Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Interview with Darryl Jones
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 15, 2018 21:40

Re: Interview with Darryl Jones
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 15, 2018 22:01

Thanks roller for posting this.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 15, 2018 22:05

"As Darryl explained to me when I asked if he has to deal with those comparisons to Bill Wyman, he responded, “No, not that much, man. And to be honest, I’m told that there are sites and places where people may be a little bit more critical of what I’m playing and say, ‘That’s not what Wyman played!’ but I don’t really encounter that kind of stuff. I’m not a review reader."

Date: October 15, 2018 22:06

“There’s been some work done on the new album, but I think they’re just gonna require a little bit more. I haven’t heard anything more about when that’s gonna happen, but yeah, you know, I think they should finish, there’s some good stuff there.”

I suggest to Jones that many fans actually want the band to shelve the new album and put together a follow-up to Blue and Lonesome, to which he replied, “That’s a great idea, I hadn’t thought about that. I do remember hearing that the fans had wanted the band to do an album like that since before I joined the group, so that album was long overdue.”

Date: October 15, 2018 22:08

"They’re all playing bass now. Mick played bass on something on A Bigger Bang, I think. They all play bass on stuff. I’ll come in and they’ll say, ‘We need you to play on four tracks or five tracks and oh, hey, check out the one that I played bass on.’ I think the way Keith and Ronnie play the guitar is kind of based on the bass, or based on the root. You know what I mean? Obviously, they are playing harmony and stuff, but there is something about both of them that I call them bass players. I think that we should look up the track that Mick plays bass on and take a listen to it. They’ve been playing with the band long enough to know what to play and make it work. I don’t think there’s any problem with that. I think that’s great.”

Date: October 15, 2018 22:09

"One last thing: The Rolling Stones are purported to be in the planning stages for a continuation of the No Filter tour in early 2019. This leg of the tour will be taking place in the USA, the cities have not been announced yet. You heard it here first!"

Surprisingly good interview. Thanks for sharing!

Date: October 15, 2018 22:56

Rocky Dijon
"One last thing: The Rolling Stones are purported to be in the planning stages for a continuation of the No Filter tour in early 2019. This leg of the tour will be taking place in the USA, the cities have not been announced yet. You heard it here first!"

Surprisingly good interview. Thanks for sharing!

Surprisingly? Does Darryl typically not give good interviews? He was really cool with me, and it made the trip to London even better. Between that, the IORR band, and the shows, it made for a wonderful trip.

Date: October 16, 2018 00:04

I used the word because most interviews tend to make for bland reading or listening as people are guarded in their responses. Chuck's recent podcast is a perfect example. I've heard and read other Darryl interviews and he likewise usually plays it safe in his responses. This was a relaxed conversation and consequently seemed more honest and interesting.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 16, 2018 00:06

roller99 thank you
‘perched capriciously on the abyss’ I like Darryl.
It stings a little reading VIP Savoy hotel ticket lady only the shi-shi old timers get to use? I realize you’re press, but, exclusive members only?
It sounds pretentious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-16 00:36 by 35love.

Date: October 16, 2018 00:39

I noticed Darryl was ‘a good listener’ too.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 16, 2018 01:30

Thanks for posting this. Many interesting questions asked and answered! I have
seen Darryl and his solo band a couple times - they are very good and I highly
recommend. His upcoming show, next weekend in Chicago, was just postponed
until February. Reason given was a “unforeseen conflict/commitment”. So maybe
Darryl is being brought back into the studio to finish the new album prior to
the new tour? Keep a positive thought anyway!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 16, 2018 10:55

" but you’re saying the real serious super fans definitely want to hear more obscure stuff?”.......I hope he passes this onto Mick and Keef.Mind you the cynic in me says they already know that.It's easier for them to stick to the warhorses.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: October 16, 2018 11:13

Thanks roller !thumbs up

Date: October 16, 2018 11:41

Excellent stuff, Ivor! thumbs up

A great read - I really enjoyed this.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 16, 2018 15:46

Great interview, Roller99! Very enjoyable reading, thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 16, 2018 16:37

"It has been sung countless times by Mick Jagger that “It’s only rock and roll,” and not to take anything away from the band, but the music isn’t that complex, and doesn’t seem like much of a stretch for someone who has played with Miles Davis. Pick up a bass sometime and try to follow what Miles was doing, and you’ll just end up scratching your head, but pick up a bass and follow the Rolling Stones and you’ll find most of their catalog is quite easy to play"

You're terribly wrong Mr. Journo... eye rolling smiley

[And YES it's the interviewer who made this bold and silly claim, not Darryl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-16 17:36 by dcba.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 16, 2018 16:48

dcba
"It has been sung countless times by Mick Jagger that “It’s only rock and roll,” and not to take anything away from the band, but the music isn’t that complex, and doesn’t seem like much of a stretch for someone who has played with Miles Davis. Pick up a bass sometime and try to follow what Miles was doing, and you’ll just end up scratching your head, but pick up a bass and follow the Rolling Stones and you’ll find most of their catalog is quite easy to play"

Yes - one piece of evidence: Consider the bass "runs" on Still Life These are original and simply a stellar performance by Wyman on one of my fav albums. Wyman owns this album.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 16, 2018 16:51

dcba

Just for the record, the above quote is not DJ speaking, but the premise to the interviewer's question.

