Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- David Byrne American utopia tour
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 22, 2018 15:29

Caught this in Leeds last night - brilliantly inventive arena show. Hand held instruments only (meaning between 4-6 drummers in stage with a drum or two each at any one time) lots of talking heads material, Byrne still has a really strong voice and pretty sprightly for 66. Well worth checking out even if (like me) a casual fan. Review from local paper here [www.google.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 15:30 by yorkshirestone.

Re: OT- David Byrne American utopia tour
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 22, 2018 15:42

Fully agree! Have always been a Talking Heads/David Byrne fan and caught this show in London last June. Presumably it was a warm-up for the current bigger tour. It was great!

I tried to post an interview he did on Newsnight a few nights ago, which you can find via Google etc. It's on youtube but when I copy and paste the link it goes to a John Cleese interview instead for some reason.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 15:46 by Beast.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 22, 2018 19:04

Looks like this might be done on Broadway and London's West End.

[www.vulture.com]

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 22, 2018 20:09

I saw it in Gdynia, Poland. A day after The Stones in Prague. It is such a great show. It was good to be back home for a couple of days and get to witness Byrne show as well.

Date: October 22, 2018 22:39

spikenyc
Looks like this might be done on Broadway and London's West End.

[www.vulture.com]

fingers crossed, thanks for this

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 22, 2018 22:56

he's a little too "arty" for me. i saw him at a club show once for large money. did a really short show & at the encore did a whitney houston song (she hadn't died yet) rather than 1 of his good songs. there wasn't much talking heads involved. i'm sure the show is good but i was spoiled by the "stop making sense" show. i saw that about a week before they filmed.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 23, 2018 04:54

Hadn't seen Byrne since seeing the Heads' Stop Making Sense tour twice in 1983, but I saw his new show in May. It's an interesting production with matching suits, no visible amps, and his band carrying all their instruments. Recommended.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 23, 2018 10:21

I had tickets for Friday in Birmingham.

Brother in law received an email to say it was cancelled, no explanation given.

Was so looking forward to this and really disappointed.

I have seen a lot of his shows over the years, even seen talking heads in the seventies.

Date: October 23, 2018 12:52

5 star rating in the Metro newspaper.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 23, 2018 13:50

Big Talking Heads/David Byrne fan . I go back to the beginning of the Talking Heads when I seen them live on there first tour when they were only a 3 piece in a local movie house that would also have shows that were to big for the Rock Show case club that we had in our neck of the woods in the late 70's (other shows that were to big for the club were Johnny Winters, George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers and Uriah Heap ) Talking Heads were an awesome band that had such an infectious groove and there was no sitting thru there shows as you were on your feet and grooving with the band . Such a great vocalist and frontman that David Byrne is , as I am a big fan . Way back in the 80's when they had that movie out and I can't even remember how many times I went to see that movie and it was great , same as if I was attending one of there live shows . Anyway great artist and such a creative /fertile mind that is David Byrne !

Date: October 23, 2018 14:48

TheGreek
Big Talking Heads/David Byrne fan . I go back to the beginning of the Talking Heads when I seen them live on there first tour when they were only a 3 piece in a local movie house that would also have shows that were to big for the Rock Show case club that we had in our neck of the woods in the late 70's (other shows that were to big for the club were Johnny Winters, George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers and Uriah Heap ) Talking Heads were an awesome band that had such an infectious groove and there was no sitting thru there shows as you were on your feet and grooving with the band . Such a great vocalist and frontman that David Byrne is , as I am a big fan . Way back in the 80's when they had that movie out and I can't even remember how many times I went to see that movie and it was great , same as if I was attending one of there live shows . Anyway great artist and such a creative /fertile mind that is David Byrne !

I went to see talking heads around 76, i was kinda forced in to going by my friend and been hooked ever since.

When i went to our local symphony hall a few years back,he started playing life during war time, and i was up dancing straight away, there was an elderly steward running up the steps to stop me, after the song David Byrne announced that he wanted people to dance to his music and for everybody to get up, if they wanted to.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 23, 2018 15:38

I caught his American Utopia show at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall in June and thought it was inventive and brilliant. Being the man of Stop Making Sense, it was predictably arty as almost all of his shows ever were, but that’s how he is. Arty yes, but it does work (and make sense) here.
I didn’t buy a ticket for his current arena show though — guess it may lack some intimacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-26 14:30 by RisingStone.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 23, 2018 17:02

He got a pretty good review in today's Metro from Leeds show.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 23, 2018 18:43

Not a big fan of the choreography or the way the backup singers play towards the audience, but the music is still great and well played.
I listened to the show without watching the video, and it was a better experience for me.

