Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets 2019 U.S. Tour
Posted by: likecats ()
Date: March 14, 2019 07:19

I’m going to the Saturday Wiltern show too. Really looking forward to it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 14, 2019 07:44

Big Al
I may be in a minority here, but post-Syd Floyd bores me. I live those early 45’s and the Piper at the Gates of Dawn album.

I love that album, although I also enjoy very much their 70s stuff pre-Animals.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 15, 2019 00:08

Hairball
Going on Saturday at the Wiltern - both shows Sat. and especially Sunday sold poorly.
All unsold VIP's - and there were many leftovers for Sunday - were converted to standard pricing.
Not surprising as the original VIP prices for the first few rows were an insane $450......
Looking forward to it - paid $62+ fees for a decent balcony seat when initial sales started.

Sold poorly? It was all resale and VIP until they dropped pricing on VIP. Good seats at face all sold in the first 48 hours.

I am going Fri in SF and Sat in LA. Got great seats for LA and needed to pull a favor for good SF seats.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 15, 2019 00:31

I’m excited and going to the SF show tomorrow!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2019 03:30

Would love to see him and that setlist but unfortunately he's charging way too much in NY. Can't afford $70 cheapest tickets for Nick Mason, and $100 for a halfway decent seat. Would love to see him, but the most I'd spend is like $60 for fairly decent seats. Incredible setlist though and Nick is absolutely a legend. Still just the drummer though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 15, 2019 04:26

daspyknows
Hairball
Going on Saturday at the Wiltern - both shows Sat. and especially Sunday sold poorly.
All unsold VIP's - and there were many leftovers for Sunday - were converted to standard pricing.
Not surprising as the original VIP prices for the first few rows were an insane $450......
Looking forward to it - paid $62+ fees for a decent balcony seat when initial sales started.

Sold poorly? It was all resale and VIP until they dropped pricing on VIP. Good seats at face all sold in the first 48 hours.

I am going Fri in SF and Sat in LA. Got great seats for LA and needed to pull a favor for good SF seats.

I'm pretty sure there was always a smattering of standard priced tix for the first show - some are still available even now (maybe they were converted from platinum).
And then when extremely overpriced VIP's sold poorly, they were converted to standard pricing - but even those aren't selling very well at the reduced standard prices.
As for the second show, the resale option was never avaialable, and as of this minute all seats in the mezzanine have dropped from $62+ down to $29+ for a 50% discount.
Most of the pit is still available - what was once $450 VIP's have been reduced to $178 standard, and even those aren't selling.
If it continues to sell poorly, might be able to get in for peanuts for that one, or at the least get a free upgrade.

Some friends and I are meeting at Beer Belly a couple blocks away before the show daspy - would be cool to see you again.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 04:28 by Hairball.

Date: March 15, 2019 20:31

Woz
I’m excited and going to the SF show tomorrow!

I will be there too.

Date: March 15, 2019 20:35

Hairball
daspyknows
Hairball

I'm pretty sure there was always a smattering of standard priced tix for the first show - some are still available even now (maybe they were converted from platinum).
And then when extremely overpriced VIP's sold poorly, they were converted to standard pricing - but even those aren't selling very well at the reduced standard prices.
As for the second show, the resale option was never avaialable, and as of this minute all seats in the mezzanine have dropped from $62+ down to $29+ for a 50% discount.
Most of the pit is still available - what was once $450 VIP's have been reduced to $178 standard, and even those aren't selling.
If it continues to sell poorly, might be able to get in for peanuts for that one, or at the least get a free upgrade.

Some friends and I are meeting at Beer Belly a couple blocks away before the show daspy - would be cool to see you again.thumbs up

If the second night seats going real cheap I might stick around for the 2nd night.

Doubt I will have time before show. I am driving down from Nor Cal in the morning and hoping to get to LA by 4, meeting my friend and getting there around 6.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 16, 2019 20:33

I saw the show last night in SF and it was stunning- literally like stepping back in time. Walking in that room and it was 1967, London in a dark smoky club. To say it was psychedelic would be an understatement. The music was oozing Syd Barrett. Mason can still play the drums with reckless abandon and tunes like Arnold Layne, the Colour is Green, Fearless, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, See Emily Play and Bike were all living, fire breathing vital songs while the light show pulsated and time became fungible. It was an astonishing experience!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-17 19:30 by Woz.

Date: March 17, 2019 10:00

Woz
I saw the show last night in SF and it was stunning- literally like stepping back in time. Walking in that room and it was 1967, London in a dark smoky club. To say it was psychedelic would be an understatement. The music was oozing Syd Barrett. Mason can still play the drums with reckless abandon and tunes like Arnold Layne, the Colour is Green, Fearless, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, See Emily Play and Bike were all living, fire breathing vital songs while the light show pulsated and time became fungible. It was an astonishing experience! Go see this show at the Beacon Marc, you will not regret it!

