Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 31, 2018 15:10

[www.thesaucerfulofsecrets.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-02 14:48 by bv.

Re: OT: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets 2019 U.S. Tour
Date: October 31, 2018 15:14

12/03/2019 QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE, VANCOUVER

13/03/2019 THE PARAMOUNT, SEATTLE

15/03/2019 THE MASONIC, SAN FRANCISCO

16/03/2019 THE WILTERN, LOS ANGELES

19/03/2019 COMERICA THEATRE, PHOENIX

21/03/2019 PARAMOUNT THEATRE, DENVER

24/03/2019 PAVILION AT TOYOTA MUSIC FACTORY, DALLAS

25/03/2019 JONES HALL, HOUSTON

27/03/2019 THE FILLMORE AT THE JACKIE GLEESON, MIAMI BEACH

29/03/2019 TABERNACLE, ATLANTA

31/03/2019 STIFEL THEATRE, ST LOUIS

01/04/2019 RIVERSIDE THEATER, MILWAUKEE

03/04/2019 ORPHEUM THEATRE, MINNEAPOLIS

04/04/2019 CHICAGO THEATRE, CHICAGO

05/04/2019 THE OLD NATIONAL THEATRE, INDIANAPOLIS

07/04/2019 PALACE THEATRE, COLUMBUS

08/04/2019 CIVIC CENTER, AKRON

09/04/2019 THE FILLMORE, DETROIT

11/04/2019 SHEA’S PERFORMING ARTS CENTER, BUFFALO

12/04/2019 OAKDALE THEATRE, WALLINGFORD

13/04/2019 ORPHEUM THEATRE, BOSTON

15/04/2019 PLACE DES ARTS, MONTREAL

16/04/2019 SONY CENTRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS, TORONTO

18/04/2019 BEACON THEATRE, NEW YORK

22/04/2019 DAR CONSTITUTION HALL, WASHINGTON

Date: October 31, 2018 15:24

A recent setlist:

Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds
When You're In
Arnold Layne
Vegetable Man
If
Atom Heart Mother
The Nile Song
Green Is the Colour
Let There Be More Light
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
One of These Days
A Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-31 15:24 by tatters.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 31, 2018 15:40

So is he playing only Syd Barrett-era Floyd songs?

Date: October 31, 2018 15:49

keefriff99

No. If you peruse the sample setlist I posted, you can see that it spans the years 1967 to 1972.

Date: October 31, 2018 15:55

tatters
keefriff99

No. If you peruse the sample setlist I posted, you can see that it spans the years 1967 to 1972.
Ah, okay...but all pre-"Dark Side of the Moon".

I understand why Nick is doing that, since David and Roger pretty much have the "Dark Side" and on era covered with their live shows. However, that's really the only period I'm a fan of.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 31, 2018 15:59

Will definitely be catching this. I get that its pretty pointless without David or Roger, but these are great songs that never see the light of day. Yes, my Pink Floyd is also Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals, but I adore Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds, and those early singles. The other two have done an excellent job keeping the famous stuff alive. I would love to see the drummer playing the early stuff no one ever hears. And I have to imagine it'll be pretty cheap.

Date: October 31, 2018 16:04

My roommate in college was a massive Floyd fan, and he used to play all their albums...I just found the Barrett/pre-Dark Side Roger albums kinda tedious. It has been a long time since I've revisited them though.

I appreciate Nick doing this though, because it's unique music that deserves an audience.

Date: October 31, 2018 16:55

keefriff99
tatters
keefriff99

I understand why Nick is doing that, since David and Roger pretty much have the "Dark Side" and on era covered with their live shows. However, that's really the only period I'm a fan of.

Have you checked out Meddle and Obscured By Clouds? For me, those albums belong with the next releases, in terms of both style and quality. One Of These Days is a classic, imo.

Date: October 31, 2018 17:09

I just blasted One Of These Days in my car last night. IMO its the definitive "early" Floyd sound. Or post-Barrett, pre-Dark Side. That song IS those 4 guys from Floyd there. Meddle, front to back, is an outstanding record. The only thing tedious would be Echoes and thats a classic and always flies by to me. I'd definitely start there. I could understand some of the other stuff not really being up everyone's alley, but Obscured By Clouds is for the most part very good, Atom Heart Mother has some killer moments (I like the whole thing but I get how the first and last tracks are a lot for some).

Meddle is easily as good as the classic run though. If you like Dark Side through The Wall, its just as easy to digest and feels familiar enough to them.

Date: October 31, 2018 17:20

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
tatters
keefriff99

Have you checked out Meddle and Obscured By Clouds? For me, those albums belong with the next releases, in terms of both style and quality. One Of These Days is a classic, imo.
Like I said, it's been a long time since I've heard those. I'll have to revisit them.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 31, 2018 17:29

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
tatters
keefriff99

Classic indeed, and I had the pleasure to see Roger Waters playing it live yesterday night. smiling smiley

Date: October 31, 2018 17:34

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
tatters
keefriff99

Classic indeed, and I had the pleasure to see Roger Waters playing it live yesterday night. smiling smiley
Oh yeah, One of these Days is absolutely AMAZING.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-31 17:34 by keefriff99.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 31, 2018 17:40

I think this sounds like a wonderful night of entertainment and I totally get why Nick Mason is playing pre Dark Side cuts because that music has been extensively covered by Gilmour / Waters . It would be nice if Rodger and Dave showed up for a show !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 31, 2018 17:58

I've read great reviews of these shows, but all from diehards on a Pink Floyd fan site.
From my point of view, it's basically a glorified tribute band with only Nick the drummer (who never wrote anything) bringing any legitimacy and being the selling point.
That said, I look forward to going to see this at the Wiltern in Los Angeles. The setlists are enticing (I love all Syd era and pre- Dark side stuff), and the band is made up of great musicians.

