Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets 2019 U.S. Tour
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 11, 2019 00:07

The best moment of the show. That's me, the guy pumping his fist in the air, at the end of it.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 11, 2019 03:41

[www.theoaklandpress.com]

Pink Floyd drummer revisits early days in stunning Fillmore show

By Gary Graff

Nick Mason made things clear at the beginning of his Tuesday night, April 9, show with his Saucerful of Secrets band at the Fillmore Detroit.

"We are not the Australian Roger Waters or the Danish David Gilmour," the drummer quipped, referencing his Pink Floyd bandmates. "Or the Antique Road Trip," he added with a smirk. But Mason and Saucerful of Secrets did play an hour and 50 minutes of music that could be considered well-aged, by any standards -- and delivered it in magnificent fashion.

The 75-year-old Mason launched Saucerful of Secrets last year to perform Pink Floyd's earliest music, from 1965-72, before the worldwide sensation of "The Dark Side of the Moon." Most of the 20-song set hadn't been played in five-plus decades, and at least one -- the only partly finished "Vegetable Man" -- was never played live by Pink Floyd. But rather than merely pay tribute to those less-celebrated days of yore, Mason and company -- a crack crew that included Spandau Ballet guitarist Gary Kemp and longtime Pink Floyd touring bassist Guy Pratt -- breathed fresh life into the songs that brought them up to date and offered new insights into what Pink Floyd was doing before the majority of its fan base began paying attention.

Chief among those was the role of Mason himself. Often consigned to the background and certainly eclipsed by Waters and Gilmour, on Tuesday Mason demonstrated not only what a fine, inventive drummer he is but also how integral his playing was in Pink Floyd's makeup -- "the heartbeat of Pink Floyd," as Pratty put it -- whether he was cracking his rack toms or adding accents on cymbals or, during "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" and "A Saucerful of Secrets," on gong.

Mason, along with his Saucerful bandmates, also proved to be a friendly and witty host for an enraptured Fillmore crowd filled with enough die-hards to chant along with the ascending chord patterns of "Fearless." Though the commentaries were brief they gave the show more personality than Pink Floyd sometimes would show during an entire tour; Kemp even told the crowd that when he first saw the band in 1974 he couldn't take his eyes off Mason "because he was the only thing moving on stage." Mason, meanwhile, talked about the BBC banning "Arnold Layne" because of lyrical content, while Pratt talked about how he and all his friends owned the 1971 "Relics" compilation because "it was half the price of all the other Pink Floyd albums.

When it came to the music, however, the quintet was deadly serious as it ran through stunning renditions that blasted off with the pairing of "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Astronomy Domine" and over the course of the night carefully other space-rock epics such as "Obscured By Clouds," "Atom Heart Mother" and "One of These Days" with more compact psychedelic pop tracks such as "Lucifer Sam," "Remember a Day," "See Emily Play," "Bike" and, yes, "Arnold Layne" and even "The Nile Song," which Pratt introduced as "dumb-ass rock 'n' roll." The troupe also took a moment during the show to, rightly, acknowledge the late Syd Barrett, the short-lived Pink Floyd frontman responsible for so much of what it was playing.

Saucerful's production was more Grande Ballroom, where Pink Floyd first played Detroit in 1968, than Pontiac Silverdome, where the group last performed in 1994 -- but it still adhered to that band's high standards. The elaborate mix was clean and blended in sound effects for trippy extra layers of sonic fun. The light show was significantly more modest but still engaging, with projections splashed a rear-stage scrim that housed the group's logo.

But the up-close and in-your-face setting made Tuesday much more about the sound than the sights, which made for nothing less than a tremendous and nearly perfect show. Pink Floyd may be dry-docked, probably for good, but Mason and Saucerful shined a spotlight on an often overlooked part of the group's history, which is as important as Waters and Gilmour playing the group's 70s hits in their shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-11 03:43 by tatters.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: April 11, 2019 06:03

I've heard nothing but good news about this show and from what I've seen and heard it is amazing. Do not sit by and miss this, it's your last chance. I can't wait for the Beacon show next week!

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 15, 2019 05:38

Saw Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets show in Boston last night (Sat.). All the rave reviews I had read are spot on. It was tremendous! The band Mason has put together are incredible -they’re able to take the music anywhere it needs to go - and with all early Floyd material, it can go in some strange and wonderful places. Just a few more US shows to go - NY, Philli and DC I think? If you are at all a Pink Floyd fan, by all means try and see this - really very special. And truly rocking.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 15, 2019 20:57

RollingFreak
Hound Dog
Seeing this in Denver, can't wait. I know I am in the minority but I have big Floyd fan but not a fan of the Wall. Early Floyd is my favorite so this is very exciting for me.

