 2018 23:10

Hope he signs that book for Rockman ……

Hey yeah that'd be nice …….

Pretty sure Mick's interview in the book
is the first he has ever given about Performance …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 11, 2018 23:49

syrel
Stoneage

Yeah, I'm sure it's what most people remember - and he's not uninteresting, as Jagger is really playing Jagger (when he tries to plays something not Jagger, eg Ned Kelly, it hasn't ended well...). I just think the film is actually quite a good film (coming from someone that really doesn't like films very much, though I am probably arty and intellectual ;-) )

Actually, I always thought it was Mick playing Turner as a mix of Keith and Brian.
Cool (Keith) and tortured (Brian).
I never saw Mick (in his off stage persona) as being like Turner at all.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 11, 2018 23:54

35love

Photo's from the 2006 Superbowl Halftime at Ford Field, Detroit.

Date: December 12, 2018 00:44

bye bye johnny
35love

Photo's from the 2006 Superbowl Halftime at Ford Field, Detroit.

Thank you. I was 98% sure that was it, but knew someone here would be 100%

Date: December 12, 2018 00:45

Rockman
Hope he signs that book for Rockman ……

Hey yeah that'd be nice …….

Pretty sure Mick's interview in the book
is the first he has ever given about Performance …..

Well I wonder what it says!
ETA: well, well, well, click the link and Mick says there were no stand ins...
His face, Anita’s face, stunning.
MICK JAGGER Rockman should get a signed copy please...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-12 00:49 by 35love.

Date: December 12, 2018 00:55

You tell him 35 …
He'll listen to you..
Turn that lady charm ON ………..X

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 12, 2018 02:19

[scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

Date: December 12, 2018 14:37

Well I finally got assurance about that rare Jagger pic that I posted here years ago when none of us had seen it; and nobody was sure where it came from. It is one with black hair and Jagger smoking a cigar. IT is from Performance because a shot of Jagger and Roeg must have been taken minutes before or after.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 14, 2018 05:57

Mojo magazine - February 2019

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 14, 2018 16:22

I haven’t seen the film in ages, just watched again: a true Cult Classic.

Date: December 14, 2018 16:36

It is, but I still think Terry's version has scenes unavailable commercially.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home