Date: October 31, 2018 18:37

It reminds me of when Woody Woodmansey toured Bowie's material a few years ago (it was when Bowie died). He was playing all that killer stuff from the first 5 albums are so that are Spiders From Mars, but again its the drummer and you question if its worth it. I think Tony Visconti was there too (who played bass on a lot of those albums) so that lent more legitimacy. But again, you question how much its worth it without Bowie or Mick Ronson. In the end I didn't go and then Bowie died and I wished I had. Would have been fun to relive that memory with at least one of the original Spiders. This is more enticing to me because its great music that never sees the light of day, and there's no reason frontman role that has to be filled which no one could do with Bowie.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 31, 2018 19:08

RollingFreak - yes, Woody and Visconti toured as Holy Holy - 1st doing all of the Man Who Sold the World (They did all of Ziggy on a 2nd round) - and they did do a superb job. Of course it took 2 very good guitarists to try and equal one Mick Ronson.
By all accounts from friends in Europe who’ve seen the Nick Mason show, they say it too is fantastic. I’m in for Boston for sure.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 31, 2018 19:42

Love the pre-Dark Side-era stuff. Roger has played 'Set the Controls..', 'If', 'One of These Days', and 'Fearless' in past tours, as well as showing the 'Arnold Layne' video at halftime in '87; and the latter-day Floyd did 'Echoes' and 'Astronomie Domine', but it'll be great to see Nick & Co. play an actual set of rarities with a trippy light show ('natch) and presumably stellar concert sound.

Tickets don't seem too outrageously priced either. I'm definitely in for tour opener in Vancouver.

Date: October 31, 2018 20:10

Is Snowy White still around ? and would he be a part of the band ?

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 31, 2018 20:32

Hello,

I was lucky enough to see their show at The Apollo in Manchester, on Thursday 27th September. In brief, even if you're a Floyd-tourist like me please do yourself a big favour and go and see this band.

How about...

Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Dominie
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds
When You're In
Arnold Layne
Vegetable Man
If
Atom Heart Mother
The Nile Song
Green Is the Colour
Let There Be More Light
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
One of These Days

Encore:

A Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky

Not too shabby, hah-hah! As you'd expect, the playing is terrific. Perhaps the biggest surprise was just how good Gary Kemp was: great vocals and a pretty handy guitarist too. Yer man Guy Pratt is just such a fine bass player- he's worth just going to see: in fact, that pair of loons are a good foil for each other, hah-hah!

Brains Trust is in the grey Booker T tee, just left of centre in the second row...very satisfied punters all round. And things like this please me too...

He's a very nice man who humored my geek-dom, hah-hah!

Messin' aside, this is a special show and if I can, I will see it again.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 31, 2018 22:21

The last album I bought was Meddle so this set list sounds great to me hope he will do Europe.............

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 1, 2018 00:18

Not to be nit picky but this should be called 2019 North American tour since he's opening in Vancouver and also play Montreal and Toronto!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 1, 2018 00:32

NICOS
The last album I bought was Meddle so this set list sounds great to me hope he will do Europe.............
He played some dates in Europe over the summer, there are several excellent audience recordings of his shows out there , I guess I'll have to go to Atlanta since he isn't playing in Florida!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 1, 2018 01:44

Mr.D
NICOS
He played some dates in Europe over the summer, there are several excellent audience recordings of his shows out there , I guess I'll have to go to Atlanta since he isn't playing in Florida!

Miami Beach the show before Atlanta.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 1, 2018 15:40

Mr.D
NICOS

Thanks....

Date: March 13, 2019 13:40

Opening night in Vancouver featured a setlist similar to what's been played elsewhere, but he's added a couple of things; Rick Wright's lovely "Remember a Day" and Dave Gilmour's "Childhood's End."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 13:48 by tatters.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 13, 2019 16:02

I may be in a minority here, but post-Syd Floyd bores me. I live those early 45’s and the Piper at the Gates of Dawn album.

Date: March 13, 2019 20:39

Big Al
I may be in a minority here, but post-Syd Floyd bores me. I live those early 45’s and the Piper at the Gates of Dawn album.
Out of curiosity are you the "Big Al" on Les Paul Forum ?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 13, 2019 20:45

Going on Saturday at the Wiltern - both shows Sat. and especially Sunday sold poorly.
All unsold VIP's - and there were many leftovers for Sunday - were converted to standard pricing.
Not surprising as the original VIP prices for the first few rows were an insane $450......
Looking forward to it - paid $62+ fees for a decent balcony seat when initial sales started.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 13, 2019 21:46

TheGreek
Big Al
Out of curiosity are you the "Big Al" on Les Paul Forum ?

Hi, TheGreek. No, that isn’t me.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home