Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Nice to see younger generation carrying the torch
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 20, 2018 20:49

You will have to excuse me. I'm an old fart and I have not been following or keeping up with current music, but it is nice to see that rock and roll is still beating out there, and not entirely on life support (LOL)!

[www.yahoo.com]

Re: OT: Nice to see younger generation carrying the torch
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:00

Good god, they are hardly carrying the torch. As we've all said around here, we wish them well but they've proven very little so far and the overhype for both from the press only serves to hurt them. I was praying when I clicked on that link that another band would be listed, these two have gotten so much overhype in the last few years its sickening. And both bands have been around for like 3-4 years, and each have like 12 songs to show for it. Aren't they supposed to be in the prime of their writing career at this age? If you're the future, prove it to me. A newspaper telling me so unfortunately means nothing.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:33

RollingFreak
Good god, they are hardly carrying the torch. As we've all said around here, we wish them well but they've proven very little so far and the overhype for both from the press only serves to hurt them. I was praying when I clicked on that link that another band would be listed, these two have gotten so much overhype in the last few years its sickening. And both bands have been around for like 3-4 years, and each have like 12 songs to show for it. Aren't they supposed to be in the prime of their writing career at this age? If you're the future, prove it to me. A newspaper telling me so unfortunately means nothing.

No worries. Very nice Post. I really appreciate your well crafted and thoughtful posts as you transcend eras of music. Very much appreciated;

As for this Geezer, we aint goin nowhere. Can we beat Clemson? Go Pack!!!! smileys with beer

I think what makes your posts interesting is the sincerity and heartfelt honesty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 21:37 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 21, 2018 01:14

Sighunt
You will have to excuse me. I'm an old fart and I have not been following or keeping up with current music, but it is nice to see that rock and roll is still beating out there, and not entirely on life support (LOL)!

[www.yahoo.com]

Do you think the Stones would still be filling out Stadiums if the younger generation was carrying the torch.
The younger generation aspire to Karaoke competitions like The X factor etc.

I mean people like David Grohl are 50 years old now, not exactly the young generation.

As for the young pretenders in the link, its just copy cat stuff like Karaoke fancy dress, and tonight were going to be the Rolling Stones, where's the originality in that.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 21, 2018 03:27

keithsman
Sighunt

[www.yahoo.com]

Do you think the Stones would still be filling out Stadiums if the younger generation was carrying the torch.
The younger generation aspire to Karaoke competitions like The X factor etc.

I mean people like David Grohl are 50 years old now, not exactly the young generation.

As for the young pretenders in the link, its just copy cat stuff like Karaoke fancy dress, and tonight were going to be the Rolling Stones, where's the originality in that.

Sadly, your observation is arguably correct.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 21, 2018 04:58

keithsman
The younger generation aspire to Karaoke competitions like The X factor etc

This is such a pathetic and untrue assessment and crops up almost every other month on this site. Once again, it shows the baby boomer generation has been irrelevant for decades now and it will be quite a relief once they’re gone.

There are so many incredible songwriters active today - like in any generation. Any other assessment is simply lazy. Stick to your 70s rock and roll records grandmas and grandads.

Best records of this year so far imo:

Amen Dunes - Freedom
Beach House - 7
Jon Hopkins - Singularity
Blood Orange - Negro Swan
Tim Hecker - Konoyo
Let’s Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears
Snail Mail - Lush
Sophie - Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides
Night Shop - In the Break
Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
Kali Uchis - Isolation

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 21, 2018 04:58

The Black Keys show promise. The Black Crowes were amazing at the outset, but ultimately as limited as INXS in their own way. Many bands recall the Stones, but only aspects of them. I have yet to find a band that is Stonesish that can switch between blues, r&b, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, hard rock, soul, funk, disco, reggae, country, jazz, world beat, etc. so successfully. It's hard enough to play different styles convincingly without just sounding like an imitation. It's another matter to write original songs in these style and put your mark on the songs. I'm glad there's still bands out there that listen to the right material and try. It's a different world now and I suspect the forces that helped shape the Stones are simply too far gone (to borrow a phrase) to ever give us their equal or better.

Date: October 21, 2018 05:23

Bastion
Once again, it shows the baby boomer generation has been irrelevant for decades now and it will be quite a relief once they’re gone.

Really glad you enjoy so much new music. I haven't heard of any of these artists and probably never will, but that's okay. I am sincerely happy you have found so much joy in work outside of the mainstream.

That said, your repeated vitroil in looking forward to when all the Babyboomers are dead is childish and ugly and a bit concerning that you've voiced such a statement here more than once. Considering it's a website for a band in their seventies, it seems a bit ignorant as a start.