I've had this discussion with many Floyd fans. I'm a massive Pink Floyd fan and for years I couldn't stand The Wall. I grew to appreciate it and I really enjoy it for what it is, but I still almost don't consider it Floyd. Its Roger Waters, as is The Final Cut, although at least The Final Cut is a little more musical. To me, The Wall, while being a great album, is exactly what Floyd NEVER was. Its not really musical, its insanely story driven, its not collaborative. To me, for years, The Wall was an INSULT to Floyd, which is why I always thought it was so funny that its some Floyd fan's favorite album. I didn't really understand how you could appreciate all of Pink Floyd then call The Wall your favorite album by them. When it finally clicks, its a solid record, but I maintain its still not really a "Pink Floyd" album.

To me, that middle sweet spot of Floyd is the best. Starting with Meddle and going through Animals. Meddle is when they finally gelled and were unstoppable. To me, Dark Side is like when I say Psycho is my favorite Hitchcock movie. Its so cliched to say, but it really is just so perfect. Then Wish You Were Here is arguably better, Animals I always have a special fondness for. But then early Floyd is also outstanding. Atom Heart Mother is excellent. Obscured By Clouds is great. The first two records, many of those early singles. Its more experimental, but a lot of it works. By Meddle they had the formula down, but the pre-Meddle stuff is super interesting because its totally uncompromising. Which is why I'd love to see this Nick Mason thing, cause its great music and it rarely gets appreciated these days.

Just saw your post now. I agree with your assessment 100 percent! Also Nick Mason's band he put together are great, the bass player/vocalist Guy Pratt played with Pink Floyd and David Gilmore solo, so he has been a part of various Pink Floyd things. Go see this show while they are touring!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 15, 2019 21:31

Even the music they play on the PA system before the show is great.smiling smiley

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 15, 2019 22:28

FYI - there are tickets on Stubhub now for the Beacon shows in NYC later this week for $25.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 15, 2019 22:40

spikenyc
FYI - there are tickets on Stubhub now for the Beacon shows in NYC later this week for $25.

It kills me that the Friday show is Passover so I can't go and the Thursday one I have my roommates birthday that she'd kill me if I missed. I knew this would end up being a super cheap ticket and thats a great venue and all the reviews here have been raves. @#$%&.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 15, 2019 22:44

RollingFreak
spikenyc

It kills me that the Friday show is Passover so I can't go and the Thursday one I have my roommates birthday that she'd kill me if I missed. I knew this would end up being a super cheap ticket and thats a great venue and all the reviews here have been raves. @#$%&.

Me too, Im traveling down to Florida Thursday for the holiday, (was also supposed to go to the tour opener in Miami on 4/20) angry smiley

Date: April 16, 2019 14:49

shattered

Even the music they play on the PA system before the show is great.smiling smiley

The Stones "We Love You" was one of the pre-show tunes. Do you remember any of the others? Probably all from that same "psychedelic" era that included the earliest Floyd records, I would assume.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-16 14:58 by tatters.

Date: April 16, 2019 15:36

Absolutely a stunning show. Really enjoyed picking up the Saucerful of Secrets Mono vinyl reissue on Record Store Day last Saturday.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 16, 2019 21:10

tatters
shattered

The Stones "We Love You" was one of the pre-show tunes. Do you remember any of the others? Probably all from that same "psychedelic" era that included the earliest Floyd records, I would assume.

Hi tatters: Regretfully no, and the couple sitting next to me didn't know the names of the tunes either. But the Posted by: Woz Date: March 16, 2019 13:33 going back to 1967 era really nails it.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 18, 2019 03:25

Props to Nick Mason for this tour. What a fantastic idea to dust off these old tracks and give them a proper live reading.

I am just a casual Pink Floyd fan. I own most of the records, but don't play them much. have seen Roger Waters live on a handful of occasions. I like the Animals record quite a bit, and Have a Cigar is a great track. At the same time I am mostly bored by the Wall and Dark Side of the Moon.

I was just tagging along with a couple friends who really dig the early Floyd last night and I am happy that I went. What a great show! I even spun my copies of Relics, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother for the first time in years today.