Just got back from the Wiltern show and ditto to the above.thumbs up
Very impressive, and what an incredible band of musicians he has. A friend I was with is a friend of guitarist Lee Harris who joined us for the pre-show meetup - total down to earth guy, and then to see him on stage blazing away some amazing Barret and Gilmour guitar riffs and licks...his slide on One of These Days was perfection. Syd era Interstellar Overdrive, Astronomy Domine, and Lucifer Sam were an astonishing way to blast off the show, and the Gilmour era Fearless and Childhoods End were amongst the highlights for me. Anyone a fan of early Pink Floyd who has a chance to see this show really should. While I might have referred to it as Nick Mason and his glorified tribute band previously, well perhaps that's really what it is...but damn it was good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-17 10:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 17, 2019 19:16

Thanks for those reviews Woz and Hairball. Less than a month until I see him in Boston - I’m giddy with anticipation for this show.

Date: March 18, 2019 07:03

I got nice recordings of SF and LA1. I will post links so you can hear for yourself, this is the real deal.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: March 18, 2019 09:17

daspyknows
I got nice recordings of SF and LA1. I will post links so you can hear for yourself, this is the real deal.

Will you put on Traders Den?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 18, 2019 12:29

Thanks for the reviews, Woz and Hairball. I'm really pumped for this. Five shows are within a reasonable driving distance from me here in Ann Arbor. I've opted for a primo 2nd row center ticket for the show in Akron, and may hit the show in Detroit on my way home the following night.

Date: March 18, 2019 17:29

babyblue
daspyknows

Will you put on Traders Den?

No, there are a few jack holes over there I prefer not to deal with and have them step on my threasd. Will be on Planet Rock and possibly Dime.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 18, 2019 18:48

Seeing this in Denver, can't wait. I know I am in the minority but I have big Floyd fan but not a fan of the Wall. Early Floyd is my favorite so this is very exciting for me.

Date: March 18, 2019 19:06

Hound Dog
Seeing this in Denver, can't wait. I know I am in the minority but I have big Floyd fan but not a fan of the Wall. Early Floyd is my favorite so this is very exciting for me.

I've had this discussion with many Floyd fans. I'm a massive Pink Floyd fan and for years I couldn't stand The Wall. I grew to appreciate it and I really enjoy it for what it is, but I still almost don't consider it Floyd. Its Roger Waters, as is The Final Cut, although at least The Final Cut is a little more musical. To me, The Wall, while being a great album, is exactly what Floyd NEVER was. Its not really musical, its insanely story driven, its not collaborative. To me, for years, The Wall was an INSULT to Floyd, which is why I always thought it was so funny that its some Floyd fan's favorite album. I didn't really understand how you could appreciate all of Pink Floyd then call The Wall your favorite album by them. When it finally clicks, its a solid record, but I maintain its still not really a "Pink Floyd" album.

To me, that middle sweet spot of Floyd is the best. Starting with Meddle and going through Animals. Meddle is when they finally gelled and were unstoppable. To me, Dark Side is like when I say Psycho is my favorite Hitchcock movie. Its so cliched to say, but it really is just so perfect. Then Wish You Were Here is arguably better, Animals I always have a special fondness for. But then early Floyd is also outstanding. Atom Heart Mother is excellent. Obscured By Clouds is great. The first two records, many of those early singles. Its more experimental, but a lot of it works. By Meddle they had the formula down, but the pre-Meddle stuff is super interesting because its totally uncompromising. Which is why I'd love to see this Nick Mason thing, cause its great music and it rarely gets appreciated these days.

Date: March 18, 2019 19:44

THE WALL IS AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT PINK FLOYD ALBUM!!!!!

What are really NOT Pink Floyd albums are the one's released after Roger Waters left the band.

Date: March 29, 2019 12:19

I just scored front row center for Detroit! Paid $110. Until yesterday, they had been asking $447 for that same seat.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 29, 2019 13:02

Hairball

What are really NOT Pink Floyd albums are the one's released after Roger Waters left the band.

i know we've talked about this hairball but for others. i saw the original wall in LA when i was in college & then roger's version toward the end of his wall tour in a smallish arena. lot of years in between but i thought roger's version was better. some of that has to do with the technology advances but roger was truly into it. he even made a little speech at the end talking about playing in seattle in the early days where he was clearly emotional. it may have been the best "show" i've ever seen. roger doesn't get enough recognition for being the visionary he is. truly one of a kind & his influence will last for a long time after he's gone.

Date: March 29, 2019 14:52

Very upset that Nick Mason prices are finally going down for the Beacon and I realize its the same night as Passover. Not gonna be able to swing that and feel myself just getting into a big Pink Floyd kick.

Date: March 29, 2019 20:08

crholmstrom
Hairball

i know we've talked about this hairball but for others. i saw the original wall in LA when i was in college & then roger's version toward the end of his wall tour in a smallish arena. lot of years in between but i thought roger's version was better. some of that has to do with the technology advances but roger was truly into it. he even made a little speech at the end talking about playing in seattle in the early days where he was clearly emotional. it may have been the best "show" i've ever seen. roger doesn't get enough recognition for being the visionary he is. truly one of a kind & his influence will last for a long time after he's gone.