Presuming you're no longer a teenager yourself, your longing for when everyone born before 1965 are dead and gone suggests you are either an unpleasant piece of work yourself for wishing ill on an entire generation or in dire need of mental health assistance. Quite frankly, I don't care if you report me to Bjornulf for making this personal. You are beyond rude and are frankly deliberately offensive. You sound like a spoiled, petulant child longing for the day when everyone older than you are dead so you aren't misunderstood or irritated ever again.

Grow up or get help. Truly. I say this with no malice or anger towards you.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 21, 2018 05:33

He was joking Rocky,I’m sitting home a little under the weather so I got enough free time to look those bands up on you tube.
I was on the third one before I caught on,he was winding us up.
Hats off to you Bastion,how did you find that much 80s synth rock in today’s world?

Date: October 21, 2018 05:39

While the troll aspect is interesting, lem, I never would have caught on. I frankly don't see the point. If he's just trying to get Bjornulf's goat, just make rude remarks about a-ha or fjords.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2018 06:00

I could be remembering wrong, but I think it was Bastion who became irrationally upset when I criticized Myley Cyrus's singing a while back!!!

Date: October 21, 2018 06:14

I don't think it was, but nearly everyone picks on you, Hairball so I can understand the confusion.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 21, 2018 06:18

I may just be clueless and “Amen Dunes”are gonna drop the next Electric Ladyland on us any day now

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2018 06:37

Rocky Dijon
I don't think it was, but nearly everyone picks on you, Hairball so I can understand the confusion.

It's Not Easy Being Me....isn't that the title to one of those younger generation songs? grinning smiley

Date: October 21, 2018 06:45

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 21, 2018 07:42

As ridiculous as it sounds, Miley Cyrus actually had a pretty great album a few years ago with The Flaming Lips. Again, I'm as far from a fan as you can get, but she has solid pipes and there were some solid real songs on the record.

[www.youtube.com]

There's good stuff out there and I like to think I'm not close minded. But in terms of rock, most of them are just posing. I enjoyed seeing The Struts open for the Foo Fighters a couple months back but in the end they were basically just a Queen knock off. Which is good to be but again, unless you're knocking out song after great song then its hard to get behind them. I get behind bands and then they die after an album, so I'm sick of it. Prove to me you can be consistent and you're actually hungry and I'll give you a shot. I don't mind being late to the party, cause its so much worse getting there early only to see a great band die right out the gate. Remember that band Vintage Trouble a few years ago? Opened for The Who? They never went anywhere. It happens a lot. The Strypes a few years ago? That Jake Bugg guy who looked like Keith? They all go nowhere. I hope Greta and the Struts are different but I'm fairly certain they won't be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 07:45 by RollingFreak.

Date: October 21, 2018 08:27

lem motlow
He was joking Rocky,I’m sitting home a little under the weather so I got enough free time to look those bands up on you tube.
I was on the third one before I caught on,he was winding us up.
Hats off to you Bastion,how did you find that much 80s synth rock in today’s world?

Rocky Dijon
While the troll aspect is interesting, lem, I never would have caught on. I frankly don't see the point. If he's just trying to get Bjornulf's goat, just make rude remarks about a-ha or fjords.

Is this a joke? Don’t speak for me. I’m not “trolling”. Granted, the synth sound is quite popular for 2018. Perhaps try Parquet Courts or Idles if you only swear by guitars - Although PC do have a few keyboards and synths. But it’s sad and childish to write off an entire artist because of that.

Date: October 21, 2018 08:44

Or you can try Deerhunter - Monomania.

Date: October 21, 2018 09:04

I didn't think Bastion was trolling or joking. I agree with him on most of those names. Deerhunter is awesome. Blood Orange too.
I like Miley Cyrus a lot too.
The Black Keys show promise? They've been around for almost 20 years with 8 albums to show; spin off bands; big production jobs for other acts. Theyre a very strong rockn roll act.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 21, 2018 11:13

For some talent - great songs, charisma, and top ten hits with an experimental edge, you should check out Arctic Monkeys.

Hardly brand new (been around are about a decade), but are carving an original path (not dressing like a fancy dress Rod Steward like the acts mentioned by the OP), and keep mixing it up with each album.

Date: October 21, 2018 11:34

I've been enjoying Lay Low from Iceland some years now. She's great!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 21, 2018 11:42

DandelionPowderman

Iceland has Lay Low and Bjork. When is Greenland going to come around? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 21, 2018 13:40

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman

Iceland has Lay Low and Bjork. When is Greenland going to come around? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Iceland also has Sigur Ros. The drummer is the son of one of the long time IORR-posters.