Highly recommended!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 19, 2019 06:41

Roger Waters showed up and sang Set The Controls tonight.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2019 06:55

daspyknows

thumbs up

Photo and brief clip via instagram:

Set the Controls

Date: April 19, 2019 06:57

Hairball
daspyknows

thumbs up

Set the Controls

downloading my friend's raw recording now.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 19, 2019 07:05

Hairball
daspyknows

thumbs up

Set the Controls

thumbs up

Full video:

Legendary! Roger Waters join Nick Mason and Sourcefull Of Secrets in New York

Date: April 19, 2019 07:28

My friend who ran the audio also had a camera

[www.youtube.com]

Please watch in 1080

Date: April 19, 2019 07:29

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
daspyknows

thumbs up

Set the Controls

thumbs up

Full video:

Legendary! Roger Waters join Nick Mason and Sourcefull Of Secrets in New York

thumbs up

I have a friend who was there in the front row and just shared this clip of facebook:

Roger/Set the Controls

EDIT: Just saw your post daspy, we almost posted at the same time. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-19 07:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 19, 2019 12:37

Roger was smiling!!!!smileys with beer

Date: January 31, 2020 07:36

Might need to change the title of this thread to 2020.- Nick Mason

The "More Games For May Tour" – which takes its name from Pink Floyd's milestone 1967 concert at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall – begins this April with UK dates and a European run that includes visits to Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, France, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, and the Netherlands. North American dates will be announced soon – for updates and more, please visit Saucerful Of Secrets

Plus - new live album, cd, dvd, bluray of the London Roundhouse show released soon. thumbs up

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 09:10

I love this forum.

I had no idea Nick was comming back and eventhough tickets for Prague have been on sale for more than two months, they are still available. Just bought one! And it is GA, so I didn't miss anything!

I missed the show the last year, since I was on holiday at the time of the concert and I really regretted it. Thank you, Hairball for bringing this to my attention!

Date: January 31, 2020 09:25

thumbs up

There's also this:

At a theater maybe near you > London Roundhouse

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 09:33

I checked and they don't play the movie in our country (yet). I will surely get it on DVD.
Can't wait for the concert after all the enthusiastic reviews I read. I have unfortunately never seen Pink Floyd, so at least I will have seen all the three living members separately.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 31, 2020 10:10

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 10:45

Date: January 31, 2020 19:21

Amazon USA now has double vinyl listed at $35.98 and cd/dvd combo listed at $29.97.

However, on the official site you can get the double vinyl + limited signed poster for $34.98, and the cd/dvd combo + limited signed poster for $29.96.

Live at the Roundhouse

Of course shipping price might be a bit more on the official site, but for a signed poster seems worth it.
Other bundles also available on official site including t-shirt, etc.

OT: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets 2020 U.S. Tour
Date: January 31, 2020 21:52

Well we are off to the Pink Floyd races again.

"Saucerful of Secrets begin a U.K. and European tour on April 23. North American dates will be announced shortly."
[bestclassicbands.com]

Saw them in March 2019 in Atlanta. What a wonderful time machine trip that was, can't wait to see them again.

Let's see, 2019 tour DVD from Nick Mason, Roger Waters tour summer 2020, Nick Mason's round two tour of US in Fall of 2020...
What a wonderful time to be a Pink Floyd fan.

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-31 21:55 by MidnightDevilRambler.

Re: OT: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets 2020 U.S. Tour
Date: February 4, 2020 15:35

MidnightDevilRambler
Well we are off to the Pink Floyd races again.

"Saucerful of Secrets begin a U.K. and European tour on April 23. North American dates will be announced shortly."
[bestclassicbands.com]

Saw them in March 2019 in Atlanta. What a wonderful time machine trip that was, can't wait to see them again.

Let's see, 2019 tour DVD from Nick Mason, Roger Waters tour summer 2020, Nick Mason's round two tour of US in Fall of 2020...
What a wonderful time to be a Pink Floyd fan.

Mike

BV,

This is for the 2020 tour, different tour, just like Stones 2019 vs 2020 US tour is different.

This was intended to be a new thread for a new tour, not a typo.
Why was it moved please?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Re: OT: Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 5, 2020 03:29

sounds interesting, i got quite into early pink floyd recently, and discovered some of the best music ever, been reading a lot about them and my opinion is that pink floyd is not pink floyd without roger waters, they survived syd,s departure and the introduction of david gilmour but there seems to be just too many pink floyds, people talk of syds pink floyd, then rogers pink floyd then davids pink floyd, it all seems a bit complicated, seems nick mason put on a good show, and would like to see, as i love stuff like interstellar overdrive, but would also like to know when pink floyd actually officially ended.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home