Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Salty liquorice
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 24, 2018 00:51

I'm a big fan of Turkish Pepper or salty liquorice in general. Seems like salty liquorice is an unknown entity in GB, USA and Australia though.
I always wondered why. Can someone provide me with an answer to this very important question?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-25 21:22 by bv.

Re: Completely OT: Salty liquorice
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2018 01:41

Salty licorice was available in my household when I was growing up in California as my Dutch Grandmother came to America from Rotterdam just prior to WWII, along with her culinary habits. The main type I was familiar with were little black diamond shaped pieces which were like hard little rubbery salty pellets, and to be honest I couldn't stand them back then haha. As I grew older and having visited the Netherlands numerous times, I almost acquired a taste for them, but there's dozens of of other types of licorice products they have which are quite a bit more pleasing.

Brief article: Dutch licorice

As for Turkish Pepper, never heard of it until now, and it sounds quite dangerous!!!
Tyrkisk peber (Danish for "Turkish pepper")

"The basic variant is a large, hollow round shell both coated and filled with ammonium chloride powder" eye popping smileywinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-24 01:47 by Hairball.

Date: October 24, 2018 01:50

As pictured above. A salty liquorice candy filled with salmiak powder (ammonium chloride). The Dutch are good with liquorice. As well as beer and chocolate. That goes for Belgium too.

Date: October 24, 2018 02:00

And don't forget the Dutch cheese! And wooden shoes! smiling smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 24, 2018 02:27

I love black licorice but am completely unfamilar with this breed...
Send It To Me!

Enjoyed a pack of Chuckles at lunch today...the black one’s the tops.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 24, 2018 02:57

Just come to Holland and you find them all.......and look for the DZ liquorice (double salted) if you take one of those the first time the corners of your mouth will move to you ears grinning smiley

Date: October 24, 2018 10:33

In Stoneage's country they call the wooden shoes «Cabin Slippers».

I have a pair in my swedish cabin, of course smoking smiley

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: October 24, 2018 11:54

because it's a very acquired taste in my experience. I have tried it a couple of times and haven't warmed to it. My Dutch neighbours eat it like cake

Date: October 24, 2018 11:55

Turkish pepper and liqour is dangerous, but it sure tastes good! smoking smiley

But it's very 90s, isn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-24 12:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 24, 2018 12:30

Pontefract cakes for me!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 24, 2018 14:40

Whenever I am in Holland I take some with me. I like it once in a while. It's a very special thing, and something very Dutch.

As a free man, I take pride in the words "Oranje boven"!

d.f

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 24, 2018 14:49

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-24 14:56 by Chris Fountain.

Date: October 24, 2018 15:11

dead.flowers
Whenever I am in Holland I take some with me. I like it once in a while. It's a very special thing, and something very Dutch.

As a free man, I take pride in the words "Oranje boven"!

d.f

I didn't even know it was dutch. Salty liquorice has been a part of my candy bag since I was a kid smiling smiley

Date: October 24, 2018 17:03

I didn't even know it was dutch.

See there dandy. Is it popular in your place too?

Next time you're in Holland: Every supermarket offers quite a variety of it. To me, it's also a nice souvenir to bring home to someone.

d.f

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 24, 2018 18:59

SKILLS
because it's a very acquired taste in my experience. I have tried it a couple of times and haven't warmed to it. My Dutch neighbours eat it like cake

I'm with SKILLS in that I haven't acquired the taste... I, and my family, was introduced to it by my "Swedish Sister" (whom some of you may have met at the IORR show in London). Knowing that we all enjoyed 'American style' licorice, she got some of the salted variety to share with us. I'm not sure that she has quit laughing about the ensuing hilarity since... Or that we have truly forgiven her for it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 24, 2018 23:16

this site is fantastic.

Date: October 24, 2018 23:26

To me licorice is typically Finnish. Turkish Pepper (as shown on top) is made by Fazer for instance. A Finnish company. When I was a kid we used to take the ferry to Finland and always bought Finnish licorice on board. Of course, licorice is common in most places, but the salty sort more so in Northern Europe I guess. Swedes visiting England or the USA for a longer period of time always sends after salty licorice because it's not sold over there.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: October 24, 2018 23:32

Here in Canada I usually buy my salty liquorice in the bulk candy section at IKEA stores.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 25, 2018 10:45

I couldn't get around with not responding. Being Dutch, I grew up with all those kinds of liquories. It is addictive "food". The salty ones apparently are good for "cleaning" ones intestines too. They also soften a painful throut. But being "a bit" older these days, I became a modest "user", because too much salt could create "other" problems.
Among the thousands I met, so far I met only one Japanese person who loves them too.
Personally I am a big fan of real English liquories. I can eat tons of them. My oldest daughter (living in London) frequently takes lots along when visting us. "Help !!!!"smileys with beer

Date: October 25, 2018 12:36

Found this in the internet:-

The Horrors of Dutch Drop (Liquorice)
Just The Facts
1) The Dutch consume more licorice per year (2000 grams each) than any other country in the world.
2) The Netherlands produces more licorice than any other European country.
3) There are over 80 variations of Dutch licorice.
4) Some variations are flavored with Ammonium Chloride which is also used as cough medicine.

[www.invadingholland.com]

Can eating too much black liquorice be bad for you?
Yes, particularly if you're over 40 and have a history of heart disease or high blood pressure, or both.
Eating more than 57g (2 ounces) of black liquorice a day for at least 2 weeks could lead to potentially serious health problems, such as an increase in blood pressure and an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).

[www.nhs.uk]

Licorice abuse: time to send a warning message
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The second article is from the UK NHS, while the latter is from the US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.

Looks like consumption in the region of a pack a day can possibly harm your health. However, don't let your pleasure be spoiled, but maybe just be a wee bit careful with it.

d.f

Date: October 25, 2018 12:46

What disturbs my rare consumption of the soft type of licorice (Dutch Drop, I believe), which I prefer, is that the thing gets stuck between my teeth and is difficult to get out from there.

d.f

Date: October 25, 2018 13:47

Hockeypowder - a classic when I grew up.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2018 13:54

Hairball
...little black diamond shaped pieces which were like hard little rubbery salty pellets, and to be honest I couldn't stand them back then haha..
quote]

Those sound very much like what were called "Licorice Imps" when I was kid in the 60s . They used to come on a little tin as I recall

Date: October 25, 2018 19:54

This is what I'm referring to Spud - looks like salty mini charcoal nuggets, and that's just about how it tasted! winking smiley

My grandmother always had it in clear plastic bags, and not sure if she had it shipped to her or by a relative, or if it was available in Santa Monica where I grew up.
Might have been as I vaguely remember as a teeny kid a little Dutch bakery that sold various cookies (Speculaas, stroopwafel, etc.), dutch cheeses, and various sweets, etc.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home