I don't recall us talking about this comparison, but maybe we have? I also saw the original Wall shows twice at the L.A. Sports Arena, and have to say those were much more powerful than Roger's more recent versions.

First off the original was Pink Floyd performing - Waters, Gilmour, Wright, and Mason - musically speaking it was far superior than Roger's backup 'tribute' band that included three guitar players (including the lame GE Smith), and some goofball standing alone on stage singing Gilmours parts - a bit cringeworthy. Add the fact that Roger was lip-synching during parts of the show...no bueno.

Secondly, the original shows were true to the original storyline and not diluted the way Roger presented it on his own- it became an entirely different concept - not bad, but a bit all over the place.

Thirdly, I was much more impressionable at 18 during the original shows vs. Rogers recent versions. At that age, the impact of those shows set the bar for many years to come as far as greatest concerts ever - they still rank at the top along with several other shows by other bands (Stones included).

Not saying Roger's version was completely bad by any means - I saw it quite a few times in small arenas and stadiums. The overall spectacle and state of the art visuals and technology were mind boggling no doubt, but if you go back to the context of 1980 the same could be said for those original shows - there was nothing like it before. Add the fact it was Pink Floyd, and there's really no contest imo.

As for Nick Mason and his Saucerful of Secrets - catch it if you can!
One of the greatest shows currently out there, and with prices dropping left and right for many of the scheduled shows, the price can't be beat!

tatters
I just scored front row center for Detroit! Paid $110. Until yesterday, they had been asking $447 for that same seat.

thumbs up

You are in for quite a treat - really wish I could see it again as the one show I saw amazing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-29 20:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 30, 2019 20:29

The Buffalo show is not selling well at all. $122 or $87 or $46.50 a ticket on Ticketmaster with at least 30-40% of seats available, plus plenty of aftermarket tix. I may head down and grab one for $10-$15 night of the show.

Cover band with a good light show playing interesting covers.

Date: March 31, 2019 23:04

Just saw this tour in Atlanta Friday night.
OMG

This was some of the tastiest music I’ve heard in a long while at s great intimate venue with wonderful acoustics.

What a show!!!

Hand’s down one of the top five shows I’ve ever seen. Best Pink Floyd since 94 at Division Bell tour.

Gilmour Toronto would be in a close third place.

Don’t miss this on if you are a PF fan.

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: JohnnySnapps ()
Date: March 31, 2019 23:24

Going to the Boston show. Really looking forward to hearing this era of the Floyd's catalogue performed live!

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: April 1, 2019 18:47

Im going to the Chicago show on Thursday, is there an opening act? It says showtime at 730pm. What time did they go on? Thanks everyone.

Date: April 10, 2019 15:36

Back home in Ann Arbor after seeing Nick Monday night in Akron (second row center) and last night in Detroit (front row center). Considering that the last time I saw Nick was 25 years ago in Yankee Stadium, last night was particularly mind-blowing. I was literally no more than 12 to 15 feet from Nick's drum kit. And in its own way, the experience was every bit as deliriously euphoric as that night back in 1994. Better, in some ways, because the focus was more on the music, and not so much on all the smoke and lasers.

It was a brilliant move on Nick's part to choose to play only the early, 1967 to 1972 pre-Dark Side of the Moon stuff, and really the only way a Nick Mason tour could possibly make any sense. Waters, Gilmour, and the tribute bands have already got the DSOTM and The Wall covered. By playing all of the songs those guys won't touch, Nick has filled a vital niche. Early Floyd is not to everybody's taste, and never will be, but if this tour proves anything, it's that the popular misconception about this band, that they "experimented" for their first seven albums before suddenly "getting it right" on album number eight, couldn't be more wrong. The truth is, they got it right from the very beginning.

Sure, there were a few duds in the setlist, but mostly it's one highlight after another. For me, the centerpiece of the night was "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun." It was thunderous. Earth shattering, really, and the perfect vehicle for Nick to showcase his still-impressive skills as a drummer.

They may be a key member short of anything that could legitimately be called Pink Floyd, but with Guy Pratt on bass, you can't really call this a tribute band, either. Not with the entire rhythm section from the post-Roger Waters Pink Floyd tours of the 1980s and 1990s on stage.

All in all, it was a thrilling couple of nights. Spandau Ballet guitarist Gary Kemp handed me a guitar pick when I gave his "other" band a special shout out. Nick Mason gave me a big "thumbs up" when he saw I was wearing a butterfly shirt just like the one he wore in the 1972 Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii movie .... and I almost caught a drum stick! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-10 15:44 by tatters.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 10, 2019 18:36

Hello,

Thrilled that they're going down a storm on this jaunt: it was never going to be in doubt, was it?
Equally thrilled to have gotten tickets to the second night at The Roundhouse in May...looking forward, big-time!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-10 19:39 by SimonN.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 10, 2019 19:26

Great write up Tatters - been looking forward to the show Sat. in Boston for a long time!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 10, 2019 21:03

See Emily Play

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home