Date: October 23, 2018 23:47

ROLLINGSTONE
He got a pretty good review in today's Metro from Leeds show.

5 stars.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 24, 2018 13:26

Hi Mike and All,

I was lucky enough to see Dave's show in Leeds on Sunday. Ten years ago I saw him and his band play one of the finest shows that I've seen, so no pressure then DB, hah-hah!

In the event, after a slightly slow start due partly to the 'wtf' nature of the stage and the band (no speakers, wires, amps or lights) as the audience adjusted and got into things. After the first Talking Heads' number the place was jumping and at least down on the floor we were up on the bad foot...excellent!

Here
Lazy
I Zimbra
Slippery People
I Should Watch TV
Dog's Mind
Everybody's Coming to My House
This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
Once in a Lifetime
Doing the Right Thing
Toe Jam
(Brighton Port Authority cover)
Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
I Dance Like This
Bullet
Every Day Is a Miracle
Like Humans Do
Blind
Burning Down the House

Encore:
Road to Nowhere
The Great Curve

Encore 2:
Hell You Talmbout

A special mention to the guy who played the bass and was a ringer for Marcelo (he's Brazilian too!)...he was just a marvel. Mind you, it's almost unfair to single-out any of those players as they're all stellar. Go see!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: October 24, 2018 14:02

Thanks Simon.

was supposed to be going on Friday, but cancelled now!!angry smileythumbs down

Glad you enjoyed it thou.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-24 14:41 by odean73.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 24, 2018 14:33

Sounds like a wonderful show and Vintage David Byrne who is a creative and most fertile mind . Bravo !

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 24, 2018 16:43

odean73
Thanks Simon.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that: in light of this, I'll change my take on the show...they were rubbish, you'll miss nowt...waste of time & money etc.!

Hope you're doing good and enjoying some sun!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: October 24, 2018 19:22

Caught the show in London with Beast and have to say the visual impressions he achieves with such minimalism on stage is unique. This is very much a show and not just a concert. What you miss in spontaneity is made up for with polish and choreography. So even though I loved it, and I'm going again in about 4 weeks to the Auckland show, I'm hard pressed to see this solely as a rock and roll event.

Date: October 25, 2018 00:17

SimonN
Hi Mike and All,

I was lucky enough to see Dave's show in Leeds on Sunday. Ten years ago I saw him and his band play one of the finest shows that I've seen, so no pressure then DB, hah-hah!

In the event, after a slightly slow start due partly to the 'wtf' nature of the stage and the band (no speakers, wires, amps or lights) as the audience adjusted and got into things. After the first Talking Heads' number the place was jumping and at least down on the floor we were up on the bad foot...excellent!

Here
Lazy
I Zimbra
Slippery People
I Should Watch TV
Dog's Mind
Everybody's Coming to My House
This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
Once in a Lifetime
Doing the Right Thing
Toe Jam
(Brighton Port Authority cover)
Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
I Dance Like This
Bullet
Every Day Is a Miracle
Like Humans Do
Blind
Burning Down the House

Encore:
Road to Nowhere
The Great Curve

Encore 2:
Hell You Talmbout

A special mention to the guy who played the bass and was a ringer for Marcelo (he's Brazilian too!)...he was just a marvel. Mind you, it's almost unfair to single-out any of those players as they're all stellar. Go see!

Cheers,

Simon.
great pics thanks for these - i was in the cheap seats but enjoyed it enormously

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 25, 2018 09:48

Can't think of anything to add except that his show is breathtakingly good. Almost made up for all those times I missed Talking Heads.

Date: October 25, 2018 11:15

SimonN
odean73
Thanks Simon.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that: in light of this, I'll change my take on the show...they were rubbish, you'll miss nowt...waste of time & money etc.!

Hope you're doing good and enjoying some sun!

Cheers,

Simon.

That's what i wanted to read. >grinning smiley<

Doing okay, thanks. Trust everything is okay with you?

Cheers
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home