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 16, 2018 17:05

You wouldn't expect any dog to bite the hand that feeds it....

...but its evident from this [and from other interviews with Darryl down the years] that he really respects them as musicians.

...Unlike a few folks on these pages.

I think Daryll is in a far better place to judge than most.

Date: October 16, 2018 17:10

35love
roller99 thank you
‘perched capriciously on the abyss’ I like Darryl.
It stings a little reading VIP Savoy hotel ticket lady only the shi-shi old timers get to use? I realize you’re press, but, exclusive members only?
It sounds pretentious.

I suppose that's one way to look at it, as pretentious. However, picking up tickets at the Savoy has nothing to do with being "Press". The entire thing is meant to lift up the curtain a little and show people how some of the machine works. There are many people here on this board who will know precisely what I'm describing. Most responses have been along that line, nobody has said it sounds pretentious, but, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. A member of "the press" would pick up tickets at the Will Call, not the Savoy.

Date: October 16, 2018 18:23

Coupled with the explanation of your Fonda show, if you don’t get a chance to see them up close you are missing important nuances, special room at the elite London Savoy, and hinting the ticket lady is ‘known’ to those in ‘the know’
all this special out of reach to 90% of us that put blood sweat toil and cash into this for years, or have literally been thru helll trying to get a lousy ticket to any RS show.
It came off as pretentious to me, I’m sorry. I enjoy you as a journalist.

Date: October 16, 2018 18:48

35love
Coupled with the explanation of your Fonda show, if you don’t get a chance to see them up close you are missing important nuances, special room at the elite London Savoy, and hinting the ticket lady is ‘known’ to those in ‘the know’
all this special out of reach to 90% of us that put blood sweat toil and cash into this for years, or have literally been thru helll trying to get a lousy ticket to any RS show.

It's describing journalism. He's taking us in there - we're right there with him.

A perfect build-up to the encounter, imo.

Date: October 16, 2018 19:24

35love

Well, I'm glad you enjoy me as a journalist. Just an FYI, the Fonda show had zero to do with any connection, it had to do with information Bjornulf posted here. Every other show I've been to, I have had to pay full price, so I essentially get the same access as you. It's what you do with that access that makes a difference. You've had the same chances as I have.

Date: October 16, 2018 19:25

DandelionPowderman
35love

It's describing journalism. He's taking us in there - we're right there with him.

Thanks Dandy, that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2018 19:39

DandelionPowderman
35love

Yes, it's interesting to read someone who has had the actual experiences describing them, and why would he hold back describing all of that for his readers? Conveying that experience gives context to his story, and also lends credibility - he's not just another critic writing another generic story about the worlds greatest rock and roll band. He's been there/done that, and having been up close in a small venue several times myself, I know exactly what he's talking about as many others do. And for those who haven't, shouldn't it all be interesting to read about it? Considering these are actual firsthand experiences he's had, and there's no exaggeration of that reality, I don't see it as pretentious at all - but rather a skillfully/creatively written piece. As for the Savoy ticket pickup, I'm reading that's where VIP tix were to be picked up; I'm assuming roller had a VIP and is here to tell us about the process. Clearly he had an amazing experience, and it was a a pleasure to read all about it, not to mention getting to know Darryl better (and the inner workings of the band) through the interview itself.
Good stuff roller. thumbs up

"One last thing: The Rolling Stones are purported to be in the planning stages for a continuation of the No Filter tour in early 2019.
This leg of the tour will be taking place in the USA, the cities have not been announced yet. You heard it here first"!

A continuation of the No Filter Tour? Not a brand new tour with a different name?

Date: October 16, 2018 20:08

It’s just some feedback/ my opinion Roller99,
on how the article/ interview with Darryl Jones is viewed by me.
I did not feel I was going anywhere with you.
I felt you were telling us you were special.
LOL.

I’m sorry. I need a break.

Date: October 16, 2018 20:17

P.S. Rollerball99,
Unlike your Led Zeppelin LA court 2 part series, which I DID feel like I was with you step by step. I promoted that article, btw.

So I’m honest. This was struck me different. Take it or leave it.
But you posted the article here for us to read and comment.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 16, 2018 22:03

I do hope 35love and roller99 will kiss and make up and then get a room

Date: October 16, 2018 22:07

According to experts Darryl is an extraordinary and superb bassist. He is technically light years away from Bill. In fact he is more than this band needs, technically. He is too good. Ok. It would be absurd to question this obviousness

BUT ...

do not ask why...

BUT

the way I feel RS music with Bill is the way RS music must sound.

I mean....I do not know if Bill himself or Mick or Ketih are aware of Bill's contribution....

No Bill no stones sound.

I do not expect support....this is just the way I feel...

No Bill no pure stones sound anymore.

Date: October 16, 2018 22:17

Hairball
A continuation of the No Filter Tour? Not a brand new tour with a different name?

Some have dismissed it as baseless speculation, but it's been out there for awhile that NO FILTER was intended as the album title when it was hoped the album would be ready for 2017 release. If the stage is staying and the tour name isn't changing, it's still a very real possibility it will also be the album name next year. Of course, some people don't believe they'll ever finish the album...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home