Greenland is Danish, isn't it? smiling smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 21, 2018 13:50

whoa! Which poster is the Sigur Ros father?

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 21, 2018 13:55

Check out "Badlands" by Dirty Beaches (2011). Sounds like an album Gene Vincent and Link Wray could have recorded in a garage recently.

Dirty Beaches was a project by Alex Zhang Hungtai from Taiwan. He is now working under his real name, but has also released music as "Last Lizard", "Trouble" and "Love Theme". His music is hard to classify, he touches upon many genres like rock, jazz, world music, electronica, but it always comes out sounding like him, totally original, the real deal. Of course he is never mentioned in the mainstream media.

Dirty Beaches "Badlands" (2011): [www.youtube.com]
Dirty Beaches live 2011: [www.youtube.com]
Trouble "Snake Eyes": [www.youtube.com]
Love Theme "Love Theme" (2017): [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 21, 2018 17:01

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman

Iceland also has Sigur Ros. The drummer is the son of one of the long time IORR-posters.

Greenland is Danish, isn't it? smiling smiley
I know they are not from Iceland, but they may as well be - British Sea Power. Incredible band; just incredible. The one to start with is the first album "The Decline of..." real anthems; great vocals. But "Do you like Rock Music?" is also tops; all their albums are.

Date: October 21, 2018 18:00

peoplewitheyes
whoa! Which poster is the Sigur Ros father?

I think his moniker is 6853.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 21, 2018 18:38

What a funny place IORR.

Rock n Roll? Nah, I don’t hear ANY new rock n roll that is to my liking, sorry.
I still say it must have been the cannibus grown in the late ‘60’s thru the 70’s decade that gave us the magic. Maybe Roundup glyphosate in the 80’s started the decline....

For new music, which I hear daily as I chauffeur people <18,
it’s all
SAMPLED songs from old greatest hits!
Find an old tune that was already written and has the hard unique work completed and a measured done success,
and use it in a ‘new’ song, throw a fresh jive over it,
and there is today’s ‘new’ music all over the radio eye rolling smiley

Date: October 21, 2018 18:49

35love
What a funny place IORR.

Rock n Roll? Nah, I don’t hear ANY new rock n roll that is to my liking, sorry.
I still say it must have been the cannibus grown in the late ‘60’s thru the 70’s decade that gave us the magic. Maybe Roundup glyphosate in the 80’s started the decline....

For new music, which I hear daily as I chauffeur people <18,
it’s all
SAMPLED songs from old greatest hits!
Find an old tune that was already written and has the hard unique work completed and a measured done success,
and use it in a ‘new’ song, throw a fresh jive over it,
and there is today’s ‘new’ music all over the radio eye rolling smiley
But don't you think that this is what pop music is anyway? Even back then? You could make a case for 'Satisfaction" and "Last Time
being exactly what you just described. Led Zep we don't even have to go there. So much of 60's output are those R&R changes, which are a straight lift from the Blues. And in the old Blues itself the lines blur in a big way.
It gets harder and harder as time progresses to come up with that 'new twist'. That is why sampling, mash-ups can be flat out brilliant, or just a sad joke. More and more has been done. But even when it is just another straight rocker in E - one can never deny the fire and hope of youth; that longs to change the world. And when it is honest will make the listener believe it too.
In lyrics music is constantly moving ahead.
I love so much of new music; even if I would not listen to it twice, I love that it happens. How one has to consider all the contexts: that when I listen to Spiritualized or the Melvins I have to consider that they know their history, that they are both huge Stonesfans, and that it isn't cynicism, but love for art that makes them turn a few factors upside down.

Date: October 21, 2018 19:08

My reaction to sampling is the same as it was in the dreadful Biz Markie example the Dust Brothers grafted onto the Stones. I don't see it the same as borrowing from folk or blues or gospel at all. That's a new work influenced by an earlier work. Sampling is taking (with or without permission) an earlier recording and using it in a fashion that was never intended. It's a bit like the public domain abuses that allow you to take Jane Austen and add Sea Monsters or Zombies to the plot.

As for The Black Keys being an established band, perhaps it's the definitions that do it. I'm aware of them from an appearance on the Stones' 2012 PPV special and one song that I've heard on the radio sporadically since that time. If my kids were bringing home their albums or going to their shows, I might be aware they're an established band. Otherwise, they show promise because they managed to slightly get onto the radar of the mainstream. I liked what I heard enough but not enough to keep digging. I don't have enough time now to pursue all that interests me so most new groups will never be heard by me. As I'm nearing 50, I'm okay with that. There's still so much obscure great material from the past as I'm reminded of every time a friend from Down Under sends me a compilation of rare gems.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home